Martin and Parcells hope to become Hall of Famers together

parcellscurtismartin AP

It’s a slow day in Indianapolis for many of the assembled media, but the 44 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee are busily working on deciding which four to seven people will be enshrined in Canton, a decision that will be announced this afternoon.

For two of the 17 finalists, Curtis Martin and Bill Parcells, it would be extra sweet to be enshrined together.

“As far as my football career, I consider him my father figure and my mentor,” Martin told the New York Daily News. “If it was not for Bill Parcells, my career wouldn’t be even half of what it was and I’m not saying that modestly. I’m not nervous at all. The exciting part of it for me is the possibility of going in with Bill. If I could guarantee that Bill would make it and that meant that I couldn’t make it, I would make that sacrifice. That’s how much he’s meant to me.”

Parcells drafted Martin in New England in 1995, and when Martin had his first 100-yard game, Parcells made a typical Parcells comment to the press: “Don’t go putting him in Canton yet.”

But over time Parcells made no secret of the fact that Martin was one of his all-time favorite players. A year after Parcells left the Patriots for the Jets, he gave up first- and third-round picks to acquire Martin and sign him to a big contract. Now it may be time to put Martin in Canton, and it may be time for Parcells to go in with him.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Martin and Parcells hope to become Hall of Famers together”
  1. grpatriot says: Feb 4, 2012 11:32 AM

Hope both exPatriots get in………Martin was a tough RB……..Bill’s tree and success speaks for itself!

2. seahawksfan25 says: Feb 4, 2012 11:42 AM

They both deserve it. I don’t see no harm in it.

3. texmexdeux says: Feb 4, 2012 11:43 AM

Curtis Martin was one of the coolest and classiest players I’ve seen in 40 years of watching football. A warrior and a true leader. 10 straight seasons over 1,000 yards. A guy you wanted on your team.

Best of luck, today, Curtis.

4. benh999 says: Feb 4, 2012 11:56 AM

Martin yes, Tuna no.

5. johntonioholmes says: Feb 4, 2012 12:01 PM

Never liked the teams that Martin played for, but the guy was a fantastic running back.

6. keyshawn22 says: Feb 4, 2012 12:10 PM

Curtis and Bill belong in the hall of fame no questions asked.

7. xrateplaya says: Feb 4, 2012 12:17 PM

He was not a good running back just ur average rb.. 1000 yds is nothing in 16 game season

8. dabears62 says: Feb 4, 2012 12:20 PM

OMG if Chris Carter does not get in, we will hear him and his TV buddies whine about it for the next two weeks.

9. steviemo says: Feb 4, 2012 12:23 PM

Curtis Martin, HOF? I never saw him that way but someone give me his resume and reasons he’s HOF-worthy. I’m willing to listen.

10. godofwine330 says: Feb 4, 2012 12:26 PM

Martin is a great player destined for Canton, and he is a stand-up guy, too. Tuna has built multiple teams via his leadership. Every team he has coached has become a better, more consistent team (Giants, New England, NYJ, Cowboys-Miami doesn’t count because he didn’t coach them). Each of those teams were much better off than they were before he came. He should be in as well.

11. dabkg says: Feb 4, 2012 12:31 PM

I dont know how long Martin has been eligible, but I know this isn’t his first year. So Martin is a possibility. I’d be very surprised if Tuna gets in his 1st year of eligibility – even with this only being technically his 1st year. The selection committee go deep in reviewing every pick. And I’m sure it will stick out that Parcells was never successful with a football team when he didn’t have Belichick with him. While the Cowboys made 2 playoff appearances in his 4 years there the team was widely considered to have failed to capitalize on their full potential.

12. cliverush says: Feb 4, 2012 12:34 PM

Martin deserves this above all. Parcells should have to wait. The low life move he pulled on the Patriots, players and owner, should be brought into consideration. He negotiated with the RATS, excuse me, the jets, during Super Bowl week. The team lost the SB game because of special team play. Want to guess who coached the ST. He then abandoned the team after the game. What a complete jerk. Then he tried to discredit Bob Kraft through his stooge in the media, Will Mc Donough. Will was a guy who thought the biggest murdering gangster in Boston was a swell guy.

13. oscojoe says: Feb 4, 2012 12:42 PM

The fact they both were at one time part of the Patriots organization makes them HOF worthy.

The down side thou is they were in the Yet’s organization.

Oh well some times you have to take the good with the Bad.

Martin is a class guy!!!

14. nyjalleffingday says: Feb 4, 2012 12:44 PM

And they both throughly deserve it. I’ll always have a soft spot for the Testaverde/Martin/Chrebet Jet teams.

15. steelbreeze676 says: Feb 4, 2012 12:47 PM

Its too bad there isnt a competing hall of fame for parcells to leave this one for in two years.

16. maxvv says: Feb 4, 2012 1:01 PM

Every kid should have a football hero, and Curtis Martin was mine. If he gets in, I’m checking into a Canton hotel room this August.

17. gacoltfan says: Feb 4, 2012 1:01 PM

Martin was solid, but not great. Never once in his career was he thought of as one of the top 3-4 RB in the game. To make the Hall shouldn’t you be near the top of the list for at least a few years.

18. jayteem says: Feb 4, 2012 1:02 PM

As a Packers fan I have great respect for both of them and hope they go in together.

19. phillyphever says: Feb 4, 2012 1:06 PM

Sorry Martin, Bettis gets in before you. Maybe in 2014 (no chance in hell they both get in next year with Strahan, Sapp, Odgen and Allen on the ballot) you and Parcells get in together.

My ballot is Bettis, Shields, Roaf, Carter, Eddie DeBartolo Jr, and Butler (senior nominee).

20. berniemadoffsides says: Feb 4, 2012 1:28 PM

14,000+ yards, 90 TD’s, almost 1,700 yards at age 31 to win league rushing title (oldest ever), 4th all-time rushing leader out of thousands and thousands of NFL RB’s, 5-time Pro Bowler.. yeah, I’d say he’s HOF-worthy.

21. berniemadoffsides says: Feb 4, 2012 1:41 PM

10 straight seasons of 1100+ yards, by the way.

And 100 total TD’s.

22. scoongile says: Feb 4, 2012 1:48 PM

If it wasn’t for wide right, parcels would be nothing, after that SB, he never finished one job he went too. Phoney!!!!

23. gacoltfan says: Feb 4, 2012 2:16 PM

He was consistent and had longevity. To some that may make him HOF worthy. I just don’t remember him ever being thought of as dominant. He was never 1st team all pro, and only 2 times 2nd team.

Looking at his career stats, he certainly looks HOF worthy, but if you look at individual seasons he never (maybe 1) had a HOF type year.

24. ampats says: Feb 4, 2012 2:18 PM

As a Patriots fan I say they both deserve to get in.

Much to my dismay Curtis Martin was one of the top RB’s every season he played and should go in as a jet. He was always trouble even though I was pissed when Parcells snookered the Pats and Bobby Grier with the offer sheet that NE could not match.

I did not like the way Parcell’s left the Patriots negotiating his exit while coaching NE in the SB and then not flying back with the team but no one can take away his accomplishments as a HC in the NFL .

Miami fans may disagree but when Parcells saw the clown show new ownership in Miami he knew it was time to get out!

25. nightrain42 says: Feb 4, 2012 2:29 PM

Bettis, Dawson, carter, Martin, and one from the senior. Dawson won’t get in tho, center, plus Bettis will take away votes, plus general Steeler bias in the hall.

26. nesuperfan says: Feb 4, 2012 2:49 PM

ampats says:Feb 4, 2012 2:18 PM

As a Patriots fan I say they both deserve to get in.

__________________________________

ampats, unlike baseball, you don’t go in as anything specifically if I recall correctly. You get a bust, without specific team information. I am sure that the writeup mentions any significant teams, but I have never been near the HOF to visit.

27. metitometin says: Feb 4, 2012 3:50 PM

As a Patriots fan, I despise both of them. Parcells ruined the Patriots-Packers Superbowl by making himself the bigger story and distracting from the team. He let it be known BEFORE the game that he wasn’t going to be back with the Patriots because they weren’t going to let him ‘shop for the groceries’. What an egomaniac. Then he wouldn’t even go back on the team plane after the game. As for Curtis Martin, I will never forgive him for leaving the Patriots high and dry and going to play with his ‘daddy’, Bill Parcells in New York. It was a disgrace the way he left the Patriots. Both of them can go to hell.

28. sasquash20 says: Feb 4, 2012 4:19 PM

Curtis Martin was an absolute stud running back. Very underrated in my opinion.

Only had one season when his total yards from scrimmage was under 1,400 yards, and that was his last season. The man has topped 1,400 rushing yards in a season 4 times. He had at least 1,200 yards 7 times. And at least 1,100 yards 9 times, and one of the 11 years he missed 1,100 he had 1,094 yards rushing. A total of 14,101 yards rushing on 3518 carries for 4 yards a carry. He had 484 receptions for another 3,329 yards. Over 17,430 total yards from scrimmage, and 100 TDs, he also had 2 TD passes on top of that. The only knock is he has 29 fumbles, 17 of which came in his first 4 years. The 7 seasons after that he never had more then 2 fumbles a season. First ballot HOFer!

Jerome Bettis should take a back seat to Martin. Martin was the better player. Bettis had a great career and should be a HOFer some day but Martin was hands down the better player and should go in first. Bettis had 13,662 yards on the ground in 13 seasons. Less then Martin and with 2 extra seasons. Bettis only had only 200 receptions for just under 1500 total yards. Martin doubled that with 2 less seasons of play. Bettis has an impressive 15,111 total yards from scrimmage, but again over 2,000 yards less then Martin. Bettis scored 94 TDs, again less then Martin with 2 more seasons. Bettis also had a lot more fumbles then Martin with 41. I’m not saying Bettis shouldn’t be in the HOF, he should be in just after Martin gets in.

29. deepbacksidedig says: Feb 4, 2012 4:22 PM

Bad memories from the pre-sweetness and light
    Pat fan era.

Still irked at Coach for announcing his departure the
    week before the SB.
    Cut the heart out of us, and the team.

DiaF, S\oB.

Plus, the one HoF RB in Pat history, taken, along with some other folks, and our hearts?
    The start of real-time Jet hate.

Okay, I am good now.
    Almost.
    Nah. Never forget, baby. Never.
    ******************

Both should get in, 1st ballot.
    Parcells is a no-brainer.
    If he don’t get in, something is broken.

Curtis may have to wait, but deserves it.
    Classy kid, made a mistake leaving Boston dude,
    you goofed.
    You were mislead, i get it.
    No hard feelings, kid.

30. trollaikman8 says: Feb 4, 2012 5:00 PM

I never liked the teams he played for, but Martin was always elite. That kind of toughness, versatility and skill doesn’t come around often.
    He carried teams.

31. boyshole25 says: Feb 4, 2012 5:20 PM

i remember hearing a story about a kid that sent curtis martin a birthday invite to his party during the middle of the season. the party came around and in walks curtis martin,wasnt a publicity stunt either.(See Ochostinko) im sure if that kid were voting, he’d be in.class act all day

32. n2thaizzo says: Feb 4, 2012 5:22 PM

3,518 career rushing attempts (3rd all-time)
    14,101 career rushing yards (4th all-time)
    17,430 career yards from scrimmage (7th all-time)
    90 career rushing touchdowns (12th all-time)
    100 career rushing/receiving touchdowns (19th all-time)
    119 consecutive regular season starts (3rd all-time)[13][14]
    Oldest player to win a rushing title (age 31) in 2004

Still not HOF worthy in my eyes though…