Archie Manning: Peyton “didn’t want all of this attention”

DIRECTV's Sixth Annual Celebrity Beach Bowl - Game Getty Images

NFL.com’s Jeff Darlington caught up with Archie Manning in Indianapolis on Saturday, and Archie made it clear that his son, Peyton, wanted no part of the media circus that diverted attention and recognition from his brother Eli leading up to Sunday’s Super Bowl game against the Patriots.

“This week, he didn’t want all of this attention,” said Archie. “But I guess maybe it was inevitable because they’re playing the game here (in Indy). But we’re fine. I told Peyton from the get go, ‘it’ll work out. It will work out.’

“He’s doing all that he can to get healthy. That’s all he can do. He’s had a good attitude about it all.”

Archie was asked whether he believes Peyton will be playing football in 2012.

“I feel like he will,” said Archie. “But I’m not a doctor. I know he’s going to make every effort. Because he wants to play so bad, I hope it works out.”

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Archie Manning: Peyton “didn’t want all of this attention””
  1. dumbasdirt says: Feb 4, 2012 5:49 PM

Oh I get it. Peyton gave interviews and issued statements about his medical condition because he did not want any attention this week.
    How stupid of me to think otherwise.

2. duanethomas says: Feb 4, 2012 5:50 PM

So he speaks and Peyton gets more attention. Starting Monday folks it going to be Peyton Manning all the time. Brace yourself, if you thought this site had a man crush on Favre and Tebow, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

3. hawkjuice says: Feb 4, 2012 5:53 PM

Peyton probly wouldn’t have gotten so much attention if Archie would shut it once in a while.

4. deepbacksidedig says: Feb 4, 2012 6:00 PM

BS.
    All he had to do was
    shaddap and stay home.

Great pic!
    PFTs short form answer to the claim.

He looks really unhappy answering questions there eh?
    Right.
    ************

I just wish Eli would pop off about it.
    Could have been fun….

If anyone asks me one more time about my #@4** brother…
    All my life, all I ever heard, peyton this peyton that..
    Why can’t you be more like your brother…

5. bearsstillsuck says: Feb 4, 2012 6:05 PM

Brett Favre didn’t either.

6. yankeemofo says: Feb 4, 2012 6:11 PM

Shouldn’t loosen the hinge on the that jaw then.

7. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 4, 2012 6:13 PM

I thought Peyton was in his mid 30’s. Why are we hearing from
    his dad?

8. oscojoe says: Feb 4, 2012 6:13 PM

Yea right Dad!

9. justbhouse2 says: Feb 4, 2012 6:19 PM

C’mon Peyton. You’re starting to show the Farve gene; its all about you. You’re supposed to be better than that. I guess you’re really not above the spoiled athlete syndrome.
    If you didn’t want the attention, then why release the statements.

10. kissbillsrings says: Feb 4, 2012 6:19 PM

What attention????
    Is he even relavent anymore???

I’v been focused on the Pats & the Superbowl, not this MEDIA DARLING….

11. rculross7 says: Feb 4, 2012 6:21 PM

Players that don’t want attention don’t have their doctors release statements that they are cleared to resume their career.

12. orf14fire says: Feb 4, 2012 6:27 PM

Come to the redskins Manning; you will get all the attention you want. Jb from norfolk

13. tim1999 says: Feb 4, 2012 6:29 PM

Peyton has shown the world just what a self absorbed jerk he is. He couldn’t even let his own brother have the spotlight this week.
    Is that name Peyton Favre or is it Brett Manning??

14. thejuddstir says: Feb 4, 2012 6:31 PM

I wonder if Eli would prefer that “dad” speak for him too. You’re a great QB Peyton, but it’s time to cut the apron strings to dad.

15. thefiesty1 says: Feb 4, 2012 6:37 PM

Just how many championship games did Archie participate in? I think Peyton and Eli can speak for themselves from experience.

16. rexachss says: Feb 4, 2012 6:43 PM

How could I be so stupid….when I said Archie wasn’t going to let Peyton go to the Jets on an earlier forum it got deleted……I didn’t know Archie was the moderator for this site and had breaking news.

17. rayjayjohnsonjr says: Feb 4, 2012 6:43 PM

And Archie wants it clear that he doesn’t want any attention either.

18. chatham10 says: Feb 4, 2012 6:45 PM

I respect Peyton but he brought this on himself. I will never believe that the Manning family does not want the attention because they are always available for reporters and TV people.

19. blacnsilvr says: Feb 4, 2012 6:46 PM

My goodness Archie, will u please stop speaking for your boys?!?!?!?! Signed, Eli and Peyton

20. stevenfbrackett says: Feb 4, 2012 6:48 PM

As everyone else is saying – BS.

If he truly wasn’t after the attention he wouldn’t be issuing press releases and calling up reporters. All he would be saying when reporters asked him anything is, “I’m just here to support my brother and this great city. It’s going to be a great Superbowl.”

I understand that his main intention, in his mind at least, is to keep the pressure on Irsay to let him play and to make Irsay look bad. I wonder if he has any idea at all how bad he is making himself look.

If I were Eli, I would be torn between ‘thanks for taking some of the attention off me so I can concentrate on the game’ and ‘Man, Peyton, can’t you just let me have my moment without stepping all over it?’

21. insider7 says: Feb 4, 2012 6:51 PM

No, once again, it was YOU, Archie, that wanted all this attention. Shut up, you donkey!

22. jesse1834 says: Feb 4, 2012 6:54 PM

Shut up Archie!! Peyton can speak for himself. He doesn’t need a “never was” QB to answer for him.

23. thepatriotsaregay says: Feb 4, 2012 6:56 PM

boo freaking hoo! He famous, deal with it…..

24. greysolon says: Feb 4, 2012 7:02 PM

Well said, Steven f.b.

I half expect to see Peyton parachute onto the middle of the field before gametime, walk up to Bob Costas for a pre-arranged interview and say “I didn’t want all this attention, but since you asked…”

25. 2272tony says: Feb 4, 2012 7:03 PM

Evan Silva asked the question Archie just answered. You all would think that Archie ran over and asked Evan, “Hey Evan, I want to talk about Payton and make sure Eli gets a little less press.” Remimber the PRESS is driving this story just as they do everything! They MAKE the news. You that think Payton or Archie is driving this story are nuts. Its the media!!!!!!!

26. scomibord says: Feb 4, 2012 7:17 PM

As a Saints fan, I appreciate Archie, but he has turned into a crochety old coot ever since Eli came out in the draft!

27. mjkelly77 says: Feb 4, 2012 7:25 PM

“Archie Manning: Peyton “didn’t want all of this attention” ”

All he wanted was another $28 million for sitting on his a$$.

28. swcoach says: Feb 4, 2012 7:26 PM

Archie really needs to just shut up… I think your sons are grown men now, they can speak for themselves.

29. mjkelly77 says: Feb 4, 2012 7:29 PM

Sheeesh. Swamp people.

30. dienavinjohnson says: Feb 4, 2012 7:44 PM

In the 2004 playoffs Archie Manning was sitting nearby us in the stands. After Ty Law picked Peyton for the third time that day I shouted at Peyton’s Dad, “Hey Archie, you were a loser and your son is a loser!” He got up and left. What a puzzy.

I felt a little bit bad the next day after I had sobered up. But over the years, I have felt less and less bad. To hell with Archie and Peyton Manning. I can’t believe that they’re putting Peyton’s contract ahead of Eli’s moment of glory. I guess that’s what losers do. (I don’t think Eli is a loser…he must get that from his Mom.)

31. granadafan says: Feb 4, 2012 7:50 PM

Archie sure loves the media attention though. All he has to do is say no comment and walk away. Instead Archie practically shoves everyone out of the way to get his mug in front of the camera.

32. jimmygrahamchrisivory says: Feb 4, 2012 7:51 PM

Looks like Peyton’s hairline is running away from his head or his head just keeps getting bigger as he gets older.

33. vandalay1 says: Feb 4, 2012 7:53 PM

2272anthony – you’re about as sharp as a tack sir, nothing gets by you. hOWEVER, while it is true that the media drives and makes the news, if Peyton really wanted no part of it he would have stayed FAR away from all media this week. He wasn’t playing so it’s not as if he was obligated to stick his stupid head out in front of every camera this week. Never mind the fact that he was in the sideline every fricken Sunday this year! He didnt have to release any statements and his dad sure as hell didn’t have to answer any questions!

34. marcuswelby70 says: Feb 4, 2012 8:12 PM

If he/you didn’t want the attention then its simple. Peyton/Archie just say no comment…period!

35. backindasaddle says: Feb 4, 2012 8:49 PM

Archie…. stop it please. That is a completely disingenuous load of BS. You and Peyton have been trying to use and manipulate the media and skew public perception just as much as Irsay. If Peyton…or you…”didn’t want all this attention”… you would have just shut up and said nothing. Instead, here you and Peyton are spewing off to the media. You and Peyton are trying to manipulate the situation to maximize how much more money you can stuff in your pockets. I don’t fault you for this, but please…. don’t be disingenuous and try to put forth a charade to pretend it’s something else.

36. noahbird says: Feb 4, 2012 8:49 PM

Archie doesn’t sound too optimistic.

37. eightysixisback says: Feb 4, 2012 8:51 PM

wow! Maybe peyton hasn’t handled his situation in the best possible way but why so much hate from everyone? He is one of the best QBs of all time, he doesn’t get into trouble, he has been humble and has been a total professional his whole career. Give the guy a break. I didn’t realize how many people there are out there that are perfect. I wonder how many of those same people would look perfect if every move they made was on tv for the world to see and everything they said or did was taken out of context by sportswriters and reporters looking for anything they can find to create controversy.

38. hooterdawg says: Feb 4, 2012 10:01 PM

It’s crap that the media didn’t interview Archie earlier on this soap opera. Like maybe two weeks ago. How can Archie possibly support the Peyton Circus when his other son Eli is playing in the SuperBowl? It’s disrespectful and embarrassing. If Eli loses the SB. the media will be back at him asking whether Peyton was a distraction.

39. 1historian says: Feb 4, 2012 10:43 PM

I would remind all you Pats haters that in 2008 – the season that Brady missed because of his injury – he stayed away from the games even though he could have been there, for that reason – he didn’t want it to be a circus which he knew it would be if he were there on the sidelines.

Class tells – you either got it or you don’t.

40. jobo50 says: Feb 4, 2012 11:38 PM

Peyton is an egomaniac!! He has more money than God. Why in the hell would he want to put himself at risk to be crippled just to prove he is who he is? I’m an Eagle fan and i have the utmost respect for Eli cause he keeps his mouth shut unlike his big brother and father.I hope the rumor is true that Mr Egomaniac is going to go to the Redskins because with that offensive line they have he will not last to the 2nd game.. Hope to see you in the NFL east Peyton.

41. buzzbissinger says: Feb 5, 2012 12:08 AM

…just another installment of, Half-truths, deception and down right bull…

42. bospat says: Feb 5, 2012 12:44 AM

He’s never been to pass up a good commercial endorsement …Bring home the hardware Tom in the house built cutting meat and slinging Oreos and sonys!

43. CKL says: Feb 5, 2012 1:58 AM

eightysixisback says:
    Feb 4, 2012 8:51 PM
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    Agree that nobody’s perfect and everyone is entitled to a mulligan here and there if their overall behavior warrants it. But PM is very media savvy. He majored in communications in college and gave lots of speeches. He knows EXACTLY what he’s doing.

44. cardinal11 says: Feb 5, 2012 5:05 AM

I believe a lot are looking at this wrong. Payton did this for the business aspect not the self indulging fame. He does not have a track record to conclude this. He is a business man who know how to make money whether it with endorsements or his football contract. This is the perfect time to put the media pressure back on the colts owner and try to get him to pay him his 23 million roster bonus.