Osi apologizes: “I misunderstood the schedule”

Osi Umenyiora AP

Osi Umenyiora was the only player who failed to appear for his media responsibilities this morning, then set a new NFL record for the fastest fine, when he was docked $20,000 less than two hours later.

Now Umenyiora has offered an apology, blaming the whole thing on a scheduling mix-up.

“I misunderstood the schedule,” Umenyiora said. “It won’t happen again, and I will be at tomorrow’s media session and available after the game. I apologize for any inconvenience my absence this morning may have caused.”

It’s hard to understand how Umenyiora could misunderstand the schedule: The schedule called for the entire team to go to the same place at the same time this morning, and Umenyiora was the only one who misunderstood. Something tells me that it wasn’t so much a matter of misunderstanding as a matter of oversleeping.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Osi apologizes: “I misunderstood the schedule””
  1. daysend564 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:23 PM

Oversleeping, missing meetings?

If it was someone like Dez Bryant, he’d be getting completely crucified by the media right now.

2. goforthanddie says: Feb 1, 2012 3:24 PM

Why lie about it? The only person who got hurt is his accountant, no biggie.

3. eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:25 PM

Sorry Osi, let me explain it to you. On the schedule, there is a time, and a place. You go to the place, at the time.

4. hebertespinosa says: Feb 1, 2012 3:27 PM

Lame excuse, Osi!

5. silverandblack052099 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:28 PM

What a joke!

$20,000 for skipping media day for the SB, but Goodell fines players only $7,500 for “illegal” helmet-to-helmet hits. I thought the league was concerned about safety. No, they are just concerned with enforcing their rules.

I am growing tired of Roger Goodell’s “good ‘ol boy” mentality and back-alley handshakes when running the league.

6. sj39 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:29 PM

If I made the kind of money they do, I’d skip it and pay the fine too. Media snakes are almost as bad as lawyers.

7. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Feb 1, 2012 3:29 PM

In other words Osi was up all night

Poppin bottles
    Makin it rain
    Mean muggin
    spillin while he was sippin
    and at some point ended up in a G6

Most likely happened in that order too. Can ya blame the man??

8. gcw440 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:33 PM

Hope he has the same misunderstanding about what time the game starts sunday

9. dexterismyhero says: Feb 1, 2012 3:35 PM

@silverandblack052099 says:Feb 1, 2012 3:28 PM

What a joke!

=================================
    You sound like a Steeler fan, but your name tells us otherwise. Same difference I guess. Meathead.

10. eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:37 PM

My drankin’ pa’tnah.
    My buddy, my cuzzzz,
    late when ya get ‘em a buzzzzzzzz.

11. ftblfan9 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:37 PM

Hopefully he’ll be a no-show in the Patriots backfield – but I doubt it.

Non-story.

12. metalhead65 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:38 PM

what the hell could they possibly ask today that they could not have asked yesterday? why the need to have them appear and answer the same questions everyday?

13. jakek2 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:39 PM

daysend564 says:
    Feb 1, 2012 3:23 PM
    Oversleeping, missing meetings?

——————-

Yeah…if it was someone like Dez Bryant that would mean the Cowboys were in the Super Bowl for it to happen in the first place. Maybe you were in the same dream world Osi was in when he missed his meeting.

14. rpiotr01 says: Feb 1, 2012 3:42 PM

How do I reach these keeeedzz?!?

Repeat after me: “I mis. interpreted. the rules!”

15. dccowboy says: Feb 1, 2012 3:47 PM

Is he sure he didn’t misquote himself?

16. whatnojets says: Feb 1, 2012 3:48 PM

Do you think he will make it to the game on time??

Maybe they should tell him that the game starts at 11:00 AM and he should be in the locker room by 8:00 AM. If and when he shows up, they should lock the door until around 3:00 when the rest of the players actually do show up.

17. thatobnoxiousguy says: Feb 1, 2012 3:51 PM

Osi apologizes: “I misunderstood the schedule”

***********************

That’s ok Osi……..at least you didn’t “misinterpet” the rules

18. cleverbob says: Feb 1, 2012 3:52 PM

He misunderestimated his alarm.

19. fittytuckin says: Feb 1, 2012 4:12 PM

daysend564 says:
    Feb 1, 2012 3:23 PM

Oversleeping, missing meetings?

——————————
    And rightfully so, because we expect stupid things like that from him.

20. redbeardxxv says: Feb 1, 2012 4:21 PM

Osi opted not to show because Osi is on his own schedule. Which is why he’ll be on the Seahawks next year. Your declining health and eroding abilities, combined with your constant whining and yearly money grabs, have written your ticket. JPP will take your spot, and the Gmen will draft your replacement in April.

21. situsavaisprier says: Feb 1, 2012 4:24 PM

The way the media is they could probably do something like this.

Osi says he’ll be available after the game = Osi will be in the mood to answer questions
    Osi will be in the mood to answer questions = Osi is happy
    Osi is happy = Giants win Super Bowl

Osi says Giants will win Super Bowl. Wouldn’t surprise me the way they badly misinterpret, missquote, and make up stuff.

22. jaymc1988 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:34 PM

rpiotr01 says:
    Feb 1, 2012 3:42 PM
    How do I reach these keeeedzz?!?
    _______
    lmaoooo. good SP quote.

and who cares about this story..as long as osi destroys brady 5-6 times this game im good w it..gmmmmmmen

23. dwntwnbadboy19 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:37 PM

Osi apology should read ” I am sorry Rodger, i am a rich athlete, let hookers and booze interfere with my media session, god damn these Indy women be smokin”

24. superfuzz1000 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:42 PM

Remember the good old days when we actually talked about football. Why do I care or should anyone care about the fact that Umenyiora missed his “media responsibilities,” or what his excuse might have been. The only thing I care about is whether he will be there on Sunday bashing heads. I suppose I’m asking too much of PFT, and I should actually reside myself to TMZ-like football coverage for the remainder of my life.

25. weepingjebus says: Feb 1, 2012 4:45 PM

Well, at least now he’ll make the Super Bowl, which starts promptly at 9 pm.

26. stinkfingers says: Feb 1, 2012 4:46 PM

Why would she meet you in a bar at 10 in the morning?

I just thought she was a raging alcoholic.

27. jimr10 says: Feb 1, 2012 4:48 PM

I think it is funny that the only way the press can get interviews is that it is mandatory for players to do so… i guess that is free speech for you..

28. mightyleemoon says: Feb 1, 2012 4:55 PM

Ah, and in roll the lame, tired Goodell cracks. Guy oversleeps and people take shots at Goodell…

Boring…

29. stixzidinia says: Feb 1, 2012 4:56 PM

Good for him. If I were a pro athlete i’d ignore the media on general principle.

30. 2sausage11 says: Feb 1, 2012 5:03 PM

Who cares as long as he’s at the game Monday right Osi

31. hedleykow says: Feb 1, 2012 6:01 PM

When he looked in the mirror and figured out he looked like fiddler on the roof, he decided to skip all public appearances that day. Look at that freaking picture. Can you blame him for hiding in his room?

32. kya_tropic_fan says: Feb 1, 2012 6:26 PM

daysend564 says:Feb 1, 2012 3:23 PM

Oversleeping, missing meetings?

________________________________

Imagine how bad it would be if he misinterpreted the schedule…

33. lanman11 says: Feb 1, 2012 6:28 PM

……and it still keeps getting worse for the Giants.

This is the guy that pretended to be injured when his team was losing games, not to be confused with the guys who pretended to be injured on the filed to get extra time outs when the team was losing. He’s a metaphor for this team. Talented, but lazy. That’s how you lose 7 games and make it to the Super Bowl.

Perhaps not as much talent on the Patriots, but they always make the most out of what they have. It’s The American Way.

The Patriots seem to have love working for them. Love gives you 20x more endurance and stamina. It gets you to do things that you could not actually do for yourself, right to the end.

This has to show up at some point, probably late in the game on Sunday. I’m getting amped.

34. foxboro24 says: Feb 1, 2012 7:34 PM

Easy, take the rest of the day off with pay. If I missed work I would be fired.

35. stevenfbrackett says: Feb 1, 2012 7:38 PM

What everyone seems to be missing – and that I find hilarious – is that apparently no one on the team or coaching staff seemed to miss him or thought to call him and tell him they were ‘leaving and he needed to get down there NOW!’.

36. lilrob10201 says: Feb 1, 2012 8:33 PM

Dear NFL , Can I barrow 20K ?

37. backindasaddle says: Feb 2, 2012 2:14 AM