Osi says if fines were $1,000, players wouldn’t talk to the media

Osi Umenyiora AP

Osi Umenyiora was fined $20,000 for skipping a Wednesday morning press event, and he said on Thursday that he has no problem with that.

In fact, Umenyiora said, it makes perfect sense that the fine for skipping media access is substantial, because if it wasn’t players wouldn’t do it.

“It makes sense because the NFL is a business, you understand,” Umenyiora said. “Players are the product, and the fans are the customers. The only way that we can reach them is through you guys, the media, so we have to be responsible and speak to the people. If it was like a $1,000 fine or something like that, most of the people they will laugh at it. They wouldn’t even come downstairs and talk, but you make the fine substantial enough it is going to make people want to show up.”

Asked if he was sorry, Umenyiora said he was sorry to lose $20,000, but he did find it surprising that he had to go to another media event less than 24 hours after Media Day — when the Giants hadn’t even had a practice in the interim.

“It cost me a lot of money, I am sorry about that,” Umenyiora said. “At the end of the day I don’t really know what I could have discussed with you guys between Tuesday’s media day and Wednesday morning. It is not like we had a practice or anything like that. At the end of the day, I understand why they did it and I am okay with it.”

Umenyiora said he didn’t oversleep on Wednesday morning and that he was awake and with family in Indianapolis, thinking he had the morning off and leaving his phone behind. He didn’t know what happened until he returned to the team hotel and saw how many messages he had.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Osi says if fines were $1,000, players wouldn’t talk to the media”
  1. 4ever19 says: Feb 2, 2012 5:08 PM

And the fans would not miss whatever they had to say at all.

2. dmaziuk says: Feb 2, 2012 5:08 PM

Tell that to Ochocinco and TO

3. nabz034 says: Feb 2, 2012 5:08 PM

I like his answer about being sorry, I’d be upset about losing $20k too especially if he did it the next morning.

4. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 2, 2012 5:09 PM

It’s an hour of answering questions and you can give the same response for every questioned asked.

5. jerrysandusky1 says: Feb 2, 2012 5:10 PM

Make the Refs talk to the media. Ed Hochili is always giving looong drawn out and useless statements about holding calls. If he wants to yap so much put him to the media questioning.

6. mjkelly77 says: Feb 2, 2012 5:10 PM

7. bandanamac says: Feb 2, 2012 5:15 PM

So wait, do they get $20K for talking to the media?

8. voiceofrealism says: Feb 2, 2012 5:17 PM

as if we needed more evidence that players make too damn much money.

9. december77 says: Feb 2, 2012 5:17 PM

Not a big Osi fan, but he’s right. The media is only interested in stirring up drama by taking things out of context, twisting words around, and making something out of nothing to keep themselves employed.

10. jimr10 says: Feb 2, 2012 5:17 PM

No.. he is saying that is the only way “reporters” can get interviews…Long live OSI…

11. panamon says: Feb 2, 2012 5:18 PM

Osi says if fines were $1,000, no player would talk to the media

“most of the people”

No he didn’t.

12. booonly says: Feb 2, 2012 5:18 PM

I don’t know about you, but a $1000 fine is big for me.

13. rexismybff says: Feb 2, 2012 5:20 PM

So, the only reason there was anything at all for Osi to talk about with the media today was that he missed the chance to discuss absolutely nothing with the media yesterday and got fined $20,000 for it.

Makes perfect sense.

14. uwsptke says: Feb 2, 2012 5:20 PM

“Umenyiora said he didn’t oversleep on Wednesday morning and that he was awake”

Ok Usi, I’m with you so far.

“with family in Indianapolis, thinking he had the morning off and leaving his phone behind. He didn’t know what happened until he returned to the team hotel and saw how many messages he had.”

15. weepingjebus says: Feb 2, 2012 5:22 PM

Mercenary.

16. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Feb 2, 2012 5:24 PM

If you like fines so much you should have held out !

17. bradwins says: Feb 2, 2012 5:26 PM

I’m a Pats fan, so you know I’m not just sticking up for my guy here. Actually the opposite. But I’m glad he said it.

The media sucks, and any fan that cares what a player says, or whether he says anything at all, sucks too.

The media is annoying. They are the hall monitors of professional sports. I do follow sports and read sites like this one, but I wish they would just leave players alone and let them play. Report on the games and of the business of the sport; analyze; whatever. But why do media people love to pester athletes so much?

18. notdumb says: Feb 2, 2012 5:26 PM

mjkelly77 says:Feb 2, 2012 5:10 PM In other words, Osi Umenyiora is saying that the players make too much money and that they don’t really care about the fans at all.
    exactly right so you and all the other resentful losers that hate the players and money they EARN should just stop watching Football

19. djstat says: Feb 2, 2012 5:30 PM

I often go places with my phone OFF or not with me so don’t knock Osi.

20. yatista says: Feb 2, 2012 5:30 PM

Freedom of speech, yes. How about some freedom FROM speech? I marvel at the restraint of the NFL players in the face of repetitive, inane, non-informative questions (and subsequent answers) from most sports reporters.

A lot of, I’m not sure how many, players have active twitter accounts. If you want to know what’s on their mind, follow them.

21. chrisexv6 says: Feb 2, 2012 5:32 PM

@jerrysandusky1:

The refs would need more security protection than the players!

Maybe a bulletproof glass domed “Ref Mobile” ?

22. nflovercollegefb says: Feb 2, 2012 5:33 PM

Back at ya Osi, I’d pay $1,000 not to have to hear some of these inarticulate guys spew their drivel.

Honestly, some of these guys don’t have an original thought in their heads but luckily for them they can play ball.

23. gcsuk says: Feb 2, 2012 5:36 PM

booonly says: Feb 2, 2012 5:18 PM

I don’t know about you, but a $1000 fine is big for me.
    ———————————————————————-

Big for me too, but I ain’t making $5 mil a year.

24. rexryanstoecheese says: Feb 2, 2012 5:54 PM

damn! talk about a unappreciative, entitled athlete.
    Osi, check it out: No one outside of NY gives a damn about what you have to say, and they only care because your a freak athlete who can play football at the highest level in the world.

It could be worse; you could be stuck in a 9-5 or more apt 8-6 job like the rest of us “normal” folks, not making monopoly money and NOT being set for life – if you play your cards right, which is another story altogether.
    Undisciplined, arrogant, unprofessional entitled “athlete”.

Dont hear of ANY NE players whining like this JackA$$.

25. medtxpack says: Feb 2, 2012 6:00 PM

Osi shouldnt open his mouth ever. THe Nfl should pay him to not talk. Hes the biggest D-Lineman Diva since Sapp.

26. hobomoney says: Feb 2, 2012 6:12 PM

UWSPKE

-Yeah, that’s 100% not true. Nobody in today’s world intentionally leaves their phone behind. He’s basically saying in this interview that players would blow off the media session if given the chance, which is exactly what he intentionally did, but then says “whoops, I didn’t mean to, though. I innocently left my phone behind.”-

Really? I bet he wanted some peace and quiet and the only way to do that was not to have a phone. Mission accomplished in a CRAZY week for him. To bad he didn’t know the schedule.

27. psdaleno says: Feb 2, 2012 6:20 PM

Ten years from most of these players would probably pay a $1,000.00 just to be remembered for a day and talk about the old days in the NFL.

28. situsavaisprier says: Feb 2, 2012 6:26 PM

I’m curious about people mentioning how players keep talking. Do they realize that the media happens to be asking them questions? And also that the players don’t have their own Talk Show with transcripts?

29. marima07 says: Feb 2, 2012 6:35 PM

We all know these guys make gobs of money, but the carelessness of being able to throw away money remark rubs the wrong way.

This is why most fans weren’t running for the players side during the lockout. It’s guys like Osi who made us skeptical of their cries of poor mouth.

30. sportsfuhnatic says: Feb 2, 2012 7:21 PM

His dad came into town from Nigeria to see him and to see him play, in person, as an NFL player. Sorry, but family comes before all else. Granted it was mandatory and he should’ve been fined, but if he loses the money to go see his family or spend time with them, he probably feels it was 20K well spent. Can’t judge him for that.

31. prior0knowledge says: Feb 2, 2012 7:36 PM

Hey, with the 20K fine, he has something to talk about – Money!

32. porkchop717 says: Feb 2, 2012 8:17 PM

Who names there baby osi?

33. joyjoy69 says: Feb 2, 2012 8:43 PM

Actually, this is one of the areas that the NFLPA has failed the players. It most certainly is in the league’s best interest to do this. However, what do you think is going to happen when players are forced to talk to the media during and right after a game? Emotions are high, adrenaline is flowing, and players are going to say stupid things they will regret 5-10% of the time at least. That creates a lot of the stupid controversies you see in the press, making for great press and increased interest in the game. But it sure does lead to big player fines and suspensions, mess up a lot of player’s images and throw them to the wolves! How many of the stupid quotes from players like TO, Randy Moss and others came from these moments? If the NFLPA cared about the individual player’s interests, they would fight to ban press access to locker rooms, the sideline and required media days! Let the players that want to talk talk. Let the players who are smart enough to know they aren’t clear-headed enough to speak to the media avoid it.

34. mnfan1 says: Feb 2, 2012 9:08 PM

I’d think I’d be in trouble if I ditched work to spend time with my family. Mandatory means mandatory!! I don’t buy he didn’t know his schedule, complete lie. These players have been given schedule, been told and retold what the weeks schedule is. Whatever man I can’t stand Osi’s attitude he’s a diva trained under Strahan how to act as a NFL diva

35. rcali says: Feb 2, 2012 9:28 PM

A lot of players seem to hate on the media but all the media is generally doing is reporting what is out there. You don’t want reporters asking you about being a bad teammate, then be a better teammate…etc…

36. nerdyturdy says: Feb 3, 2012 12:12 AM

Tired of his bee esss. What a dummy.

37. piemasteruk says: Feb 3, 2012 1:52 AM

NFL player in ‘understanding the big picture’ shock…

38. melikefootball says: Feb 3, 2012 8:44 AM

You can’t blame the players to say this. The media chooses what part of an answer to dwell on and they aren’t held accountable for this. Questions asks twenty different ways and many are just so they can get their quota for the day. I love when the shows as NFL Channel and ESPN the Heard talk one on one to a player and all is rosey then when they get in the protection of their shows they beat a player up on his answers.

39. righteousaviator says: Feb 4, 2012 11:36 AM

If my employer tells me I have to do X, Y, or Z I do it. Not for the love of my job or my employer but for my desire to remain employed. It’s in the job description.

40. defenseless0receiver says: Feb 4, 2012 12:03 PM

So if Giants win Osi will only pocket $68K vice $88K…That will show him who’s the boss.