Bates, Cutler reunite in Chicago

AP

One of the men who was instrumental in getting the most out of quarterback Jay Cutler during his time with the Broncos will now be assigned the task of getting the most out of Cutler in Chicago.

The Bears have announced that Jeremy Bates will be the team’s quarterbacks coach.

Bates spent three seasons with the Broncos — the same three seasons Cutler played for the team.  Bates served as offensive assistant in 2006, receivers/quarterbacks coach in 2007, and quarterbacks coach in 2008.

After Mike Shanahan was fired in Denver and Josh McDaniels was hired, Bates joined Pete Carroll at USC.  Bates then followed Carroll to Seattle, working as the Seahawks’ offensive coordinator in 2010.

Fired after only one year, Bates was out of football in 2011.

The 35-year-old is now back, and he’ll be responsible for the passing game while first-time offensive coordinator Mike Tice handles the running game.  It’s unknown who’ll be responsible for booking the bye week booze cruise.

30 responses to “Bates, Cutler reunite in Chicago

1. Sweet! Now if Drew Brees and the Saints can muff their contract situation and tie up New Orleans’ franchise tag, maybe the Bears can get Colston in free agency. And yes….Fred Smoot is the undisputed Captain of the Love Boat.

2. This is the same guy who got cutler to raise his int totals the first few years while never making the playoffs? Nice.

3. Not getting to excited here because it’s just a QB coach. It doesn’t matter if he’s familiar with Cutler or not. I realize that this is probably something that Cutler wanted, but if he doesn’t get protected or have anyone to throw to than this means nothing but making Cutler a little bit happier mentally. Hopefully the new GM truly does have good talent evaluation and realizes what this team needs for real because I for one as a Bears fan am sincerely tired of our mediocre offensive product that were expected to get excited about as fans. Getting cutler was a great trade in my opinion but he’s only of 11 pieces to an offensive puzzle.

Dear Mr. Emery

Wish List

2 BIG time wr’s
    TE
    O-line
    Safety
    DE
    Our old return man in Devin Hester, not the wr Devin Hester

2012 will be the year of the offense and it’s time the Bears catch up and with our current wr’s we won’t catch anything.

4. ronniemexico says: Feb 7, 2012 1:01 PM

Good hire.

And at packattack1967: The Bears had the same number of playoff wins as the Packers this year.
    *******************************************
    From hosting the NFC Championship game to 8 and 8. That’s my point.

5. gshfootball, I’d add DE to that list. With two stud QBs in the division, having someone opposite Peppers who can rush the QB should be a priority.

6. That’s not just Fred Smoot. It’s Fast Freddy Smoot. He can’t cover, but he can score.

I wonder who’s going to call the plays for the Bears? Maybe Tice and the passing coordinator will take turns.

7. packattack1967 says: Feb 7, 2012 1:56 PM

From hosting the NFC Championship game to 8 and 8. That’s my point.

—————————

I get that, but I have to believe you’re smarter than that.

Or did you automatically think that when the Packers went 6-10 it was all Aaron Rodgers’ fault?

8. packattack1967 says:
    Feb 7, 2012 12:51 PM
    We used to look forward to Bears games on the schedule. yawn.

_____________________

You need to stop overlooking those kitty-kats up in Michigan. We’ve been battling them for years. It’s about time you pay attention.

9. It’ll be nice if we get at least three competitive teams in the NFC North to make the division (and the Bears/Packers rivalry) relevant again. I’m tired of all the attention going to our AFC North counterparts…

10. ronniemexico says: Feb 7, 2012 1:01 PM

Good hire.

*******************************************
    From hosting the NFC Championship game to 8 and 8. That’s my point
    *******************************************
    From Super Bowl Champs to Discount-Double Chokes. That’s my friggin’ point.

11. Bates was fired in Seattle for his conflicts with Alex Gibbs, the OL coach at the start of Carroll’s reign. Gibbs resigned literally a week before the start of the 2010 season, and Bates was fired as soon as the season was over. It later came out that conflict between the two caused Gibbs to quit, and Bates was retained mostly because it was too late in the offseason to find a replacement.

12. howiehandles says:
    Feb 7, 2012 2:10 PM
    ugh, missed it on your list. My mistake gsh. I would have TE lower down the list though.
    __________________________________

It’s cool. I’m just looking for as much offense as I can get man. I really think the Bears should focus as much as possible on the offense this year. Our offense is so far behind our D and it just always seems to be that way. It’s time to finally make it worth watching, it’s pretty young and if we just add to it with some key pieces it can be something and take us where we want to be. The Bears have always counted on their D to win them games and you cannot win games without scoring points. I know you need a capable D don’t get me wrong but I think our D is plenty capable even with it’s age. Our guys can play at a high level for a few more years if you ask me. It’s time the organization show some versatility and put some product on the offensive side. Our last 6 head coaches are all defense and that’s been the Bears primary focus for since I can remember and our D has only produced one SB. Isn’t SB’s what it’s all about?

13. ronniemexico says: Feb 7, 2012 1:01 PM

Good hire.

*******************************************
    From hosting the NFC Championship game to 8 and 8. That’s my point.
    ———–
    You must have the attention span of a 5-year old if one down season for the bears causes you to lose interest in the best rivalry in sports.

14. “instrumental in getting the most out of quarterback Jay Cutler during his time with the Broncos”

Ummm, even Tim Tebow has won more playoff games in Denver than Cutler did…..

So, must not have been too much there.

15. sullijo1 says:

Feb 10, 2012 1:24 PM

Ummm, even Tim Tebow has won more playoff games in Denver than Cutler did…..

So, must not have been too much there.

Your comment indicts your football IQ more than it does Jay Cutler.