Victor Cruz in Indy for the Super Bowl after missing the Combine

Victor Cruz AP

When Victor Cruz finished his college career at UMass two years ago, the NFL didn’t think he was good enough to get an invitation to Indianapolis for the Scouting Combine. That was a slight miscalculation.

Cruz may not have been good enough to do the three-cone drill at Lucas Oil Stadium, but he’ll be one of the best players on the field at Lucas Oil Stadium on Super Bowl Sunday. But Cruz, who signed with the Giants as an undrafted free agent and made the team after a strong preseason, said today that he doesn’t hold any hard feelings to the folks who didn’t think he was good enough two years ago.

“Being from a small school, I understand how that whole thing goes,” Cruz said. “I wasn’t 6-foot-5, 220 pounds or I didn’t have off-the-wall statistics, so I understood how that whole thing goes. I’d rather be here for the Super Bowl now than the Combine.”

Cruz said he never viewed the lack of an invitation to the Combine as a sign that he couldn’t make it in the NFL.

“I just knew whatever opportunities were in front of me, whether it be Pro Day, Combine, or whatever it was, I just had to make the best of it,” he said. “I just did the best I could and was fortunate enough to open up some minds.”

The Giants are fortunate that someone in their scouting department thought Cruz had enough talent to merit an offer as an undrafted free agent. And the Giants were smart to keep him after his great preseason as a rookie. Just two years after Cruz was one of the best receivers in the Colonial Athletic Association, Cruz is now one of the best receivers in the NFL.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Victor Cruz in Indy for the Super Bowl after missing the Combine”
  1. tebowspeech says: Jan 30, 2012 6:57 PM

Not a Giants fan but you can mark me down as a fan of Victor Cruz.

It’s nice to see a guy believe in himself and become one of the most exciting players in the game. He plays the game with a refreshing exuberance.

2. gjags12 says: Jan 30, 2012 7:06 PM

Cruz is a baller

3. nyyjetsknicks says: Jan 30, 2012 7:10 PM

The draft is a crap shoot. Fast food Russell goes 1st overall. Brady goes in the 6th rounds and Cruz goes undrafted.

4. kd75 says: Jan 30, 2012 7:18 PM

Giants fans are happy nobody else had the chance to see what Cruz could do.

5. donny1rodriguez says: Jan 30, 2012 7:19 PM

I see a disney movie in the making

6. sportsfuhnatic says: Jan 30, 2012 7:22 PM

Makes you wonder how many other potential stars are going unnoticed…does there need to be a better way of determining combine-worthy athletes?

GO BIG BLUE!!!

7. nesuperfan says: Jan 30, 2012 7:23 PM

I am a Pats’ fan, and I love it when some guy like this proves everyone (or most everyone) wrong.

8. leocrow says: Jan 30, 2012 7:24 PM

As a non-partial observer, Hakeem Nicks is even better. Best twosome in the NFL.

9. eliteman10 says: Jan 30, 2012 7:26 PM

Stories like his are very inspiring for those that aren’t superstars. It makes it so easy to cheer for him. Glad he’s a Giant.

10. iambadkid says: Jan 30, 2012 7:40 PM

the giants are the world chumps

11. Justin says: Jan 30, 2012 7:45 PM

I just think what if no one would have claimed him. Would he have ever gotten his chance?

Then you have to wonder if that has actually happened to someone else.

12. whittle79 says: Jan 30, 2012 8:00 PM

Way to be victor !!
    I see a movie in the making like the 1976 eagles !!

13. cruuuzcontrol says: Jan 30, 2012 8:05 PM

Nicks is more talented, but Cruz’s pedigree (or lack thereof) gets him the love. But they are both special players in this offense. And they’re so young and can be productive Giants for the next 10 years. Dangerous!

14. situsavaisprier says: Jan 30, 2012 8:11 PM

I’m glad to see Cruz doing so well for himself. He definitely came from a tough area. He didn’t give up and kept on working hard. He made plays in Training Camp of 2010 and had his breakout during the Jets game. Now he has himself a break-out year. Great job Cruz, keep it up and continue to be yourself. It’s great to see late round picks and undrafted players doing big things. Quite a few in this Super Bowl.

15. donny1rodriguez says: Jan 30, 2012 8:17 PM

—-

A crap shoot? Hardly. Russell and Brady are what you call exceptions. Those are the only examples you got.

16. all4patriots says: Jan 30, 2012 8:23 PM

Welker, Woodhead, BenJarvis Green-Ellis were all undrafted guys too and I don’t think any of them got a combine invite, unless it was BJGE.

Nice to hear abo.ut guys than can do that

17. goawayeverybody says: Jan 30, 2012 8:54 PM

Here’s hoping the Giants will CRUZ to victory!

18. kosarsmyidol says: Jan 30, 2012 8:57 PM

Cruz is a stud. The Giants have one of the best receiving corps in the league. Imagine if Hixon can stay healthy.

19. sixburghrules says: Jan 30, 2012 9:05 PM

Gotta love those kind of pick ups
    Steelers live on that

20. tombradyallday says: Jan 30, 2012 9:28 PM

just goes to show nfl scouts r wrong half the time on a player. 40 yard dash is overated. just ask antonio cromartie as he chased cruz 99 yards

21. abninf says: Jan 30, 2012 9:28 PM

Just tone down the end zone dancing a little. I see a diva in the making.

22. buzzbissinger says: Jan 30, 2012 9:43 PM

Can’t wait to see Ocho do the salsa dance after his 1st touchdown…

23. draculalambert says: Jan 30, 2012 10:06 PM

He went undrafted in my fantasy league and I should be credited by diving in head first and adding him to my roster.

I’m a beast! woot woot

24. thehouseofho says: Jan 30, 2012 10:25 PM

donny1rodriguez says:
    Jan 30, 2012 8:17 PM

—-

—–

I wouldn’t call the draft a crap shoot, but it’s definitely an inexact science. Since 2000, Charles Rogers, Troy Williamson, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Jonathan Sullivan, Pacman Jones are just a few of the highly drafted busts.

Wes Welker, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Victor Cruz, James Harrison, Antonio Gates, Arian Foster were all undrafted in the same timeframe.

25. ppc50 says: Jan 30, 2012 10:36 PM

As a Cowboy fan, I must admit, I like Cruz and his story. I remember he started showing up on the “scene” during a preseason game last year (approx 160 yds), but went on the practice squad. It’s cool he is playing in the NFL in his backyard. I hope he slows it down next year, at least twice a year.

26. zackattack006 says: Jan 30, 2012 10:51 PM

I’m rooting for Cruuuuuzzzzzz…

27. vietnambob2473 says: Jan 30, 2012 11:23 PM

makes you wonder about how many other talented guys are out there that never got a legit shot.

28. bleed4philly says: Jan 30, 2012 11:26 PM

For just once, I would love to see spike lee wear a white man’s jersey.

29. eagles512 says: Jan 30, 2012 11:42 PM

He’s become a great player but please stop the feminine dancing.

30. bigbluefan1 says: Jan 31, 2012 7:46 AM

abninf says:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:28 PM
    Just tone down the end zone dancing a little. I see a diva in the making

Not a diva in the making just one very happy young man who is living his dream.

You must not follow the team the divas play in philly and dallas

VC is just a young man who wakes up every morning and gets to play in the NFL.

And the dancing is to honor his grandmother

31. n0hopeleft says: Jan 31, 2012 8:33 AM

Let me guess this straight Pats fans.

You’re telling me Chad Johnson is going to walk into Indy, with ZERO confidence, and light the Giants up because WE ARE UNPREPARED for him?!?!

Yes, that sounds just like Tom Coughlin to not consider all of Tom and Bill’s weapons, and discredit their offense in anyway.

Are you people morons up there?!

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 31, 2012 9:03 AM

buzzbissinger says:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:43 PM
    Can’t wait to see Ocho do the salsa dance after his 1st touchdown…

———-
    The only dancing Chad Johnson will be doing is if he has Cruz in a fantasy league or something. Or picking up on Vic’s moves, because Chad won’t be catching any passes, much LESS a touchdown.

33. ttoptom says: Jan 31, 2012 10:49 AM

donny1rodriguez says:
    Jan 30, 2012 8:17 PM
    —-

All you got? Hardly. Whether the draft is a crap shoot depends on your scouting staff. Cases:
    1994: Round 1 Redskins = Heath Shuler
    Undrafted = Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia
    1995: Round 1 RBs: KiJana Carter, Tyrone Wheatley, Napolean Kaufman, James Stewart
    Undrafted = Terrell Davis
    1998: Round 1 = Ryan Leaf
    Undrafted & in THIS YEAR’s Pro Bowl: London Fletcher, David Akers, Jeff Saturday.

The examples go on forever…

34. heffery says: Jan 31, 2012 11:56 AM

Went to school with this guy at UMASS. We weren’t friends but hung with some of the same people.. A real humble guy back then.. Very happy for his success.