Goldson would be “shocked” if he left San Francisco

NFC Championship - New York Giants v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Dashon Goldson had to settle for a low-cost, one-year deal to stay in San Francisco last year after previously turning down long-term contract offers.

He should get a better deal this year. And he expects that deal to come from the 49ers.

Goldson told 95.7 via the Santa Rosa Press Democrat that he would be “shocked” if he’s not back in San Francisco.

“I think those guys are excited about me being there and I’m sure they want me back,” Goldson said. “They’ve expressed how much they want me back. I want to be back there. Like I said, if I’m not there, I’d be shocked.”

We’d be surprised as well. Goldson made his first Pro Bowl and played is most disciplined football last season. It wouldn’t be a shock if the 49ers used the franchise tag on him.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
19 Responses to “Goldson would be “shocked” if he left San Francisco”
  1. blackngoldsuperbowl says: Feb 10, 2012 11:59 AM

I’m flabergasted ! ! !

2. cabsf415 says: Feb 10, 2012 12:05 PM

Goldson is an animal. Always knew he had potential

3. 49erscott says: Feb 10, 2012 12:10 PM

I agree. The safety play,and the front seven is what fuels this defense. The hawk is staying.

4. finer9erfan says: Feb 10, 2012 12:12 PM

Goldson if you play like you did in the later part of the year then I’m would love to have you back. At the beginning of the year, you were not wrapping up with your tackling and you were getting caught up within the LBs.

However, after the Bye week, you really turned it on and had a great second half.

Please come back as the second half FS.

5. cowboysallday says: Feb 10, 2012 12:13 PM

God I hope he becomes a free agent the dude is a beast!!!!

6. dwinsgames says: Feb 10, 2012 12:17 PM

Guy was a monster at safety this season; they’d be fools to let him walk or even test the market.

7. bubba9er says: Feb 10, 2012 12:20 PM

I think our safeties have the potential to give any other tandem in the league a run for their money. Donte Whitner is way better than ‘serviceable’ and Dashon is a big hitting monster. Plus Reggie Smith is a great, great backup/rotational guy. Our secondary is actually a point of strength for the first time in a decade. Keep the defense together.

8. nineroutsider says: Feb 10, 2012 12:38 PM

I said it last year, and I will say it again, Goldson is the FA they must keep. Dude is an absolute Beast, even in coverage. I love the way he plays, hardest cleanest hits I have ever seen. The hit on Mike Williams (TB) is one I will never forget…I could hear it in the stands.

9. nineroutsider says: Feb 10, 2012 12:39 PM

finer9erfan says: Feb 10, 2012 12:12 PM

Please come back as the second half FS.
    —————————————————-
    The entire secondary started a little slow, especially evident in that Dallas game, but once they started to trust each other their play skyrocketed. Goldson is a must keep piece.

10. mattsffrd says: Feb 10, 2012 12:46 PM

He’ll be back, they’ll franchise him if they have to. I have a feeling he’ll take that 5 year deal they offered him last year.

11. dukemarc says: Feb 10, 2012 12:55 PM

He’s really good at knocking potential INTs out of his teammates hands too.

12. steviemo says: Feb 10, 2012 12:57 PM

All the DB’s should thank their lucky stars they’re playing behind that front 7. It’s not a coincidence that guys like Whitner and Rogers had career years playing behind those guys.

Put them on a team like Cleveland or St. Louis and they’d be half as good, if that.

13. 49erlifer says: Feb 10, 2012 1:08 PM

cowboysallday says:
    Feb 10, 2012 12:13 PM
    God I hope he becomes a free agent the dude is a beast!!!!

you guys could of got him last year same with the pats now he will be a niner once again.

14. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Feb 10, 2012 1:11 PM

Dashon flourished under “Coach Vic” Fangio. Biggest hitter in the league, including friendly fire (T Brown agrees). Goldson and Whitner = house of pain. BIG TIME

15. FinFan68 says: Feb 10, 2012 1:28 PM

He seems like a very good player to me. The only knock I have on him (from the limited number of times I saw him play) was his tendency to be over-aggressive. There were a couple plays during the playoffs where he went after the big hit when it wasn’t needed and wound up costing the 49ers certain interceptions. Dislodging the ball from the receiver is good; dislodging the ball from a teammate making an interception isn’t.

16. Nevis says: Feb 10, 2012 1:30 PM

Had his best year, would like to see him back BUT….I’d prefer to resign Carlos Rogers if I had to pick between the two.

Dashon is a good centerfielder, heavy hitter. But sometimes he lets guys get behind him because he’s so aggressive.

Hoping we re-sign, but I’m not 100% sure that will happen. 49ers have a lot of FA issues to make decisions on.

17. time2speakup says: Feb 10, 2012 1:40 PM

I have been watching closely, and I still find it mind boggling how one coach and his staff could accomplish what the Niners brain-trust did. DG was our safety last year. Manny, Takeo and A Franklin were released and replaced and look what happened. Goldson must be kept – that is a given folks. Period. “Notice to the NFL” with anything remotely resembling good luck health-wise, this Niner defense is still young and should be The best in the league right out of the gate. Why? Because now they will have the time to actually “learn” Vic Fangio’s defense. Oh, you guys didn’t know that the players only knew/understood a fraction of Fangio’s playbook. Hee hee hee. Mark it!

18. jetropolitans says: Feb 10, 2012 1:59 PM

the jetropolitans really could use this guy

19. johnnyshore says: Feb 10, 2012 2:14 PM

Best safety in the league.