Adrian Peterson plans to start running by the end of the month

Minnesota Vikings v Washington Redskins Getty Images

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson says he’s making significant progress after having surgery on December 30 to repair a torn ACL.

Peterson said he expects to start running on February 28 and is satisfied with how far he has come.

I’m definitely making improvement. I’m starting to get my muscle tone and strength back into the legs,” Peterson told Paul Allen on KFAN, via Scout.com. “I’m happy with the progress I’ve made so far. I’m extremely happy.”

Peterson said he is working hard — but not too hard — with his physical therapist in Houston.

“He’s making sure I’m doing the right things. It feels strong, but he doesn’t want me to push it too much,” Peterson said.

Peterson is hoping to be ready for the start of the season, which would mean a recovery time of a little more than eight months.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Adrian Peterson plans to start running by the end of the month”
  1. whatnojets says: Feb 17, 2012 12:20 PM

Is he jogging with Peyton Manning?

2. rmiller517 says: Feb 17, 2012 12:20 PM

Brutal injury, but AP is a beast. If anybody will work hard to get back, its him.

3. ninefingers9 says: Feb 17, 2012 12:23 PM

AP…the toughest, most determined player in the league!

4. frankgarrett says: Feb 17, 2012 12:25 PM

why is he this anxious to get back with a team who doesn’t know how to use him . win with him and fail on all other levels of the NFL

5. themonster49 says: Feb 17, 2012 12:25 PM

Good luck Adrian Peterson. I’m rooting for seeing you on the field again. Nobody is currently like you.

After they aired that short special during the season (was it during a game?) about Adrian Peterson and why he decided to focus on becoming the greatest athlete in the game, I took a good look at his body’s condition and his movements on the field. That guy is the real deal.

6. sportsmeccabi says: Feb 17, 2012 12:25 PM

So much for Peyton being a lock for comeback player of the year.

7. sportsreporterusa says: Feb 17, 2012 12:30 PM

How can you not admire the heart, character and determination of AD. He’s already running?

This guy is a true warrior who deserves to get a shot to play and win a Super Bowl.

Keep on working AD. We’ll see you on Opening Day.

8. orakpownd says: Feb 17, 2012 12:35 PM

Fletch.

9. frankdatank23 says: Feb 17, 2012 12:38 PM

wow, it looked like his knee was destroyed on that hit. here’s hoping he’s back to 100 % come september.

10. kwoodc says: Feb 17, 2012 12:39 PM

Cue comments from every fantasy football nerd on this site…

11. kilo0986 says: Feb 17, 2012 12:44 PM

Man this dude, iron man for sure

12. oranjellojones says: Feb 17, 2012 12:48 PM

Good for AP, it’s a tough road no doubt. I feel simpatico with him to a degree. I blew mine out (nasty turfmonster!) as well as tearing both the medial and anterior edges of my meniscus and had Surgery on Jan 11. I can identify with having to hold back…when the muscle finally starts to regenerate it’s awful tough to not work it. I can only imagine how much worse it’d be if I was a professional athlete in my prime.

One thing on being “100%” though…I think the biggest reason it takes these guys 2 years to recover is the degree of atrophy that takes place in the muscles, especially the quad. It’s literally stunning and takes much longer to regenerate than the tendons do to recover. If he’s anywhere near his old self in 8 months then he’s literally a man among boys. I’m on the same recovery rate at this stage he is (I’ll be running by first week of March) and although I’ll certainly be running and even racing again by this fall, running like I was before the blowout, no way, it’ll take months more to get to that level again.

13. contra74 says: Feb 17, 2012 12:53 PM

frankgarrett says:
    Feb 17, 2012 12:25 PM
    ——
    He does it for the same reason you go to your worthless 9 to 5 (are you employed!?) except he makes a lot more than you.

14. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Feb 17, 2012 12:56 PM

When they make the movie about his life, this is the part where they do the musical montage of him going through his rehab. At the end of the montage, he’ll be running full speed past a guy who clicks his stopwatch and pumps his fist. The movie ends with Adrian holding the Super Bowl MVP trophy while embracing Leslie Frazier.

15. ajcard929 says: Feb 17, 2012 12:57 PM

man took me 4 months to start running after my surgery – but i tore acl, mcl and meniscus

ap is a monster

16. tombradyallday says: Feb 17, 2012 1:00 PM

best back in the business

17. bullcharger says: Feb 17, 2012 1:10 PM

ACL tears clearly aren’t the career killers they once were. Look what Welker did a few years ago missing only one playoff game with an ACL and then back for the start of the next season. With the fitness AP has I would think he’ll be back to start the season.

18. mclovin07 says: Feb 17, 2012 1:18 PM

Good for AP. Guy is a class act.

19. chowface86 says: Feb 17, 2012 1:31 PM

And with this Lorenzo Booker is off to the IFL.

20. canadianvikingfaniii says: Feb 17, 2012 1:46 PM

This is great news! Nothing hurt more during that dreadful season than watching Adrian Peterson be lost for the rest of the season. It was heartbreaking for the guy, he constantly just plays flat out like the game should be played. Through good and bad teams.

Hell if he wasn’t injured and in the pro bowl he would have been the only reason to watch.

Good luck AP, hope to see you at 100%.

21. ruvelligwebuike says: Feb 17, 2012 1:49 PM

The Vikings organization is a joke, but I have to admit I really like this guy. He’s an absolute monster. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy run that hard in my life.

22. johnnycash19 says: Feb 17, 2012 2:09 PM

Running? Maybe straight line, but no cutting or anything, even then its a stretch. You’re not suppose to do any straight line running/jogging until 12 weeks after surgery because the graft still has to get strong enough. Unless Peterson heals faster than the normal person, I don’t think is going to happen. Maybe by mid March.

23. TeamBalco says: Feb 17, 2012 3:43 PM

He’s still commands a first round trade value.

24. athleticmedic says: Feb 17, 2012 3:51 PM

Pretty darn hard to comment on the situation without knowing specifics…jogging in a straight line is biomechanically easy on the ACL so that is my guess as to what he will be doing at the end of the month. Quite possibly on a gym floor to start (don’t have to worry about uneven terrain)…the 12 week “rule” is constantly being challenged, especially in high end athletes..

Good Luck AP!

25. blaz0037 says: Feb 17, 2012 4:16 PM

—————————————-

Bitter much?

26. eyeamlegend says: Feb 17, 2012 4:32 PM

Good Luck AP. Question though: How is he gonna be back for the season but they’re saying Mendenhall is out the ENTIRE year, did Rashard tear ACL & MCL?

27. dabreesknees says: Feb 17, 2012 4:44 PM

Wow it’s quite a rarity to see that ALL the comments about a specific individual are positive. Great guy.

28. pitt4059 says: Feb 17, 2012 5:00 PM

No way he’s ready 100% for the start of the season. No running back with that kind of injury that late in the season would be ready by the first game. I don’t care what Wes Welker did, he’s not taking the kind of punishment a RB takes. At best, he’s a part time player at some point next season. He’s only fooling himself thinking he’s on track to be 100% at the start of 2012.

Sorry for being honest!

29. dbellina says: Feb 17, 2012 5:02 PM

Do I really need to state the obvious that Adrian Peterson is the man?

30. bzeller says: Feb 17, 2012 5:44 PM

Right Dr, Pitt……AP probably best athlete in the NFL and you know all this how ???

31. athleticmedic says: Feb 17, 2012 6:14 PM

@pitt4059

Once again, it’s difficult to comment on specifics without being on the inside…

@eyeamlegend

AP tore both the ACL and the MCL…I wonder if the difference between AP and Mendenhall might be a meniscal repair, which may be the reason Mendenhall is out all year though I don’t know for sure…there must be more damage with Mendenhall is my guess

32. axespray says: Feb 17, 2012 7:28 PM

Dude should do it in Russia and start bench pressing trees or something, Rocky IV style!

33. illogic87 says: Feb 18, 2012 11:00 AM

I listened to the interview live and I didnt hear him say anywhere in it that he plans on runnings by the end of the month.