Pierre-Paul thinks Giants should give Osi what he wants

IMAG0563

Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora hasn’t been happy with his current contract, pretty much since the day he signed it.

And with $3.975 million due to be paid to Osi in the final year of his contract, teammate Jason Pierre-Paul thinks the team should take care of him.

“I think it’s very important,” Pierre-Paul told Mark Hale of the New York Post.  “Give him what he wants, man.”

Though Pierre-Paul would replace Umenyiora if Osi goes, Pierre-Paul thinks that it’s important to keep Umenyiora around.  “That’s a great guy and trust me, a guy like that on your team, he’s a playmaker,” Pierre-Paul said.  “Just us three defensive ends, we’ve got a couple more on the line, but I feel like we’re all on there together, it’s unstoppable.  Who’s going to stop us?  We’ve got the best defensive line in the country, and everybody sees that.  So bring him back.”

Curiously, Pierre-Paul has no similar concerns regarding his own deal.  “I don’t too much focus on that,” Pierre-Paul said.  “If it was up to me, I’ll play my whole contract out.  I just go out there and play football and I’m OK with it.  I got drafted last year, first round, 15th pick and I’m happy.  I’ll support my family, buy my family a house and then buy me a house and everything [will be] financially stable and all I’ve got to worry about now is football, just to play great football.’’

Of course, Pierre-Paul received a first-round contract in the final year of the first-round windfalls.  Osi, on the other hand, is finishing up a deal he signed after proving to be a solid player following his entry into the league as a second-round pick in 2003.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Pierre-Paul thinks Giants should give Osi what he wants”
  1. east96st says: Feb 9, 2012 2:25 PM

Jerry Reese was hired as the Giants GM on January 16, 2007. So, in five years and almost one month’s time, he has helped put together a team that has won two Super Bowls. I’m going to go out on a limb and say he might know what he’s doing. What was REALLY hysterical was all the Eagle fans offering their “expert” advice on what to do with Cruz’s contract. Yeah, no one knows how to build a Championship team like Philly! 1960, assclowns. I think I’ll sit back, enjoy a few celebratory beers, and let JR do what he does. He’s got a pretty damn good track record. If anyone who posts here can say they are a better NFL GM than Reese is, let them step forward and prove it. Othewise, little trolls should keep quiet.

2. buchopeful says: Feb 9, 2012 2:54 PM

I like Osi, but Pierre Paul is a class act.

3. rpiotr01 says: Feb 9, 2012 3:05 PM

Now there’s a proven way to build a long-time winning franchise: Give them whatever they want!

4. wave222 says: Feb 9, 2012 3:15 PM

Please keep that line just as it is!!

5. east96st says: Feb 9, 2012 3:19 PM

Jerry Reese was hired as the Giants GM on January 16, 2007. So, in five years and almost one month’s time, he has helped put together a team that has won two Super Bowls. I’m going to go out on a limb and say he might know what he’s doing. Good to see JPP stick up for his fellow DE, but he has realize that the man upstairs runs the show and knows what he’s doing.

6. rcali says: Feb 9, 2012 3:29 PM

Pierre-Paul would make a great GM for the Yanks, Red Sox, Phillies, or Tigers in the MLB.

7. crabboil says: Feb 9, 2012 3:32 PM

Who’s going to stop them? Granted the post season and the Super Bowl are different than the regular season, but it wasn’t that long ago that the Saints put up about 50 on that defense.

8. LoCoSu@%s says: Feb 9, 2012 3:33 PM

Great attitude from JPP. Not a Giants fan, but I appreciate his attitude to his own contract and playing the game.
    I truly hope he retains his humility all thru his playing days

9. fissels says: Feb 9, 2012 3:33 PM

This is why is so difficult nowadays to build a long term winner. Everybody thinks they should be paid like they were solely responsible for the wins

10. profootballwalk says: Feb 9, 2012 3:36 PM

He must be a liberal – he’s generous with someone else’s money.

11. ebeg420 says: Feb 9, 2012 3:36 PM

I wonder if Osi will say the same for JPP when he’s due?

12. prettytonyt says: Feb 9, 2012 3:36 PM

JPP “Yeah give Osi what he wants…because when my contract is done, and Osi is gone..you guys can give me Julius Peppers $$”

13. ottograham says: Feb 9, 2012 3:37 PM

Get what you pay for.

14. mclovin07 says: Feb 9, 2012 3:37 PM

I like JPP but this is a business. Osi signed his deal, and should be cool with it IMO. I never understand these dudes who sign a deal, and then want a new deal before the old one is up. Can you imagine if the owners could make that demand?? Imagine Kraft calling Ocho Stinko into his office early November and saying “hey bro, you got 3 catches this year for 28 yards, gonna need to cut you’re pay from 6.5M, to the veteran’s minimum”!! The NFLPA would go ballistic.

I like Osi, and I agree he’s underpaid at 3.9. But NO ONE forced him to sign that contract…be a man, live up to it.

15. chocolatebaconbutter says: Feb 9, 2012 3:43 PM

You know, at the beginning of the season I was inclined to think that he was expendable with the emergence of JPP. But as the playoffs went along I totally switched my thinking. Maybe they should give him what he wants, provided it’s mildly reasonable. JPP and Tuck are more important IMO, but Osi in the fold just makes that line a beast to deal with.

Ernie Accorsi had a vision. In a time that the NFL was clearly morphing into a passing game dominated league, he believed that a dominant pass rush would neutralize these great QB’s and offenses. The Giants have 2 Super Bowls to show for it. Keep this line together.

16. shymovieguydarb says: Feb 9, 2012 3:44 PM

I hate to quibble with Jason Pierre Pauls claim of the Giants having the best defense of line in the country. I think everyone saw the real best line in football this postseason and they play in San Fransisco. For the best defensive line they did a pretty poor job of getting consistent on pressure on any quarterback not named Matt Ryan this postseason.

17. santolonius says: Feb 9, 2012 3:48 PM

i would love to see someone do a thought-out ranking of nfl defensive linemen because i have to think tuck, osi, and pierre-paul are all in the top ten. and wouldn’t that make the 2011 giants one of the great pass rushing teams of all time?

18. salvi5574 says: Feb 9, 2012 3:49 PM

It sounds all good in theory, its just extremely hard with the cap. It’s not actually about the money, I am sure the Giants would give these guys as much money as they could, and I think sometimes player and people lose sight of that. It’s all about the cap, and the NFL has a hard cap.

19. mikea311 says: Feb 9, 2012 3:49 PM

When Osi came back the D line went up to Superbowl caliber.

We have to keep him around. His forced fumble numbers are insane.

20. fittytuckin says: Feb 9, 2012 3:51 PM

Yeah and the g.m. should tell him, “that’s possible if you’re willing to give up some of your guaranteed money”.

21. cowboyhater says: Feb 9, 2012 3:51 PM

Albert Haynesworth agrees with JPP

22. whatnojets says: Feb 9, 2012 3:54 PM

The New York Jets have some money that they can throw to Osi

23. patsfiend says: Feb 9, 2012 3:55 PM

Not a good sign. You’re not going to be able to pay everybody, and some veteran favorites are going to have to be sent packing if you guys want to stay on top. Lots of young talent, though, and G-Men look to be good for a while yet.

24. deadeye says: Feb 9, 2012 3:56 PM

And when JPP’s contract is up Osi will say that JPP should get what he wants. We all know how that works JPP.

25. bspurloc says: Feb 9, 2012 3:58 PM

Basically JPP is saying enough money to buy 2 houses is all that anyone should want in life.
    1 million income for a year gets that 1 million the next year gets u set for life….

but in OSI’s case 3million in one year isnt enough to buy him some socks so he needs 6million.

26. wisconsineaglesfan says: Feb 9, 2012 4:00 PM

It is hard for me to say that someone is UNDERPAID when they bank 3.9 Million for playing a sport. This applies to any position too.

27. jdandcoke says: Feb 9, 2012 4:06 PM

osi is signed through next season already….the giants dont have to give him anything. his contract was front loaded….he made his money at the start of the contract but everyone forgets that.

i love the guy….buy personally, id trade him while his stock is high. the giants would get a second and a fifth easily.

like someone else said….reese knows exactly what he’s doing…he is EASILY the best gm in football. the giants will lose a few players, they’ll regress a tad, and then come back and win another title in a few years. eli has 6- 7 years left….im expecting two more rings in that time but id be satisfied with one.

28. bubba9er says: Feb 9, 2012 4:07 PM

I think JPP is part of the reason the G-men aren’t worried about taking care of Osi.

(I also think he knows that.)

29. jasons81 says: Feb 9, 2012 4:16 PM

Osi signed a 6 year $41 million contract back in 2005. That averages out to almost $7 mil per year. So basically the contract had most of the money paying out in the front end of the deal with the last few seasons being more cap-friendly for the team. So I don’t look at it as Osi is only making $3.9 mil this season… I look at it that Osi is earning nearly $7 mil. This kills me because these players want big number contracts and they want as much up front as possible but then they want to cry when the contract gets to the lean years. I hope they don’t give the jackass any new money.

30. hdmoyer says: Feb 9, 2012 4:18 PM

Class act by J.P.P.

When I think of Osi I just see him in the beginning of the season riding that bike at practice because he was basically trying to strong arm the team into giving him a new contract then.

31. 808raiderinparadise says: Feb 9, 2012 4:27 PM

shymovieguydarb says:
    Feb 9, 2012 3:44 PM

———————

Not named Matt Ryan? …..

Ah, that’s right they only beat 49ers at home Alex Smith and some guy named Aaron Rodgers the league MVP as well …. and some guy named Tom Brady…. yeah that D-line is not as good as SF? Please, salty nuts since your team choked a home playoff game, give credit where it is due, Ginats have hthe best D-line and they are decorated with superbowl rings for it not stats.

The 49ers have a better overall Defense, but no way is that D-line better.

Jason Pierre Paul
    Justin Tuck
    Linval Joeseph
    Chris Canty

oh and they had some guy named Osi not playing.

32. stevincinci says: Feb 9, 2012 4:32 PM

He’s under contract for 3.9 mill in 2012. That’s all he’s getting,. He signed the contract 3 years back. If he wasn’t happy then, he shouldn’t have signed it.

33. zeedoubleyou says: Feb 9, 2012 5:29 PM

mclovin07

Owners can and do make that demand all the time when they cut a player before his deal is done. When a player gets cut, his signing bonus is the only guaranteed money in the deal.

Mark Schlereth was coming off an injury one year. The GM called Mark, who was under contract, up to his office the day before the season started and handed him a new contract for the league minimum and said, “Here is your new deal. Sign this or we’re going to release you. The rest of the teams in the league already have full rosters, so unless you want to sit out the season you’ll sign the deal.”

Loyalty is a two-way street.

34. baddorange says: Feb 9, 2012 5:37 PM

That’s what contracts are for, JPP. If you jerks are injured, do you give the money back? A deal is a deal. Anyway, you are paid to get the other guys QB. No one cares what you think on anything not related to football

35. bigjdve says: Feb 9, 2012 5:38 PM

I love had JPP said “if it was up to him, he would just play out his contract”. Well JPP – when it comes to your contract it is up to you.

If you were talking about Osi, your right he should just play it out. Instead of crying about it, just play it out and leave.

Osi is getting older, he can’t stay healthy, and his statistics have dropped off each of the last few years. He still wants premier money.

Where does he deserve it? If they are paying by games played, then sure. However he wants by year. That being the case, the fact that he can’t stay healthy means that he isn’t worth premier money.

As good as he is, he needs to show that he can stay healthy. This is a business, smart business managers don’t pay top dollar for damaged goods.

36. vman0626 says: Feb 9, 2012 7:26 PM

osi signed a $41 million six year deal.
    to date he has received $37 million.
    he wanted the money front loaded.
    he got it. he also received $7 million
    the season he never played one snap
    due to injury. he also has been benched.
    he also missed seven games this season.
    so in essence, the giants have kept up
    their end of the deal. osi needs to shut
    up and play.

37. cshearing says: Feb 10, 2012 9:02 AM

mclovin07 says: Feb 9, 2012 3:37 PM

————————————————
    Dude, what world do you live in?? Owners do that all the time. Rework that contract for get cut. Have you never heard of this somehow? Or is your bias against the players so strong you block that out?

38. cshearing says: Feb 10, 2012 9:06 AM

I will add that I did not realize Osi’s contract was so front-loaded. Much like the Lance Briggs situation, I have much less sympathy here than I do in cases where young players drafted in the low rounds out-earn their contracts. I would agree Osi should shut up and play out his contract. But this has to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. To say “all players should just play out their contract and never hold out” is silly.

39. bkeating51 says: Feb 14, 2012 8:34 PM

If this team wants a realistic possibility of repeating, then they keep Umenyiora on the team. Huge difference between two Pro Bowl pass rushers and three. Osi since the Super Bowl has been telling anyone who will listen that he wants to remain a Giant. He is only two years removed from setting the forced fumble league record at ten. Other teams can’t double more than two linemen.

A clever general manager could restructure Osi’s contract, keep him on the team, and free up some more cap space.