M.I.A. may owe big money for Super Bowl halftime contract violation

Bridgestone Super Bowl XLVI Halftime Show Getty Images

After Sunday night’s finger malfunction during the Super Bowl XLVI halftime, we observed that the contracts for the musical acts “should contain stiff financial penalties for anyone who makes obscene statements or gestures.”

Apparently, they do.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells Yahoo! Sports that the documents include language regarding improper behavior.  “We do have [safeguards regarding artist conduct] written into their contracts,” Aiello said.

Aiello wouldn’t say whether M.I.A. faces financial liability for the middle finger fiasco.  Frankly, he doesn’t need to.

Safeguards in contracts against misconduct typically consist of the payment of money, often via something known under the law as “liquidated damages.”  Basically, the parties agree in advance that the actual harm resulting from a violation will be too difficult to tabulate, so they agree to a specific payment that will be due and owing if/when the party does that which the party agreed not to do.

Permalink 112 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
112 Responses to “M.I.A. may owe big money for Super Bowl halftime contract violation”
  1. lonespeed says: Feb 9, 2012 11:34 PM

Good.

2. bobulated says: Feb 9, 2012 11:35 PM

I imagine she gives a sh** now.

3. bleedgreen4life says: Feb 9, 2012 11:36 PM

I thought they delayed the broadcast a few minutes so stuff like this doesn’t happen?

4. mrplow3 says: Feb 9, 2012 11:38 PM

Am I the only one who doesn’t know who or what an MIA is?

5. cardmagnet says: Feb 9, 2012 11:40 PM

I think Nicki Minaj’s voice was more offensive, but I suppose M.I.A. should be fined as well.

6. gcsuk says: Feb 9, 2012 11:40 PM

Not that I’m some kind of prude, but she gets what she deserves. If she is so stupid that she doesn’t know what’s written in her contract, too bad. I can only hope that any “notoriety” she might gain from this story is outweighed by the financial hit she takes.

7. hdahs143 says: Feb 9, 2012 11:41 PM

Good. Maybe it will be incentive to think about growing up.

8. donny1rodriguez says: Feb 9, 2012 11:41 PM

that middle finger was the best business decision she ever made

9. slippyal2 says: Feb 9, 2012 11:41 PM

Think of the children!!

10. adiddie says: Feb 9, 2012 11:41 PM

Take that you dummy

11. lemmam says: Feb 9, 2012 11:42 PM

whatever this m.i.a. person is – sucks as an “artist”. it would be nice if “m.i.a.” went to “k.i.a.”

12. mrgroovesd says: Feb 9, 2012 11:42 PM

How does this relate to any REAL news for any of the teams in the NFL? WHO CARES!

13. ihatestupidpeople says: Feb 9, 2012 11:42 PM

One of the few times attorney’s are well worth thier billable hours. Here’s to hoping that he/she makes nothing for “entertaining” at the Super Bowl. I would love to tell [it]: ha ha.

14. gunndlewittlebaum says: Feb 9, 2012 11:47 PM

M.I.A. was just doing what we all have wanted to do to Goodell for years. Bless her sassy soul.

15. gergie1957 says: Feb 9, 2012 11:47 PM

M.I.A.’s Money may be Missing in Action.

16. tremoluxman says: Feb 9, 2012 11:49 PM

This talentless twit was trying to act all edgy and cool on national TV. Rather pathetic, like a high schooler mooning the audience during graduation ceremonies. “Lookit me! Lookit me! I did something naughty!” How creative — not.

17. roamingabriel says: Feb 9, 2012 11:49 PM

They actually got paid for that show?

18. maxvv says: Feb 9, 2012 11:50 PM

How many millions of people would have never realized this happened if the league and the media hadn’t made a story out of it?

19. DonRSD says: Feb 9, 2012 11:51 PM

Get Jay Z and Kanye up there.
    Stop it with the has-been people and the “15 minutes of fame” people.

20. gdeli says: Feb 9, 2012 11:51 PM

She should know better. The $ she pays in a fine, I could revonate my house with. ha

21. sirdrinksalot says: Feb 9, 2012 11:51 PM

Who cares? I didn’t even notice until the media made such a big deal out of it. This country is a joke.

22. vtopa says: Feb 9, 2012 11:52 PM

She’s a no-talent piece of trash. Thought she’d make a name for herself by giving the finger at a big event. I’m not about censorship but she signed on to do a gig that the NFL markets to all ages. Why does my kid need to see some ignoramus shoot the middle finger during a big football game?

Fine her stupid azz.

23. jb24fan says: Feb 9, 2012 11:54 PM

Stop having halftime performances. Let us enjoy football without all the BS.

24. illinininer says: Feb 9, 2012 11:56 PM

Hope it was worth it.

25. zaggs says: Feb 9, 2012 11:56 PM

Shouldn’t she have to pay a fine for her crappy music as well?

26. goforthanddie says: Feb 9, 2012 11:59 PM

Just kick/keep her out of the country and we’ll call it even.

27. txndave says: Feb 10, 2012 12:00 AM

I’m not tryin 2b mean, but man that chick is UGLY!

28. edgeofepic says: Feb 10, 2012 12:07 AM

She sucks.
    Let’s get Rush for the next Super Bowl. Enough with these dance acts. Football is enjoyed by men, men listen to rock music – not Madonna.

29. oldschoolethics says: Feb 10, 2012 12:07 AM

Any publicity is good publicity. You can’t pay too much for this kind of exposure. Think about it. When was the last time you used M.I.A. and NFL in the same sentence. I say kudos from a business perspective.

30. dkrauss93 says: Feb 10, 2012 12:10 AM

Coming from a Jets fan, did she learn this from Rex Ryan?

31. trevor123698 says: Feb 10, 2012 12:12 AM

@ DornsDay

Jay-Z and Kanye West rap songs with the words “blood stain the colliseum doors” or “possession is the only felony”. Jay Z is a masonically controlled artist same as the rest and they are all bringing their secret new age beliefs into their music. Did you pay attention to the music video for “Run This Town”, or the lyrics of the song. This is not even mentioning songs like “Lucifer” and all of the other connections between Jay Z and the Mystery Religion.

32. catquick says: Feb 10, 2012 12:15 AM

all this mess just for showing us her I.Q.

33. vincentbojackson says: Feb 10, 2012 12:16 AM

Not sure what’s worse. People getting all worked up about the halftime show, or the halftime show itself.

My halftime show consists of taking a leak, restocking the chip bowl and grabbing a couple more beers.

34. plum13sec says: Feb 10, 2012 12:32 AM

Andy Lewis on the slackline was the only talent at the halftime show

35. ficklebystander says: Feb 10, 2012 12:37 AM

Are we really so offended by her flipping the bird? It had to pointed out the morning after and now the picture is popping up everywhere (including on this story). M.I.A. got exactly what she wanted. You can now say you’ve heard of her. Good job.

36. stevenfbrackett says: Feb 10, 2012 12:37 AM

I read in another article the day after that the contract stated that the offender would pay a flat penalty to the NFL – PLUS – pay any fees the FCC leveled.

It would be nice if that was the case. Maybe someone can confirm?

37. imatelldatroof says: Feb 10, 2012 12:42 AM

MIA = My Ignorant A$$ … will not see much after this.

38. areyesrn says: Feb 10, 2012 12:48 AM

I have to admit that I kinda like MIA’s new mixtape…

39. 2greatgoldens says: Feb 10, 2012 12:50 AM

hey edgeofepic… Just wondering what rock you crawled out from underneath of. A lot of women like football too and are just as knowledgeable about it as men. Go back to the 50’s where you belong.
    And BTW, I would take Rush over Madonna any day.

40. smackingfools says: Feb 10, 2012 12:53 AM

I’m sure the devil and illuminati will protect her.

41. nomoreseasontix says: Feb 10, 2012 12:54 AM

I guess if I was on stage at an event where maybe 95% of the viewers had no idea who I was, I might throw up a finger myself.
    Just to get my name out there.

“Who?? Oh… The silly looking chick with the finger at the Super Bowl. That’s right…”

42. smackingfools says: Feb 10, 2012 12:55 AM

Google ‘Madonna satanic ritual super bowl’

43. hawkitnow says: Feb 10, 2012 12:55 AM

meh ,,,!,,

44. mikehockhurtz says: Feb 10, 2012 12:55 AM

The beauty of freedom of speech….

We are allowed to speak how we feel….

But sometimes being obscene or disrespectful is un-needed…

Just because you have freedom of speech doesn’t mean you have to be classless and cheap.

Unfortunately, there are are a lot of people that need to learn that freedom of speech doesn’t mean be a classless douche bag.

45. billinlouisiana says: Feb 10, 2012 1:01 AM

sirdrinksalot says:Feb 9, 2012 11:51 PM

———————————————————-

Then leave

46. brahmabull71 says: Feb 10, 2012 1:05 AM

Well she just made herself relevant!

47. oddte says: Feb 10, 2012 1:08 AM

I’m not offended by the gesture so much as I’m offended by her calling herself an artist. WHAT A HACK! You embarrased your sponsor, Madonna, who at least knows how to offend people in style.

48. uwsptke says: Feb 10, 2012 1:09 AM

I’ve always thought that a band like the Foo Fighters would be perfect for the halftime show. I’m sure the NFL will get around to it, but probably not until Dave Grohl is a senior citizen.

49. bahshah27 says: Feb 10, 2012 1:09 AM

Hey NFL… Just legalize the nipple again people won’t feel the need to give the finger!

50. sellout3871 says: Feb 10, 2012 1:15 AM

Football is four hours of watching 350 lb men give each other compound fractures and concussions….and everyone is getting riled up about a middle finger. Come to think of it, sue the absolute crap out of that chick for thinking that a middle finger is even all that shocking in the first place, sooo edgy…

51. fumblenuts says: Feb 10, 2012 1:15 AM

sirdrinksalot says: Feb 9, 2012 11:51 PM

————————————————————————————————————

Then move to Mexico you friggin’ jack wagon.

52. backindasaddle says: Feb 10, 2012 1:17 AM

Good! I hope she has to pay through the nose and I hope it’s painful.

53. pack13queens0 says: Feb 10, 2012 1:26 AM

If I was Roger Goodell, I would say that only Country Music will be performed at Super Bowl halftime shows. There’s nothing in Country Music to be offended by & pretty much the only genre of music you can say that about.

54. tatum064 says: Feb 10, 2012 1:28 AM

trevor123698 says:
    Feb 10, 2012 12:12 AM
    @ DornsDay

=======================
    Of that I have NO DOUBT. Could they be any more obvious, with the reference to Horus in the Kanye West “Power” video?

as for M.I.A.

“Swagga like US?” Guess will find out how much swag that stunt is going to cost.

55. brenenostler says: Feb 10, 2012 1:29 AM

They need to get Aerosmith already! I’ve been wanting them to do it for years.

56. paulbrown46 says: Feb 10, 2012 1:48 AM

Who was she flipping off anyway? Was Big Ben in the crowd?

57. descendency says: Feb 10, 2012 2:03 AM

When are they going to fine Steven Tyler for his awful rendition of the national anthem???

58. villag3scribe says: Feb 10, 2012 2:13 AM

“Deception is the only felony”

59. hedleykow says: Feb 10, 2012 2:13 AM

Obviously, she gave the finger because she was pissed off about the total absence of hits on defenseless players in the first half. I couldn’t agree more. Flip that bird, sister!

60. patswhatsup says: Feb 10, 2012 2:17 AM

I honestly can’t help but chuckle at the thought. The whole year, record breaking fines coming from the NFL…. It just goes to show that even the halftime performers can get fined….. hahahahahahahaha!?!?!?!!??

It’s kind of ridiculous.

61. tom35mt says: Feb 10, 2012 2:23 AM

People offended by this are ridiculous

62. quittsburghstoolers says: Feb 10, 2012 2:31 AM

I’m sure today’s musicians that have songs on the charts probably hate her a lot right now.

There goes any chance they have to get themselves
    (or most anyone else who’s “current”) to perform at the Super Bowl.

It’s back to the old rockers & the country artists for the NFL…

63. staffordsyear says: Feb 10, 2012 2:41 AM

What kind of beer drinkin, hard workin football fanatics want to see this halftime show anyway?, i didnt…fix it!

64. sea3030 says: Feb 10, 2012 2:58 AM

For four hours we watch guys bash their heads in, coaches mouthing all kinds of expletives on the sidelines, sexist beer and website ads, but a middle finger that no one even noticed until the media pointed it out is what everyone’s up in arms about? Wow…

65. cowboysallday says: Feb 10, 2012 3:52 AM

People actually watched that halftime show?

66. packmanfan says: Feb 10, 2012 4:05 AM

If it had been another slip of the nipple this place would have been overloaded.
    Instead all we got is a pitiful 30something responses by the time of this posting.

67. bearsstillsuck says: Feb 10, 2012 4:22 AM

Who?

68. buddybowl69 says: Feb 10, 2012 4:30 AM

sirdrinksalot says:
    Feb 9, 2012 11:51 PM
    —————————————————-
    You Sir are free to leave this great country of ours. May I suggest Iran, Cuba, or even China? If this country is such a joke, leave….

69. nevd83 says: Feb 10, 2012 5:10 AM

Seriously America. Get a f*cking grip. You all need to grow the hell up.

You could barely see the gesture at all during the show itself, it was only when it was slowed down and screen grabbed that people could see it.

Considering all the things that are wrong with America I find it constantly bemusing that something this trivial can actually garner so much attention… You are the richest country in the world and yet have a disproportionate % of people living below the poverty line. But screw that, eh? That is not worthy of your outrage.

Oh, and your lack of gun control is directly responsible for thousands of murders every year. But what the hell.

Oh wait, a rapper flashed her middle finger for 2 tenths of a second? Well that will simply not do. let’s all go batsh*t crazy about it

70. upyoursnfu says: Feb 10, 2012 5:19 AM

That’s too bad, she could have taken that money and got her face fixed.

71. 6thsense79 says: Feb 10, 2012 5:42 AM

I knew who MIA was before the half time show but I know plenty of people who had never heard of her. Now millions have and by the article comments I’ve see on PFT plenty of you guys have also. She probably got what she wanted which is more publicity.

72. acieu says: Feb 10, 2012 5:43 AM

Maybe Tim Thomas could come in and hum a few bars of Onward Christian soldiers next season?

73. mikea311 says: Feb 10, 2012 6:24 AM

so basically how much is the publicity worth?

i didn’t know who MIA was before the show, but i know who she is now.

thanks alot people for getting up in arms about this whole thing.. as long as you keep making a big stink over this, they will keep doing it.

74. packerman1968 says: Feb 10, 2012 6:41 AM

I would like to see KISS as the next act. They would put on a good show.

75. remok9 says: Feb 10, 2012 6:45 AM

This whole thing is lame. I’m no at fan of any of the acts that “performed,” but honestly who cares. We live in a country where its perfectly okay to show a guys heads get blown off and murder on tv shows but god forbid somebody shows a middle finger, or a boob with a pasty on it….for the record get actual bands that play music, not ones that prance around lip synching.

76. brewcrewbombers says: Feb 10, 2012 6:45 AM

Just proof positive that the “music industry” is a farce. But they definitive just became the most expensive Finger in the Super Bowl.

77. brewcrewbombers says: Feb 10, 2012 6:46 AM

whoops! *that definitely* phone failure.

78. brett76 says: Feb 10, 2012 7:09 AM

She WILL NOT care. I frankly never heard of her before this & now look how many people are talking about her. It was a publicity stunt & she will probably make at least 3 times more now. She probably knew she would lose her pay for that day or owe them fine money, but in the long run, she will make much more because of this.

79. bbb82 says: Feb 10, 2012 7:13 AM

I’m glad this MIA person did this. Now I know who’s music NOT to buy. Anyone who has do so something so dumb to get their name out there must be a terrible musician.

80. juanhughjazz says: Feb 10, 2012 7:42 AM

I watched the halftime show, and didn’t notice her doing that. I wish they’d fine whoever broke the story.

81. dspyank2k11 says: Feb 10, 2012 8:15 AM

Nice to see someone piggy back off Madonna to get on stage and flip the bird.

I used to flip people off when I was in my teens.

Here comes five more years of Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger!

82. cshearing says: Feb 10, 2012 8:27 AM

Ridiculous. She gives the finger and gets all the hate. Meanwhile, behind here multiple scantily-dressed women are writhing and thrusting their crotches towards the sky. The hypocrisy is astounding.

To be clear, I think neither is worthy of any fines or controversy. People need to stop looking for things to get outraged over.

83. istuppingyourwhiteewe says: Feb 10, 2012 8:28 AM

OMG! like, no way! that is like so harsh! she was just expressing herself yeah! bunch of old fogies!

84. TheWizard says: Feb 10, 2012 8:31 AM

Who watches the halftime show?

That’s for people who only watch one game each year.

85. snoop24 says: Feb 10, 2012 8:36 AM

She couldn’t read the contract……………oops

86. ww2chas says: Feb 10, 2012 8:38 AM

They should fine Tom Brady for his “demonstration” on the field during the game!

87. glennsyank13 says: Feb 10, 2012 8:43 AM

Is MIA male, female, or both?

88. realitypolice says: Feb 10, 2012 8:45 AM

gcsuk says:
    Feb 9, 2012 11:40 PM
    ===============================
    You may not be a prude, but you are being a little naive.

She, or at least her agent, knows exactly what was written into the contract.

I rather certain she and her agent discussed it ahead of time and it was completely planned.

There are literally millions of people who know who MIA is now that never even heard her name before. Her picture has been shown repeatedly on every major or minor media outlet in the world.

Whatever fine she winds up getting, it will be far less than what advertiser’s paid for a 30 second spot, and she got 10 times more publicity.

Mission accomplished.

89. kaf39 says: Feb 10, 2012 8:57 AM

I’m sure she didn’t even read the contract.

90. skinsrock says: Feb 10, 2012 9:04 AM

When told this information, I heard she stuck up her middle finger & said “sue me”!

91. wakexxl says: Feb 10, 2012 9:08 AM

Why they ever gave her or him or whatever the hell it is a contract I will never know.

92. dolphindad says: Feb 10, 2012 9:15 AM

thank god for this justice! its been such a horrible week since this happened. it took me hours to get my family to stop crying from seeing the horror of a an extended middle finger. you try to so hard to protect your family and then BOOM! I dont know if we will ever recover. my poor kids have had to go to counseling all week to deal with this traumatic expereince. MIA should be put in jail and the key thrown away. If there is a silver lining, surely it will be the NFL will be extra vigiliant in the future. I’m sure they will impose extra harsh fines and perhaps suspensions for coaches and players who swear or curse on the field. I know at least once per game my kids are subject to this devil language when these networks carelessly pick up the audio. i hope they blur out lips during games too, I dont want my son violated from lip reading this sinful language.

any word on if the NFL or NBC will be offering grief counseling to those watching the game? we outta bring a class action lawsuit to get our lawful compensation to us.

93. vindicatedvike says: Feb 10, 2012 9:21 AM

The nfl should have never let her in. They should have let Rihanna and then hoped for a clothing “malfunction “.

94. bamasleeper13 says: Feb 10, 2012 9:23 AM

I don’t even know who M.I.A. Is but that whole thing was the worst half-time show ever. Hope she does have to pay a fine but the audience that watched should get paid, it was awful. If that is the best they can come up with just don’t have a show at all!

95. ken1313 says: Feb 10, 2012 9:44 AM

Am I the only one who thinks M.I.A. looks like Wanda (the ugly chick jamie Foxx used to play on “In Living Color”?

96. whatnojets says: Feb 10, 2012 9:48 AM

a source close to the rapper told ABC News Radio that her actions were caused by “adrenaline and nerves,” a result of getting “caught up in the moment,” and “weren’t an attempt to make any kind of statement.”

97. realitypolice says: Feb 10, 2012 10:10 AM

whatnojets says:
    Feb 10, 2012 9:48 AM
    ====================

That’s pretty funny.

Yeah, she was trying to make a statement: “You have no idea who I am now, but by tomorrow morning you certainly will”.

98. bearsrulepackdrool says: Feb 10, 2012 10:14 AM

trevor123698 says:
    Feb 10, 2012 12:12 AM
    @ DornsDay

_____________________________

I take it you didn’t see Madonna’s opening performance. It reeked of Masonic references. Heck look at what M.I.A. is wearing. What kind of cheerleader is that?

99. waussau says: Feb 10, 2012 10:15 AM

She’s known for a song about drug deals and shootings… 4 years ago BTW, she’s been completely irrelevant since.

100. captatl says: Feb 10, 2012 10:15 AM

Who is this M.I.A anyway? Never heard of him/her. Picture looks like an actor off of Ancient Aliens on the History Channel.

101. justafanofitall says: Feb 10, 2012 10:39 AM

Apparently at 59 I have no idea who M.I.A. is. That being said she must have a career to be with Madonna at halftime. So unless you plan on hitting her in the pocket I would guess it would have to be pretty hefty to make a difference. Some of these artist are pretty smart…a small fine to get your name in print and print and print. Now everyone knows who you are.

102. ready4doomboom says: Feb 10, 2012 10:47 AM

Isn’t this just a slap in the face to NBC? They allowed these awful artist to perform. I read they even hired a guru to watch for anything to happen and it still happened. Bwahaha, hey networks keep letting these turds called artist perform and then act shocked when it slaps you in the face.

On another note I think MIA and Nicci Minaj ( wanna be Lady Ga Ga ) May have just done us all a favor. NO MORE TERRIBLE ACTS at the halftime show. What was wrong with Tom Petty? Loved it. Let the old good rock groups do what they do and entertain us.

I am just waiting for the Justin Bieber and Salena Gomez halftime show.

103. souldogdave says: Feb 10, 2012 10:54 AM

No-one ever heard of “M.I.A.” before this, I’ll bet there was a back room deal with Madonna. Madge wouldn’t do it, but will help with or just pay the fine so her halftime show makes noise. It was a Cher ripoff to me, production wise. Lots of flash and disco…

104. guppies66 says: Feb 10, 2012 11:22 AM

Dear FCC, NBC, and NFL, the joke is on you and your weak fines.

MIA is laughing all the way to the bank with her new found (and undeserved) fame. And there is nothing you can do about it.

… or is there? Your move.

105. starderup says: Feb 10, 2012 11:26 AM

Her hat reminds me of my porch light. I’m happy to go back to not knowing or caring who she thinks she is.

106. missamyg says: Feb 10, 2012 11:57 AM

Am I the only one that thinks she looks like Wanda, the Jamie Foxx character from “In Living Color”? Ya know, I’m gonna rock your world Wanda?

107. jagsgrl says: Feb 10, 2012 12:14 PM

Who was she flipping off and why? Im not a prude nor am i particularly “offeneded” but why? Its just low class

108. iamnotoleanderson says: Feb 10, 2012 12:15 PM

M.I.A. owing money is one thing, the NFL actually being able to collect it is quite a different story.

109. hammertoe11 says: Feb 10, 2012 12:24 PM

She was flipping off Mitch Daniels Governor of Indiana. She shouldn’t fined for that. Give her high 5 for doing it to Mitch Daniels.

110. mashoaf says: Feb 10, 2012 12:53 PM

She looks like Jamie Foxx playing Wanda, from the In Living Color.

111. bringbacktheflex says: Feb 10, 2012 4:04 PM

Why does a football event have to have these self-important “entertainers” anyway? Does anyone say, “I’m not going to the SuperBowl this year because Madonna and Jamie Foxx in drag aren’t going to be there?” Or, “I’m watching reruns because the halftime show doesn’t involve explosions, screaming, bad music, and risk of vulgarity.”

Really. Who would have cared if it was just local college or high school marching bands.

112. The Prophet says: Feb 16, 2012 12:40 AM

Considering all the huge fines and what happened to Howard Stern after the last Super Bowl vulgarity fiasco, the least they can do is give a big fine to her.