Another colorful NFL player that dominated headlines last decade wants to return to the league.
NFL.com’s Steve Wyche reports that Clinton Portis wants to play football again. His agent has already heard from a few interested teams and plans to meet with them at the Combine.
Don’t call it a comeback just yet. It’s not like Portis chose to retire last year. He worked out for six teams and no one signed him to a contract. After one workout, he was reportedly said to be in poor shape.
Portis told Wyche that he struggled with the idea of playing last year because he was “heartbroken” after getting released by the Redskins. But that doesn’t match up with his actions last year. Last August, Portis spread the word he was willing to pay his own way just to get to workouts.
“I’m ready to go back, ready to work things out and I’m open to idea of going out to prove that I can still play,” Portis said Thursday.
Perhaps Portis will get a test drive in training camp somewhere, but it didn’t happen for him last year. It sounds like he’s taking the Randy Moss approach and using a quiet time in the NFL news cycle to get some attention.
The next step: PortisTV on UStream.