“Crazy Chad” is not coming back

Super Bowl Football AP

18 Patriots received a podium or an area for interviews during Tuesday’s Media Day. Chad Ochocinco, New England’s fifth receiver, was not one of them.

Ochocinco has been a Media Day regular for years. But he seemed a lot more comfortable as an “OCNN” anchor than as a New England Patriot reserve.

Ochocinco was downcast during the time we spent around him, seemingly miserable and waiting for the experience to end. He was asked if he was happy.

“You’re looking for the crazy Chad. He hasn’t been here all year,” Ochocinco said while staring down the reporter who asked the question. “Why would I be different now?”

Asked what was different about this year: “I’m wearing a jersey. That’s the only difference.”

On whether he was disappointed about his lack of production: “I don’t control that. I never have. Never been able to.”

I knew he didn’t want to answer silly questions, so I asked him about the intensity of the Super Bowl practices thus far.

“It’s been . . . practice,” Ochocinco said with a sigh after a long pause. “It’s been practice.”

Permalink 90 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
90 Responses to ““Crazy Chad” is not coming back”
  1. ingraven says: Jan 31, 2012 11:49 AM

“Productive Chad” isn’t coming back either.

2. vdaigglesfan says: Jan 31, 2012 11:50 AM

“Practice?”

AI

3. rpiotr01 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:50 AM

Poor guy. All he really wants is to be a loud, obnoxious, moderately productive fish in a small pond. Is that so much to ask?

4. FakeHustle says: Jan 31, 2012 11:51 AM

i love adblock

5. pastabelly says: Jan 31, 2012 11:52 AM

How much action he sees and how many balls thrown his way depends a lot on Gronk’s ability to play through his injury.

6. wte1 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:52 AM

With these observations I’m assuming he won’t be active for the game.

Doesn’t sound like he’s part of the Super Bowl game-plan.

7. jpb12 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:53 AM

This guy is probably not even going to dress

8. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jan 31, 2012 11:53 AM

Am I the only person that feels bad for this guy?

9. bender4700 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:54 AM

He has some issues. Time to grow up Chad.

10. ryan7977 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:54 AM

i’ll say it again….if he just had this attitude from the start he would have been a BEAST.

11. cereal blogger says: Jan 31, 2012 11:54 AM

Ocho Cinco HOF: NEVER

12. matthewcarlson1 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:54 AM

15 rec. 276 yds. 1TD – “Crazy Chad” has no right to be here and I’m glad he figured that out.

13. chiefpatriot says: Jan 31, 2012 11:55 AM

LOL! Well schooled by BB and the Patriot Way. Now, if only Chad could produce on the field…

14. quizguy66 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:55 AM

Ocho seems to be a living example of “be careful what you wish for”.

It could be that Belichick is being a genius and totally throwing folks off the scent of an Ocho-centric game-plan…yeah, probably not.

-QG

15. thatobnoxiousguy says: Jan 31, 2012 11:55 AM

Chad don’t worry. I would be sad and depressed to if I had to live amongst the most assinine “fans” in the league

16. babych99 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:56 AM

Dude sounds depressed not being the center of attention. Maybe its time to hang them up #85.

17. rc33 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:56 AM

Sounds to me like a guy that’s not gonna be dressing Sunday. Especially with the possibility of Vollmer returning.
    To his credit, he kept his mouth shut throughout this humbling season and was never, in any way, selfish or a distraction.

18. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 31, 2012 11:56 AM

Congratulations Bill, you crushed his spirit.

19. rexismybff says: Jan 31, 2012 11:56 AM

This is what Darth Bill does to wannabe Jedi’s – he sucks the force out of them, leaving them as lifeless husks.

20. apm says: Jan 31, 2012 11:57 AM

Tsk! Someone needs a refresher in personal branding!

21. trimaster1 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:57 AM

Interesting. Most players dream of getting to the Super Bowl, but he seems like he doesn’t even care.

What’s really gong on?

22. Lev says: Jan 31, 2012 11:58 AM

Randy Moss advised Chad to interview himself and only himself… :D

23. richie500 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:59 AM

That is why this guy is a loser. Biggest game of his life and he’s not the story.
    Sounds like pouting to me!

24. daknight93 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:00 PM

he’s a good guy, but production sucked..he will be looking for a new team next season: he doesn’t fit pats culture

25. mrplow3 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:00 PM

What a piece of human garbage this guy is.

All year long you people have been downvoting anyone who spoke against Ochocinco into oblivion. I have no idea why.

You people DESTROY Owens for similar bad behavior yet atleast TO has been productive on the field recently unlike this useless stiff.

Bad attitude and bad play on the field.

Stop sticking up for this walking joke and hold him accountable.

26. needle379 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:01 PM

Relevant Chad isnt coming back either

27. duanethomas says: Jan 31, 2012 12:03 PM

Chad is giving the defense a good look in practice. If he could have learned the playbook, he would be a factor. Good guy and teammate, but dumb as a box of rocks.

28. eaglesnoles05 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:03 PM

This looks like a reeeeeeeeeeal chance for breakout here. Gronk injured, but he’ll play, but still. NO ONE is gonna be worried about Ocho… Billy Beli’s time to deploy him is now, or never.

29. kelvinmchale says: Jan 31, 2012 12:06 PM

Sounds like it’s going to be Inactive Chad on Sunday.

30. 3octaveFart says: Jan 31, 2012 12:06 PM

From the headline, I assumed he was retiring.
    Rats.

31. The Prophet says: Jan 31, 2012 12:06 PM

I don’t understand why the Patriots kept Chad around. Were they just trying to make a point that they can snuff anybody or something? If he wasn’t producing on the field they should’ve cut him mid-season. It seems kind of torturous to keep him around, unless Belichek is sincere in trying to get something out of him and will give him a chance to play in the SB.

32. tatatoothy says: Jan 31, 2012 12:07 PM

What a statement it would be if Belicheck cut him this week!

33. sjhesketh says: Jan 31, 2012 12:08 PM

What’s really gong on?
    ********************************************

It’s not hard to figure: he’s had a very difficult year personally as he hasn’t produced like anyone, including himself, wanted or expected.

34. devikesfan says: Jan 31, 2012 12:08 PM

Chad had better be careful. I wouldn’t put it past Belichick to deactivate him and send him home so he isn’t being a corrosive influence the rest of the week…

35. peytonwantsaflag says: Jan 31, 2012 12:09 PM

Well there’s your answer to the question “Is Ochocinco now going to play a bigger part in the offense now that Bronkowski’s hurt?”

Chad’s not mature enough to hide his feelings.

36. Vegas Guy says: Jan 31, 2012 12:11 PM

Be flipping hilarious if Belichek has been holding him until the Superbowl and has an entire game plan surrounding him. Scores like 5 TDs and 300 yards.

He doesn’t but it’d be hilarious.

37. 2sausage11 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:14 PM

30 PATS

24 other guys because nobody remembers who lost

Ocho SB MVP

38. cheapseater says: Jan 31, 2012 12:17 PM

Chad and Rex Ryan are both reacting properly to failure. The loudmouths have been silenced.

39. carmelaanthonysoprano says: Jan 31, 2012 12:19 PM

He’s also not coming into the game.

40. akeels4 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:19 PM

Didnt Chad miss last weeks game due to the death of his FATHER? You guys dont think that would effect your demanor a week later? come on guys

41. ilovefoolsball says: Jan 31, 2012 12:21 PM

If the story isn’t about him he’s depressed and sulking.
    I actually liked him before I caught a glimpse of his reality show and saw how utterly self absorbed he is. He doesn’t really laugh at himself and he only does funny stuff to get in the lady’s pants which might be true for most guys but he takes it to another grotesque level.

42. fittytuckin says: Jan 31, 2012 12:21 PM

This guy is washed up. If you can’t beat out Deion Branch, that’s all that needs to be said.

43. bensstinkyfingers says: Jan 31, 2012 12:27 PM

Uhhm Yeah his Dad just died less than 2 weeks ago. That could have something to do with his somber mood. Cut the guy some slack. I hope he scores a TD. then retires with a ring.

44. ham1 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:27 PM

Maybe the skins will give up two first rounders for him after they sign no arm left manning.

45. sj39 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:28 PM

His and Haynesworth’s signing, bad drafting, dismantling the defense are all signs BB has lost it. Lucky to be in the SB but this little “dynasty” is over.

46. tdk24 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:29 PM

Patriot Way=removing the Human from the Being.

47. SOBEIT says: Jan 31, 2012 12:29 PM

He’s going through “crazy guy” attention withdrawal. The first leg of recovery is admitting it. He will be better soon. Just a new normal for him.

48. huskersrock1 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:29 PM

First time in his career he has a chance for a Super bowl ring. He should be excited no matter what.

49. JackLeone says: Jan 31, 2012 12:30 PM

Change your name back to Johnson so we know it’s real

50. jimyritz says: Jan 31, 2012 12:35 PM

I think he dresses….How many times has the guy ran the wrong route? Hernandez is 20 yrs old and figured it out.. It’s not as if he isn’t being paid well…Stop pouting and apply yourself..

51. pskotte says: Jan 31, 2012 12:39 PM

If BB is such a coaching genius why couldn’t he get better production from eight-five?

52. realitypolice says: Jan 31, 2012 12:39 PM

It must be jarring to have it pointed out to you so glaringly how irrelevant you’ve become.

I am sure he always thought that his first Super Bowl media day as a player would feature him on one of the big stages, not as insignificant back up wandering looking for microphones.

Not showing him any sympathy- he made his own bed- but I can understand his frustration.

53. rmm1984 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:40 PM

Remember when he wore that HOF jacket on the sidelines? Definitely the closest he’ll ever get to the real thing.

54. deconjonesbitchslap says: Jan 31, 2012 12:45 PM

hard to recover quickly after your fall back to earth from the top of the universe you thought you were on…

55. kevinb73 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:46 PM

Waaaahhh! Welcome to the real world Chad. Most people in this world aren’t the center of attention. Maybe its time to hang up the cleats and start using the position and blessings the NFL gave you that you have wasting on bringing to help someone other than yourself. Toss the “it’s not my fault my career is not going the way I want.” crap and take some ownership. Put on your big boy pants and be a man. You helped make your life what it is dude. Good luck in your post NFL career.

56. seahawksfan25 says: Jan 31, 2012 12:46 PM

Chad may leave next year, then dog the patriots and the organization. He cant now cause be still with the team. Buy u wait.

57. bospat says: Jan 31, 2012 12:47 PM

I hope he catches the winning TD..it would be fitting redemption.Man has been humbled, father died great story…

58. abengalfan says: Jan 31, 2012 12:58 PM

twitter:Chapman_Jamie says:
    Jan 31, 2012 11:53 AM
    Am I the only person that feels bad for this guy?

59. richwizl says: Jan 31, 2012 1:01 PM

The Pats play book was too tough for Chad to learn; it blew his mind. He seldom was in the place where Brady expected him to be. I have a feeling he may suit up, though and maybe make one good play. I never cared for his egotism, NE sports fans won’t tolerate that nonsense, but he has acted like a pro this year, to his credit.

60. granadafan says: Jan 31, 2012 1:07 PM

He should have stayed with the Kansas City Wizards.

61. bigperm33 says: Jan 31, 2012 1:08 PM

Chad can’t win here. If he says nothing, he is called out for being down and not excited. if he says anything with personality, he is called out for acting out, for drawing attention to himself, for not taking it seriously.

62. lutz977 says: Jan 31, 2012 1:10 PM

Belichick giddy in front of the mic, and Chad with nothing to say?? My how things have changed…

63. carlsaganist says: Jan 31, 2012 1:13 PM

Maybe Bill has something planned for OCHO.
    His twitter has not changed a bit, still says crazy stuff and has fun.

64. gmsalpha says: Jan 31, 2012 1:17 PM

For old time’s sake, I’d like to see one of his Reebok Zig or Fathead commercials played during the Super Bowl. Or a spoof.

He should be happy he’s at the Super Bowl. Not sure he’ll be IN the Super Bowl.

65. diversitydemocracy2011 says: Jan 31, 2012 1:18 PM

Anyone willing to share a group hug with the media gets my vote.

(starts at 2:20)

I hope he plays and wins on Sunday.

66. 6ball says: Jan 31, 2012 1:19 PM

Early in the season he dropped a possible game winning bomb versus Buffalo. Brady never seemed to regain his confidence in him.

67. citizenstrange says: Jan 31, 2012 1:25 PM

The worthless little clown with the funny name is sad.

68. brownsclown says: Jan 31, 2012 1:26 PM

Why are you wasting time with this guy?
    He is so far down on the depth chart that Gronkowski would have to be in a wheelchair for him to be on the field. If he is really, really, lucky he may be on the active roster for the big game; but I doubt it.

This is a classical case of an average receiver, but an excellent showman, being moved to a good team, with a great coach and quarterback. And the result is his skills, commitment to practice and film study add up to him being fifth string.
    And that is exactly where Oucho Stinko belongs on this team!

69. 4evrnyt says: Jan 31, 2012 1:28 PM

To be fair, the guy’s dad did just die.

70. CKL says: Jan 31, 2012 1:37 PM

Love all the ignorant comments here. Keep ‘em coming. I’m sure if I respond in kind, I know what will happen.

I do feel for Chad. DO I want him to get “sympathy passes” in the SB because of it? No, but I appreciate that he’s been from all accounts a great teammate and tried to do all the coaches ask of him. Bet you there would have been long odds on that happening if there was a Vegas line on it before the season started.

71. citizenstrange says: Jan 31, 2012 1:40 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I would beg to differ. Learn the playbook, get open, don’t drop passes.

I could use Ochocinco’s exact same excuse for not producing.

I could be the star of this Super Bowl and catch 10 touchdowns but I don’t control that. I never have. Never been able too.

Everybody’s against me.

72. thatstinks says: Jan 31, 2012 1:43 PM

Surprised they can’t find room for Chad in that porous secondary along with Julian Edelman .

73. rtk23 says: Jan 31, 2012 1:44 PM

The reports That chad can’t learn the play book is ridiculous. If randy moss could learn it, I’m sure chad could. There is a bigger plan in place. If BB can pull this off with intenionally having chad not “contribute” during the season and saving him for the Bowl, that would be brilliant.

74. iknowurider72 says: Jan 31, 2012 1:44 PM

Its a shame you didn’t behave like this in Cincinnati. The Bengals might have won some more games. Interesting how you don’t get playing time if you don’t run your routes correct. Only reason you’re still on the team is because Bill has a place in his heart for you.

75. ahs2 says: Jan 31, 2012 1:45 PM

Chad needs to go back to court and change his name back; the ride is officially over!

76. themackstrong says: Jan 31, 2012 1:45 PM

Some of you guys are complete morons. Does it make you feel better to take shots a professional athlete on some comment blog. Chad Ochocinco’s father just passed, he was at his funeral. Anyone understand that could part of the reason he may be in a somber mood? In Cincinnati, Chad was probably one of the most charitable players ever to play there and from what I heard completely approachable to any fan.

77. jagsfan1 says: Jan 31, 2012 1:52 PM

His previous salary levels and contracts are not coming back either.

78. descendency says: Jan 31, 2012 1:56 PM

Chad Ochocinco’s dream as a young WR was to be single covered in the Super Bowl.

That dream will finally come true. I wonder what he’ll make of it.

79. skipbayless says: Jan 31, 2012 2:10 PM

From the looks of the “NEW” Chad , I think he’d be better off being the “OLD” Chad.

At least you would have a reason to be on the field even if you were insanely conceeded and overwhelming with your mouth sometimes.

80. muskyhunter2542 says: Jan 31, 2012 2:11 PM

He is going to have 7 rec for 115 and 1 in the biggest game of his life…. Oh I forgot, he most likly wont even get a chance to catch 1 ball.

81. jolink653 says: Jan 31, 2012 2:16 PM

he never had a full offseason to work with brady like every other receiver has had so to be fair we need to give him that…we all know bill doesn’t tolerate loafing or bad attitudes and if chad was guilty of either one he’d be in the unemployment line by now…i’m convinced that if the patriots don’t cut him and allow him time to bond with brady during minicamp OTAs and training camp next season he’ll be back to the old chad production-wise and maybe even give them the downfield threat they’ve been looking for…and who knows maybe he does play in the super bowl and come up with a big catch…it would be great to see

82. whatnojets says: Jan 31, 2012 2:19 PM

oh my……..The Jets are interested in Chad! No, not as a receiver but as a personal insulter to Holmes!

83. andyreidisfat says: Jan 31, 2012 2:28 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this has been another log term plot by bb and now they will surprise the giants with ocho having a big game?

I remember in 2004 all the talk was how the eagles were going to handle the 3-4 pats d. The whole media week was about that, then in the game the pAts played a 4-3 almost exclusively.

Don’t be shocked if chad is MVP of this game or atleast has his best game of the year, especially considering the injury to the best te in the game

84. gisellichek says: Jan 31, 2012 2:47 PM

I remember how hopeful i was when they got him… thought he would be a real threat… what a disapoointment… I hope they cut him and get a real stud WR…

85. pooflingingmonkey says: Jan 31, 2012 3:41 PM

Um Gregg… his Father just died. That might be a reason for his mood. An actual journalist might have remembered this and/or included it in the”article”.

How jolly would you be in that circumstance?

86. rcali says: Jan 31, 2012 3:58 PM

Probably his last chance to win the Super Bowl and not is he only not going to play but he is going to be on the losing side.q

87. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jan 31, 2012 7:07 PM

Judging by comments on here, you wouldn’t guess that Chad Johnson was:

26th all-time in receptions and yards

20th all time in receiving yards per game

People talk like he was a bum. This bum led the AFC in receiving 4 years in a row (04-07).

That’s a record folks. Chad is the only one that’s ever done that, and he did it competing with Marvin Harrison. Chad Johnson was a special player. Y’all should have watched more Bengals games and maybe I wouldn’t have to tell you. He’s old now.

88. dobberdubinsky says: Feb 1, 2012 1:48 AM

I like Chad but,”I don’tcontrol my production”, is a really, really stupid statement. Must be talking with TO and Moss a little bit too much.

89. gcounterman says: Feb 1, 2012 3:20 PM

It would be quite fitting for Chad to have the Tyree moment. I do feel for the guy, he did lose a parent.

Moss didn’t need to learn a playbook. He runs three routes that matter: streak, slant and fade. I bet if he laced up and ran 40 against everyone in the NFL, he’s still top 5 type speed.

Continue to make fun of TO all the time though. “How am I supposed to feed my family off $7 million”, was it for me.

90. richwizl says: Feb 4, 2012 9:46 AM

This guy is finally getting a lesson in humility, just like Neon Deon did. He is maturing and becoming more like able, unlike that piece of garbage, Lawrence Taylor, who cheated the whole time he played and keeps getting arrested now.