Longtime NFL line coach Bill Muir retires

Kansas City Chiefs 2011 Headshots Getty Images

Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star reports that former Chiefs offensive coordinator Bill Muir has retired. Muir informed the team of his intentions Wednesday morning.

The Chiefs wanted Muir back to coach their offensive line, but the 69-year-old told the Star that he’s had enough of football. He spent 28 seasons as an NFL offensive line coach and has been coaching in some capacity since the late 1960s.

“I feel badly because they want me to stay,” Muir said. “I’m not leaving because of anything that has gone on or will go on with the Chiefs. This is a personal decision. It’s very personal. I’ve been denying myself a lot of things over the years, but I’m at a point in my life where I want to do some other things.”

The Chiefs have interviewed quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn as a candidate to replace Muir as offensive coordinator.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
8 Responses to “Longtime NFL line coach Bill Muir retires”
  1. dave0320 says: Feb 1, 2012 2:28 PM

Zorn says he will resign if he dosen’t get the job!

2. realitypolice says: Feb 1, 2012 2:40 PM

Old people look funny.

3. smartanis says: Feb 1, 2012 2:45 PM

“The Chiefs wanted Muir back to coach their offensive line.”

Wasn’t he the OC last season as well? Seems like he was told that he could either accept a demotion or retire, and he chose retirement. Explains why Jim Zorn wasn’t allowed to interview with Chicago.

4. bearsblow says: Feb 1, 2012 2:46 PM

Nice job Bill way to go.

5. yelix says: Feb 1, 2012 2:48 PM

This is for the best. That team needs a complete overhaul on the offensive coaching staff.

I don’t really want Zorn as OC. If the right guy for the job was already on staff, the offense wouldn’t have been so miserable all year long.

6. smokehouse56 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:19 PM

realitypolice says: Old people look funny.

Hey, I took offense to that statement. I’ve looked old for the past 60 years.

7. woodsa22 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:43 PM

I respect Muir and i am very glad he has had a long and impressive career. Being the line coach of one of the Top O-lines in the NFL is quite impressive. In 2003, Roaf, Shields, and Waters, were the heart of that wall that made Priest holmes a stud, and kept the best DE’s off of Trent Green.

HOWEVER, im glad that the chiefs are getting a fresh set of legs on offense. I didnt like Muir as OC.

Good Luck Bill, enjoy your retirement.

8. riverhorsey says: Feb 1, 2012 5:05 PM

Bill was pissed about the demotion. Don’t blame him, he lost the most explosive back in the NFL week one and the only QB the Chiefs had week 9.