Eli Manning says the Giants’ future is bright

AP

At his Super Bowl MVP press conference, Giants quarterback Eli Manning hinted that he doesn’t think this will be the last time he and the Giants win a championship.

Manning said he thinks the nucleus of this team can stay together for years and get back to the Super Bowl.

“I’m excited about a number of young guys who stepped up this season,” Manning said. “Victor Cruz has been a great story, Jake Ballard, some of these guys have played great football and made great plays for us this year.”

The key to that will be Manning himself, who at age 31 likely has several more good years left in him and has now joined Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana and Tom Brady as the only winners of multiple Super Bowl MVP awards. But Manning was more interested in talking up his teammates, especially Mario Manningham for his sideline catch that will be celebrated on NFL Films for decades to come.

“I tried to put it where he would catch it or nobody would, and he made a great catch,” Manning said. “It’s something you work on all the time down the sideline, and we feel like our receivers have a great ability to make those plays.”

Manning was asked about whether he now has bragging rights over his big brother Peyton because he has one more Super Bowl ring, but Manning brushed that aside.

Manning said he and Peyton talked after the game but that it was more an Xs-and-Os film session than an exchange of brotherly love.

“I got to be with Peyton a little bit and he was just proud of me, he was proud of the team,” Manning said. “A quarterback like Peyton, he knows the game well and he asked questions that a lot of people wouldn’t ask. The touchdown pass to Victor Cruz, he asked me if I saw that middle linebacker.”

We don’t know what Peyton’s future holds, but this morning in Indianapolis, Eli’s future looks bright.

59 responses to “Eli Manning says the Giants’ future is bright

1. Can’t wait for them to be around .500 next season, at some point, and we will start seeing stories on here about Coughlin’s job in jeopardy, them missing the playoffs, etc.

2. Big Ben also has won two. But yes, I agree with him. The Giants will great as long as Manning is their quarterback. I see Giants, Packers/Manning, Rodgers as the NFLs next big rivalry and I love it.

3. eli is the key. as long as he’s there the giants could go on a run at any time. it also doesnt hurt that they have one of the best GM’s in the game. eli probably has about 5-6 quality years left….id be thrilled with one more lombardi.

4. “Can’t wait for them to be around .500 next season, at some point, and we will start seeing stories on here about Coughlin’s job in jeopardy, them missing the playoffs, etc.”

I hope you’re right. That’s when they play their best. That’s been good for two Super Bowls in four years. If that’s what it takes to see them win the Lombardi, I say let it happen every year!

5. This has been the craziest years I’ve seen in a long time. From losing big names to free agency to having more than a dozen players on IR to a losing streak in the middle of the year that looked devastating to now being crowned Super bowl champions.

If Eli can continue to put up numbers like he did this year and the Giants can keep a lot of their players and avoid a year of devastating injuries, they can definitely contend again next year.

I never ever expected this in the beginning of the year and even towards the end, but I am so glad I was wrong.

6. Ugh, I hate sounding like sour grapes, but I’m wholly unimpressed at the whole thing. Both teams played like doody last night, and it’s my personal opinion that the best teams in the league watched the SB on TV last night, the Giants and Patriots are not the best teams the NFL can offer.

7. I don’t know — Rex Ryan adamantly insists that the Giants are now the “little brother” in the city of New York. (lol)

8. Giants season this year seems like the same scenario as the Packers last season: Barely make the playoffs after getting hot at the end of the season, and then blow past everyone in the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.

So we’ll see if next season, the Giants look unstoppable all season only to lose early in the playoffs.

9. The Giants defense is brutal, they beat up their opponents early in the game and then wear them down. They come alive in the fourth quarter.

10. Here we go again…last year the Packers were going to be a dynasty because of their youth and all the injuries they had, they were going to win it all again, blah, blah, blah.

If Eli is going to run his mouth now that he’s had success, I would say I like him better when he was the bumbling hick little brother of Peyton.

11. Grats to Eli and Coughlin. Well deserved.

But Boo to all you New York fans. This is now the second time you clowns have wanted Coughlin and/or Manning ran out of town, and now the second time they’ve won a Super Bowl despite that. Awful, awful fans.

12. cakemixa says: Feb 6, 2012 9:21 AM

—-

Mouthwash will help to eliminate that bitter taste in your mouth, kid

13. I still cannot fathom people’s hatred for this guy. Quick to embrace the Michael Vicks of the world, but to knock on a good guy who is humble and plays the game the right way? I can only assume that it’s jealousy (sorry, SD, Philly, and DC fans).

Giants fans are happy we have Eli on our side. When the game got into the 4th Quarter and it was close, I knew he would come through, just like he has all season. Proud to be a Giants fan.

14. up yours eli! we wait in joyful hope for your teams demise. ha Wanna go to sleep fast tonight guys? run joe buck interviewing eli! ha, snoozer! Good lord, now we have to wait 7 months for this to start up again. dang. Cali, Fla…enjoy your weather, we here in MN have 2 more months of this crap winter and it is 20 degrees above normal with no snow. That’s the best we get here. UH!

15. Rex is right. Everyone is little compared to him.

*****************

16. I’m not a fan of the Giants at all, but I could not agree more with Eli.

They will be competitive for many years to come for many reasons: a young corp of great receivers; an effective running game; a QB who is in complete control of the system; an amazing D-Line which is productive even with older guys; a GM making the right picks in the draft and FA; a hard nosed coach who has completely won over the locker room in recent years; and most importantly a team that not only believes they can win, but also backs up their beliefs on the field (unlike the Jets).

This team has a good formula for success, and their chances will only improve if they can stay healthy.

17. It’s amazing what has become of the interception machine of a couple of years ago. Elite QB? In the TOP 5 of the league? Yes, yes, and then some. With his incredible third down percentage, you can basically run on the first two downs if you want to, every drive. No other team can do that.

18. Yeah, Paulieorkid…rex is a fat boy windbag. I would be a jets fan non the less if i was back in new city, ny. I miss you dan and joey Z. At least eli was focused and threw the ball well. I knew 2 weeks ago they would win. They were on a roll and with gronkoski’s ankle…coughlin’s job is good for 2 more years at least, then he will be 67. ha

19. Cakemixa,
    I feel sorry for people like you. So much hate in your heart. Your sad. Even if they do go .500 next year that doesn’t change the fact they are world champions right now. It was a great accomplishment even when trolley like you feel the need to piss all over it.

20. From a Die Hard Dallas Cowboy Fan: Congratulations to the Giants organization!
    Hats off to Eli and to his recievers.
    Don’t think I’ve ever seen a group of Wide Recievers that can catch balls quite like this group. Also hats off to that vicious pash rushing defensive line…..

21. I love how the non-Giants fan is the first one to post a comment. You ever think it may just be a ploy for them to actually motivate them to perform better? Bottom line, whatever Coughlin is doing, however the team is playing, they are the Super Bowl Champs!!! I would be more concerned if the team underperforms and, yes, the coach blamed but, at the end of another horrid season, he’s still at the helm.

22. Big Ben is a joke in big games. He hasn’t even been the best QB on the field in three Super Bowls. He was outplayed in every Super Bowl.

Eli now has his 2nd Super Bowl MVP compared to Big Bens ZERO.

Giants need to address Oline, middle linebacker and get a TE that can stretch the field.

I can’t wait to see Marvin Austin in the dline rotation next year. 2nd round pick that missed the season with a torn pec.

23. the best teams were home??? who? the all offense-no defense saints and packers, or the all defense-no offense ravens and niners?

due to the end of the year defensive resurgence, coupled with their already great offense, the giants have been the best team in football since january started.

24. i picked against the giants all postseason and for the patriots all postseason but NOT in the superbowl. i knew at worse, sorry giants fans, that the giants would make patriots earn it. glad i was wrong and giants won 🙂

25. Apparantly Steeler fans don’t know how to read. Lots of squaking about the writer failing to mention Big Ben having 2 rings. Learn to read you idiots! It clearly says multiple Superbowl MVP awards, which Ben Rapelessberger doesn’t have!

26. “This isn’t about bragging rights,” Manning said. “This is a lot bigger. This is about a team and an organization being champions.”

__
    Pure class.

27. I thought it was a pretty good game, and I gotsta admit I was rooting for the Giants. However, there were several times last night when I was wondering if Cam Cameron had invaded Kevin Gilbride’s body. A number of “WTF?” calls.

28. To the illiterate ones who keep bringing up that Big Ben has won two rings….the article is talking about Super Bowl MVPs, not championships.

First grade FTW.

29. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says:
    Feb 6, 2012 9:25 AM
    Big Ben also has won two.
    melikefootball says:
    Feb 6, 2012 9:38 AM
    Once again they forget to mention that Big Ben has multiple Super Bowl wins.
    _________

Big Ben has not been the MVP of the superbowl twice. This ain’t about the Steelers…

30. The NY Football Giants are again at the top of the NFL. I LOVE reading all the NY hatred. Jealousy is the purest form of flattery.
    With this young core the Giants should contend for the next 5 years.

31. They all think the future is bright in the glow of a Super Bowl victory. Just enjoy this one while you can.

The Giants should know how fast it can all blow up, they rolled into the playoffs the year after their last SB win and got upset by the Eagles. As did the Saints against Seattle and GB against these Giants. That’s the NFL.

32. bozosforall says: Feb 6, 2012 10:49 AM

__
    Pure class.
    ——————————–
    “My daddy says I’m not allowed to play for San Diego!”

Yep, pure class alright.

33. “My daddy says I’m not allowed to play for San Diego!”

Manning didn’t want to go there because the franchise had no history of building a consistent, contending team and winning the big game. Seems like a spot on assessment. What has AJ done to prove him wrong? San Diego loves to brag about how “talented” and “deep” their roster is. Well, what have you got to show for it?

34. “mikefrommars says: Feb 6, 2012 10:09 AM

To the ones saying they forgot Big Ben…

Two Superbowl MVP awards… Not victories.”

On top of that, Ben really only QB’d one Super Bowl victory. The first one he was just on the roster. 9 of 21 for 123 yards and 2 picks with no TDs? He got his ring, but it doesn’t count as a victory for him. Rather it was the Steelers D/Refs victory.

35. As for their future. They should get back Terrel Thomas, Marvin Austin, Jonathan Goff and Domenik Hixon. The skill positions will remain the same with maybe the exception of Manningham. If they can get a good improvement from the offensive line, they’re have a much better offense next year. Their defense will improve just from the guys they get back and players who are now rookies getting a full offseason.

36. east96st says: Feb 6, 2012 12:18 PM

“My daddy says I’m not allowed to play for San Diego!”

————————-
    I’m no Charger fan (or NFC East fan for that matter) so this isn’t sour grapes to that end. You go where you get drafted, that’s the way it works. How is San Diego supposed to build a winner when drafted players throw a hissy fit and refuse to go there? It’s lame. It’s whiny. It’s everything a classy player is not. It also only happened with Eli because Archie and sons think they’re bigger than the NFL.

/rant

37. OK, I’m a Steelers fan but I keep seeing others complaining that they are overlooking Big Ben with two super bowls. The article said two super bowl MVP’s. Ben doesn’t have two super bowl mvp’s, and though I don’t think Eli should have had the first MVP (should have gone to d-line), he does have two. And those of you saying the best teams weren’t there, they had their chance and they all lost. Crazy year. It is about a combination of skill, luck, and timing. Steelers had it all backwards this year with injuries at the wrong time and getting Tebowed. Congrats to the Giants for putting it all together. Reminded me of the Steelers team from Super Bowl XL. Go Black and Gold next season.

38. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says:
    Feb 6, 2012 9:25 AM
    ——————————————-
    Ben has two rings, not two Super Bowl MVP trophies, which is what was stated in the article.

The Steelers literally won in spite of Ben in his first one.

39. supemario – You’re overlooking a few very relevant things. 1) San Diego announced that Archie said he didn’t want Eli to go there. The Mannings didn’t take that public, the Chargers did. 2) They were under no obligation to trade him. Just because a player says something, doesn’t mean the team has to do what the player says. 3) They got a boatload of draft picks as compensation. Which is a PERFECT way to build a winning team. Not Eli’s fault that it hasn’t panned out for them. He didn’t draft the players. AJ has OFTEN bragged that he feels he got the better of the deal. If the GM of the Chargers thinks he got a bargain, who are we to argue? In AJ’s mind, Eli did him a favor.

40. Bens first superbowl, the MVP should have went to the officials. They put up 21 points for the steelers.

41. east96st says: Feb 6, 2012 2:27 PM

——————-
    I’m not arguing with the results. I agree with you that it probably worked out for the best with both teams honestly (Philip Rivers hasn’t exactly been a bust in SD). It’s the principle of the whole thing that bothers me. Cam Newton didn’t whine before going to Carolina. Jamarcus Russell didn’t whine before going into a completely dysfunctional Oakland. San Diego may have gone public with the Manning’s comments, but that doesn’t change their rotten attitude toward the whole thing. It just rubs me the wrong way. The same way Peyton taking a huge payday and attempting to weasel his way out of Indy rubs me the wrong way. The same way Favre intentionally trapping the Packers in a horrible situation rubs me the wrong way.

Play for who drafts you. Play out your contract. Keep your mouth shut. Is that too much to ask of players? For the record, I was rooting for the Giants yesterday, but if we’re honest, there just aren’t that many truly classy players out there anymore, and I certainly don’t put Eli among them.

42. rocketcrab says:
    Feb 6, 2012 10:57 AM
    ———–

Nope, that’s vintage Killdrive. Welcome to 3 hours of a Giants’ fan’s life EVERY WEEK. Now you see why we aren’t ever “overconfident” or “arrogant”, like the fans of the teams that the Giants have beaten seem to claim? We have to deal with that ALL GAME, EVERY GAME, and we never have blowout wins as a result.

43. Bitter Kurt Warner must have been talking about Big Ben and his zero SB MVP’s. Not Eli Manning, 2x SB MVP within four years. What Eli has done is truly incredible and should be appreciated. Not criticized by Bitter Warner.