Antrel Rolle says he’s come around on Tom Coughlin

Super Bowl XLVI - Media Day Getty Images

A year ago Giants safety Antrel Rolle said that it was time for coach Tom Coughlin to realize it’s 2011 and update his coaching methods. But in 2012, Rolle says he has come around to see the wisdom in the way Coughlin does things.

“My first season I questioned a lot of things that coach Coughlin was doing,” Rolle said today. “After taking a step back and reflecting on all of it, I understand exactly why he is the way he is. I used to always wonder, I felt like he was always trying to turn us into men. Does he not know that we are men before we ever step on the football field here as a Giant? I used to ask myself questions like that. Once I matured enough and I took a step back, he is not trying to turn us into men, he is trying to help us become better men. That is something that I realize and that is something that I have taken on my shoulders and I am man enough to admit.”

Rolle now credits Coughlin’s structured approach to running the team for the way the Giants have been able to deal with the distractions of the Super Bowl.

“I understand everything behind his discipline and his structure, it comes with a reason,” Rolle said. “Things are tough in New York and he has to be that way. He has prepared us for a bigger and brighter stage, which is the stage we are on right now. For us to come here and be able to handle all the press, all the media, all the festivities and things around us and our team has done an exceptional job doing that. I see it, I see it in our eyes that our focus is the game and the game only. I think that this is what he has been trying to prepare us for all year I long. He has just going about it in different ways.”

It’s easy to see why players would find it frustrating that Coughlin has exacting standards about minor details like how they wear their socks, but Rolle said he now sees some benefits to Coughlin holding the players to a high standard. It’s hard to argue with the success Coughlin has had as a head coach.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Antrel Rolle says he’s come around on Tom Coughlin”
  1. ampats says: Feb 1, 2012 1:54 PM

Funny that the weak link on the Giants d backfield has so much to say. Earlier today Zo was saying on 98.5 that whenever Brady sees Rolle one on one against a receiver that is where Brady is going with the ball.

2. eastsideballa says: Feb 1, 2012 1:56 PM

If the NCAA ran the NFL the Patriots would have been stripped of all the titles they won under Belichick…Im just saying…food for thought…*cough cheaters!

3. mightymightylafootball says: Feb 1, 2012 1:59 PM

Well, that sure is nice of Antrel…

*eye roll*

4. infectorman says: Feb 1, 2012 2:00 PM

I see the light!

5. gmen4life1979 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:01 PM

Going to be hard to see Coughlin go when he does…Hopefully we get an old school coach to replace him !!

6. infectorman says: Feb 1, 2012 2:02 PM

_____________________________________

Jealousy gets you nowhere…wasted energy

7. cactitle says: Feb 1, 2012 2:02 PM

Tiki is Flabbergasted!

8. mobdc202 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:05 PM

This dude is an idiot. He can’t keep his mouth closed.

9. bearsrulepackdrool says: Feb 1, 2012 2:06 PM

Let’s see what he says when they lose and he’s on the chopping block in the offseason.

10. bearsstillsuck says: Feb 1, 2012 2:08 PM

It’s amazing how attitudes change when your winning.

11. skinsdag says: Feb 1, 2012 2:11 PM

Hey Rolle,

How about you st&fu and instead of dragging your team down worry about staying on the team next year.

Signed,

a skins fan who remember your 99% confidence against my Redskins.

12. georgebrett says: Feb 1, 2012 2:11 PM

mobdc202,

what are you doing? Not keeping your mouth shut that’s for sure.

13. jakek2 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:13 PM

ampats says:
    Feb 1, 2012 1:54 PM
    —————–
    Brady will be on his back long before any one of those receivers reaches Rolle in the secondary.

14. damnsureis says: Feb 1, 2012 2:15 PM

eastsideballa says: Feb 1, 2012 1:56 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    For what? They got caught violating a policy that was sent out after the 2006 season. Their championships were before that.

15. ingraven says: Feb 1, 2012 2:17 PM

That picture up top shows why Antrel Rolle needs to KEEP his helmet ON!!!

16. jerseyshoregiant says: Feb 1, 2012 2:19 PM

It’s funny, so many people were all over Coughling for his “if you are not 5 minutes early you are late policy” but truth be told most corporations treat things the same way. If you are supposed to start work at 8am, companies do not want you walking in in at 7:59 to turn on your computer, get your coffee, etc. By the time you do all that its 8:15 and you haven’t even started working yet. Companies want you to be ready to actually work by 8am.

17. sj39 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:21 PM

Jealousy gets you nowhere…wasted energy

infectorman, do you really, in your own mind believe the Pats did not cheat all those years prior to getting caught even though BB admitted to it? Do you really think cheating is something to be jealous of? Have you ever heard of good sportsmanship? Just curious.

18. cliffordc05 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:22 PM

Rolle really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and just play football.

Teams should be allowed to label certain players as too stupid to speak in public and the media should then be barred from asking them any questions or taking unsolicited comments.

19. skinsrock says: Feb 1, 2012 2:23 PM

Tom Coughlin = Marty Schottenheimer… with the ring (“s” ?) … Everyone doesn’t want them to be their coach, but they are highly motivated disciplinarians that know how to win.

It’s annoying to always hear about these guys are on the hot seat & a guy like Norv is still a head coach… *scratches head*

20. chadmurdigan says: Feb 1, 2012 2:29 PM

If Coughlin were truly tough, he wouldn’t let this guy wear a cap slanted like that.

21. xxsweepthelegxx says: Feb 1, 2012 2:32 PM

eastsideballa says:
    Feb 1, 2012 1:56 PM

———————-
    Bobby Bowden and FSU disagree with you

22. olskool711 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:34 PM

Structure, organization, and discipline is something that many people in our society are starving for.

Change isn’t easy and Coughlin’s ways of doing things are in direct contrast with the direction most of the culture is heading.

Its good to see Rolle admit that he’s come around on Coughlin and instilling these values. What Coughlin is doing isn’t easy. It is often a constant struggle.

Maybe, if Rolle keeps at it he will eventually fulfill some of the potential he had coming out of the U.

23. patsfiend says: Feb 1, 2012 2:36 PM

eastsideballa says:
    Feb 1, 2012 1:56 PM
    ————-
    Thank god they don’t, moron, since we probably wouldn’t have a playoffs at all, and there would be no consistency whatsoever to fines and sanctions. If The Pats were Ohio State it would be a slap on the wrist. If they were USC, they’d get torpedoed. Keep making excuses, though… whatever works for you.

As for this article… what rookie anywhere has any right whatsoever to question a super bowl winning coach like Coughlin. I hope they made this loudmouth do a lot of wind sprints.

24. mychode says: Feb 1, 2012 2:38 PM

Funny, Tom coughlin has yet to come around on antrel rolle.

25. tcostant says: Feb 1, 2012 2:42 PM

I read Rolle’s take and I’m fired up. Can wait for the game!

26. blaz0037 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:42 PM

and still the NYC fair-weather fans will be calling for him to be fired if they start 1-2 next year.

Most pathetic fanbase in the history of sport.

I’m cheering for the Giants cause I’m an “Eli guy” but it won’t bother me at all if they don’t pull it off.

27. youdownwithjpp says: Feb 1, 2012 2:43 PM

mobdc202 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:05 PM

This dude is an idiot. He can’t keep his mouth closed.
    ——————————————

Yeah, being man enough to admit he was wrong makes him an idiot. Really?

The practices of self examination and taking responsibility are two characteristics that turn mice into men.

Mr. Rolle an idiot? I think respectful disagree. Most idiots don’t ever consider changing their paradigm to benefit success. It seems Rolle is making an active effort towards success.

28. youdownwithjpp says: Feb 1, 2012 2:47 PM

I respectfully disagree**

29. blaz0037 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:52 PM

case and point?

Eli and the Giants were booed by their HOME FANS on national television (MNF) after 1….I repeat ONE three-and-out.

Fair-weather anyone?

30. blaz0037 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:52 PM

and thats why they play better on the road. The home fans are actually a disadvantage.

How sad.

31. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Feb 1, 2012 3:14 PM

It’s probably the other way around, if I had to guess.

Ask Coughlin on Sunday night when Rolle gets gashed like nuts by Welker, Underwood, Branch, and Stinko, while Hernandez and the Gronks knock him into submission where he’s forgetting his name when they come across the middle. That’s if he doesn’t do his matador imitation.

His jersey should say “ROLLED” on the back of it to start camp next year.

32. cruuuzcontrol says: Feb 1, 2012 3:19 PM

Antrel is a very confident, but pensive, guy. He’s also the ultimate team guy… He’s been asked to play a variety of different to roles for this defense and he’s performed admirably. He’s not the greatest cover guy, but he’s gold against the run and a pretty good tackler. Not perfect (I’m sure someone will remind me that he missed a tackle here or there), but very good. And certainly not the worst player in their secondary, as alleged above. That spot will always be reserved for Aaron Ross.

33. mooreman338 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:44 PM

I can’t understand why people are constantly calling the Patriots cheaters for something that happened so long ago. I am not a Patriots fan. I am a Vikings fan whether they are a 12 men in the huddle away from a superbowl or 3-13 and I actually want the Giants to win. Spygate has no influence on the Patriots being in the Superbowl this year so just shut up and get over it.

34. youdownwithjpp says: Feb 1, 2012 3:45 PM

blaz0037 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:52 PM

case and point?

Fair-weather anyone?
    —————————–
    I was at the game and they were booing the OC Kevin Gilbride for his poor execution and predictable play calling, not Eli and the Giants. But you’re correct in saying that Giants fans can be quick to pull the trigger. But you have to understand the environment and mentality of the culture.

We just paid an exuberant amount in PSL’s along with season tickets, so yes, we expect a standard to be met. The same standard that has been with the Giants since inception, and that is a commitment to excellence. When we see or experience anything less we will acknowledge it. Some, like my self, internalize it and bring it up in intelligent football conversations. Others boo the OC at the game. I’m not saying either is right or wrong, it’s just the way it is.

And please don’t say, “but KG got you to the Superbowl”, because he didn’t. If you look back a lot of big plays were made on Eli’s audibles and player’s extra efforts. I think that with the way Eli has played this season you could put anyone at OC and they’d be successful.

35. situsavaisprier says: Feb 1, 2012 4:18 PM

What I find funny is when people say Rolle can’t keep his mouth closed. Really? Is that it? I mean, were you there when he was speaking? NO, people heard what he said and put it on here for people to read. The media puts what he said out there, it’s a story, and they give it a title.

I find nothing wrong with this article. It’s great to see another person change after being against Coughlin’s ways. By the way, Strahan changed toward Coughlin too, does he need to stop talking as well?

Let’s change some people, suppose it was Chad Ochocinco in Rolle’s place and Bill Belichick in Coughlin’s place, would people on here still be saying for the player to stop talking?

Man you can’t win. You answer the question with many words but no answer you are rambling, you show confidence you are talking trash, you answer generally you are talking too much, you don’t even answer the question you are mean to the media and classless, and if you don’t even go you get fined.

36. jg725 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:58 PM

patsfiend –

ummm…… you might want learn a little more about a player before you comment about them – antrelle rolle is certainly not a rookie….

37. patsfiend says: Feb 1, 2012 6:29 PM

@ jg275

Yeah, point taken. I was thinking of last year as his first year with the team (the Giants) … either way, I wouldn’t expect to hear from him telling any coach, let alone Coughlin, to “update his coaching methods!”

38. usmutts says: Feb 1, 2012 7:03 PM

“He is trying to help us become better men.”

I’m pretty sure this is not what Santonio said when Rex made him captain. Has anyone ever said this about Rex?

39. backindasaddle says: Feb 1, 2012 7:56 PM

So in other words…. Rolle was a typical young punk that thought he was above Coughlin’s coaching. Now he realizes that coach Coughlin is/was right. Maybe now Rolle is a better player and, just maybe, a better person as well. Coughlin is a great coach. His problem is one of generational and cultural clash with young hot shot players that look at him as a square, stuffy, rigid, old white guy. Rolle’s example here is perfect. Once THEY smarten up they realize that coach Coughlin is not only teaching them football, but he’s also teaching them how to become better people.

40. jackm79 says: Feb 1, 2012 8:50 PM

All you bashing Giants fans are nothing but JEALOUS!!! Don’t hate because your sh*t teams are incapable of getting it together and making a run.

Can’t wait for our parade on Tuesday!! Go Big Blue!!!

41. thejuddstir says: Feb 1, 2012 8:58 PM

“Does he not know that we are men before we ever step on the football field here as a Giant?”

————————————————-
    makin’ babies doesn’t make you a man.