Text from Tuna persuaded Ricky Williams to walk away

Getty Images

Apparently, Ricky Williams had no plans to retire from football after the 2011 season ended.  Then he received from Bill Parcells a text message that planted a seed, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

The exchange started with Parcells asking Williams, “How you doing? I’m just checking up on you.”

“I had a great year,” Ricky said in response.  “Body felt good. When I got to play, had a blast.  Can’t wait till next year.”

“That’s good,” Parcells replied, even though I’m having trouble envisioning him hunting and pecking through the QWERTY keyboard of a smart phone with his thumbs.  “Don’t chase this thing too long.  You can contribute in other ways.”

And so Ricky decided to call it quits.  And so either Ricky is extremely impressionable, or Parcells has strong powers of persuasion.

“I have to keep 85 percent of who I really am under wraps to fit into that [football] model,” Ricky said.  “It’s not fun for me.  Even when I show an extra five percent, it pushes the envelope.”

Some would suggest he’s referring to his desire to smoke marijuana from time to time (or more often than that), something that he successfully has put on the back burner for the past several years.  But Ricky has other things he wants to do with his life, and he has every right to explore those possibilities.

Still, few things pay as well as pro football, especially when a guy is in line for the maximum veteran minimum of nearly $1 million.  And that’s the real question Ricky needs to ask himself:  Does he have the money to afford the pay cut that comes from not playing football?  If he does, then so be it.  If he doesn’t, he may need another year or two of NFL money before he can comfortably transition to the next phase of his life.

That said, there continues to be a sense that he’ll decide to return to the NFL at some point in the future.  Though he doesn’t have the name recognition to justify the placement of Ed Werder on the street outside Ricky’s home until further notice, it makes sense to keep an eye on whether the 1998 Heisman winner will decide to give it one more go.

79 responses to “Text from Tuna persuaded Ricky Williams to walk away

1. “I have to keep 85 percent of who I really am under wraps to fit into that [football] model,”

Is Ricky Williams coming out of the closet??

2. “Though he doesn’t have the name recognition to justify the placement of Ed Werder on the street outside Ricky’s home until further notice…”

Classic.

3. If someone gave me $1 million for one year of work, I’d like to think I could invest wisely enough to be alright for the rest of my life to go along with some type of broadcasting/journalism gig. Of course, I’m not a stoner.

4. How soon we forget this guy quit on his team to smoke pot. We make him out as some great guy are we kidding here.

5. He says he had a “blast” playing, then says that football isn’t fun for him.

Sounds like he is baked again.

6. I’m sure Ricky has made plenty of money to retire on since his return to football. Its not like he’s a flashy guy, and yoga mats aren’t that expensive.

7. Time to layoff the weed jokes about Ricky already-he, like anyone else including millions of NFL fans should have the right to enjoy a benign herb in the privacy of his own home without the uninitiated sticking their big noses in something that ain’t nobodies bidness. Ricky doesn’t need some beer swilling drunks complaining about his choice of stress relief.

8. It woud be great of Ricky came back to the Ravens for another chance at getting to the Super Bowl( they are still loaded and will fill in the gaps this offseason), but if it is final, there is another RB who could come in after getting alot of rest in Philly last season looking to contribute to a running team…Ronnie Brown. He might want to try and prove something, but if not someone else looking to contribute to a team making a run could fit.

9. If someone gave me $1 million for one year of work, I’d like to think I could invest wisely enough to be alright for the rest of my life to go along with some type of broadcasting/journalism gig. Of course, I’m not a stoner.

——————————–

You’re also not good enough at anything for people to want to pay you that much.

10. I am really confused on what he was trying to say. Is he saying that pot is such a part of his being, that it was torturous to not do it when he wanted to? That sounds absolutely crazy… shame on him, if that is his implication. On the other hand, if it is something more “spiritual,” as was mentioned in an earlier post, I can live with that, locker rooms are too tight and I have a feeling that admitting to parts of a certain individual’s life, would not go over well in a locker room.

11. I’m sure he has plenty of money saved up from his career. Ricky Williams was never the 10 bentleys, entourage, blow money at the strip club type. In that 30 for 30 documentary, did you see the house he lived in? It was smaller than some walk in closets!

I’m sure he’ll be just fine.

12. Jeez Parcells, a guy like Williams finally appears to have his ducks in a row and tells you that he’s had a great year, is having a blast and can’t wait until next season, and you tell him “don’t chase this thing too long”? How about keeping your mouth shut (or calling him back and telling him to go with his gut and disregard your off-the-cuff remark).

13. I said in November that I wasn’t sure about Ricky. He was a good addition to the offense but how can a guy go from weed, debt, and then all of a sudden back to football for football? And now a text from the Tuna can change your outlook on next year. I’m not surprised.

14. Whats this about money? How much could it possibly cost to live in a tent and smoke weed? Thats what he did the last time he retired. Plus dont underestimate the amount of the pension he will get each year.

As far as coming back to the league, well, he is not a young man, what makes you think anyone would want him back a year or two from now?

Even suggesting that is pretty disrespectful, besides Favre and maybe Tiki, most of these guys really do stay retired and are not flaky.

15. Ricky is one of the few Dolphins I can stand, I love the way he ran, I loved that he was a smoker and wasn’t ashamed of it, and I wish him the best of luck in future endeavors.

16. SCREW “The Tuna” , if he wants him out then force him out and show his true colors to all the fans as to how much of a jerk he really is !!! Ricky is letting the Tuna use the “jedi mind trick” on him ?? Hell, play until your fiscally set especially if you still have bills mounting. Ridiculous………..

17. Sometimes I get the feeling Bill Parcells just likes to screw with people. I think he gets some amusement out of creating a mess and then walking away from it and watching it fester at a distance.

18. So if he “retires,” then blazes up during the summer, and then “un-retires” he can get around the drug testing.

He would have to officially retire by filing his papers I guess, but it should be a valid work-around.

19. Everyone remembers how Ricky “quit on his teammates” to “be a stoner”, but they never remember how Dave Wannstedt did everything humanly possible to destroy the man. Wannstedt’s idea of an “offense” down in Miami was to hand Ricky the ball 350 times a year. If he hadn’t walked away for a few seasons, he’d have retired long ago. Taking a few seasons off was the smartest thing he ever did.

20. If I win the lottery, I’m not accepting any texts, emails or faxes from the strangely persuasive Bill Parcells.

21. just be honest….don’t dance around the subject. Ricky wants to do drugs and can’t while he is playing. Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out Ricky!

22. Still, few things pay as well as pro football, especially when a guy is in line for the maximum veteran minimum of nearly $1 million.

Though, that hardly compares to the minimum veteran maximum. The maximum veteran maximum is completely out of the picture. His natural tendencies maximize the potential for him to minimize the maximum veteran minimum he might receive anyway. Until then he might as well get his money, right? Right?

23. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says:
    Feb 8, 2012 11:43 AM

————————————————-
    Obviously Ricky has played well on the field to get an $1 million dollar contract offer. Of course, he is no arm chair quarterback.

24. A text message convinced him to retire? Jeez. If that doesn’t tell you everything you need to know about Ricky’s passion for football, I don’t know what will.

25. He was on mike & mike this morning talking about how he wants to wander the globe and expand his mind with higher education.
    He pulled the card about how people like him only have 2 options in life, being an athlete or an “entertainer” , and he picked being a football player, but that’s not really him, or who he wants to be.
    Pretty much said he’s been faking it since he came back just to get some $ so he can do what he really wants.
    He’s pretty out there…but I hope it all works out for him. He’s a hometown kid, so I’d hate For him to turn into the next Hollywood Henderson.

26. AlanSaysYo says: Feb 8, 2012 12:08 PM

*************************************************
    He was telling him to get out now while he’s healthy.

Hello???

27. Williams has had a long time girlfriend who he has a kid with, so, I doubt he is gay and I doubt this is a pot “issue”. He will receive a pension, but I don’t know the status of his prior financial obligations – he owed millions to the Dolphins. I hope he comes back for another year, at least. He also would be paid over the minimum, with incentives, at least. I’m not a Raven fan, but it would be great to see him return. The Cowboys need another back with some power, I would like to see him there.

28. The tuna is using Jedi mind tricks! How does he do it. Bill, can you text some people for me? Can you come with me to buy a new car?

29. rdrs68 says:
    Feb 8, 2012 11:48 AM

—————-

While I don’t care what he does, I think you’re statement is pretty ignorant. There are obviously laws at the federal, state, and even NFL level that show what he does IS other peoples’ business.

30. rolltide510 says:
    Feb 8, 2012 11:48 AM

————————–

Yes, but child support for all of his kids are.

31. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Feb 8, 2012 11:43 AM

—————————————————————–
    Cool story bro.

32. Parcels probably tipped him off to an upcoming urinalysis!

Hehe jk.

Love you Rickey. And, again i think you are retiring too early. I dont buy this story btw about the tweet and him changing his mind.

33. ppc50,

He married his longtime girlfriend, the ceremony was even in the 30 for 30 documentary. The Tuna wiped out his debt with he Dolphins when they redid his contract a few years ago.

34. “melikefootball says: Feb 8, 2012 11:44 AM

How soon we forget this guy quit on his team to smoke pot. We make him out as some great guy are we kidding here.”

How soon we forget the Dolphins treated him like absolute garbage. I would quit on that too, money is not worth being treated like a POS by your employer.

35. One of my favorite Dolphins ever. Just misunderstood.

All the best to one of the game’s best RB’s..

36. Ricky’s a class act. He doesn’t bother anybody. Who gives a chit that he smokes weed? I don’t know too many people that went nuts on pot and tried to fight the world or beat someone or any other crap that booze makes you do. Does anybody? You the man Ricky! Run Ricky Run!

Shoela knows all!

37. maybe the Rickster was smoking a little weed and thought it was Parcels texting him. Very interesting!

38. bhindenemylines says:
    Feb 8, 2012 1:26 PM

…and ur equally as ignorant, not that I even smoke, but first of all, Fed gov’t has declared they wont trump state marijuana laws, which is why there are LEGAL dispensaries all over the country now. Second, many states have decriminalized it to the point where posession is a slap on the wrist at most. Third the NFL will fine you if u dont have the right amount of color on your socks…not exactly who we should look to on all moral/legal issues.

What someone does is none of YOUR BUSINESS no matter what it is, you didnt do it…it didnt directly affect u, not ur business.

A common misconception by blowhards like you is that everything is your business and your opinion should be held in higher regard than others.

Weed isnt heroin, meth, crack or coke, its not even as bad for your body as alcohol, facts are out there…check them. Or you could do what you clearly are good at, make half ass statements without doing research.

39. At his peak RW could really pound the rock, was a hard worker (when he wanted to be) and the locker room loved him (when he wasn’t quitting on them). Throughout his career he definitely marched to the beat of a different drum and let’s not forget that he wore a frickin wedding dress for an ESPN cover in 1999 with Mike Ditka. I wish him well blazin or not but I think we’ll see him unretiring again. If a simple text from “Tuna” can convince him that it’s time to move on then maybe a text from “Lenny Kravitz” telling him they’ve run out of money and need some more green will get him to come back. More to be revealed.

40. If someone gave me $1 million for one year of work, I’d like to think I could invest wisely enough to be alright for the rest of my life to go along with some type of broadcasting/journalism gig. Of course, I’m not a stoner.

———————————–

lol u mad?

41. ppc50,

————————————————————-
    I have the 30 for 30 doc at home, didn’t think he married, must have forgot. Didn’t know Parcells wiped out the millions he owed – interesting. Thanks for the clarification Tom.

42. Don’t be surprised to see Ricky un-retire before the season starts. After a few months of running out of enthusiasm for his “new life” and running out of cash, he’ll be back for another 7-figure contract,

43. Here’s a thought. Tuna in his later years is going to start blazin. He doesn’t have any reliable hookups (since Sam Hurd is incarcerated) so he turned to RW to help a bro out.

44. Was reading this story about williams and started thinking about parcels and a few other coaches like (ditka, jimmy johnson or others that have 1 or 2 superbowl rings and less rings than Joe Gibbs but always get looked at as football gods or something while no one ever talks or Gibbs. Yeah, I’m a skims fan but let’s keep it real, Gibbs was in 4 superbowls, won 3 and made it deep in the playoffs pretty much every year from ’82-’92. Then, the man retires and goes on to win a Nascar Championship… Unbeliveable career. Then, comes back and takes the awful skins to the 2nd round of the playoffs in his second stint. The only coaches equal to or maybe above Gibbs in the modern era are Bill Walsh and Tom Landry. Correct me if I’m wrong. Guess I’m tired of all this Bill parcels talk, I don’t know. Just felt like giving Gibbs some love tonight (no, not that kind of love). I’m out…

45. Oh yeah, and the guy from New England… The one who cut tiquan underwood from the team the night before the SB. Good coach though.

46. Kind advice, but is he right ? I’d imagine Ricky looking back in 5 years wishing he’d stuck around. Yeah he’s a simple man…. but he’s a simple man who just so happens to owe child support to MANY women all over the country. Ricky is one of those smart guys that continually makes poor decisions.
    He’ll never do tv, we know that….. so his options lay somewhere in the herbal remedies craft. Unless he’s somehow instrumental in the legalization of marijuana, i think him staying in football is in everyones best interest, except tuna i guess ?!?

47. rdrs68 says: