Rex Grossman wants to stay with the Redskins

Washington Redskins v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

As the Redskins ponder their options at quarterback, it’s fairly safe to say that the 2012 starter won’t be Rex Grossman.

Grossman has yet to get that memo, however.

Appearing today on SiriusXM Radio’s Movin’ the Chains with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan, Grossman said he wants to stay with the Redskins.

“I definitely like the situation,” Grossman said.  “I like playing for a team that has that much history and tradition and a fan base that cares that much and a coaching staff that is determined to get this thing right and an offense that I feel like suits me.  A dream scenario for me would be to go back there and play consistently and play the way that I always thought I could for a whole season.  That would be the dream scenario but I also know that I’ve got to do what’s best for myself and take the best opportunity that’s out there.  So we’ll see what happens March 13.”

Mentioning “the best opportunity that’s out there” implies that there’s another opportunity out there.  And it would be pretty out there to think that Grossman has another opportunity out there.  Or anywhere.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
52 Responses to “Rex Grossman wants to stay with the Redskins”
  1. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 15, 2012 6:25 PM

He can backup RG3.

2. emmac13 says: Feb 15, 2012 6:25 PM

He just doesn’t want to blow his salary on “Two men and a truck”.

3. capslockkey says: Feb 15, 2012 6:26 PM

Groundbreaking. As if he’ll be in such demand that it will matter if he wants to come back to the Redskins or not for them to be able to re-sign him.

4. vegaskid21 says: Feb 15, 2012 6:30 PM

That’s cause he knows nobody else would take him

5. MichaelEdits says: Feb 15, 2012 6:31 PM

If Rex Grossman is the answer, it must be a really stupid question.

6. dirtmcgirt24 says: Feb 15, 2012 6:32 PM

Like Tony Romo, he’ll one day be able to tell his kids how he beat the great Eli Manning twice in the year he won the Super Bowl. And then, also like Romo, he’ll get to explain he didn’t win much else.

7. orf14fire says: Feb 15, 2012 6:35 PM

As much as it bothers me to say this; I would not mind him as the back up. I am not a Rex fan by no means, but at least he moved the ball unlike Beck. Rg3 starting and Rex as his back up. Who knows rg3 might be able to develop Rex!!!! Wishful thinking I guess. Who am I kidding I have been a skins fan for 25 years. What they will probally do is trade all of our picks for Randy moss,Ochoa and t.o and beg mark brunnel to come Back. …hail to the skins. Jb from norfolk

8. waltdawg says: Feb 15, 2012 6:36 PM

I am not sold on this request…We need playmakers!!! Not has beens

9. destroyedbydansnyder says: Feb 15, 2012 6:37 PM

I was afraid this would happen……

10. dolphins4 says: Feb 15, 2012 6:38 PM

Kurt Coleman wants to see him remain with the Redskins.

11. mrcosio says: Feb 15, 2012 6:42 PM

Redskins don’t want you to stay Grossman

12. silverandblack052099 says: Feb 15, 2012 6:42 PM

Watch out UFL! Here comes Rex Grossman!

13. phillyrick22 says: Feb 15, 2012 6:45 PM

I do too!!! He completes a lot of passes to our DBs!!!

14. blacknole08 says: Feb 15, 2012 6:49 PM

He’s too inconsistent to be a starter in the NFL and makes too many bonehead throws to be taken seriously.

15. bucks12965 says: Feb 15, 2012 6:52 PM

He is a loser. He is quite satified with his mediocre to poor play. & almost everything that comes out of his mouth is loser talk.

A leader of a 5-11 team should be saying that it was an unacceptable season, not trying to say how good of a 5-11 team you were.

16. eaglessuperfan says: Feb 15, 2012 6:54 PM

He will be lucky to still be in the NFL

17. bluntsmokinskinsfan says: Feb 15, 2012 6:54 PM

I live in the DC area. It’s well known that Kyle and Rex are friends. There was a story on the radio about how they have matching tattoos. As much as I don’t like it, it’s not that much of a stretch for him to return to the team.

18. buc4life says: Feb 15, 2012 6:55 PM

This guy is delusional. It doesn’t surprise me though. He is a Gator.

19. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 15, 2012 6:55 PM

Rex, they’re gonna offer you a good sized pile of money to hold a clipboard and I hope you take it. I love your attitude, you just throw too many picks and you’re 4″ too short.

20. ortonwhiskeycrew says: Feb 15, 2012 6:56 PM

Obviously he wants to stay, because his next stop is throwing to TO in that arena league.

21. sadie753 says: Feb 15, 2012 7:00 PM

A dream scenario for me would be for Rodgers to be our starting QB with Brees serving as his back-up, and you starting for the NY Giants. However, we don’t always get what we want!

HTTR!

22. brenenostler says: Feb 15, 2012 7:01 PM

He said he wants to stay with the Redskins, not start.

23. dmvskins703 says: Feb 15, 2012 7:02 PM

Yes you want to be a redskin, it’s more like do we want you even on the team?!?

24. hwatt says: Feb 15, 2012 7:03 PM

After glancing at all 32 teams, I’ll say he’ll be signed at least as a backup somewhere. Assuming the Redskins offer him bottom-dollar, some team could come up with more backup-qb money.

He’s not going to be out of football until he permanently stays as Bad Rex or Delhomme-the later years. Sorry folks, that hasn’t happened (yet)

25. stepoffimdoingthehump says: Feb 15, 2012 7:14 PM

Both Grossman and Beck say the right things, too bad they both blow… time to be relevant again, we need a face for this franchise…

26. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Feb 15, 2012 7:26 PM

There aren’t that many back ups that have played in the playoffs let alone a Super Bowl. He’ll get signed on someplace and get a million a year for watching. Rex is not a starter. He can come in for short relief.

27. devinmr711 says: Feb 15, 2012 7:34 PM

Rex Grossman is one of the best “backups” in the NFL.

28. 6gunsal says: Feb 15, 2012 7:48 PM

Hey bluntsmokinskinsfan

Drop the blunt and get the story straight. The tats on Kyle’s leg is the initials of Chris Simms and 3 other guys that all played together at Texas.

29. blacknole08 says: Feb 15, 2012 8:01 PM

LOL I’m sure everyone remembers the game where Re Grossman threw 4 INTS in the MNF game vs the Cardinals in 2006, and the BEARS STILL WON! THE BEARS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!

Classic.

So if anything Rex is good for comic relief.

30. bc01red says: Feb 15, 2012 8:04 PM

As a giants fan I am seriously scared of Grossman, I hope the skins go elsewhere!

31. redskinspike says: Feb 15, 2012 8:13 PM

Redskins would be dumb not to re-sign him. He’s a veteran QB that knows this offense like the back of his hand. He can’t execute it, but he knows it. The Redskins are a rebuilding team, if they don’t get a FA QB then let Rex start for part of the year while whoever the QB the Skins drafted learns the offense. While Rex isn’t good, he still has a knowledge that he can pass on to the next franchise QB.

32. tluke25 says: Feb 15, 2012 8:18 PM

Gus Frerotte wants to stay with the Redskins too.

33. laeaglefan says: Feb 15, 2012 8:27 PM

The Eagles are going to sign Grossman as Mike Vick’s backup……which means that Grossman will see lots of playing time, with Vick’s injury history.

34. bennyd720 says: Feb 15, 2012 8:45 PM

The Headline should read, “Rex Grossman will struggle to stay in the league”

35. commandercornpone says: Feb 15, 2012 9:00 PM

well… maybe no one else will take him.

but they probly would have played better in the games beck played if… someone else had played.

wash would have won at least ONE of those 3. maybe 2.

put beck in after they were eliminated from playoff contention. which probly means for week 17 only. they lost that game anyway.

36. cuda1234 says: Feb 15, 2012 9:28 PM

Nice photo of Rexy by PFT. I bet if it was a Tebow story they would have found a studly photo, even though we all know ex-Gator Tebow will never have the career of ex-Gator Grossman.

Go Rex!
    Go Gators!

37. mikeyfresh25 says: Feb 15, 2012 9:44 PM

They talk about the big arm, accuracy, mobility; but what everyone forgets in a QB is- the ability to make good decisions and taking care of the football and Rex can not do either to save his life which is why he needs to be holding a clipboard.

38. yevrag3535 says: Feb 15, 2012 9:57 PM

Stay there or it is the unemployment line, you suck.

39. facelessman75 says: Feb 15, 2012 10:18 PM

based on history , if the redskins draft a QB Rex would be a good starter until the Drafted QB is ready. So if Rex goes 3-1 ..Oh Wait. Yeah Idk I like the Guy, but Im a redskins fan in Indiana.

BTW Please DONT DRAFT RG3 Noooo Anyone but him

40. mschurm1 says: Feb 15, 2012 11:22 PM

I see Rex starting for the Skins for many years to come.

41. boilerup1869 says: Feb 15, 2012 11:59 PM

Let me translate the title of this article for anyone who is simply taking it at face value:

“Rex Grossman will do anything to continue to receive an NFL paycheck, even if it means drudging on for the lowly Redskins”

42. mwcarolina says: Feb 16, 2012 1:03 AM

Grossman, a great backup, hope he has fun backing up whatever QB we bring in, if the Redskins are lucky, they get RG3, even if they have to trade up.

43. orcheon says: Feb 16, 2012 1:46 AM

I’m Sexy Rex Grossman and I love to throw the ball long.

44. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 16, 2012 5:22 AM

By the way, Rex has more playoff wins than Tony Romo…..

45. geniusesq says: Feb 16, 2012 6:47 AM

Rex Grossman = RG3Sacks, RG3Ints

46. brj1212 says: Feb 16, 2012 7:14 AM

I think Rex will be a fantastic BACKUP QB for us. He knows the system and has shown that he can win a few games. He creates too many turnovers to be consistent as a starter but if my starter goes down for a half or a game im perfectly fine with REX coming in for a game.

47. 7to10for6allday says: Feb 16, 2012 7:37 AM

Rex is barely a good back up. Shannahan should be fired for that decision alone but obviously the owner being Snyder, he don’t know any better. From this eagles fan, keep doing what you’re doing.

48. Always On Slightly Off says: Feb 16, 2012 8:01 AM

Can we get serious here !?!

49. greatdanton77 says: Feb 16, 2012 8:01 AM

I’d rather dig up Sammy Baugh to be honest with you….

50. boysroll says: Feb 16, 2012 8:30 AM

thats great to hear as that secures this poorly run org for last place again for the 5th yr in a row….shanny n co have who make all the decisions and have been giving everything they want and need are 1 game worse than zorn who had no say in anything and no control…..BTW…grossy has more wins than romo on another team dopey. lmao.

what does that tell us? I am so glad my boys didnt take these knuckleheads to our proud org as they are where they belong…soon to be added to the unemployment numbers next year…LMAO.

51. baddorange says: Feb 16, 2012 8:53 AM

Both Shanahans stink.
    Grossman has 2 chances
    Slim and None and they both left town. That whole organization from Snyder to hot dog vendors needs to go

52. redskinsroost says: Feb 16, 2012 10:33 PM

“Jeff George, please pick up the nearest white courtesy telephone.”