Brandon Jacobs thinks he’ll be back with the Giants

Brandon Jacobs AP

Giants running back Brandon Jacobs has talked for months like a man who understood he was likely wrapping up his time in New York.

Four days before the Super Bowl, Jacobs feels a little differently. He was asked Wednesday if the Super Bowl will be his last game with the team.

“I honestly don’t think that’s the case. I think something’s going to get worked out,” Jacobs said via the New York Daily News.

We doubt it. Jacobs is due a $500,000 roster bonus in March and a huge salary. Jacobs knows he has to take a pay cut to stay, but we suspect the Giants are ready to move on.

Jacobs has been inconsistent at best this season. He doesn’t run with the same consistent aggression that he did early in his career. He’s too willing to bounce runs outside, and it rarely works out well.

It’s a topic that we conveniently talked about Tuesday on NBC SportsTalk.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Brandon Jacobs thinks he’ll be back with the Giants”
  1. rdawg911 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:28 PM

I would actually keep him as a third option/third down/short yardage back..he peaked in 2007…Giants probably need to take a running back in the 2nd or 3rd round.

2. jakek2 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:30 PM

As Ahnold once said, “He’ll be baaaack”. Their no. 1 RB Bradshaw is not making much and Jacobs will not solicit a big offer from another team. He loves playing in NY with his BFF and something will get done. Figure 2 years and 6.275 M should do it.

3. queensnyvegas says: Feb 1, 2012 2:31 PM

he has to show off his super bowl 46 ring right

4. fissels says: Feb 1, 2012 2:42 PM

I say doubtful at this point. They’ll be looking to get younger at RB next year

5. dezbryant says: Feb 1, 2012 2:46 PM

Brenda gets stopped on every 3rd and 4th and short.
    With Ware and Bradshaw no reason to waste any money on Jacobs.

6. hanspard says: Feb 1, 2012 2:49 PM

The pride of my alma mater is this clown….and Bart Scott. Yeah, go Salukis……

7. clavette says: Feb 1, 2012 2:51 PM

I can assure you brandon you wont be back next season

8. 49erstim says: Feb 1, 2012 2:52 PM

There are cheaper and better options out there. He tries to be an outside edge back instead of a power up the middle guy and that doesnt work out well due to the fact that he is slow. If I needed 2 yards up the middle I’d go with Bradshaw. Hes faster and somehow harder to take down. I’d say thats desire. This dude doesnt play well in the team setting. He is a candidate for the “All-Time ME squad”. Its a shame.

9. jakek2 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:13 PM

Jacobs is worth a roster spot, if anything, for the intangibles he brings to the Giants. Like in Austin Powers, he’s the bad-a@@ mojo in the Giants’ syringe. Dawkins was the same thing to the Eagles. His skills were diminished but he elevated everyone else’s play around him. That’s an important ingredient to have on a championship team and THE reason why he will return next year. You Dr. Evil haters hoping the Giants release (no pun intended) him so that you can steal the mojo can forget it. The big man is all ours!

10. halbriston says: Feb 1, 2012 3:19 PM

“I was just talking to someone and they said, ‘The Giants haven’t been able to get a third-and-1 in a long time.’ So this will stop finally because I will *not* be denied one yard.” – Brandon Jacobs, April 23, 2005

If you’d been able to back up that boast more than 50% of the time, I’d think you’d be more likely to stay.

11. bigbluelou says: Feb 1, 2012 3:23 PM

Time to get Da’rel Scott in next year.

12. vicioustackle says: Feb 1, 2012 3:36 PM

Too late = Burned his bridges already.

13. jakek2 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:37 PM

I don’t care what stats anyone gives me regarding Jacobs’ 4th and short success rate. For all I care, I’d gladly accept him to fail on every single one if it meant that he’d convert a single one in a SB to extend a game winning drive. Oh wait, that’s exactly what he did in 07′.

Yeah…he could keep on failing and he’ll still have an eternal place in this Giants’ fan heart for that MONSTROUS conversion.

14. fittytuckin says: Feb 1, 2012 4:28 PM

For him to be 265 lbs he sure runs soft more often than not.

15. dwntwnbadboy19 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:31 PM

Come back up Blount on my Sh$t team, i am sure the cheap Glaziers would sign you to a 5 year $3200 contract.

16. cool10857 says: Feb 1, 2012 5:17 PM

He’s so done being a Giant. Say goodbye Brandon, don’t let the door hit you in the rear on your way out! Good riddance.

17. chimps000 says: Feb 1, 2012 5:57 PM

I have seen too many runs with Jacobs running laterally and a small DB easily bring him down… usually the first guy to touch him brings him down. I’m not going to say its heart, as running back is a punishing position- but the lateral running for a big guy with poor speed makes me think he is not aware of his own decline.

18. stoney18 says: Feb 1, 2012 6:43 PM

Keep a running back that falls over when touched by a defensive back ?!?!?

19. ademell1 says: Feb 1, 2012 7:50 PM

The Giants should go get Michael Bush this off-season if they can.

That would be a great move for them, if they intend to replace Jacobs. Bush is a very good pass catcher out of the backfield and gets the tough yards.

Just don’t expect him to break a 60 yard run for a touchdown. But he’s as solid as it gets as a #2.

If he were a #1, than he’d have to drop like 15-25lbs. He was obviously getting gassed as the full time carrier after Mcfadden went down.

20. Mr. Wright 212 says: Feb 1, 2012 8:16 PM

I wouldn’t mind having him back; ONLY if we can’t get Marshawn Lynch.

21. fringetastic says: Feb 2, 2012 12:56 AM

I think the Giants can improve over Jacobs easily and cheaply, he’s more drama than production at this point.