Mario Manningham: “I want to come back, but I don’t know”

Super Bowl XLVI Getty Images

As an impending free agent, Mario Manningham could cash in on his Super Bowl heroics. He says he hopes to remain with the Giants.

I want to come back,” Manningham said, via the New York Post. “I want to come back, but I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m just going to try and enjoy this Super Bowl [win]. I’m not really thinking about it right now.”

Manningham has never proven that he can be a No. 1 receiver, but it’s possible that some team excited by his Super Bowl performance could decide to pay him like a No. 1 receiver. If Manningham receives that kind of offer elsewhere, the Giants would let him talk, because the Giants aren’t the type of team to overpay to keep a player for sentimental reasons.

But if the Giants and Manningham can work out a deal that gives him a healthy raise without breaking the bank for the third option in their passing game, that would make sense for the team. And Manningham wants to stay.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Mario Manningham: “I want to come back, but I don’t know””
  1. RebelKrishna says: Feb 7, 2012 7:49 AM

Minny, Philly, or H-Town.

2. skeebo80 says: Feb 7, 2012 7:56 AM

Niners maybe

3. djstat says: Feb 7, 2012 7:58 AM

H-Town? What is H town? Manningham would not do well in Andy Reid’s offense

4. bigpara says: Feb 7, 2012 8:00 AM

Manningham should look at it this way. Look at what the Giants pass catchers did after they left the Giants, I am talking about Boss and Smith. They haven’t did jack, Eli makes you look good. The smart money is to stay in NY.

5. faulkn22 says: Feb 7, 2012 8:02 AM

Lions fan here. I’ve read about the Bears being interested on a few different sites recently. I don’t want the Bears getting better, but if the price is right, he’d help them.

6. ballboy48 says: Feb 7, 2012 8:03 AM

It would make his granddaddy proud to be a Cleveland Brown! He grew up in Warren, Ohio!

7. rwmilli says: Feb 7, 2012 8:03 AM

Philly doesn’t need a Mario, we need a bigger body presence down in the red zone, a vincent Jackson type, but G/L to him, hope he lands a nice contract

8. hooks024 says: Feb 7, 2012 8:08 AM

Wtf is h-town?

Btw-if it’s some slang name some rapper uses to refer to his hood, then you’re a little off base using it here, because speak english. But at least you sound cool to your friends.

As far as manningham goes, he’d be a fool to leave. Maybe he has derrick ward syndrome.

9. hank10 says: Feb 7, 2012 8:08 AM

He’d do well in Andy Reid’s (warped) WC offense. Look how great Steve Smith worked out. Oh, right. . . never mind.

10. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Feb 7, 2012 8:10 AM

O jeez.. Someone is gonna overpay for this guy and he’s gonna make a lot of money and disappoint a lot of people.. Really hoping its not The Texans!!

Do yourself a favor and chase the rings manny, take the lower price with the giants and dominate with that 3 headed monster.

11. bigbluefan1 says: Feb 7, 2012 8:10 AM

A role player at best he had a great game but only because the other two were double covered
    The Pats did not respect his talents any decent #3 WR would have had a good game

12. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Feb 7, 2012 8:17 AM

Washington Redskins. They have plenty of cap room to overpay players again after they exploited the uncapped year to restructure contracts and give their free agent busts their guaranteed money ahead of schedule.

13. dalfanforever says: Feb 7, 2012 8:28 AM

Hey, I know a team that LOVES to overpay for role players. Too bad, Cowboys fans know the words to this song. However, I can say we don’t need ANOTHER 2nd receiver. We have a team full of them. So thank goodness, we won’t be looking his way.

Manningham is expendible. He’s better off giving a discount to the Giants to stay. Cruz and Nicks are clearly better, more consistent and dangerous. They’re stronger and run better routes and will actually come back to the QB if he’s in trouble.

I’m all for someone going to get their payday, but he rounds out a pretty dominant receiving corps. Stay where you are. Don’t leave a good situation.

14. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says: Feb 7, 2012 8:31 AM

manningham is just a guy. eli just makes receivers appear better than they are. there should have never been a debate about whether or not eli is an elite qb because look at what his receivers do when they aren’t catching passes from eli….they do nothing…dude is fools gold

15. jdandcoke says: Feb 7, 2012 8:35 AM

the giants have way too many people to pay….unless mario gives the giants a discount he’ll be gone. jerry reese will find someone to take his place.

16. shidoda says: Feb 7, 2012 8:45 AM

can you really not figure out that h-town is Houston? think about how many teams out there begin with an h. just because you haven’t heard of it doesn’t mean you have to be a dick about it to someone else.

17. jbl429 says: Feb 7, 2012 8:51 AM

The Giants definitely won’t overpay him, they would be okay with grooming Jernigan to take Mario’s place. I’d like to see him come back at a reasonable price, but some other team will probably overpay him. He’s a #2 WR on 25 teams in the league and a #1 on 5 or so.

18. tmaleman says: Feb 7, 2012 8:52 AM

hooks024 says:
    Feb 7, 2012 8:08 AM
    Wtf is h-town?

Uhhh…you’re critiquing someone on their English skills, when you clearly lack them yourself.

First, “then you’re a little off base using it here, because speak English” doesn’t make sense. Secondly, you don’t start a sentence using “but.”

Thirdly, I’m an Eagles and Penn State fan, so it pains me to admit that I’ve always felt Manningham was a bit underrated. The best move for him would be to stay in New York and work the slot, although I couldn’t blame him for dashing for the cash

19. bigbluenationdb says: Feb 7, 2012 8:52 AM

I have watched Manningham for four years now. He is no better then a #3 WR. When given the chance to step up and play big when Nicks or others were out he couldn’t do it. A teams top corner will shut him down. He benefits from seeing a teams #3 corner.

Someone will over pay him to come in a be a #2. Giants have other options for a #3. Rames Barden is getting better and the rookie Jennings is the same type of receiver as Manningham.

If the Giants can resing him for a reasonable amount then they should if he wants something unreasonable then let him walk

20. zaggs says: Feb 7, 2012 8:56 AM

Problem is with the great catch he had, he also had that boneheaded route earlier in the game.

21. cheapseater says: Feb 7, 2012 9:05 AM

@hooks024

Seriously? H-town is a slang term for the only city in the NFL beginning with an “H.” It is commonplace in this city to refer to it as H-town. Think NYC, Chi-town, Philly. Why does it have ot be rapper in a hood?

Racist much?

22. deddmunnie says: Feb 7, 2012 9:05 AM

No way they pay that bum. He was garbage most of the season.

23. wlubake says: Feb 7, 2012 9:06 AM

He was almost a 1,000 yard receiver in 2010 (944). When Nicks was out with injuries at the end of the 2010 season, he put up three straight 100+ yard games. He has #1 WR potential, but on the lower end.

He’ll leave to get more balls thrown his way. He only had 39 catches this year after bringing in around 60 each of the prior 2 years.

BTW – It is pretty obvious that H-Town is Houston, as it is the only NFL city that begins with the letter H.

24. dtm1088 says: Feb 7, 2012 9:08 AM

Let’s be honest, Manningham is as good as gone. Nicks is their top guy, and there is a 100% chance that Cruz will hold out. The Giants will of course offer him a contract so that doesn’t happen. They’ll offer Manningham 3WR money, but Manningham and Rosenhaus will obviously look elsewhere for much more money. Thanks for the memories.

25. wlubake says: Feb 7, 2012 9:16 AM

bigbluenationdb says:Feb 7, 2012 8:52 AM

———————————————
    As a fellow Giants fan, I’d have to disagree with about everything you said. See my comment above regarding Mario stepping up when given the role of #1 WR. He’s done it.

Barden has done nothing to show he might be able to step in. I actually expect him to get cut next year. And “Jennings” is actually Jernigan. He’s smaller and hasn’t shown the route-running ability in college or the pros to even compare to Mario.

I agree that the Giants will let him walk if the price gets too high (as they would with just about anyone). However, he’s shown that with targets he can produce. If I were the Patriots or the Bears, I’d be jumping at the chance to sign him. His best football is still ahead of him.

26. bunkmcnulty says: Feb 7, 2012 9:29 AM

H-town? Really?

I thought all the Jim Rome followers had died. I have a hard time believing people in Houston use that.

27. lostsok says: Feb 7, 2012 9:38 AM

The grass isn’t always greener…but the money is…

28. bspurloc says: Feb 7, 2012 9:40 AM

I will never understand why $$$ is more important than going to another super bowl…….

29. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: Feb 7, 2012 9:42 AM

Headline taken out of context.

30. bunkmcnulty says: Feb 7, 2012 9:44 AM

@tmaleman

Let a Maryland grad correct you. You may use the word “but” to begin a sentence. Many times it is connected with the prior sentence as a conjunction. But sometimes its use can create a more effective written expression of an idea by starting a sentence with it.

For the original writer in this blog, he clearly has no idea what he is writing. However, I have to agree I think the use of H-town is an attempt to sound cool. Personally, I just sounds stupid!

31. bunkmcnulty says: Feb 7, 2012 9:47 AM

I MADE A MISTAKE.

I deserve that for correcting someone else…I should have said “it just sounds stupid.”

Ok. Let me have it.

32. ebeg420 says: Feb 7, 2012 9:55 AM

I just had to look at the NFL Standings so I can try to figure out what “H-Town” meant, the only thing I can come up with is Houston…..

I’m not from down there but I’m pretty sure nobody calls it “H-Town”

MORON!!

33. trollhammer20 says: Feb 7, 2012 10:16 AM

Oh boy, some lucky team can sign themselves the next Larry Brown!

34. bigblueballs77 says: Feb 7, 2012 10:27 AM

It would be best for him to stay in Ny, but Rosenhause won’t let that happen. He won’t go to Philly, and it’s not cause of Steve Smith. SS tanked in Philly cause he was injured. Here’s to keeping Mario in Giants Blue.

35. mialto says: Feb 7, 2012 10:35 AM

Chitown baby

36. jakek2 says: Feb 7, 2012 10:36 AM

Mario will bolt for the cash, underperform unless he finds himself with one of the other “big 4″ QBs, get released and be back with the Giants in 2014. He’ll be back to basically replace Plaxico who went away on the same type of plan and will be resigned by the Giants this offseason for dirt. Its the circle of life for a 3rd WR. Steve Smith is in the middle of his circle.

37. bkeating51 says: Feb 7, 2012 10:47 AM

Manningham is a big, strong, and quick WR who has made many big plays this year.

But he is still the rawest of the three receivers. His routes are still frequently not the ones that the QB expects, he drops the ball a little more than the other receivers and he is still mastering the sideline catch.

But he is still young and is improving his skills. Three touchdowns in the playoffs.

He should ideally spend another year with the Giants before going it alone (see Steve Smith). But the cap waits for no man.

38. wlubake says: Feb 7, 2012 10:55 AM

bspurloc says:Feb 7, 2012 9:40 AM

_____________________

It is because the money is guaranteed. Getting back to the Super Bowl is never a sure thing. Not to mention, see how you feel when you have the opportunity to turn down about $5-10 million dollars. I bet you’d take the money.

39. dannomac21 says: Feb 7, 2012 11:50 AM

james jones all over again

40. rogerbrad says: Feb 7, 2012 12:03 PM

H-town is NOT a term used in Houston. Trust me. I was born here 60 years ago and that term is not used in reference to our city.

41. mikes92nygiants says: Feb 7, 2012 12:14 PM

Manningham showed the year before this one that he could be the number 1 wr when Nicks and
    Smith went down with injuries..
    Hes a playmaker for sure!
    Definitely hope he comes back to the Giants!

42. delshofner says: Feb 7, 2012 5:23 PM

Manningham may actually be worth more to the Giants than to other teams. He’s … how do I say this … not the sharpest tool in the shed, with a 6 on his Wonderlic test, but he’s mostly grasped the Giants complex option/read pass route game, although it’s taken 4 years.

He does still have more times of not being on the same page as Eli than Cruz or Nicks, but will another team feel he can learn their playbook any quicker and contribute to earn big $$ right away?

He’s also had more than his share of drops and injuries … so I can’t believe he’ll get a mega-deal from anyone.

43. otrd13 says: Feb 8, 2012 12:14 AM

wlubake- see 9ers regular season and cowboys games for big manningham late game target drops. cruz and nicks have had drops but this kid has never shown that he can consistently be counted on not to mention very few yac plays. i know u think that 900+yd season was great but honestly that was all eli and a lack of nicks. been had waiting for this kid to come around, hes a #3 and a damn good one. lets leave it at that or he can leave. jernigan and barden stink, mb jernigan can get it together but probably not…. i say get steve smith back for cheap to fill the void