NFL Network plans 13 Thursday night games in 2012

Roger Goodell AP

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell revealed today that the number of regular-season games televised by NFL Network is about to increase.

Goodell said NFL Network will expand to 13 Thursday night games for the 2012 season, and he added that with the increased number of prime time games, all 32 NFL teams will be guaranteed at least one prime time game over the course of the 2012 season.

Between the NFL Network Thursday night offerings and NBC having Thursday night games for Week 1 and Thanksgiving, fans should be ready for Thursday Night Football to become a regular part of their lives, just as fans have grown accustomed to football all day Sunday and again on Monday night.

“We’re going to be playing Thursday night games from Week 2 to Week 15,” in addition to the annual Thursday night regular-season opener, Goodell said.

“The market for NFL Network is here,” Goodell said. “And it’s going to continue to grow.”

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “NFL Network plans 13 Thursday night games in 2012”
  1. nukaten says: Feb 3, 2012 12:03 PM

Lets have football every day of the week Rog!

2. roastbeefsandwich says: Feb 3, 2012 12:03 PM

Eh, I cancelled cable. The money we saved could be spent 4 nights a month at a sports bar anyway.

3. pdmjr says: Feb 3, 2012 12:04 PM

Goodell needs to spend some money on a very shoddy production on Thursdays.

One camera angle won’t get it done, most of my friends can’t get the game anyway.

4. joetoronto says: Feb 3, 2012 12:05 PM

How about we get some better matchups?

This years Thursday schedule sucked hard.

5. jkearse2005 says: Feb 3, 2012 12:06 PM

FN TIME WARNER!!!!! My apartment complex doesnt allow us to have a dish so I’m stuck with TWC and this sucks, have to go to a buddies house every thursday to watch the games. I wish the NFL and TWC could just make a deal I don’t see how it doesn’t benefit both sides.

6. londonfletcher says: Feb 3, 2012 12:07 PM

What he says…

What he really means…

“We’re going to get more money, one way or another”

7. smellslikekuka says: Feb 3, 2012 12:07 PM

This is great news. The more games I get to watch, the easier the week goes by.

I know this is not possible, but how sweet would it be if they could have one game every night of the week, then the remainder on Sunday. That would be so awesome.

8. riderspantherssk says: Feb 3, 2012 12:11 PM

I though some anti-trust law prevented the NFL from playing on games between Tuesday and Saturday from the 2nd week in September until Thanksgiving, did this change or was that never true?

9. Rockie D Bull says: Feb 3, 2012 12:13 PM

He is correct that the market is here. Its time for the NFL to wake up and smell their own coffee too – they need to stop blacking out local games at tax payer supported stadiums. With the NFL putting all this focus on the TV package – they need to look within and see where the real hold up is with the cable companies. Once again – only the fans are suffering – not the NFL or the cable companies.

Its also way past the time to make NFL Ticket available on cable instead of just that crappy Direct TV.

10. Awol.West says: Feb 3, 2012 12:13 PM

more football the better!!

11. sirmixalotalotalot says: Feb 3, 2012 12:17 PM

It isn’t that I am not a fan of Thursday night games, I think this many is bad for the NFL in the long term.

Thursday night is a college football night aside from Holidays. The NFL had an understanding about this for a long time. To try and compete with ESPN College Football will only take away from college football and the NFL.

Once the college season ended, having Thursday night games was the signal that it’s crunch time in the NFL and all the games mean that much more. Having Thursday games from the first game of the season until the end just waters down what used to be a good thing.

Once again Goodell does something stupid and is on his way to completely ruining a once great league

12. tomtravis76 says: Feb 3, 2012 12:21 PM

The league should just start a Minor league spring league.Move the draft up to March, start the minor league schedule in April thru July(ending right before week one preseason games with a title game). Just about every city with an NFL team would support the spring league. Same ownership, rename the minor league team for more merch opportunities, resll seats at lower prices. You get a chance to make stars in the off season and they might make the big team. Don’t think it woould take away from the league.

13. g2-36a46ea9c1a618da0c96d0464d2b71d7 says: Feb 3, 2012 12:24 PM

Awesome, already looking forward to games that not only end long past working people’s bedtimes but also feature two teams playing on a short week of rest. The NFL is faaaaaantastic!

14. 4thandnone says: Feb 3, 2012 12:26 PM

This keeps up and I’ll be able to drop the Sunday ticket pretty soon !

15. fwippel says: Feb 3, 2012 12:27 PM

The part about this that stinks is that it takes more games away from the Sunday Ticket. The price goes up every year, and now the number o game decreases (while the price will continue to go up).

Let’s at least hope that the teams scheduled for these games are coming off bye weeks, so at least the players will be adequately rested.

The NFL’s own network is getting a little too big for it’s britches.

16. dd2189 says: Feb 3, 2012 12:29 PM

good i wont have to watch jersey shore with the wife

17. jicjak says: Feb 3, 2012 12:29 PM

Wow. The more football on different days the better. Can’t get enough.

18. sellout3871 says: Feb 3, 2012 12:29 PM

I love prime rib too, but if I had it every day of the week, I’d get sick of it! This is a step in the wrong direction.

19. scyankee9999 says: Feb 3, 2012 12:30 PM

Solve the problem by streaming them live on NFL .com

20. rpkllc says: Feb 3, 2012 12:33 PM

I still dont see why we cannot have 4 games on Sunday. Start a game on the east coast at 11 am est, then have games at 2:30 est and 6 est then a game on the west coast to start at 9 est.

21. ilpackerfan says: Feb 3, 2012 12:36 PM

More games I won’t have a chance at watching. Oh boy? Guess I don’t matter since I’m just an old antenna tv holdout.

22. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says: Feb 3, 2012 12:42 PM

roastbeefsandwich says:
    Feb 3, 2012 12:03 PM

what are you getting at the sports bar? water and fortune cookies?

23. 8man says: Feb 3, 2012 12:43 PM

Fantastic! I was looking for a reason to take off every Friday in the fall!

24. dodgerpacker says: Feb 3, 2012 12:44 PM

Is anyone looking forward to Jacksonville-Cleveland in prime time?

25. dodgerpacker says: Feb 3, 2012 12:47 PM

As for the four games on Sunday idea, current rules forbid kickoffs before noon local time. And do you really want gamrs gauranteed to go until after midnight?

26. Deb says: Feb 3, 2012 12:48 PM

Oh good grief! I’m probably Goodell’s biggest critic, but moving from a half to a full season of Thursday night games isn’t going to be the death of the sport.

Yes, the NFL needs to deal with cable companies. They’re not the holdouts–Goodell is. He won’t let them buy into the Sunday Ticket market so they’re not friendly negotiators on the NFL Network. But Comcast has it, so a deal can be done if he’ll throw them a bone.

That half season of games has been played for years without incident, so there’s no reason to believe expanding to a full season will endanger players.

And I don’t even know how to address the guy whining that an 8 p.m. est game is past his bedtime. Do you whine about the Sunday and Monday night games, too? :roll:

If you don’t want to watch, don’t. I’m thrilled.

27. nflovercollegefb says: Feb 3, 2012 12:48 PM

riderspantherssk says:
    Feb 3, 2012 12:11 PM
    —————————————————
    That law is for Friday and Saturday, not Thursday.

The idea was for the NFL no to take away from High School and College football, only within the last decade has College been doing games on every thursday so it’s not a long held tradition.

28. commandercornpone says: Feb 3, 2012 12:55 PM

kllc is right. treat it like college bowl days used to be. games all day.

29. marques13 says: Feb 3, 2012 12:58 PM

Geesh, took ya long enough… I love this idea but as once they get us hooked, I can see cable and sat tv providers moving the NFL Network channel into a premium package or charging extra for it ala carte.

For the first time in 7 years I didnt subscribe to the Sunday Ticket. I’ll watch as long as its on the national networks. I’m about fed up with being manipulated by the NFL, from here on out, IF ITS FREE, ITS FOR ME…

30. rarson says: Feb 3, 2012 1:02 PM

I don’t mind more Thursday night games, or really more games on days besides Sunday, since so many games get crammed onto one day and I miss a lot of them. However, that makes it tough for the teams who get the odd schedule (though I suppose they’ve managed thus far, and since it’s only one game a week, it should really only impact any given team by one game).

What I really do mind is broadcasting Thursday games on the NFL Network, and I don’t just mean because of the fact that I don’t get the channel. Their coverage flat-out sucks. I would rather watch ANY other network cover a football game.

“As for fans who don’t get NFL Network, Goodell said it’s time for the holdout cable companies to get in line or risk losing NFL fans.”

Yup, get in line, and pony up the dough for the NFL product. They know they can squeeze more money out of you. But you know what, Goodell? There’s this magical thing called the internet, that lets me watch your crappy coverage without paying for it. Maybe you should look into that alternative instead of screwing over the fans that are making you tons of money.

You know, NBC streams not only the television broadcast, but tons of extra camera angles, with much better production quality, straight from their website, for free. Maybe if NFL Network wants to be taken seriously as a network, they should take some pointers from NBC. As it stands, your product is not worth paying for.

31. 1captain1 says: Feb 3, 2012 1:05 PM

I love thursday night football!

Start the games at 7:30 and I would stay up and watch the ending instead of surfing PFT the next day!

32. silverandblack052099 says: Feb 3, 2012 1:06 PM

Oh, get over yourself Roger Goodell!

33. noquickreactionshere says: Feb 3, 2012 1:08 PM

roastbeefsandwich says:
    Feb 3, 2012 12:03 PM

_______________________________

Hmm let’s see, 4 drinks @ $3.00 each = $12
    Sandwich and side another $12
    Share an order of wings with a table of 4 = $3
    20% tip rounded up $5
    $32 per day (Very conservative number too)

$32 per day @ 4 nights per week $128 per week

$128 per week @ 4 weeks per month $512 per month

Thats a heck of a cable bill

34. gerardjac says: Feb 3, 2012 1:19 PM

Can we please start playing the SuperBowl on saturday nights??

35. cwhat32 says: Feb 3, 2012 1:19 PM

Next step should be flex scheduling starting at the beginning of the year. I don’t wanna watch a duel between Blaine Gabbert and Tavaris Jackson when a different game could take its place.

36. boomerdt says: Feb 3, 2012 1:20 PM

Forget that. I’d continue to hold out if I owned a cable company. To pay the fees the NFL wants for 4 hrs a week (and only for 13 weeks) worth of coverage… forget it. Make it a special channel. I’ll pay a $1 to order it weekly. Not worth having NFL network 352 days of the year.

37. rooney24 says: Feb 3, 2012 1:35 PM

I don’t currently get NFL Network. It is available from our cable provider, but costs extra. We already pay aroun $115 per month for TV and internet. I don’t need to pay more. If the local team is on Thursday night, one of the local stations will also carry it. If I miss most of the lame Thursday night matchups, and from what I have heard poor announcing teams, I won’t miss it.

If the NFL saturates too much, they risk losing their popularity from overexposure. I don’t think this will do it, but they need to be careful.

38. godofwine330 says: Feb 3, 2012 1:37 PM

I have NFLN, so this doesn’t affect me. However, those that have TWC this sucks big time. I almost left my apartment bldg. a few years ago. The first apartment was on a side that was facing away from the way it needed to point. They told me that they didn’t have any other apartments in the building…and I got up to leave…and they met me at the door saying, “Well whaddaya know? We just had a cancellation on the same floor the other side of the building.”

If TWC members not only protested, but took some time between now and August to start a petition in their building/area of people who would be willing to forgo cable completely and drop TWC if it doesn’t get on board with NFLN it would happen. It’s a bluff because most of us don’t want to go back to 3,5,8,19,25,43,49 & 55 (Cleveland), but it is a bluff that may work. Get old ladies in your building to sign. Go door to door in your building. It costs you nothing and it costs the people in your building and even surrounding buildings nothing. It doesn’t even matter if they watch football, just that they are willing to drop TWC if they don’t get’er done.

Companies respond to potential lost revenue, this is the only way TWC will do the right thing. The more REAL signatures the better. It’s gonna take some work, but the end result is if you start now you will have NFLN by August. This can be done nation wide, folks. Only YOU can prevent TV Blackouts.

39. rooney24 says: Feb 3, 2012 1:37 PM

@noquickreaction – Where do you get 4 nights a week? I was guessing the original post was referring to just the Thursday night games equalling close to the cable bill, but I could be wrong.

40. august589 says: Feb 3, 2012 1:41 PM

NFL Game Rewind on Friday morning is what I use. At least, the NFL posts the Thursday game nearly as soon as the game is over–unlike the Monday night game which isn’t posted until 24 hours later.

41. torturedraiderfan says: Feb 3, 2012 1:41 PM

Like several other cable providers across the country, my cable company doesn’t carry the NFL Network. I’ve called and complained, but it does no good. Just more games I can’t watch…….thanks Roger.

42. homelanddefense says: Feb 3, 2012 1:47 PM

Id have no problem with this if it was on NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, etc. But many people cant get NFL Network, or in my case I have to up my bable package by 25$ a month to get the tier that has NFLN.

43. josephcordeiro says: Feb 3, 2012 1:48 PM

Or u can simply go to the streaming websites like I do n jus watch the thursday night games on ur computer…screw payin to watch a sport on TV…

44. golfnutt67 says: Feb 3, 2012 1:55 PM

I’ve got no problem adding more thurs. games but they need to be careful scheduling the games. No cross country flights on a three day week. Keep the matchups regional and it will be great.

45. rpkllc says: Feb 3, 2012 1:57 PM

Agreed. The SB needs to be on Saturday night. As long as you have 2 weeks from the championship games, what’s the big difference? It is the biggest party night in America.

46. fwippel says: Feb 3, 2012 2:01 PM

One of the reasons that not all cable companies carry the NFL network is because the programming on the NFL’s channel is atrocious, especially during the offseason. Outside of the draft coverage, all we get is repeats of NFL Access over and over and over.

When are the people running this channel going to start using the brains God gave them and make use of the NFL Films archive footage?

Where are the replays of the classic NFL playoff battles. Outside of a VERY few select games, we never seen any. Where are all the old-classic Cowboys-Redskins matchups with Staubach vs. Kilmer, or the Steelers vs. Raiders, or Cowboys-Vikings-Rams playoff matchups? Or during the 1980s, the 49ers-Redskins-Giants matchups during playoff time? The NFL network shows none of this stuff. At least these are repeats that would be worth watching.

But NFL Access over and over and over? Uh, no.

47. falconsfan says: Feb 3, 2012 2:09 PM

Um, there’s no demand for these games when you have games like this:

Jags at Falcons (why?)

Even as a Falcons fan I didn’t really want to watch this game past the 2nd Qtr. If you want viewers go for more games featuring traditional rivalries, Cowboys/Skins, Falcons/Saints, Ravens/Steelers, etc. The schedule for these games has been awful for years.

48. jakek2 says: Feb 3, 2012 2:11 PM

Goodell is awful. First he waters down the play on the field now he is watering down what makes Sundays’ great. Oh, and those East Coast fans are really going to love watching their teams play until midnight more often. Can’t this guy just go away!!!!!

49. NakedCowboy! says: Feb 3, 2012 2:16 PM

oh no! my wife hates sat and thur games… it took me years to condition her for sundays… and monday eve…
    now they are playing any day of the week!

50. brewcrewfan54 says: Feb 3, 2012 2:21 PM

In a league that is all of the sudden so safety conscious and many players say how they hate the Thursday night games because they haven’t recovered yet this is interesting. Either way I wont be getting Direct TV. Satellite sucks.

51. unshavenjunk says: Feb 3, 2012 2:24 PM

He said 4 nights a month, not 16 and my cable bill is around $120/month without internet

noquickreactionshere says:
    Feb 3, 2012 1:08 PM
    roastbeefsandwich says:
    Feb 3, 2012 12:03 PM

_______________________________

Hmm let’s see, 4 drinks @ $3.00 each = $12
    Sandwich and side another $12
    Share an order of wings with a table of 4 = $3
    20% tip rounded up $5
    $32 per day (Very conservative number too)

$32 per day @ 4 nights per week $128 per week

$128 per week @ 4 weeks per month $512 per month

Thats a heck of a cable bill

52. cowboysfromdallas says: Feb 3, 2012 3:06 PM

Does anyone else think that NFL RedZone is what NFL Network should have been.

53. brintfatre says: Feb 3, 2012 3:14 PM

Since 13 games will be essentially on nationwide blackout can they at least do flex scheduling and have them all be the games we didn’t care to see anyway? Or make them all Cleveland and Buffalo games or something?

54. Tadd says: Feb 3, 2012 3:29 PM

What the NFL and Goodell, don’t tell you is they charge a per-subscriber fee for this channel to the Cable companies, so this is basically a huge money grab by the greedy NFL. They are trying to play the Cable companies as evil, but the reason the Cable Companies have been fighting this is because they will have to pay tens of millions to the NFL, and would have to raise rates of every subscriber to cover this “Premium” per-subscriber fee, whether the customer want the channel or not, so base rate cable prices will increase around $10-20 a month to the consumers.

Sorry NFL but you are wrong on this, I am a football fan and when I had cable I paid the extra 10 bucks for the sports package, and if Comcast makes it basic I will pay it anyway but so will millions of Customers who don’t care for your product.

I have a friend who is a high up in Comcast and explained the whole thing to me, they give Direct TV a pass on this per subscriber fee because they pay out the nose for Sunday Ticket and generate a ton of revenue for the NFL. They will not give Cable any breaks, its about $10-20 per subscriber that is given access to NFLN.

55. rcali says: Feb 3, 2012 4:10 PM

I am one of many people I know that can not get the NFL network on my cable system so stinks.

Isn’t the bigger problem the fact that we have to set our fantasy line-ups now every Wednesday night!

56. eaglesmantk says: Feb 3, 2012 4:30 PM

All you people complaining about not being able to watch these games need to realize that if they weren’t being played on Thursday night, they’d be on Sunday at 1 or 4, and not the national game. So this really has no affect on whether or not you can see it, because if it is your local team you’ll be able to watch over the air anyways and if it’s not you wouldn’t get to see it at all.

57. briang123 says: Feb 3, 2012 5:16 PM

You know what would shock me into a temporary catatonic state? If I saw the Thursday night schedule and it contained a matchup like Eagles-Cowboys, Eagles-Giants, Steelers-Ravens, Jets-Patriots, etc. (you get the point). I am quite sure it’ll be 13 weeks of Jacksonville-Cincinnati, Seattle-St. Louis, etc.

58. raidadon says: Feb 3, 2012 7:33 PM

Hey Goodell y’all need some more money? How bout pay per view Super Bowl? Ya takin the game away from the people!

59. superdave4good says: Feb 4, 2012 5:28 PM

This is a great example of the way greed & double standards are part of the NFL’s hypocrisy. Young players may not be beaten up enough for it to make a difference but at least half of the NFL’s players’ bodies need more than 4 days to recover. This will cause some of the players to not be able to participate more often & will probably lead to injuries shortening players’ careers. It’s more about extra revenue than giving us another game. The NFL is so hypocritical on player safety as this is not in their nest interest. Either heightened payer safety is top priority or not….this is another sign that revenue is more important. Ridiculous (and I’m a huge fan).