Indianapolis hospitality

Masterpiece

The football world is about to get hectic over the next 36 hours. While there are a few minutes to spare this Saturday evening, I wanted to say thanks to the city of Indianapolis for a great week.

The city and Super Bowl planners went above and beyond putting on a great show. It’s easily been the smoothest of the five Super Bowls which I’ve attended. The town had a ton of energy, and it’s set up perfectly for a week like this.

The hospitality went beyond officially sanctioned events. Indy’s own Jason Whitlock hosted all comers for some complimentary barbecue at his father’s Masterpiece Lounge bar on Saturday, located far beyond where Super Bowl shuttles travel.

Whitlock made sure to tell everyone white people were welcome, so MDS, Mrs. MDS, and myself made our way across town. Whitlock greeted me by saying he thought I was MDS’ kid. It was almost like Florio was there.

(Florio was too busy at rehearsal for the “Super Bowl Pregame show on NBC.” Weak excuse.)

Whitlock’s dad apparently only cooks a handful of times every year, but he made some of the best ribs I’ve ever tasted. It put a personal touch on this exhausting, fun week building up to the game.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we’re back at the Masterpiece Lounge during another Super Bowl week sometime down the road.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Indianapolis hospitality”
  1. irishking says: Feb 4, 2012 8:33 PM

Those ribs sound delicious. Where is the Masterpiece Lounge bar?

2. irishking says: Feb 4, 2012 8:54 PM

3748 N. Sherman. That is in an area I do not feel comfortable venturing into.

3. croghan1919 says: Feb 4, 2012 9:37 PM

Ya, 38th and Sherman isn’t the best part of town, but give props to Jason and his Dad for being gracious hosts.
    And props to the author, Gregg for the exposure that can change things for the better.

4. lbijake says: Feb 4, 2012 10:26 PM

Whitlock is still a tool.

5. Deb says: Feb 4, 2012 10:43 PM

Although I’d love to have been at those we won, the Super Bowl’s too much hoopla and not enough football for me. Congrats on this BBQ story, Gregg, because it’s the first time I’ve ever been really envious that I wasn’t at the party. Hey to Whitlock!

6. indycolt45 says: Feb 4, 2012 10:55 PM

Come on back some time. We’ll be the same, if not better.

7. yevrag3535 says: Feb 4, 2012 11:55 PM

Indianapolis as a place – sucks.

8. slobberknockered says: Feb 5, 2012 1:26 AM

3748 N. Sherman is NOT a bad area. Only a Nazi would say it is. Indy does not have any “bad” areas.

9. slobberknockered says: Feb 5, 2012 1:31 AM

In Indy you have to watch out in the “burbs”- 3 robbed at gunpoint outside Castleton hotel | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com http://indy.st/zGu3Rj

10. 1historian says: Feb 5, 2012 7:33 AM

indycolt45 – will you still welcome me if I am wearing my SBXLVI Pats’ victory t-shirt (along with matching ballcap?)

11. govtminion says: Feb 5, 2012 8:31 AM

I travel to Indy once a year for business, usually in August- it’s a great city, I’ve never had a bad experience being there. Some damned good food to be found, friendly people (a culture shock, living in D.C. as I do!), what’s not to like?

Glad the NFL picked a good place for the game this year.

12. ranoversquarells says: Feb 5, 2012 8:49 AM

Visited Indy a few years ago which became the infamous “4th & 2″ game. Never did I expect the type of hospitality I received pre and post game. So after reading this it’s hardly surprising.

13. pack0314 says: Feb 5, 2012 11:31 AM

Decent BBQ in Indy, who knew? As far as BBQ in Indiana is concerned, Q-L’s in Muncie is where it’s at. Worthy of a trip, and I’ve traveled the country in search of BBQ. For reference, I lived near Lockhart, TX had some of the best (City Market in Luling comes to mind.)

14. irishking says: Feb 5, 2012 11:43 AM

I believe there is an outstanding Soul Food place at around 2200 N. College..the Country Kitchen.

15. irishking says: Feb 5, 2012 11:53 AM

It is at 1831 N. College..soul food, fried chicken and finger lickin good ribs. The Colts reportedly have meetings there.