A Monday Night Football poll you won’t see on ESPN.com

Jon Gruden, Charles Haley AP

In response to our item from this morning regarding Mike Tirico’s take on the prodemotion of Ron Jaworski from Monday Night Football, a reader recommended that we fashion a poll that gives PFT Planet a chance to sound off on the sounds that will be emanating from their televisions while watching ESPN games this season.

And so, since there isn’t a whole lot else going on today, we decided to give it a whirl.

Cast your vote below on whether you agree with the move.  Since “yes” and “no” seemed to be too simplistic, we added a couple of additional options.

“Bring back Joe Theismann” almost made the cut.

By the way, that’s Charles Haley in the photo with Gruden.  Feel free to suggest a caption in the comments.

It’s Friday afternoon.  What the hell else are you doing?  Working?

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
52 Responses to “A Monday Night Football poll you won’t see on ESPN.com”
  1. sterilizecromartie says: Feb 17, 2012 1:32 PM

Where is the “Replace Tirico with Dennis Miller” vote?

2. sterilizecromartie says: Feb 17, 2012 1:33 PM

Gruden: “Is that a baseball bat in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”

3. ytnewton says: Feb 17, 2012 1:35 PM

Gruden sucks!

4. mikewasserson says: Feb 17, 2012 1:35 PM

How about “No, and this is a failed poll which could have been made much funnier than the options provided.”

5. machester52 says: Feb 17, 2012 1:35 PM

Where’s is the “Replace them all with John Madden and Pat Summerall” vote?

6. permiepoo says: Feb 17, 2012 1:36 PM

I chose “No” because there wasn’t an option for “They should have removed both Gruden and Jaworski.”

7. cowboyfan45 says: Feb 17, 2012 1:36 PM

where is the selection, GET RID OF ALL THREE!!

8. genericscreenname says: Feb 17, 2012 1:37 PM

These guys blather to much. Someone needs to tell them that it’s supposed to be about the game, not them and their opinions on everything. Quite frankly, they are more of a distraction than anything else.

9. hardpeaches says: Feb 17, 2012 1:38 PM

I’m sorry but has everyone at PFT not watched a MNF game the past few years?

Jaws is just a cartoon who offers little to no analysis of the game. Tirico is a homeless man’s Joe Buck and Jon Gruden’s “aw shucks” sensibilities mixed with his ego is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

The product has been broken for over a decade, dumping one subpar component isn’t going to make much of a difference.

10. chazzmichaelmichaels says: Feb 17, 2012 1:38 PM

Haters… Jaws was ok, analysis good, deliver was cheesy. I agree. Mike and Gruden are fine. I don’t tune in for the commentary anyway.

11. 49erstim says: Feb 17, 2012 1:40 PM

I found Jaworski to be entertaining. He is a very knowledgeable guy. He has a genuine passion for the game.

The way Gruden gushes over every player is horrendous. We all saw him when he was a coach. He was an Ahole. Didn’t he once question Chris Simms’ toughness after he ruptured his spleen and continued to play through it?

Tirico…. Never been a fan. When he was on the radio he was annoying. He is sooo out of touch with the listenership.

Jaws will be missed.

12. derfshambeaux says: Feb 17, 2012 1:41 PM

Clean house, bring in Gary Busey to do the color commentary and get Chumlee from Pawn Stars to do the play-by-play. Put it on the board. Championship.

13. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Feb 17, 2012 1:41 PM

I’m sorry but the three of them were awful and the two left will be just as bad. I can’t watch Monday Night Football unless my team is playing thanks to these guys. ESPN is just complete trash these days.

14. yelix says: Feb 17, 2012 1:43 PM

Bring back Dennis Miller?

15. thefiesty1 says: Feb 17, 2012 1:48 PM

I watch the games. It doesn’t matter who the commentators are yapping on and on about as long as it’s not that naselly Aikman droning on and on.

16. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Feb 17, 2012 1:48 PM

“By the way, that’s Charles Haley in the photo with Gruden. Feel free to suggest a caption in the comments.”

Charles:Gruden, come on man…you have to see it. Yeh, I whip it out everywhere I go.

Gruden:Charles, you scare me and everyone else. You are crazy and that’s why you’re not in the Hall of Fame.

17. realitypolice says: Feb 17, 2012 1:50 PM

“Charles Haley, YOU SIR are the greatest retired linebacker in the HISTORY of the NFL. No other retired linebacker in the world is not playing better than you. You set the standard for being a retired linebacker. They shouldn’t even call it ‘being retired’, they should call it being HALEYED”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Feb 17, 2012 1:51 PM

Wow 73% said didn’t agree with decision. It’s hard to get 73% of people to agree on anything.
    Maybe if Jaws had just worn some real men’s glasses he’d still be on the show…

19. riverhorsey says: Feb 17, 2012 1:52 PM

Trying to figure out a where a U.S. guy can play online satellites and win a trip to the World Series Of Poker this year. That’s what i’m doing.

20. okieviacal says: Feb 17, 2012 1:54 PM

Does anyone actually watch MNF? Sunday Ticket has given us all Football ADHD and I for one can’t stand not being able to flip to a more interesting game.

21. kegowhisky says: Feb 17, 2012 1:55 PM

There has to “the rest of the story” that Tirico alluded to and didn’t share. That’s the part I want to hear – what REALLY happened.

22. rameyag says: Feb 17, 2012 1:58 PM

A two-man booth is better than a three-man booth, but by the 2013 neither Tirico or Gruden will be in the MNF booth. There was little chemistry between Tirico and either Gruden or Jaworski. There was mostly tension and little chemistry between Gruden and Jaworski. This season will not only lack the chemistry, but also lack the tension. Tirico will be moved to other sports where his subdued approach is a better fit and some team will take a flier on Gruden. ESPN will then start “fresh” with a new two-man booth in 2013. The fun will be between now and then speculating on who that will be. In the end, however, if the announcers are bad, like most fans, I just ignore them anyway.

23. biglebronski says: Feb 17, 2012 2:01 PM

I’m fine with whatever as long as I don’t have to see or hear a Gumbel on any NFL broadcast.

24. east96st says: Feb 17, 2012 2:01 PM

How about “No announcers at all and live feed from players microphones” like we get with the NFL films “Mic’d up” series? I would take that over ANY announcing crew in heartbeat.

25. metalhead65 says: Feb 17, 2012 2:10 PM

why not bring back Joe? it could be worse,we could have to watch you on it!

26. 44mpo says: Feb 17, 2012 2:15 PM

X 10

27. PFTiswhatitis says: Feb 17, 2012 2:19 PM

Jaws is a blowhard. I’m glad he is out.

28. promickey says: Feb 17, 2012 2:25 PM

ESPN executives and producers obviously feel that Gruden is more entertaining than Jaws. I think Gruden knows more B. S. ESPN might want to explore two in the booth and a guest every Monday night.

29. whatnojets says: Feb 17, 2012 2:39 PM

Caption to read:

“Why didn’t you ever let me play for you? You know I love you!”

30. coolheir says: Feb 17, 2012 2:41 PM

Personally, I never felt Jaws and Gruden meshed well. Gruden’s strong personality and opinionated style completely over-shadowed Jaws’ presence in the booth in my opinion.
    The only 3 man team I’ve ever liked was Gifford, Meredith and Cosell. Everyone since have been poor imitators.

31. klunge says: Feb 17, 2012 2:46 PM

Caption: “No, John Gruden! Please don’t make me do THAT again!”

32. latrobe21 says: Feb 17, 2012 2:47 PM

Caption should be “Is that all the bigger it is? Hahahahahahahahahah!”

33. timjahr says: Feb 17, 2012 2:50 PM

Honestly, anything that’s not the old Theisman/3-man booth, or any booth with John Madden after about 1995 (when he stopped paying attention and just started repeating the same schtick for years) is good enough to be tolerable for me.

34. fwippel says: Feb 17, 2012 2:53 PM

Will some team PULL-LLEASE hire Gruden so we don’t have to listen to him in the booth anymore?

35. latrobe21 says: Feb 17, 2012 2:58 PM

Too bad all you young bucks never had the pleasure of hearing Ray Scott broadcast a game, particularly a Packers/Cowboys or LA Rams/Packers playoff game. You would understand what a true professional broadcaster is.

36. Nevis says: Feb 17, 2012 3:03 PM

I am flabbergasted that so many people actually lement this move.

Jaws is bland, un-charismatic, and rarely offered any analysis worth noting.

MNF has been a sinking ship ever since ESPN took it over.

37. enilsson2 says: Feb 17, 2012 3:06 PM

Yes, I agree. And, they also should have canned Gruden! How come that wasn’t an option?

That ESPN crew is unbearable. The funny thing is that the NFL has such a great product that there is no usable marketing data. People will watch this (as I do) no matter who’s talking over it.

38. themonster49 says: Feb 17, 2012 3:07 PM

Caption for the picture:

“Oh no he’s touching me again.”

Probably just bad picture timing, but that looks like a painful smile.

39. satanphoenix says: Feb 17, 2012 3:14 PM

You missed the “bring back Paul Maguire” option

40. steelerhypocrite says: Feb 17, 2012 3:40 PM

1 vote for Rae Carruth…

41. larrydavid7000 says: Feb 17, 2012 3:42 PM

I’ll take Jack Buck and Hank Stram any day those guys can call a game.Today’s play by play and analyst SUCKS.!!!!!!!!!

42. raiders757 says: Feb 17, 2012 5:38 PM

Where’s the option for “should the NFL pull MNF from BSPN, and disallow them to broadcast anything NFL, including game highlights”? I’ll vote for that option in a heartbeat.

43. Deb says: Feb 17, 2012 5:41 PM

Because football is so popular, broadcasters have a captive audience and we’re stuck with what they give us. I’d love to say I’ll stop watching now that it will be all Gruden. But I won’t. He often makes me want to drive an ice pick into my ears … but on Monday nights, ESPN is the only game in town. On the bright side … anything, anything is better than Tony Kornheiser.

44. pecosbob says: Feb 17, 2012 5:45 PM

Can we exhume Howard Cosell? He’d be better dead than Jaworski or Gruden or Dennis Miller, ad infinitum. I usually find I have to turn the sound down and listen to a radio broadcast of the game. At least on radio the announcer is forced to talk about the game once in a while…

45. raiders757 says: Feb 17, 2012 5:46 PM

hardpeaches says: Feb 17, 2012 1:38 PM

I’m sorry but has everyone at PFT not watched a MNF game the past few years?

——————————

Why bother? The match-ups stink, and ESPN blows. MNF was ruined the second it went to ESPN, so there’s no reason to watch it unless your favorite team happens to be playing in the game.

46. ryantholdeman says: Feb 17, 2012 6:07 PM

ESPN is doing such a tremendous job delivering knowledgeable insightful commentary these days. Particularly around QBs and the passing game. I’ve generally been impressed that they make that insight accessible to the common fan, however, reading the overly dramatic negative comments here, I’m starting to think they aren’t connecting with the common fan who doesn’t actually know much about football. Jaws is a football/QB nerd and I’ll miss my MNF viewing benefitting from his nerdiness.

47. fmwarner says: Feb 17, 2012 6:45 PM

Choosing between Jaws and Gruden and keeping Gruden is like keeping Garfunkel or Messina or Oates.

48. TD Hawk says: Feb 17, 2012 6:48 PM

I cannot imagine Tirico is happy to be stuck in the booth by himself with Gruden. For example, Tirico seems to have actually read the rule book, proves on-air he knows more about that than the former coach who inherited a Super Bowl team.

49. jrspike says: Feb 17, 2012 7:09 PM

Jaws was screwed

50. backindasaddle says: Feb 17, 2012 8:13 PM

Gruden’s thinking: Please Dear God!!!……Don’t let Charles start strokin it here next to me on National TV!!!

51. bjtmeyer says: Feb 17, 2012 10:01 PM

I know most of you don’t like today’s announcers compared to announcers in the past, but you have to admit that Al Michaels is probably the best today that we have. SNF blows MNF out of the water. I dont know where to rank TNF because I can’t afford the NFL network.

52. gibbskins9 says: Feb 18, 2012 8:29 AM

Jaworski is the fall guy when the real issue is how inept Tirico is as the play by play guy. This guy should lose his job he is HORRIBLE