The Mario Manningham catch from both sides

New York Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham makes a long catch inbounds past New England Patriots free safety Patrick Chung and free safety Nate Jones in the NFL Super Bowl XLVI football game in Indianapolis Reuters

There’s not much question about what was the biggest play of Super Bowl XLVI.

Mario Manningham’s 38-yard catch on the Giants’ final drive of the game was the longest play from scrimmage in the game, it set the Giants up at midfield on their way to the winning score and it took a great catch by Manningham on a great throw by Eli Manning to make it happen. Manningham was able to get both feet in while sprawling out to corral the ball and held it while falling to the ground on the sideline. Manningham had blown a chance at another big grab on the previous Giants drive when he couldn’t stay in bounds on a second down play that would have put the Giants into prime scoring position, making his redemption all the sweeter.

“They rolled into cover-2 at the last minute and I see (Patriots corner Sterling Moore) in the corner and he acted like he was going to backpedal, but he came up to play cover-2,” Manningham said, via the Boston Herald. “I like spinned him and worked him outside and Eli split the ball on the money. Great ball. I knew where I was on the sideline. I knew I didn’t have much room. Good thing I wear 11 because if I wore 111⁄2 I don’t think I would’ve been in.”

Moore had played pretty well up until that point in the game. The Patriots secondary was leveled with a lot of criticism in the week before the game with Manningham and the other Giants receivers barely able to contain their glee about the chance to face the New England defensive backs. But the Pats never went with Julian Edelman, who looked bad against the Ravens in the AFC Championship Game, and limited the Giants passing game for most of the evening. The Giants were able to move the ball, but they had to settle for field goals in the third quarter, allowing the Patriots to remain in the lead.

On the fateful pass to Manningham, Moore knew he would have help over the top from safety Patrick Chung so he tried to jam Manningham at the line. He couldn’t get the job done, as he told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.

“I got my hands on him about four yards down the field,” he said. “I’ve got to get more on him. I didn’t get enough on him to give Patrick a chance to get over the top. I put that on myself.”

Chung didn’t hold his teammate responsible for the big play. His thoughts sum up the correct reaction to the play that helped turn the game in the Giants’ favor.

“He had both feet down. Good throw, good catch, man.”

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “The Mario Manningham catch from both sides”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Feb 6, 2012 10:22 AM

Manningham, I called that he would have a huge play in the game.

2. medtxpack says: Feb 6, 2012 10:24 AM

It seems like the Patriots are handling this loss pretty well and staying classy. Giants defintely were the better team.

3. tdk24 says: Feb 6, 2012 10:27 AM

Pats with Vinatieri 3-0. Without 0-2.

4. sj39 says: Feb 6, 2012 10:39 AM

It was the kind of play that wins Super Bowls. Remember like pre-1999 when most SBs were total blowouts and boring? Glad we havn’t seen those for a while.

5. fittytuckin says: Feb 6, 2012 10:39 AM

Forget that catch, Ochocinco sure had a hell of a game as a “secret weapon”.

6. marcuswelby70 says: Feb 6, 2012 10:42 AM

Got to give credit where credit is due. Great throw and catch. Coming right after Welkers drop, those two plays were the turning point in the game.
    Congrats to Tom Coughlin and the Giants!

7. polegojim says: Feb 6, 2012 10:43 AM

Beautiful effort and perfect throw.

Hate that a Michigan man beat another Michigan man…

But the Giants deserved the win, hands down. Their defense showed up as promised too.

Congrats New York

8. bozosforall says: Feb 6, 2012 10:46 AM

Great catch…great win.

9. savocabol1 says: Feb 6, 2012 10:46 AM

I want to start this off by saying I am neutral for both teams, I had nothing riding on this game, and I thought it was a catch (and a great one too).

However, I have seen plenty of catches this year that have been called incomplete that looked similiar to Mario’s catch. When he rolls over you can see he needs to adjust the ball, maybe only a little bit. I have seens refs call that not having full control throughout the entirety of the catch.

10. svcfilmguy says: Feb 6, 2012 10:47 AM

Manning threw a brilliant pass, and Manningham pulled off an all-timer as far as keeping his feet in bounds. The Patriots secondary deserves some criticism for their sometimes atrocious play, but there’s no shame in giving up that one. I don’t know what else those two guys could have done.

11. rayvens says: Feb 6, 2012 10:59 AM

Those NewYork Teams sure talk alot of Trash….the thing is one team backs it up….and the other gets Back up!

Congrats Giants!

12. wtfpft says: Feb 6, 2012 11:00 AM

Ball moved should be no catch, watch the replay. The awful new rule of a catch should’ve overturned it.

13. johnnyjagfan says: Feb 6, 2012 11:01 AM

Super throw. Super catch. Super Bowl Champs.

14. jmagnet28 says: Feb 6, 2012 11:02 AM

Looking off the safety is one of the most underrated things a QB can do. Eli did it brilliantly. If he doesn’t the safety just sits and waits, steps right in fromt and picks it off. Textbook by Eli and probably a more important part of that play than the throw itself.

15. eezyxyz says: Feb 6, 2012 11:12 AM

That play was great example of why I hate the current challenge system for replay and wish we’d just go back to the system in the 90’s where replay officials handled the calls. That play was so huge in the game and so close to the sideline that it had to be reviewed, and I just think it’s wrong that a coach had to gamble (and ultimately lose) a crucial timeout to get the officials to have a closer look at one of the most critical plays in the game.

16. barneysbullet says: Feb 6, 2012 11:17 AM

Patriots dynasty is/was OVA!!!

17. eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 6, 2012 11:19 AM

Better catch that the tyree catch, imo, because it was pure skill and execution. route, check. throw, perfection. adjustment by wr, check. Hands + feet + the all important ball doesn’t juggle or hit the gound coming down, check check check.

ould they have won without that play? I dont think so.

18. patriotera says: Feb 6, 2012 11:23 AM

My team lost so maybe I’m slanted in this but that was one of the worse Superbowls I’ve ever seen. I hope the Pats and Giants never play each other again.

19. tatum064 says: Feb 6, 2012 11:26 AM

Spectacular catch was “Tyree II”… right on the money Book of ELI, Chapter 2!

20. chrissfiss says: Feb 6, 2012 11:31 AM

Great catch! Throw was even better! Next time you see it( probably soon) watch location of football he couldn’t have handed it to him better. Great job Eli.

21. kelvinmchale says: Feb 6, 2012 11:35 AM

Perfect throw. Sometimes Eli amazes me with his throws. And I’m a Patriots fan. Congratulations Giants.

22. megatronlegacy says: Feb 6, 2012 11:37 AM

Deion Branch made a better catch on the 2nd to last play of the game. Replay showed it was a catch, but it wasn’t reviewed for some reason. Wouldn’t have made a difference, I just thought it was an amazing catch.

Wasn’t rooting for other the team, just like to point out officials’ mistakes.

23. eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 6, 2012 11:47 AM

megatronlegacy – false. that was out of bounds, no catch. foot up before ball possessed, and never back down. Replay clearly shows. Just sayin…

24. gcsuk says: Feb 6, 2012 11:47 AM

Got respect for both Chung and Moore. Don’t throw anyone under the bus, take responsibility. Maybe Giselle should take a lesson from them.

25. gcsuk says: Feb 6, 2012 11:48 AM

megatronlegacy says: Feb 6, 2012 11:37 AM

Wasn’t rooting for other the team, just like to point out officials’ mistakes.

——————————————————————–

Doesn’t count as a “catch” when your second foot comes down CLEARLY out of bounds. Even Branch didn’t argue, and neither did the Patriots sideline.

26. bobhk says: Feb 6, 2012 11:52 AM

I think it’s great that Moore was the guy involved in two crucial plays in consecutive games…one went for him one went against him.

27. jakek2 says: Feb 6, 2012 11:55 AM

Brady, Rodgers, Brees never make this throw on their best day. Throws like that only come from history’s most CLUTCH super bowl performer. Mr. Eli Manning!

28. gcsuk says: Feb 6, 2012 12:00 PM

eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 6, 2012 11:19 AM

ould they have won without that play? I dont think so.

OMG i hate the giants so muck. But they know how to play in the playoffs (except when they play the eagles I guess…cuz we seem to have a pretty easy time beating the world champions… :( (((((((((((((((((( )
    ———————————————————————-

Every team has their “kryptonite”. Giants can’t beat Eagles (recently), Pats can’t seem to beat Giants.

29. dmartin17 says: Feb 6, 2012 12:03 PM

I think I might be having my rules crossed up, or more likely just being a fan, but I did see the ball move when he hit the ground out of bounds. It wasn’t moved by the ground and he did maintain possession throughout the catch but for some reason, the bobble while out of bounds is what’s making me think it should’ve been ruled incomplete.

Again, I know I might be tainted by my allegiances but I am more into finding out the clarification of the rule than being right or wrong.

30. chrisexv6 says: Feb 6, 2012 12:14 PM

@dmartin17:

I believe the rule is that one he has control, the ball is in his possession. He needs to keep it in his possession as and after he goes to the ground.

He had control of it, therefore he had possession….it can move within his arms if he hits the ground, as long as the ball doesn’t pop out and/or touch the ground then he maintained that possession and its a catch.

One of the replay angles showed his forearm was cradled underneath the ball as he went to the ground, so the ball itself could never touch.

It wasn’t as flashy as Tyrees, but was just about as important!

31. raiders757 says: Feb 6, 2012 12:26 PM

patriotera says: Feb 6, 2012 11:23 AM

————————————

When it was 17-15 Pats, I told my wife that if the game ended this way, the Pro Bowl will have been more exciting. Luckily the game got really exciting after I said that. Kind of reminds of the Steelers/Cards Super Bowl. It was terrible for three quarters, but ended with an exciting fourth quarter. Neither can be considered one of the best, but both were entertaining in the end.

32. kowboydmac says: Feb 6, 2012 12:35 PM

Possession rule needs to be altered.

Manningham = Catch. Check.

Calvin Johnson = Game winning TD catch against Bears. X.

Obviously the Manningham catch is far more significant, it just goes to show me that the rule needs to be altered.

Manningham did adjust the ball while out of bounds, but I feel the way the ball moves while a player has since MADE the catch, is irrelevant. Manningham shifting the ball while rolling over had nothing to do with TWO hands on the ball without bobbling and maintaining two feet in bounds.

33. 6ball says: Feb 6, 2012 1:20 PM

The coverage by Moore and Chung was decent. Eli and Manningham just beat it with a near perfect throw and catch. . Sometimes you just have to credit your opponents. There’s a reason they even got into the super bowl and it wasn’t by lottery.

34. pongonfl says: Feb 6, 2012 1:28 PM

The officials dusted off the “patriot dynasty” PI rules. But the Giants still won.
    The officials tried hard to give the Packers a win too.
    Makes this the best SB run in history. No one gave this team a single thing, indeed, the officials did pretty much what they could to deny them.

35. pensacolasteelers says: Feb 6, 2012 4:50 PM

And Chung’s hit on Nicks along the sideline would’ve drawn a defenseless WR penalty against anyone else. And these are but just a few reasons why I hate the Patriots!

36. pensacolasteelers says: Feb 6, 2012 4:51 PM

I saw at least 3 interference penalties against the Patriots not called. Rediculous!

37. billh7 says: Feb 6, 2012 7:29 PM