Tuck thinks Giants can frustrate, confuse Brady

AP

Giants defensive end Justin Tuck thinks that if the front four gets to Tom Brady on Sunday, the Patriots are in trouble.

Tuck said today that he believes Brady will struggle if the Giants bring enough pressure.

“I think it starts with hitting him, even when you don’t actually get sacks, just keeping people around him so he can’t step up,” Tuck said. “I think he gets a little frustrated when he has to go to his second or third receivers. You can kind of confuse him sometimes with our coverage. I think there are a lot of things that can get him rattled, but it just seems like not too many people are able to do that.”

Tuck sacked Brady twice in Super Bowl XLII and said that pressuring him will be the key to Super Bowl XLVI.

“We had a lot of hits on him,” Tuck said. “Even when we didn’t hit him, he didn’t have the time to sit back there and allow some of the routes to develop. We know that as a D-line, we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to make sure that we are in his face. He is a hell of a quarterback, and he is going to do a lot of things to throw us off our rhythm.”

And Tuck will be trying to throw Brady off his rhythm.

77 responses to “Tuck thinks Giants can frustrate, confuse Brady

1. And so it begins. Hey – maybe Tuck will be right – or maybe Brady picks them apart and the Giants are reeling from 5 straight completions.

Given two weeks to regroup – I like Bellicheck and Brady being able to “do their thing”. 🙂

2. Everyone seems sure this is going to play out like their last Super Bowl meeting.

I don’t expect that.

3. I was waiting for a quote like this to be posted. I see no big deal. I would say the same thing if someone like Andre Carter said the same thing about Eli. ANY QB that is pressured will have his timing thrown off. And if it’s a consistent thing it can be frustrating. No secret about that.

4. not saying the giants will win….am saying that if they start smacking him around he’ll fold. he’s probably the greatest of all time but he fears getting punched in the mouth. its probably the one thing that eli decidedly has over brady. giants gameplan will be to physically hurt brady. and by hurt, i mean make him feel physical pain.

5. Can we PLEASE not spend the next week talking about how “you can beat Brady if you pressure with just four down linemen.”

OF COURSE THAT’S TRUE. It’s true of any quarterback, ever. If you have a pass-first offense, prolific pass rushers make it a tougher game. It’s insane that people pass this off for insight.

6. The Giants have been shutting down mobile QBs (Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Matty Ice, Romo and Sanchez) for the past 5 games. Facing a sitting duck like Tommy for once will have Perry Fewell & Co. foaming at the mouth.

Giants 31, Patriots 13.

7. This isn’t the same O-line for NE that played in SB42 with the exceptions of Mankins and Light. They are going to have a harder time getting to Brady as often as they did especially if Seabass can play and be productive.

8. Woe woe woe, you mean that if this “quarterback” fellow fears being destroyed by 300lb men running at him at full speed and driving him into the ground he becomes frustrated?

I’d be the next level, maybe “angry” even.

This is quite similar to the story on here, “Tom Fraidy.” Who knew QBs were fearful of being killed by large angry men growling at them. All good info.

9. If he had said anything else, everyone here would be commenting that he’s talking trash or the Giants are getting way too overconfident or he should be more media savvy. He gives the media savvy, non-provocative answer and everyone here is mocking him for it. Sounds like there are just people out there who’ll always want to complain about what comes out of the mouths of athletes.

10. Giants keep flappin’ those gums about “getting pressure on Brady”…. they better hope they do get to him, pressure him and knock him out of rhythm…. because that is all they have.

The Giants are a 1-trick pony, and if they can’t get to him, if a very good Patriots front holds up……. the G-Men lose by 24 or more.

11. habsman says:Jan 30, 2012 8:50 PM

What happens if the Giants can’t get to him?
    —————————————————-
    The same thing if the Pats don’t get any pressure on Eli, one very high scoring game!!

12. One thing is for sure: if the Pats lose, their fans will immediately flood the internet with complaints about the officiating. After their last SB loss, the Pats whiners were circulating a petition on the internet to replay the last two minutes or so of the game because the officials stopped the clock on the Giants’ last drive to spot the ball properly. That deserved the Lombardi for Sore Losers.

13. Sitting here tonight drinking Pabst I can’t help but wish I had Tom Brady’s life. Who knows, maybe tomorrow on my way to the shop Adriana Lima needs me to help her fix a flat and I do it w/ such precision that she falls for me right there.

14. Wait, you’re telling me it’s frustrating when you get to the QB before his routes can develop? Say it ain’t so!

Tuck better be careful. This team is different because it doesn’t rely on going deep. Routes can develop more easily. If the Pats stubbornly decide to pass every play though this will be an easy win for the Giants. You can’t let them pin their ears back and go for Tom.

15. TheWizard says:
    Jan 30, 2012 7:51 PM

I don’t expect that.

I agree…you may fool BB and TB once..but given another chance..they won’t let this SB go in the same direction as the last time..or even last game for that matter!!

16. habsman says:

What happens if the Giants can’t get to him?

he was sacked 32 times this year….even the giants medicore o-line proected thier QB better.

the giants have the best pass-rushing front four in the nfl.

your question is ridiculous.

17. Brady took a pounding in XLII but he still walked
    off with the lead.The more these guys talk the
    more confident I feel for a Pats W.I don’t remember
    Giants talking this much in XLII.

18. Can’t wait for the silence from all giants fans at about 10:30 on Sunday night…it will be epic…I’ve never seen fans of a 9-7 team drink so much much kool aid.

19. If the Giants can’t get to Brady then he’ll put up big numbers but I don’t think the Pats can stop the Giants O, so it could be a barn burner.

20. Wear the clownish green Subway windbreaker if you want to confuse him Justin.

BTW, does it still cheese you off, being “underdogs” and all?

21. The more I hear the Giants’ 9-7 D-Line talk about how good they are, the more I think it will be Wilfork and the Patriots D-Line that is the better group in Super Bowl XLVI. Rex Grossman wasn’t too rattled when he SWEPT “big blue”, beating them by TWO TD’s in each game.

22. “Captain Obvious” – good one. I think I’ve heard that many different times in many different places, it’s still good.

BREAKING NEWS – THE TEAM THAT SCORES MORE POINTS THAN THE OTHER TEAM WILL WIN THE GAME!!!!!!!!

23. vikingsrdue says:Jan 30, 2012 7:49 PM

What Tuck said can be said about every single other QB in the NFL
    ——-
    Not true. Guys like big Ben have generally been able to avoid pressure and get it done because they are mobile.

When has Brady taken 5+ sacks and still come out victorious?

Go google 49ers vs eagles 1989 and read up on it.
    Montana took 8 sacks from the eagles and still threw 5 tds and won. That eagles dl (with white, brown, Simmons, etc was more ferocious than this giants dl

24. patriotinvasion says:
    Jan 30, 2012 10:19 PM
    Didn’t the Giants give up more points than they scored this season? Didn’t realize we were playing the ’85 Bears again.

————————————————————————————–

It’s a completely different team, therefore bringing up the regular season pretty much doesn’t mean anything. Giants lost to Green Bay and San Francisco in the regular season, what about the play-offs?

And if for some reason I would actually want to bring up the regular season regarding what happened I can bring up that the Giants did beat New England at New England. So really each one isn’t good.

25. bingobrown12 says:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:21 PM
    Brady took a pounding in XLII but he still walked
    off with the lead.The more these guys talk the
    more confident I feel for a Pats W.I don’t remember
    Giants talking this much in XLII.

———————————————————————–

Actually I would say that Giants were worse then. Honestly, Tuck’s quote is no mystery, and it’s for all QB’s. In Super Bowl XLII Burress predicted Giants winning 21-17, the newspaper had a picture of Burress with a crystal ball with that score in it.

Also something that I bet you 9 out of 10 people didn’t realize about that Giants team. With the exception of almost a handful of people the Giants arrived at Arizona wearing black. It wasn’t coincidence. They were “going to a funeral”, as in the death of the Patriots undefeated season. Trust me, Giants did more then than now.

26. I cant stand either SB team this year, so that gives me total objectivity to the outcome- special teams play will decide the winner in the Patriots favor.

27. patriotinvasion says:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:41 PM

———
    You know someone has a lousy DL when they can only mention one guy. The only guy who was any good was carter and he’s on IR.

I love when these pats fans bring up redskins. These are the same skins that poured 27 points on patsies and took them to the wire.
    Patsies that beat one team with a winning record. ONE!!!

Somehow I feel there will be a lot of silence from the pats on Sunday night.

28. BIG difference IMO is the NE tight ends. Even if theGronk is limited he will play. If his primary thing is as a decoy and a blocked that’s fine because Hernandez’ thing is to get open quicker, add that to
    Welker or Branch and the no-huddle offense that the Pats use it could get interesting.

Notice how the Pats seem to enjoy the underdog thing?

They WILL show up Sunday night.

29. @situs I know the teams are different, but just don’t understand how 3 wins makes the Giants D the greatest D we have ever seen when the same players allowed 1,000,000 points this year and got swept by the Redskins. That is all still on tape for Belichick to try to exploit.

30. Confuse Brady????

Good Luck with That.

Pats are out for blood this time around. Wilfork will have his best game yet and the Pats will win by 4 TD’s.

Belichick’s favorite words: “No Mercy”

31. patfromwayback says:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:14 PM
    TheWizard says:
    Jan 30, 2012 7:51 PM

I don’t expect that.

———
    Somehow November doesn’t matter now? It’s a trend, not a fluke.

32. You know, everyone likes to bring up that game earlier in the year, but that game was a complete joke. I bit my tongue at the time, but give me a break, two very questionable 40+ pass interference calls in the final two minutes for the Giants. Yeah, really great win. Also what was the score, 50-52 or something like that. Giants D looked really elite that day (sarcasm). This game is Eli vs. Brady… anything else is just bonus. The Patriots *and Giants* have had a terrible defense for the entire regular season, just because they played well in a few recent games doesn’t undo that.

33. bobhk says:
    Jan 31, 2012 3:20 AM
    patriotinvasion says:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:41 PM

———

Patsies that beat one team with a winning record. ONE!!!

Somehow I feel there will be a lot of silence from the pats on Sunday night.

———–

And the refs aided THAT win for NE. That flimsy call on London Fletcher turned the tide of the game. You won’t hear Patsies fans admit that, either.

34. patriotinvasion says:
    Jan 31, 2012 7:46 AM

———-

What does the Redskins game have to do with SUNDAY? Just give credit where it is due. I know you don’t want to sit there and think the Patsies are going to lose, but get out of here with this nonsense — along with the rest of you citing stats that have NOTHING to do with the guys who are on the field Sunday and HEALTHY; unlike the duration of the season where those stats were compiled.

35. For all of the “All-Time Great” talk you hear about Brady, I’ve never seen any other All-Time Great QB fold under pressure as easily as he does.

36. This Giants team is much better than the one who beat a superior NE team in ’07, no question. They will sack Brady and put pressure on him, but the Pats will do the same to Eli. This is going to be a tremendous game between two great teams who refuse to lose. I hope the team that plays better wins and the Refs don’t put their stamp on it. Go Pats!

37. “Brady took a pounding in XLII but he still walked
    off with the lead.The more these guys talk the
    more confident I feel for a Pats W.I don’t remember
    Giants talking this much in XLII.”

Trash???!! What is wrong with you Pats fans? You do realize there is a thing called an interview correct? And in order to make said interview work there needs to be answers? Answers are automatically trash to you people and that is plain retarded. No wonder the whole league hates you and your team.

38. Why are some of you referencing the Giants team of October and November? WE SUCKED BACK THEN compared to now.

You are all in for a rude awakening come Sunday night. The AFC is WEAK, and just because you’re here doesn’t make you great.

TJ Yates, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Tim Tebow.

Seriously, this was your competition. GET REAL.

39. Why is any of this news? Seriously…I can’t think of any QB that likes pressure, getting hit, etc. When people play things out like “The way to beat Tom Brady is _________”, it is usually a statement that would apply to ANY QB in the NFL.

I think that the Giants D line will find it harder this time around because, unlike 42, the O line is actually nearly 100% healthy. The guards are both All-Pro caliber guys. The tackles are solid. Koppen is the only weak link, really, and he has help. Obviously, the Giants D line guys are great players, but to make it like they can’t be stopped is a bit of a stretch.

40. @Mr. Wright 212

The Pats also got a pick wiped off the boards from a “roughing the passer” that was even more ridiculous than the call against Fletcher. The Fletcher call was, in part, correct, but I really think it was somewhat of a makeup call because that drive resulted in a TD. It’s not nearly as close of a game if that TD is wiped off the boards.

Both teams have been shaky on defense. Both have been playing well lately. No surprise that they are in the SB. But to those who are overconfident because of how the Pats almost lost to Baltimore, remember that the Giants are 1 muffed punt return, 1 terrible officiating ruling, or any number of missed picks away from sitting at home right now. The Pats won IN SPITE of playing poorly. I cannot really say the same for the Giants.

41. There IS a way to keep a great pass rush at bay, and it’s called BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Start the game by running the Law Firm and the play action will follow. Keep Brady under center more often to confuse the Giants D. THAT’s how you take care of a good pass rush.

42. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 31, 2012 8:49 AM

_____________

Fletcher hit Brady when the Pats were already in field goal range, and they ended up settling for a FG on that drive anyway. Let’s not forget the horrid roughing the passer call on Carter that negated a McCourty INT. Pats scored 34 and beat the Redskins IN Washington. Giants lost both times to them by TWO TOUCHDOWNS. Difference.

43. marinephinfan says: Jan 31, 2012 8:54 AM

_________

One of the dumbest comments of all time. I wouldn’t expect anything else from a fan of Fiedler, Lemon, Harrington, Feeley, Henne and Moore. I hope Gloria Estefan and J-Lo look pretty in the Dolphin’s draft War Room. HA!

44. Except the Pats have no running game.
    To the poster who wrote Pats win by 4 TDs- please! Do you even watch football? The fact that most experts are picking the Giants and agree that as of this moment, Giants are better team, means nothing to you, I guess?

45. @patriotinvasion
    (very lengthy)
    They definitely not are the greatest, but the defense is much better than they were for most of the season. Look at what they did the last 5 games AFTER losing to the Redskins. Prior to the Jets game, Giants were inconsistent health wise. Not an excuse but fact.

Also, Perry Fewell now has been more aggressive particularly since the defense was much healthier against the Jets, especially Justin Tuck. As a Patriot fan you should be very familiar with Perry Fewell. He can be great, just like he can call the softest defenses anyone has ever seen.

Remember when Patriots beat them 56-10? OK, one particular formation really got to me. Perry Fewell called a 2 MAN LINE on one play. Now, can you tell me what good is a two man line? Does that make the guys in coverage bad because their d-coordinator thinks that giving arguably the best QB in the league and future hall of famer 15-20 seconds to throw to one of his 5 options?

As a Giant I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen so many undersized three man lines. For one just look at the line on 4th down Bills @ Giants. Giants had 3 d-linemen, with Jason Pierre Paul as the NT. Now, is it his fault the d-coordinator is putting players badly out of place?

Osi has been in and out of the line-up, Tuck missed 4 games, but really was playing with injuries for more than half of the games he’s played in, Giants had to play 4 different guys at MLB (rookie 6th round pick Greg Jones, Michael Boley, rookie Mark Herzlich, and now Chase Blackburn). They even had to rely heavily on a revolving door of nickel backs (Michael Coe, Justin Tryon, Prince Amukamara, and currently Antrel Rolle) due to the crazy amount of injuries at CB.

Giants strength on defense is the pass rush, and it is more effective with a healthy rotation, which is what they had for the Jets game and moving forward. The DT’s have also played better and some rookies and younger guys have improved. Another thing is the Giants have CB’s that are better in man coverage, which is what they’ve implemented more. With the Giants being able to mostly get pressure with 4 guys, they can play man to man with safety help on top much more effectively than prior. Also, this has led to quite a few coverage sacks.

Giants defense is much better than they were most of the season. Look at the points they’ve given up lately. They are much improved due to health, better scheming, and better execution. With that being said the defense is not unstoppable. Actually there are some weaknesses that can be exploited. Sorry about the very long response.

46. It was long, but made sense. At least you know what you are talking about. So, to sum up, even if Giants give up two long TD’s to Welker and one to Gronk or Hernandez, that is still only 21. I do not think Pats D will hold Giants to under 21.

47. I’ve only heard four or five reasonable Pats fans comment on here for the past 10 days and I respect them.

The rest? Not so much.

It’s one thing to be a fan and hope that the team is going to win regardless. We did that in 2007. But to sit there and act as if the Giants don’t have every discernible advantage, INCLUDING QB PLAY, is ludicrous.

The game still has to be played, because we know how predicting outcomes based upon paper matchups turns out.

48. If both QB’s have a good day – don’t think there is any Q Brady is better, but Manning has really improved this year, cutting down on picks.

Pats also have better receivers – if the big TE is healthy. Giants have the better overall D – no Q – and one key Q will be: Can the Pats put enough pressure on Manning to help out their suspect DB’s?

Same on the flip side: Can the Pats O line protect Brady long enough for him to work his magic?

49. Giants should also have the better ground game, but Bilicheck has two weeks to think of some way to change things up a bit.

Hopefully – it will be an exciting game well into the 4th Qtr.