Tom Coughlin’s son-in-law says he’s lightened up

Chris Snee AP

If Tom Coughlin strikes you as the kind of taskmaster you wouldn’t want to work for, think about how Giants guard Chris Snee must feel: Snee is Coughlin’s son-in-law, which means that not only does he have to perform to Coughlin’s exacting standards during the work week, but he also doesn’t get any presents if he isn’t at least five minutes early to Christmas dinner.

Fortunately, Snee says Coughlin has started to mellow — not that the grandfather of Snee’s children is always grandfatherly, but that he’s at least a little friendlier than he was earlier in his coaching career. Snee was asked today if Coughlin is warmer and fuzzier, and while he wasn’t prepared to go that far, he did say he has seen changes in his coach and father-in-law.

“Warmer? Fuzzier? I don’t know if I’d use those adjectives, but he’s lightened up a lot and we made reference to that four years ago when we were here,” Snee said. “How he kind of changed in that regard, getting to know players more, getting players to know the softer side of him, the side that family members see. He shows that but then again he still has his beliefs that he sticks to. That’s what makes him more successful.”

Snee said he and Coughlin have developed a close relationship, but there’s one thing Snee would like to do with his father-in-law that he didn’t do four years ago: Carry Coughlin on his shoulders after winning the Super Bowl.

“It’s eight years of having this relationship,” Snee said. “So we got it ironed out pretty good.”

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Tom Coughlin’s son-in-law says he’s lightened up”
  1. soapopera4men says: Jan 31, 2012 7:37 PM

Seems like everyone is lightening up for this Super Bowl. Except Wilfork of course.

2. tinopuno says: Jan 31, 2012 7:59 PM

This is great stuff! I’ve always wanted to know EVERYTHING about Tom Coughlin!

3. kevpft says: Jan 31, 2012 8:07 PM

I may be in the minority, but I like both teams. I like both QBs, I like both coaches. They have character and personality, and are interesting. They’re both great teams, they’ve both done well and gotten lucky to get here, and I am wishing them both well. Going to be a little disappointed that either has to lose, honestly.

4. ErikW65 says: Jan 31, 2012 8:14 PM

Fining players for not being early enough to meetings (despite being actually on time, or even 2 minutes early) will go down in history as a trademark of Coach Coughlin.

5. jasku880 says: Jan 31, 2012 8:38 PM

Take note Rex

6. fballguy says: Jan 31, 2012 9:08 PM

Lightened up sure…but is it boxers or briefs?!?!

7. cuda1234 says: Jan 31, 2012 9:25 PM

I know the media hates Coughiln but don’t the numbers say he’s been more successful, both with the Giants and overall, then media darling Bill Parcells?

8. nyfan63 says: Jan 31, 2012 9:40 PM

ErikW65 says:Jan 31, 2012 8:14 PM

———————————————————- You know, this story has had a lot of traction, it seems to be the go-to story to show that Coach Coughlin is to stern of a task master to cut it in todays NFL. The truth is (of course) a little different from the story commonly told and even Coughlins players have long ago learned to deal with this one and no longer see it as a problem. Coughlin has NEVER told his players to be somewhere at a specific time and then fined them for not being early. What he DOES say is that if a meeting STARTS at 9:30, then it STARTS at 9:30. That means that at 9:30 you are not walking in the door, or taking your seat, but you are IN your seat -Playbook open ready to go. So arriving at 9:25 puts you in that seat on time arriving at 9:30 makes you late to that seat. Quite frankly, the same thing goes in my office, and probably yours too. This really has always been an over-blown story.

9. ravenator says: Jan 31, 2012 9:52 PM

Let me know when Coughlin joins Facebook or twitter.

10. devikesfan says: Jan 31, 2012 10:35 PM

Forget the game…the REAL story is about which coach has lightened up the most!

11. eaglesnoles05 says: Jan 31, 2012 10:42 PM

Why shouldn’t he lighten up? In the years where he’s gone 9-7 , or had his qb throw 20 ints, he’s made the superbowl. What’s to be crabbypuss about?

12. descendency says: Jan 31, 2012 10:43 PM

When I saw the story, I was thinking “why is Coughlin’s son-in-law being quoted?” and then realized it’s Chris Snee.

13. Herb says: Jan 31, 2012 10:49 PM

@kevpft: you definitely are in the minority

14. lennydpocketqb says: Jan 31, 2012 11:02 PM

I must be the only Giants fan on the planet who is absolutely sick that they have to play the Patriots? They are a fantastic team. Sometimes, I hate my people. Go Giants. please…

15. mychode says: Jan 31, 2012 11:21 PM

Just imagine what would happen if Snee was unfaithful to his wife.

16. ErikW65 says: Jan 31, 2012 11:44 PM

nyfan63 says:
    Jan 31, 2012 9:40 PM

—————————————–

All I said was that’s his history. Name me another Head Coach that had a labor grievance filed against him for fining players for not arriving before the scheduled time.

17. bbgraf08 says: Feb 1, 2012 1:13 AM

ErikW65 says:
    Jan 31, 2012 11:44 PM

————–

Why point it out then? I respect Coughlin for that. Show up on time, it’s not that hard.

18. cbusbrownie says: Feb 1, 2012 10:01 AM

Both teams are likable and both have won this, both have played each other…….BORING!!!!!
    Would someone please get in trouble already? Would someone flash some bravado and say something interesting????