Adrian Peterson wanted to change his number but didn’t want to pay

Minnesota Vikings v Washington Redskins Getty Images

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has talked about changing jersey numbers, but he revealed today that he decided not to when he found out how much that would cost him.

Peterson said he wanted to switch from wearing 28 to 23, which he thought he could do at the time that Nike takes over the NFL’s jersey license from Reebok. But Peterson has been informed that he’d have to buy back any unsold 28 jerseys that have already been printed, and that could cost $1 million.

“So here is the deal with the number change!” Peterson wrote on Twitter. “So I received a call and I was informed that I would’ve to buy all jerseys that’s been produced Thus far! N the total amount that I would have to pay blew my mind!!!!! Why? Ok so I see maybe ten thousand dollars of my total jersey sales! That’s it!!! In I know I’ve mostly likely been in the top ten When it comes to top sales ! Why in the hell do I have to pay a Million dollars to change my number! I don’t even get paid a million Dollars by my sponsors a year! Wow!!!”

Peterson, who last year compared playing in the NFL to “modern-day slavery,” said he thinks players are getting a raw deal on jersey sales.

“So people may not understand some of the things I say from MY POINT OF VEIW!” Peterson wrote. “But this situation says a lot! #1 I’m in the top jersey sales! # 2 I see maybe 10,000 from those sales #3 I get paid under 1million a year #4 but I oder to change MY numberI have to pay a Million Bucks! Somebody’s winning in that situation & ITs not me! So clearly with that said I won’t be changing my number This years! Pay a mill to change number or keep the mill n continue to wear 28?! That’s a easy one… Hell 28 it is!!! Lol Someone just hit me saying stop crying! Lol I’m sharing my thoughts! I thought that’s what twitter was all about. Anyway I won’t be changing My number for the reason you have in front of you! So someone said! You got it just pay it! You must be smoking something to thing I’ll Waste that type of money just to change a number on my work uniform!”

And so the fans who have bought Peterson No. 28 jerseys can breathe a sigh of relief: Those jerseys won’t become obsolete.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Adrian Peterson wanted to change his number but didn’t want to pay”
  1. swive says: Feb 1, 2012 5:19 PM

Dang, I was hoping my AP 28 jersey would be a rare collector’s item. No such luck…

2. baous says: Feb 1, 2012 5:21 PM

This is why Peterson’s smart. Most athletes would be like “its just a million, whatever”. But Peterson’s thinking “That million will pay for my daughter’s college education”. I love this guy so much. Skol Vikings baby.

3. jdandcoke says: Feb 1, 2012 5:22 PM

im assuming he wasnt an english major at oklahoma?

4. rtookey says: Feb 1, 2012 5:23 PM

Well, he’s gotta be stoked that his twitter doesnt have a 140 Letter limit…

5. glac1 says: Feb 1, 2012 5:24 PM

spoiled brat and still hasn’t grown up. I wish he’d say that to the 16% of Americans looking for a job.

6. duluthvikesfan says: Feb 1, 2012 5:25 PM

At least he’s thinking smart when it comes to how he spends his money. There are probably a ton of athletes who wouldn’t have thought twice about paying a million to change numbers only to end up broke when their playing days are over. Smart man, AP!

7. krose91 says: Feb 1, 2012 5:26 PM

he could buy all the jerseys, sign them and earn 2mio dollars

8. raidmagic says: Feb 1, 2012 5:28 PM

Why should he have to pay. Think of all the new jerseys they will sell with his new number on them. What a bunch of crap

9. breastsmoosh says: Feb 1, 2012 5:29 PM

i wonder what cedric griffin would have to say about this, he wears number 23 for the vikings

10. fansinceshea says: Feb 1, 2012 5:32 PM

What will the jerseys be worth when the Vikes move to L.A.???

11. weepingjebus says: Feb 1, 2012 5:33 PM

Just change your legal last name to “Peterson 23″ and see what they do.

12. profootballwalk says: Feb 1, 2012 5:33 PM

Did he put up his own money to manufacture the jerseys? Does he pay the salaries of the people who work at the stores, or the leases or the utilities? Did he set up the automated ordering systems on web sites?

The moron is like the guy who puts the windshield wipers on a $30,000 car at the factory, and thinks he should get $20,o00 per car for his labor. He’s to mentally deficient to understand what it takes to run a business, make a payroll, pay taxes, etc.

13. holmania85 says: Feb 1, 2012 5:37 PM

I only make a million dollars…….. Bull#hit….
    9/10/2011: Signed a seven-year, $96 million contract. The deal contains $36 million guaranteed, $32 million of which is guaranteed for skill and the other $4 million for injury. Another $4 million is available through escalators. 2011: $8.25 million, 2012: $8 million, 2013: $11.25 million, 2014: $11.75 million, 2015-2017: Under Contract, 2018: Free Agent

14. hannahsdaddy says: Feb 1, 2012 5:39 PM

I’ve got an idea. Buy the jerseys and slowly release them, signed, on eBay. Sure to make over a million, right?

15. reason35 says: Feb 1, 2012 5:40 PM

The guy never met an exclamation point he didn’t like. That is some seriously awful reading trying to decipher what he’s saying.

On the other hand, its hard not to agree with him if what he says is true. Frankly, I tend to believe it. The NFL continues to churn out cash but they aren’t concerned about who they step on to get it. My Sunday Ticket went up to $335 this year! (and yes, I paid it because its not like I can go somewhere else to get it…sounds suspiciously like the opposite of a free market) If he really sees so little of the money from jersey sales that is a JOKE. I’m happy he’s actually using his brain to save his money and not worry about his number.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (Those exclamation points were sponsored by Adrian Peterson and the Campaign for #23)

16. marcinhouston says: Feb 1, 2012 5:40 PM

They can’t pay players a big cut of jersey sales because a given player will tend to sell more jerseys in a bigger market or on a team that is already successful, so it would effectively give bigger market and more established teams a higher salary cap of income to offer players. This is already the case with potential sponsorship income and endorsements but it would be worse if stars got a big cut of jersey sales. It may not seem like a good argument in the NFL because a lot of elite offensive players happen to be on smaller market teams, the New York teams mostly have an ensemble cast, and LA has no teams, but think of the NBA where most of the sales are to big market players.

17. fittytuckin says: Feb 1, 2012 5:44 PM

I’ll never forget the post game interview with him and wordsmith Emmit Smith. Pure unintentional comedy.

18. bluepike says: Feb 1, 2012 5:44 PM

The life of this poor “slave” just never gets any easier. Well Adrian – cheer up – the first 100 years are the hardest – after that, it’s all down hill.

19. ndallasruss says: Feb 1, 2012 5:45 PM

holmania85 – it’s all about the reading comprehension, my man:

“I don’t even get paid a million Dollars by my sponsors a year!”

He’s not saying that his salary is under a million. Rather, he’s saying that the money that he sees from other stuff is under a million.

20. fadein2bolivian says: Feb 1, 2012 5:48 PM

@profootballwalk

“He’s tomentally deficient to understand what it takes to run a business, make a payroll, pay taxes, etc.”

Glass houses and such.

@holmania

I think it’s reasonable to assume he’s talking about proceeds from jersey sales.

21. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Feb 1, 2012 5:55 PM

If that Twitter crap was written in plain English, he would sound like a genius. He isn’t wasting his money to change his number and he doesn’t get enough for his jersey sales. If he’s really only seen $10,000 for all his jerseys that have been sold (ranging from about $60 to $225 each), he’s getting ripped off. You sell 45 authentic AD jerseys and you have $10,000.

22. irishnativeson says: Feb 1, 2012 5:56 PM

jdandcoke says: Feb 1, 2012 5:22 PM

im assuming he wasnt an english major at oklahoma?

Not to nitpick but you missed three capitalization’s and two apostrophe’s.

23. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Feb 1, 2012 5:57 PM

Imagine if he had to buy the unsold inventory of Brett Favre and Donovan McNabb jerseys.

24. antalicus says: Feb 1, 2012 5:58 PM

Ya i don’t really understand that. So when someone changes their numbers and pays for the jerseys do they get all the jerseys or does Reebok keep selling them at a new discount price?

25. mightyleemoon says: Feb 1, 2012 6:00 PM

How much does he owe them if he changed teams?

26. mnsadsportsfan says: Feb 1, 2012 6:01 PM

he can proudly wear his jersey on top of his street clothes… blown out knee – he is done and he knows it. sure wish he woud

27. zeedoubleyou says: Feb 1, 2012 6:02 PM

To everyone saying he should buy the jerseys, then sign and sell them:

How hot of an item is a signed #28 AP jersey going to be when he’s wearing #23?

28. paul621 says: Feb 1, 2012 6:02 PM

Irishnativeson: Not to nitpick, but apostrophes don’t make plurals.

29. irishnativeson says: Feb 1, 2012 6:03 PM

holmania85, if you’re trying to imply it’s ok to charge AP a million dollars because he’s a millionaire, shoot I’m all in, because he can afford it right. Jackwagon!

30. chas88 says: Feb 1, 2012 6:03 PM

Man, that’s a lot of exclamation points.

31. mute617 says: Feb 1, 2012 6:04 PM

Leave MN & you can change numbers :)

32. deconjonesbitchslap says: Feb 1, 2012 6:08 PM

Insomnia cured!

33. cliverush says: Feb 1, 2012 6:09 PM

It’s still better than having to pay for your uniforms. Just ask any cop, fireman, flight attendant or an officer in the military. Some guys think it’s all about them. Your shirt with any number on it will sell because the NFL allows you to reap the benefits of your team mates work.

34. njpurplehaze says: Feb 1, 2012 6:10 PM

to be fair…..I absolutely love this kid, hard worker and brings it EVERY PLAY! But my god, learn to speak English!

35. ubummer says: Feb 1, 2012 6:30 PM

Some faceless pencil necked bureaucrat in Reebok, who only ever got to step on a football field to pick up the litter, makes a decision on how many of Peterson’s jersey’s Reebok is going to produce, and Peterson is the one who has to pay because they overproduced his jersey?

If Peterson had a say in how many of his jerseys were produced, then I’d be fine with it, but since he didn’t have any say in it, then it’s just Reebok’s cost of doing business to take that risk as far as I’m concerned.

36. contra74 says: Feb 1, 2012 6:32 PM

jdandcoke says:
    Feb 1, 2012 5:22 PM
    im assuming he wasnt an english major at oklahoma?
    —————-
    Given the proofreading done by this sites writers I wouldnt be surprised if those errors weren’t his to begin with.

37. drexelvol says: Feb 1, 2012 6:44 PM

He writes like he didn’t get past the 3rd grade.

38. gojags says: Feb 1, 2012 6:47 PM

fixed the bold stuff appearing.

He can change his name to Adrian Veintitres like Chad Johnson, that way he can still keep the number he wants without paying 1M.

39. demo1984 says: Feb 1, 2012 7:03 PM

profootballwalk you are correct AD does not write a check for the people who work in the factories or pay utility bills or any other overhead at rebok. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you were not such a hater you would realize that the sales of his #28 does pay those items you mentioned. If Rebok sold 50,000 #28 at $50 a pop thats 2.5 million in reboks pocket and they pay AD $10,000 where do you think the other 2.4 million goes. Probobly to to overhead .

Holmania that is what Peterson was getting at with his I dont make a million a year comment, from REBOK!!! and they want him to pay a million dollars. Even though the man cannot spell to save his life I am sure he knows he makes a million dollar a year.

40. backindasaddle says: Feb 1, 2012 8:22 PM

Adrian is a beast of a RB.
    Adrian is a whisker above being illiterate.
    Adrian seems to think the concept of capitalism should only apply to him.

41. touchdownsyndrome says: Feb 1, 2012 8:44 PM

demo1984 says:

———————————————————————————-
    Come on man, if you’re going to call AD out for spelling you should probobly learn how to spell ProbAbly.

Also, $10,000 dollars subtracted from $2.5 million is not $2.4 million. You’re off by 90k.

42. nomoreseasontix says: Feb 1, 2012 9:19 PM

Semi-literate people should not make fun of semi-literate athletes in this forum.
    Even if it IS amusing…

43. reggiebush25 says: Feb 1, 2012 9:25 PM

I used to wear number 25, but now wear number 22…..just sayin….

44. rams2012 says: Feb 1, 2012 9:30 PM

And this is important because??

45. jfrogwi says: Feb 1, 2012 9:32 PM

It’s practically modern day slavery.

46. dlmcc1010 says: Feb 1, 2012 9:35 PM

I agree with some of the intelligent posters above.

He can buy them all up, sign them, and sell them on Ebay. He would come out ahead. Im sure he could work something out with Reebok on getting the whole lot of them for less than face value. Hes sitting home resting to recover from serious surgery. Any one of us would gladly be signing them to sell all day if we were him

47. monkeyhouse77 says: Feb 1, 2012 9:39 PM

This is why I really hate things like twitter. Having the ability to put your thoughts out there instantly never seems to work out for anyone. I think that AP is 100% correct about not wanting to pay that ridiculous amount of money just to “change the number on his work uniform”. The backlash he seems to be receiving for thinking smart with his money is unfortunate.

There used to be a time when journalists and reporters would take the things athletes say and they would print them in well typed, well thought out articles…and even they had to go through editors before it would be in the reader’s hands.

EDITORS! That’s what the twitter is missing. People could twit one another all day with no fear of looking silly.

I’ve never met a person in my life that could type a message into their phone and not consistently send messages with typos, misspellings, bad grammar, and text abbreviations. It’s unfortunate that those kinds of mistakes tend to make someone look dumb when millions of people read them. It’s obvious that AP isn’t dumb; I think it’s very thoughtful of him not throw all of that money away at a new jersey number.

People love and want free speech so much, but only as long as it fits within their stupid limited parameters. Let’s all try and get beyond the fact that AP is human and types his phone messages like everyone else: poorly. And let’s try not to fault him for wanting to be smart with his money either. I sure as hell don’t have a lot of money, but if I did; I could see how showing that kind of foresight and restraint would be very difficult.

48. hnrqoliv says: Feb 1, 2012 9:39 PM

Just get the vikings to cut him and resign him and get a new jersey number, then he won’t have to pay.

49. imsoinsane71111 says: Feb 1, 2012 9:39 PM

Are you freaking kidding me AP? Im in the military and put my life on the line for selfish pricks like who, whose biggest decision is what number you will wear next season. You want to make real life decisions, trade anyone in this room for their paycheck for a month…try to juggle a house & car payment, children, food, etc… and let me know then how freaking trivial your jersey number is. You signed a 7 year contract worh $100 million….thats more than the average American will make in a life time. Lets do this, ive been in the military for almost 12 years…ive only made around 500,000. For you to play one season right now at the league minimum, you would still make more in that one season than i have made in a career. And ill bet my job includes a lot more “hazards” and “injury risks” than yours ever will. So i hope you make the right decision on your jersey number…would hate for that to impact your life very much…….

50. teamnorsecore says: Feb 1, 2012 11:05 PM

imsoinsane71111 says:
    Feb 1, 2012 9:39 PM
    ……
    First off, thank you for yor service, I appreciate what you do to keep me free. My question to you is…..if you have such a deep distain for multi-million dollar athletes and what they say, why are you reading a blog that talks about nothing but multi-million dollar athletes? Peterson is a blessed athlete and gest paid handsomely for it…..he is not the first and won’t be the last. He was given an athletic gift and was able to translate his gift into becoming a millionare. I am going to assume you are not in the NFL because you didn’t have said “athletic gifts?” Why hate on the man for being successful with the gifts God gave him? Who cares if he wants to change his jersey number……does it really upset you that much that he talks about what it would cost him? Peterson is incredibly generous with his earnings around the Twin City area and back in Texas where he is from. I say if you hate the fact that Peterson complained about a million dollars to change his jersey number that bad, you must be jealous.

51. cshearing says: Feb 2, 2012 8:48 AM

@fadein2bolivian :

You did not close your Bold tag and screwed the thread up. Let’s see if my fix works…

52. vikefan says: Feb 2, 2012 9:13 AM

how can NFL force him to do anything if Reebok no longer has the legal contract with NFL? what will reebok do with any other players jersey once the Nike contract and jerseys kick in? Reeboks will be worthless anyway, right? sounds like blackmail on part of NFL front office. If reebok’s contract is done and void, no one can be forced to do anything with left over jerseys, unless somehow legally the Nike/Reebok contracts overlap on the calendar so everything is forced to stay as is with exception of design & tag.

53. truthserum4u says: Feb 3, 2012 2:17 AM

@ imsoinsane71111

So you’re upset someone else is complaining about something that is less than absolutely dire? Then let me introduce you to the human race.

You’re indignant about Peterson’s ability to make more money than you? Yet you are protecting a country who has as one of it’s core values capitalism.

Since there isn’t a draft, you chose a career in the military where your pay isn’t going to make you rich and you must deal with “hazards” & “injury risks”. Peterson has a skill that people are willing to pay him handsomely for; so he chose that path. Just because someone makes a lot of money doesn’t mean they automatically give up the right to complain if they feel they are getting the raw end of a financial deal.

54. cswenson218 says: Feb 4, 2012 1:45 PM

AP sounds like a whiny bitch. I’d rather have Robert Smith back.

55. gdeli says: Feb 6, 2012 9:23 AM

He needs to spell check. He said modern day slavery for some reason. SI should have run a whole acticle on that. He should receive more $ from those jerseys, the NFL makes a truck load. The vikes will suck again this year unless a miracle happens with AP and harvin’s talents being wasted which is just plain sad seeing this crap year after year. Time to run the packers flag up the flagpole and tick off the vikings diehard at the end of the street. ha