Coughlin thinks it’s silly to even ask: Of course Gronkowski is playing

AFC Championship - Baltimore Ravens v New England Patriots Getty Images

The status of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski’s ankle has been the subject of hundreds of media questions already this week, and Giants coach Tom Coughlin says the questions can stop now.

It’s obvious, from Coughlin’s perspective, that Gronkowski will be ready to go.

“Not to belittle the question, I really do think he’ll play,” Coughlin said when asked about Gronkowski’s status today.

The question at this point seems to be less whether Gronkowski will play and more whether Gronkowski will play as many snaps as he usually does, and if he’ll be as effective as he usually is. Coughlin said the Giants will have to be ready to see the Patriots come out in different personnel packages if Gronkowski isn’t on the field quite as much as usual.

“I just think that we’ll prepare as if he’ll play and we’ll do our due diligence with any of these other personnel combinations that come up,” Coughlin said. “We are preparing naturally for different personnel sets, also including the fact that we think he’ll play.”

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Coughlin thinks it’s silly to even ask: Of course Gronkowski is playing”
  1. tomcan8 says: Feb 1, 2012 1:02 PM

Coughlin breathed today…. who cares?

2. trbowman says: Feb 1, 2012 1:03 PM

It’s the Super Bowl, stupid!

3. eessppnn says: Feb 1, 2012 1:05 PM

I love the EGO of the giants, you will see the PATRIOTS dominate. OL and our Dline will be better!

4. situsavaisprier says: Feb 1, 2012 1:08 PM

This big of game, of course he’ll play. Definitely doesn’t take Coach Coughlin to see that.

5. sj39 says: Feb 1, 2012 1:28 PM

They asked Gronk and he said “me Gronk, me play, spike ball”.

6. unbreakable02215 says: Feb 1, 2012 1:28 PM

Championship.

7. blue18hutthutt says: Feb 1, 2012 1:39 PM

I bet he’s not really even injured and that his dad was in on BB’s deception to offer up misleading information

8. alewatcher says: Feb 1, 2012 2:13 PM

Unless Gronk’s leg actually falls off, he’ll be on the field. If his leg does fall off, he’ll get fewer snaps than usual.

9. ironworker329 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:26 PM

Are you saying that the pats are cheating again? Hmm… :-/

10. dmretrogames says: Feb 1, 2012 2:31 PM

Pouncey said he would play last year for two weeks, but the ankle didn’t have time to heal. Of course, he needed more leverage than Gronk does, but still, I don’t expect him to be near 100%.

I see the Pats winning if they force multiple turnovers and don’t commit any. Otherwise, I don’t see how they stop the Giants on offense.

11. gisellichek says: Feb 1, 2012 3:11 PM

Turnovers will decide this game… Every game this playoff season was decided by turnovers…

Gronk will play… but don’t expect that to matter…

My key to the game…The team that scores the most points will win !!!

Pats will score more points!!!

12. pattyarbuccholz says: Feb 1, 2012 3:23 PM

blue18hutthutt says:
    Feb 1, 2012 1:39 PM

—————————————

Yeeeeeah, that ankle roll sure looked harmless. I’m sure he’s 100%. They must have made the whole thing up thinking the Giants will ignore him.

13. hebertespinosa says: Feb 1, 2012 3:31 PM

Gronk will play, no question about it.

14. catquick says: Feb 1, 2012 3:56 PM

As I understand it, Gronk has structural damage to the ligaments and tendons that will require surgery. A doctor explained that even with a shot of Topernol and an injection directly into his ankle, he still won’t have the the jumping and cutting ability he’s used to having. Not practicing for 2 weeks can’t help either. I suspect he’ll be off little use, or worse, a liability. Even if he can run, the first tackler will slide down and turn him over by the legs, and its lights out. A huge loss at the worst possible time. Gronks from my neck of the woods, and although I don’t like the Pats, I love a local boy making good and wish him well. My heart goes out to him as this is what every kid playing dreams of and now its evaporating. His loss is huge, and should propell the Giants to a win. Its just too much to overcome. He’s most of their offensive threat, by his play or diversion.

15. august1969 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:12 PM

if the Pats can score, intercept, score, and go up 14-0, roll out the 6 dbs…all the analysis changes to favor the Pats

Eli is due for some picks…thats just a statistical fact

16. unbreakable02215 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:36 PM

catquick says:Feb 1, 2012 3:56 PM

An ENTIRE paragraph of pure speculation…

Wowza !

17. sschmiggles says: Feb 1, 2012 4:47 PM

Of course he has “ligament damage.” The definition of an ankle sprain is a strain of the ligaments in the ankle.

Also, he doesn’t need “surgery” per se, he needs his ankle scoped out, a procedure that the majority of NFL players undergo after the season for a variety of injuries.

He hasn’t torn any ligaments or tendons. If he did, he’d be in a cast, not walking around in sneakers.

They also aren’t finished if he’s out of the game. This team is more underrated than any other Super Bowl contender in recent memory. They still have Welker, Branch, Hernandez, Woodhead, even Ochocinco and Edelman. The Pats had their best drive against the Ravens without Gronkowski in the game. That was the drive they scored the go-ahead touchdown.

Just stop speculating. No one except the Patriots actually knows what’s going on with Gronk’s ankle.

18. richwizl says: Feb 1, 2012 5:27 PM

Anyone with a brain knows he’ll play; nobody is hiding that. Obviously, he won’t be 100% but, hopefully he can give them one good half, at least. It won’t matter anyway; the Pats are not one dimensional; they played many games without Hernandez this year, as well. The Pats will score; the question is whether they can frustrate the Giants’ potent passing attack. We’ll find out Sunday.