Condon: Relationship with Pats won’t get in way of Lloyd deal

St. Louis Rams v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Brandon Lloyd said at the end of last season that he’d like to play for Josh McDaniels, wherever McDaniels landed in 2012.

“I can’t even lie about that,” Lloyd told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m tied to McDaniels. He uses me differently than other offensive coordinators used me in my entire career. . . . I want to be used in ways where I feel comfortable and I can be successful and Josh knows how to do that.”

McDaniels, of course, has since landed in New England. The Patriots could desperately use a player like Lloyd that makes plays on the outside. It seems like a perfect match.

The only potential problem: Lloyd’s agent Tom Condon hasn’t directly done a deal with the Patriots since 2006, when the two sides battled over Ben Watson’s rookie negotiation.

“We pretend there are 31 franchises in the NFL now and they pretend we don’t exist,” Condon once famously said.

The ice has thawed over the years. The Patriots have several CAA clients on the roster, even if they don’t deal with Condon directly. (CAA is Condon’s company.) Condon says the relationship won’t get in the way of a deal.

“I may never like them and they may never like me, but I appreciate that they’re smart guys who usually get what they want. I usually get what I want, too, and what I want is what my client wants,” Condon told Ron Borges of the Boston Herald for Thursday’s paper.

And what does Lloyd want?

“He’d like to be with Josh,” Condon said. “He’d also like to get paid. I think he’ll be a player teams will be interested in.”

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Condon: Relationship with Pats won’t get in way of Lloyd deal”
  1. eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 16, 2012 10:46 AM

This would be a great move for the pats for sure.

2. beecee71 says: Feb 16, 2012 10:51 AM

I don’t know why he would want to go to the pats. they will sign him. then trade him for draft picks. Then trade those draft picks for more draft picks until the pats finally obtain their goal of owning every draft pick in an entire draft.

3. djstat says: Feb 16, 2012 10:51 AM

this story sums up why the business side of football sucks

4. ampats says: Feb 16, 2012 10:52 AM

Classic ! Tom Condon speaks to Ron Borges who most Patriots fans consider at the same level as John Tomase.

Welcome to New England Brandon Lloyd !

5. skeefe1976 says: Feb 16, 2012 10:56 AM

Let’s all be big boys and get a deal done. Best for all sides involved.

6. rc33 says: Feb 16, 2012 10:58 AM

This should be interesting.
    A couple of heavy hitters that don’t get along.

Still, from New England’s standpoint, there are lots of options in this free agent WR class, along with a very strong draft class at that position as well.
    My guess is Condon and Lloyd will get better offers than what the Patriots will propose.

7. joe3001 says: Feb 16, 2012 11:14 AM

That battle with Tom Condon over Watson’s rookie deal (If I recall, Patriots wanted an extra year in the deal that Condon wouldn’t do) was actually back in 2004, not 2006.

Which makes it even crazier how long the 2 sides have no done business.

8. hendawg21 says: Feb 16, 2012 11:20 AM

Oh come people now why does every player feel a need to want to go play for the Patriots now? Their run is over, sure they won the AFC East and the AFC championship but lets get real they have flaws and the best has already come and gone…but go ahead and go there see what it gets you!!!! Look at all the players who’ve flocked there since 03 thinking they would finally get a super bowl ring only to fall short…

9. marima07 says: Feb 16, 2012 11:23 AM

Leave it to Borges to present the angle of whichever side sticks it to the Patriots the hardest. Gotta love the hometown press.

10. skolvikesskol says: Feb 16, 2012 11:28 AM

Im not impressed by the patriot way… They had great talent, especially on d when they won the superbowls. They think they can outsmart talent and always go cheap. All the while the owner makes millions. Well u get what u pay for and thats y the pats come up just short in their most recent sb loses. It not about the xs and os… Its about tthe billy and the joes.. Time to open up the purse strings – just a little – and get that little bit bit of talent to make them a dynasty again. However, they shld really focus their attention to the defense.

11. kingpel says: Feb 16, 2012 11:28 AM

As a Ram fan, I thought Lloyd may have been a bit overrated coming in from Denver, but now I am a believer. He catches anything that is thrown near him. I think with a QB like Brady, this guy has the potential to be one of the best.

12. bubba9er says: Feb 16, 2012 11:29 AM

I hate the fact that Brandon Lloyd was a 49er for a few years and didn’t make any noise. He snuck up (seemingly) out of nowhere and is now one of the better WRs in the league. Dangit! Now I wish he had just stuck with us. We really need a WR that can get open.

13. vicktator says: Feb 16, 2012 11:31 AM

The funniest part is that Condon played for the Pats.

14. bigjdve says: Feb 16, 2012 11:31 AM

Isn’t this considered tampering?

I mean outright telling everyone that there is a deal to be had, that can’t be right.

15. homelanddefense says: Feb 16, 2012 11:31 AM

Borges is a clown with an obvious agenda. Everyone from the New England area hates him.

16. rc33 says: Feb 16, 2012 11:33 AM

It really is amazing they’ve avoided each other all these years, considering how many noteworthy players CAA reps. In the Watson situation, Condon wanted a 5 year deal, the Patriots wanted a 6 year rookie deal. Watson ended up firing Condon and giving the Patriots what they wanted. If it makes Condon feel any better, Watson was pretty much a bust in N.E.
    I could see Lloyd taking less to play with the Patriots. How much less is the $64.00 question.

17. bragerber says: Feb 16, 2012 11:45 AM

Only one problem- Tom Brady can’t throw it down the field accurately.

18. weepingjebus says: Feb 16, 2012 11:45 AM

“He uses me differently than other offensive coordinators used me in my entire career. . . . I want to be used in ways where I feel comfortable and I can be successful and Josh knows how to do that”

This sounds like a belated Valentine’s Day post.

19. nfl1818 says: Feb 16, 2012 11:46 AM

It is interesting that Condon and Borges came together for this article – neither one exists in NE.

Really odd that people want to come to NE “Their run is over, sure they won the AFC East and the AFC championship but lets get real they have flaws ”

yup they have 4 flaws and each one will get fixed w/ WR one of them – pretty sure some WR would think it pretty cool to play with an allpro QB, an allpro slot WR, an alllpro TE, and another top 10 TE

20. marcuswelby70 says: Feb 16, 2012 11:49 AM

marima07 says:
    Feb 16, 2012 11:23 AM

——————————————-

Borges has never been able to deal with the fact that BB won’t give the press what it wants…nor should he.
    Borges’ best days are way, way behind him!

21. ballergac says: Feb 16, 2012 11:49 AM

Lloyd would be a nice addition. But the lack of a big strong wr for the Pats hurt them. No deep threat either. But if they can pick up Lloyd and either draft a big wr or sign one. Doesn’t have to be a big star. Maybe a Plax. A Chaz Schilens. Or hey isn’t Vincent Jackson out there? That would be a coup.. they just need someone to keep the defense honest while they work underneath to Welker. Gronk and Hernandez.

22. cannonballdookie says: Feb 16, 2012 11:50 AM

skolvikesskol says: Feb 16, 2012 11:28 AM

————————————–

Well said, just hearing the term “The Patroit Way” makes me want to barf. They are obviously a very good team and they are competitive each year but they are starting to get away from the formula that got them rings.

BB can’t expect to keep turning water into wine with every untouted draft pick and undrafted FA, they need to take advantage of their window and add some finishing touches to a roster that is championship caliber. Enough with the trading down of picks, maybe trade up and get a game changer.

Also, I feel like they are slowly becoming the Indianapolis Colts of the past. They would always beat Indy when they were a simple team who played strong defense and played great clutch ball, but now they are an offensive juggernaut that’s built perfectly for the regular season but gets bounced out in playoffs when they aren’t scoring 30+ a game. They got away from what won them rings, but I guess it’s hard to argue with the SB appearances.

23. pftcensorssuck says: Feb 16, 2012 11:53 AM

Not a “fairweather fan” by any stretch, but I just can’t get excited about my Pats right now ….. that was a very flat Super Bowl for us.

24. tedmurph says: Feb 16, 2012 11:53 AM

Not sure I’m too excited about this one. Lloyd’s beeen in the league 9yrs and only has >700yds receiving twice, with only one big yr. Gotta be a reason he’s been with 5 different teams. Have to wonder what will happen when he gets his money.

25. theandy59 says: Feb 16, 2012 12:02 PM

Tampering? Lloyd is a free agent. You can’t “tamper” with a free agent; tampering only applies to players under contract with another team.

Players want to play in New England because they know they’ll have a chance to win every year. It doesn’t always work out, but they’re almost always in the discussion. If Gronkowski doesn’t have that ankle sprain, maybe they win this past Super Bowl. That’s football – all you want is a chance.

The Pats are always in the discussion because of Brady and Belichick. I think the other reason players like it here is because the only thing that matters is winning. The players that give them the best chance to win every week play, rather than players that may have been drafted higher or signed to big money deals. Ochocinco got paid $6 million this year, but he hardly saw the field because there were better options – players see that and they love it.

26. bostonbornandbred says: Feb 16, 2012 12:03 PM

hendawg21 says:
    Feb 16, 2012 11:20 AM

did you actually read the article? Brandon Lloyd said he wanted to go play for Mcdaniels and Mcdaniels is in New England… its pretty simple… This isnt some random Post that Rosenthal put claiming everyone wants to play in New England.. thats what Lloyd said…

Oh and the Patriots last won the superbowl in the 04 season… so any free agents who “flocked there” in 03 and 04 actually won a superbowl….

And finally, yes the Patriots are 0-2 in superbowls in the past 7 seasons and its heartbreaking that they lost.. but between superbowls 36-46 they’ve played in 5 of them.. ill take that ratio any day of the week .

27. skinsrock says: Feb 16, 2012 12:29 PM

Good… Maybe they’ll think LLoyd is the answer… when the real play makers are there for the taking come Free Agency… mainly Dwayne Bowe, Colston, V Jax, & Reggie Wayne.

28. 6ball says: Feb 16, 2012 12:30 PM

Option 1. If Condon’s relationship with the Patriots is strained, why not recuse himself and let an associate handle the talks with NE ?

Option 2. Make it about Tom Condon, the victim. If things are “complicated “, it’s because you and mega tool Ron Borges made it that way.

Luckily for Lloyd I’m not the Pat’s GM. My response would be, ” we have no interest in players with baggage. ” Condon is nothing but baggage.

29. bencoates57 says: Feb 16, 2012 12:31 PM

There are other free agency options with Vincent Jackson and Randy Moss. I personally would take, if he were available, Jabar Gaffney over all these guys. Gaffney, now with the Redskins, was clutch for Brady. I remember that flea flicker bomb to Gaffney that embarrassed the Steelers in the “guarantee game,” the catch that won the game against the Ravens and preserved the undefeated season, the third down spearing of a high bullet in the back of the end zone to re-take the lead — though briefly — in the AFCCG.

30. bencoates57 says: Feb 16, 2012 12:35 PM

The best has not come and gone in New England, you idiot. People said this after they lost SB 42. Since then they earned the number 1 seed in the AFC in 2010 AND 2011 and came within a few seconds of winning a SB they should have put away minutes earlier — all with a blue chip defense that suffered unbelievable misfortune all year and should be solid next year. By your logic the only teams these players should consider playing for are those which have won SBs in the last 4 years: the Steelers, Saints, Packers, and Giants. That’s a small target.

31. mjdkid100 says: Feb 16, 2012 12:40 PM

cannonballdookie says: Feb 16, 2012 11:50 AM

skolvikesskol says: Feb 16, 2012 11:28 AM

————————————–

————————————-

Are you two idiots on drugs?

They’ve gone 14-2 and 13-3 the last two years with multiple drafted Free Agents. Its not easy to win the Super bowl, 31 other teams didnt win either.

They have 4 draft picks in the first 2 rounds and a ton of cap space. I like the Patriot way. Look for them to make big moves as Brady’s career only has a few years left.

32. neilpountney says: Feb 16, 2012 12:55 PM

+++++++++++++++++

I understand fans of some teams wishing to bash another it is part of the game but surely in your infinite wisdom you have noticed the game has changed somewhat in that time. This team was possibly a single play away from winning the Super Bowl so it seems to me they get it!!!!

33. rc33 says: Feb 16, 2012 1:00 PM

Patriots made it to the Super Bowl with a defense that, in all honesty, had no business being in the Super Bowl.
    So now they’re washed up?
    As it stands, they’re $20 million under the cap and have 4 picks in the first two rounds. Also the return of some young high draft picks (Vareen, Cunningham, Ras-I Dowling) that were either injured or not in the mix last season.
    Bottom line, they’ve got at least five quality young pieces to a defense in place right now; Wilfork, Spikes, Mayo, Chung & McCourtey. And the D did significantly improve after Spikes & Chung returned for the postseason last season.

What they really need, and haven’t had for 2+ seasons, is a defense that’s capable of getting off the field on 3rd down.

34. gator2006 says: Feb 16, 2012 1:00 PM

I wouldn’t quite call them a “blue chip defense”

35. CKL says: Feb 16, 2012 1:12 PM

I’d rather have Eddie Royal. I think he could be a younger version of Deion Branch.

One thing I am always certain of is that grudge or no grudge, BB will do what he thinks is best for the team. I mean Law cried to the press about how BB was a liar, had a poisonous agent (or did with Poston at that time) and BB was still talking to him every time he was FA about coming back. Law also considers himself a Patriot as do other guys who played for other teams who left with bad feelings like Lawyer Milloy.

36. sj39 says: Feb 16, 2012 1:27 PM

What the Pats really need is Tim Tebow. Maybe Josh will find a way to get him.

37. crucifixkiss says: Feb 16, 2012 1:33 PM

mjdkid100

30 other teams didn’t win it. The Giants did.

38. rc33 says: Feb 16, 2012 1:40 PM

gator2006 says: Feb 16, 2012 1:00 PM

I wouldn’t quite call them a “blue chip defense”

—————————————

It’s not there yet but definitely going in the right direction.
    I live in Houston. Compare the Texans defense in 2010 vs. the 2011 Texans D we saw last season (2nd overall).
    No comparison. At all.
    Assuming you have some pieces in place, teams can turn it around in one off season.
    They need a pass rusher, DL depth and some cover CB’s, one of which certainly could be Dowling.

39. trubroncfan07 says: Feb 16, 2012 2:33 PM

Does not seem like a Patriot to me. He will be crying in a minute when Brady is throwing the ball to Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker. Lloyde needs a high volume of plays to be successful.

40. xli2006 says: Feb 16, 2012 2:45 PM

Is Lloyd the one playing or Condon? If I were a player, I’d tell my agent to knock that garbage out and get me a deal wherever I want to play if possible. Condon’s strained relationships shouldn’t impact his players.

Note: Condon is also Manning’s agent. I’d like to know who pushed for such a terribly constructed contract last Spring.