Antrel Rolle wanted out of New York just six weeks ago

Super Bowl XLVI - Media Day Getty Images

Giants safety Antrel Rolle’s roller coaster ride in New York is no secret. His up-and-down play has mirrored his inconsistent attitude about his time in New York.

Still, we didn’t know how frustrated Rolle truly was. Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Rolle wanted out of New York for much of the year, as recently as Week 15.

“He kept telling us he wanted out,” safeties coach David Merritt said.

Merritt kept the encouraging text messages he sent to Rolle at the time and they can be viewed in Garafolo’s article.

“Merritt has helped me a lot,” Rolle said. “We’ve had a lot of 1-on-1 personal conversations, not anything about football, but about life in general. And he’s also a huge reason why I was able to buy into playing my role as a nickel [cornerback]. I was extremely frustrated after the Washington game.”

Rolle has essentially played cornerback most of the year. It hasn’t always played to his strengths, and his frustrations were obvious. Now Tom Coughlin and Rolle are engaged in a public lovefest. Rolle is seen as one of the team leaders.

It’s amazing what six weeks and five wins can do.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Antrel Rolle wanted out of New York just six weeks ago”
  1. glennsyank13 says: Feb 3, 2012 6:16 PM

What a drama queen.

2. NakedCowboy! says: Feb 3, 2012 6:16 PM

winning cures all ills!

3. situsavaisprier says: Feb 3, 2012 6:17 PM

*waits for the Giants stop talking crying from people on site despite the fact that someone took the quotes and posted it online for a story*

4. august1969 says: Feb 3, 2012 6:19 PM

he’ll want out again come Monday.

5. bigjdve says: Feb 3, 2012 6:20 PM

He is just like 1/2 the athlete’s out there. They are all about themselves, the problem is that they don’t really know what they want.

They don’t know what respect means. They don’t know alot. They think that they do but they don’t. Then they go and show how ignorant they are.

6. nfl fan says: Feb 3, 2012 6:22 PM

at the end of the day…he talks too much and until recently, hasn’t played that well.

7. mattyice2011 says: Feb 3, 2012 6:27 PM

Can antrell rolle please just shut up already

8. unclenasty says: Feb 3, 2012 6:37 PM

I was calling for this guy’s head after the Washington game. He missed a tackle that allowed Washington to gain 16 yards on what I believe was 3rd and 17, and they converted the subsequent 4th down. I still think he’s a bit overrated and he talks way too much. A good game Sunday and all will be forgotten though.

9. tedmurph says: Feb 3, 2012 6:39 PM

On Monday NY will want him out too. This guy couldn’t cover me.

10. lanman11 says: Feb 3, 2012 6:40 PM

Another Giant defender that needs to be stroked by the coach to play well……

We’ve learned a lot about the Giants this week.

11. situsavaisprier says: Feb 3, 2012 6:41 PM

mattyice2011

You do realize that while the story is new, this text is from DECEMBER 18, 2011 right? Not only that he WAS ASKED about this, but SO WAS THE SAFETIES’ COACH. I ask you, what should Rolle and Merritt do when they are being interviewed? Stare into space like they’re in a trance?

I still find it funny how people keep telling the Giants to stop question, yet it’s people that ask them question during Conferences (I believe they do this with every single team) and the Media decides what to put out there for stories. The NY Media is very big, check out some NY/NJ sports teams websites and you will see. They make stories about pretty much anything. If you hve a complaint about seeing a lot of Giants’ quotes, you really should target the people making the stories/articles.

12. rj88888 says: Feb 3, 2012 6:41 PM

There is no team on Antrell Rolle’s island.

13. ttommytom says: Feb 3, 2012 6:43 PM

He is the weak link on the D.

And he complains the most

And he talks the most

Just play the game, please.

14. situsavaisprier says: Feb 3, 2012 6:44 PM

Also for the record, I may be heavily defending my team because I feel that there is too much fuss over some quotes people bring up while not mentioning everything that was asked or what the players said. However, I definitely was not a fan of Antrel Rolle’s 95 out of 100 then 99 out of 100 regarding the Giants beating the Redskins quote. You want stupid, that is stupid. He won’t even be around for a big majority of those games.

15. trbowman says: Feb 3, 2012 6:45 PM

He talks A LOT for a guy who’s average at best.

Too bad his game isn’t half as good as his mouth.

16. backindasaddle says: Feb 3, 2012 6:57 PM

If the Giants have any rough spots next year and lose 2 or 3 games in a row, guess who’ll be the 1st guy abandoning the ship and throwing other guys/coaches under the bus? It’s tough to teach somebody character when it just isn’t in them.

17. preventdefense says: Feb 3, 2012 6:57 PM

18. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Feb 3, 2012 6:59 PM

excerpt and antrel quote from the article…“It really doesn’t matter to me if I play another down at safety again as a Giant,” Rolle said. “As long as we have a ‘W,’ at the end of the day, I’m good with that.”

as a giants fan, all i can say antrel is WOW! that’s what it is about, winning as a team!!
    way to go antrel!!!

and to all the little punks that commented above that probably didn’t even read the article…keep on hating!

19. yettyskills says: Feb 3, 2012 7:14 PM

win or lose they should cut his over-rated big mouth

20. jrfrom508 says: Feb 3, 2012 7:20 PM

Awful attitude. It’s easy when the team wins, character shows in adversity. Glad he plays for them and not the Pats.

21. cytofed says: Feb 3, 2012 7:28 PM

These type of people makes the Tim Tobow of the world look even better.

22. cannonballdookie says: Feb 3, 2012 7:38 PM

The winning sure helped change his attitude. He’s still an arrogant turd, shame because I’m really pulling for the Giants this Sunday but he’s very annoying.

23. bodeee1975 says: Feb 3, 2012 7:49 PM

UMMMMMM can somebody please explain to me when we decided to let the lower tier players become so vocal and let them actually think their comments mattered……This gal here, she is a failed first round pick whose only claim to fame is opening her mouth….The media lets this meathead actually think her comments are funny so she keeps yapping away…..When has this BOZO even been considered average…..Come on Rolle is no difference maker and yet he is the one that yaps the most….MY GOD I cant wait till this team loses and this idiot will be talking about wanting out of town again…..Im sick of hearing from Rolle, lets hear from som all pros for a change!!!!!

24. Ralphie says: Feb 3, 2012 8:02 PM

tinkletinkleonyourstar says:
    Feb 3, 2012 6:59 PM

way to go antrel!!!
    ___________________________

Don’t let Antrel’s ball bag hit you on the chin on the way out the door.

25. 6250claimer says: Feb 3, 2012 8:12 PM

The Cardinals were criticized when they let Antrelle walk as a free agent, but reality is they offered him essentially the same (insane) money that the Giants did, and he just wanted to move on. Hindsight is always 20/20, and it’s clear that he’s not worth nearly the paycheck he draws, especially with the drama added in. Also he was essentially a bust as a corner and had to be moved to safety to try to salvage his career, and he did well enough to somehow get the massive contract. Good riddance, buddy.. the Gi’nts can have you.

26. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Feb 3, 2012 8:12 PM

Ralphie-
    that sounds like about the calibur of thing that a 13 year old boy would say! (but then again, maybe you are 13)
    it really is quite enjoyable to see the comments from fans of teams who will be watching the sb from their couches!!

27. artiesliver says: Feb 3, 2012 8:31 PM

he’s like wild beast

28. commitment2excrement says: Feb 3, 2012 8:33 PM

only thing that rivals his mouth, is the size of that nose!

29. pdma7 says: Feb 3, 2012 8:33 PM

A little too lot too late,

30. yankees177 says: Feb 3, 2012 8:36 PM

Before you people critize his play at corner please know the giants never signed him to play corner. Hes a safety bit corner is a thin position for the giants after their best corner TT went down in the preseason. Hes doing a pretty good job considering what hes been doing. Aaron Ross is supposed to be the 3rd corner not 2nd and his girlfriend is a better athlete than him. Just goes to show you how little credit Perry Fewell gets for the job hes done.

31. tatum064 says: Feb 3, 2012 8:47 PM

i’m sure N.Y. wants him out, too.

Go Blue! (Big Blue, that is)

32. rahavort says: Feb 3, 2012 8:57 PM

Figures, another baby NFL player whining to get off a team. Now he won’t shut his mouth about how he’s in the superbowl. He doesn’t deserve it

33. gcsuk says: Feb 3, 2012 9:02 PM

bodeee1975 says:
    Feb 3, 2012 7:49 PM
    ———————————————————

I’m sure she would be happy to shut your mouth for you, internet tough-guy.

And his comments obviously matter more than yours, because nobody is interviewing you, and nobody really gives a hill of beans about your life.

34. buzzbissinger says: Feb 3, 2012 9:17 PM

That’s what happens when you’re a loud-mouthed punk, something comes back to bite you every once in a while…

35. east96st says: Feb 3, 2012 9:19 PM

“You know, to be fair, if this guy was playing for Dallas Giants fans would make the earth stop trying to point out what a dip$hit he is.”

You know, to be fair, I almost never rip into Dallas players. The owner provides so much comic relief, almost daily, there’s really no need to say anything about the players.

36. nfl1818 says: Feb 3, 2012 9:20 PM

Fine line between super bowl teams and post season disarray

37. Ralphie says: Feb 3, 2012 9:24 PM

Me… me me me……me me me me me…..ME ME ME…….me…….ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

39. yevrag3535 says: Feb 3, 2012 9:43 PM

See ya, creep.

40. burds358 says: Feb 3, 2012 10:23 PM

b***h

41. bodeee1975 says: Feb 3, 2012 10:42 PM

Oh really is that what its all about …huh loudmouth, am i supposed to get punched for talking about a loudmouthed player…huh???Interesting…yeah I dont think Im the guy here who now decides to take it to a new level…..look here buddy you dont know one thing about me just like I dont you and dont care but your goofy butt is commenting on here just like me so I guess that makes you a internet tough guy tooooooo…Im hardly scared by folks who think that punching someone is the answer get real…..GET REAL…The guy chose a profession, and in that profession one of the things that goes with his job is scrutiny by the public…..Now, bear with me simpleminded little man but I have every right to say he/she is a punk and he gets paid lots of dough to take those comments in stride, especially since he has done a whole lot of talking and not a whole lot of showing……Now I guess i should run and hide …..But dont count on it fella !!!

42. skinsrollyou says: Feb 3, 2012 11:24 PM

Bout the time the redskins shut his mouth for the second time

43. worldwidebleater says: Feb 3, 2012 11:37 PM

“If they played the Redskins 100 times, the Redskins would beat them 5.” The Giants need to go 97 and 3 going forward.

44. buzzbissinger says: Feb 3, 2012 11:44 PM

Funny thing is (and I’m NOT a Giants fan): if they were to bench all the guys that have been mouthing off this week, they would certainly win. It seems like the talent on the team are the ones conducting themselves professionally; it’s the fringe guys that are mouthing off and drawing ire.

45. farvite says: Feb 4, 2012 12:38 AM

I’d like for this guy to shut his yap.

Neither of appear to be getting our wish.

46. anthonykornheiser says: Feb 4, 2012 1:07 AM

@Bodeee1975
    Every comment on here whether defending rolle or ripping him had substance. I read both of your comments and i have to say, youre 36 years old, possibly 37. Are you kidding with those two comments? The whole “she” post that you concocted thinking you would get 100 thumbs up an then arguing with someone like i was reading a retarded JHS kids rant is completely corny. using “she” 300 times, 1. im sure rolle is taking your comments in stride because he isnt reading them 2. you dont have to run or hide. everyone knows you’re hiding in your mothers basement, pushing 40.

47. nannymcsack says: Feb 4, 2012 3:41 AM

i’d want out if i lost to the redskins twice too

48. draculalambert says: Feb 4, 2012 5:33 AM

Look at that smug photo. Not a care in the world…

keep on keep’n on, playa!

49. foxboro24 says: Feb 4, 2012 8:10 AM

Another guy who needs to look in the mirror.

50. teedraper says: Feb 4, 2012 7:03 PM

After reading these comments…I could see why Rolle wanted out. 99% of you are clueless about football & is exactly where the criticism comes from. Rolle has been playing out of position all year but dumb fans & columnists don’t even really understand the game so they rip him to sheds.

& stop calling Rolle selfish… he’s an All Pro safety playing more corner than safety this year. Close your mouths & learn the game.

51. kpow55 says: Feb 5, 2012 3:00 AM

And Ocho blows by him for the go ahead game winner