Anthony Shadid was a Packers fan to the end

Handout of two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Shadid, one of four New York Times journalists, who had been captured by Libyan forces while covering the conflict there, posing at the Turkish embassy in Tripoli Reuters

The journalism world is mourning Anthony Shadid, the Pulitzer Prize-winning foreign correspondent who died in Syria Thursday of an apparent asthma attack at the age of 43. Shadid devoted his life to covering war-torn areas of the globe, but no matter where he roamed, he remained a loyal fan of his beloved Green Bay Packers.

Last year, just before the Packers won the Super Bowl, Shadid penned a piece for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about the lengths he had gone to to remain in touch with his favorite team in all corners of the world.

“In 1995, I was sent to Cairo as a foreign correspondent,” Shadid wrote. “The only satellite phones then were the size of steamer trunks, and I couldn’t manage to take that home with me. So any time the Packers played a night game – those games, for some reason, broadcast on expensive satellite channels available in five-star hotels in the Middle East – I plopped down a few hundred dollars for a room at the Marriott. It was still too little Packers for me.”

Shadid, whose book Night Draws Near is the best thing I’ve read about the Iraq war, was resourceful enough to stay on top of NFL news in any situation, and he called tickets to a game the best perk of being a Pulitzer Prize winner.

“Budgetary constraints aside, I listened to every game in Baghdad,” Shadid wrote. “When I won the Pulitzer Prize in 2004, my editor at the Post, Phil Bennett, gave me front-row tickets to a game with the Washington Redskins. Forget the Pulitzer! I’m going to the game! I could have written another book if I had somehow managed not to spend countless hours reading about the Packers online.”

Shadid is survived by his foreign-born wife, Nada, who had never heard of the Packers before meeting him but became a fan, and their two children.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Anthony Shadid was a Packers fan to the end”
  1. medtxpack says: Feb 17, 2012 11:47 AM

RIP Shadid. GO Pack GO!

2. jjrs89 says: Feb 17, 2012 11:58 AM

Surprised the Brett Favre drama didnt do him in

3. johnnyb216 says: Feb 17, 2012 12:19 PM

Wow. RIP Mr Shadid. Shouldn’t have trouble watching the games now.

4. bearsoxass says: Feb 17, 2012 12:21 PM

R.I.P sir…Cheesehead for life

5. snikerbotloot says: Feb 17, 2012 12:22 PM

One of the best journalists in his field. Too young.

6. wipackman1265 says: Feb 17, 2012 12:23 PM

Sad to hear a young Man with a family passed so young !!! He actually gave something valuable to us … Thank you Sir May Gods peace be with your family !!

7. Matt says: Feb 17, 2012 12:27 PM

I love hearing stories like this. Born and raised a Raiders fan, and ever since I’ve gone off to college the Raiders are the only thing my dad and I ever want to talk about. The team has become an extension of my family — in a way.

For some people, sports is more than a game. It defines who you are. He was a Packers fan before a writer. I’m a Raiders fan before a son. It’s just how it is.

8. capslockkey says: Feb 17, 2012 12:44 PM

Of course the tragic death of a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist will only get about 5 minutes of coverage in the media. They don’t want to distract from the week long ratings bonanza of a has been crackhead singer who probably died at her own hands. Shadid sounds like he lived an interesting and influential life that people need to hear more about. RIP Mr Shadid.

9. rugdog100 says: Feb 17, 2012 1:18 PM

RIP, sir.

10. frenchy121212 says: Feb 17, 2012 1:35 PM

Capslockkey- that was fantastic and oh so true. Ratings are all they care about. The media tells you the stories that they are most likely to profit from. It’s a joke really.

11. koufaxmitzvah says: Feb 17, 2012 1:48 PM

capslockkey says:
    Feb 17, 2012 12:44 PM
    ———

1. The media has been on this story. Can’t help it if you can’t read.

2. Your knock on Whitney Houston belittles everything else you wrote.

3. Sometimes, less is more, Champ.

12. shackdelrio says: Feb 17, 2012 1:59 PM

Anthony Shadid was a brilliant journalist. So sad to see him go at such a young age.

13. xtb3 says: Feb 17, 2012 2:17 PM

Guess he liked living in Syria better than here! In the middle of a civil war or the “Arab Spring” as the left calls it.

14. gerard33 says: Feb 17, 2012 2:27 PM

great fan!

15. gberg09 says: Feb 17, 2012 2:34 PM

wisconson sucks.

16. tashkalucy says: Feb 17, 2012 2:36 PM

Wonderful article.

Hoping for the best for his family.

17. haileli says: Feb 17, 2012 2:42 PM

Anyone can put some foam cheese on their head or paint their face. Very few can claim to follow their team even in the face of war. Hats off to him. 43. So sad.

18. purpleguy says: Feb 17, 2012 2:43 PM

Shows the reach of the NFL and the draw teams have on their fans, particularly the Pack.

19. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Feb 17, 2012 3:04 PM

1. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Feb 17, 2012 12:59 PM
    Any word on who is getting his Packer stock certificates?

—-

Why don’t you show some respect?

20. ufullpj says: Feb 17, 2012 3:41 PM

This is a very sad day for a number of reasons. First, he was a phenomenal journalist. I live in the city he’s from (suburban Oklahoma City), and his passing has barely been a blip on the local news scene, mainly because this is a very, very red state and Shadid wrote for the very disliked NYT and was based in Iraq – despite the fact that his family is extremely involved in local politics, medicine, and law, and is very well regarded. As a Packer fan myself, I’ve had a few situations where I’ve had to do the same in foreign countries to avoid missing games, and it’s good to know that there is someone so much smarter than I, so much more accomplished, that had the same level of passionate devotion. Shadid’s loss is huge for the journalism world, and for the 90% of Americans from any political affiliation who think for themselves and appreciate honest, straight forward coverage that provides the insights and facts necessary for everyone to form their own opinions. Most of all, a very proud and tight-knit family loses a son, grandson, nephew, dad, husband, brother, and cousin. RIP Anthony.

21. banjojones says: Feb 17, 2012 3:43 PM

Great journalist. Huge loss.

22. buckybadger says: Feb 17, 2012 3:43 PM

To young to lose a man who was a true professional in a field where these kind of men are rare.

RIP and thoughts to his family.

23. wipackman1265 says: Feb 17, 2012 4:17 PM

gberg09 when you get out of San Quentin you should come visit Wisconsin

24. bluefan204 says: Feb 17, 2012 4:48 PM

Sad news. RIP, Mr Shadid. Thats what being a true fan is all about.

25. packernation90 says: Feb 17, 2012 11:01 PM

RIP Mr. Shadid, you sound to be a great guy, and you represent what a true fan is, Loyal.

26. jessethegreat says: Feb 18, 2012 9:31 AM

R.I.P. Mr. Shadid. Packers gave him a great final ride the last year and a half. I love life here on this earth, but I’m going to be pretty happy in my afterlife if I get to go to the same place as Coach Lombardi, Curly Lambeau, Ray Nitschke, and Reggie White.

Besides winning in the present, nothing better than talking about all the winning done in the past. (Vikings fans often make a joke about that, but guys, if your team actually accomplished some winning in its past, you’d understand).