Channing Crowder wants to play for the Falcons

Miami Dolphins 2010 Headshots Getty Images

D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Falcons have “been in touch” with former Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder, who is planning an NFL comeback in 2012.

The Crowder-Falcons link makes sense because Atlanta just hired Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator. Nolan oversaw the Dolphins’ defense for the past two seasons. Crowder was a starting inside linebacker for Miami in 2010.

“I’d love to play in Atlanta,” Crowder confirmed. “Coach Nolan is my guy. Actually, when he got the job in Atlanta he [sent] me a text. Coach Nolan is a first-class guy.

“I told him if he needs a better linebacker, let me know,” Crowder added. “He texted me back and said, ‘I’ll keep in touch.'”

The Falcons are expected to try to re-sign incumbent starting middle linebacker Curtis Lofton, who is a free agent. Crowder has experience as a 4-3 starting outside linebacker, too, however, and could team with Lofton inside should Nolan implement 3-4 looks into Atlanta’s defense.

Crowder is still only 28 years old, and his body should be fresh after sitting out last season. He’s going to be a cost-effective pickup for some team.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
22 Responses to “Channing Crowder wants to play for the Falcons”
  1. jakek2 says: Feb 6, 2012 11:59 AM

Crowder? The SB was less than 12 hours ago. You can’t possibly be out of SB stories already?

2. britishraven says: Feb 6, 2012 11:59 AM

Why would anyone want him on their team?

An average (at best) LB who talks and talks and talks and doesn’t back any of it up on the field

3. rayvens says: Feb 6, 2012 12:01 PM

#overrated.com!

4. nyjetssuck says: Feb 6, 2012 12:01 PM

“I told him if he needs a better linebacker, let me know,” Crowder added. “He texted me back and said, ‘I’ll keep in touch.’…”

In other words: Go FK yourself Channing you loud talking, no tackling POS.

5. ravensfan4life52 says: Feb 6, 2012 12:06 PM

The Falcons want to know who Channing Crowder is.

6. breadslicer says: Feb 6, 2012 12:09 PM

He would certainly add some ‘character’ to an almost too prim and proper team.

7. jmagnet28 says: Feb 6, 2012 12:09 PM

And I want to play for the Jets. What’s your point?

8. twickerson says: Feb 6, 2012 12:09 PM

I’d imagine most teams in the NFC South are hoping Atlanta picks him up. Make a even easier to beat the Falcons.

9. dawkinseffect says: Feb 6, 2012 12:13 PM

come to philly, we need a linebacker..heck we might even throw you a parade just for signing

10. rasalas says: Feb 6, 2012 12:20 PM

Crowder never put up great personal stats, but he definitely was instrumental as the “quarterback” of the Dolphins’ defense when he was on the field, not Karlos Dansby. He called the coverages (sent in by the coaches) and changed them on the fly, and was known for his film study. In general, the Dolphins’ D played better with him on the field. Even Dansby called Crowder the “centerpiece” of the Dolphins’ defense. That’s why Nolan wants him.

11. suprinelolskins says: Feb 6, 2012 12:32 PM

Has more highlights off the field than on it…

12. mlenenski says: Feb 6, 2012 12:56 PM

If this is Mike Nolan’s “secret weapon”, then the Falcons’s might as well “text” TO and Tiki Barber to help jump start the offense before somebody else hears they are available too!

13. cantonbound13 says: Feb 6, 2012 1:06 PM

I don’t think Crowder earned the right to pick where he’ll play next year. He should be thrilled a team would be interested.

14. tortowl says: Feb 6, 2012 2:12 PM

2 words – Arena Football
    Actually make it 4 words – Arena Football back up…

15. fittytuckin says: Feb 6, 2012 2:18 PM

I’m not sure there is a big market for 2 down run stoppers.

16. dgrowe213 says: Feb 6, 2012 2:20 PM

The Falcons need to trade White for draft picks, make Julio the #1 WR, and try to sign a #2 in the offseason (TO, Manningham, Ocho)

Abraham is old, Gonzalez is old, Turner has lost a step, their Oline regressed this year, and a “bend dont break” defense doesnt win Super Bowls.

Buy hey, at least we’re in touch with Crowder….

17. annes22 says: Feb 6, 2012 2:40 PM

I can’t believe Nolan has been in touch with Channing. He was not very good at all when he was with the Dolphins. Terrible replacement for Zac Thomas. I hoped they would let him go a year before they did, he was awful his last year.
    Stay off the radio too, he sucks at that also.
    Thank god no one on the Dolphins wants him.
    Good luck Atlanta., you might have to stop him
    yacking all the time.

18. ajgreenhof says: Feb 6, 2012 2:47 PM

I hate this guy. The fact that he actually thinks he can suggest who he plays for is ridiculous.

19. cantonbound13 says: Feb 6, 2012 3:03 PM

I’d like to play QB for the Cowboys & date supermodels.

20. 69finfan says: Feb 6, 2012 3:08 PM

Then Mike Nolan texted Channing that he was in fact in need of a better linebacker and asked Channing if he knew where he could find one.

21. honkerdawg says: Feb 6, 2012 6:05 PM

Loser! Why would Atlanta want him?

22. sclazo says: Feb 7, 2012 3:52 AM

Don’t get him Atlanta he is trash. Always hurt or underperformed. Talks trash and never backs it up. Gives opposing teams bulletin board material with his mouth.