Koppen eyeballs free agency

New England Patriots Training Camp Getty Images

One of the last links to the Patriots’ Super Bowl wins could be leaving the team.

Or maybe not.

Center Dan Koppen, who missed all of the 2011 season after breaking an ankle in Week One against the Dolphins, will be a free agent on March 13.  And even though he has spent all nine of his NFL seasons with the Patriots, he’s not foreclosing the possibility of skedaddling.

“I’ve enjoyed my time here and I’ve enjoyed playing here,” Koppen tells Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald.  “Do I want to stay here and play?  Yeah, absolutely, I’d love to come back here and play.  But I’m not shut off to the idea of going other places or seeing the opportunities that may present themselves when the free agency period comes.  It’s a uneasy time, but it’s an exciting time.  Because things can change or things can not change.  It’s one of those things where, I’m not closing any options.  I’ve been around this league a long time, I know it’s a business.  I know the  business, I know the business side of it.  I’ve seen things that happen in the past and some things just work out and some things just don’t work out.  I understand that the Patriots have gotta do what’s best for them and I gotta do what’s best for my family.  So, in the next couple weeks, if decisions have to be made, then I’m gonna make my decisions based on what I feel is right for my family.”

Koppen earned a base salary of $2.9 million in 2011.  He joined the Patriots as a fifth-round pick from Boston College in 2003.  Before 2011, he had missed only one game in five full seasons.

More importantly, he looks like a really large version of Louis C.K.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Koppen eyeballs free agency”
  1. tigerlilac says: Feb 17, 2012 5:36 PM

“More importantly, he looks like a really large version of Louis C.K.”

Good line, and nice to see you know that Louis C.K. hails from Boston.

2. ampats says: Feb 17, 2012 5:38 PM

This season proved that Koppen can be replaced. There have been times over the years when Koppen was getting pushed back into Brady’s legs/face( 2009/2010 playoff games). Solid center but team needs to get younger and more physical.

The future is with Solder, Mankins, Cannon and Vollmer. Light should be back next season and hopefully Waters comes back for another season.

3. rectumdamnnearkilledem says: Feb 17, 2012 5:38 PM

Who uses the phrase “skedaddling” ?? Did you think of it while playing with your tallywhacker ?

4. rajbais says: Feb 17, 2012 5:39 PM

I see the Louis CK resemblance, but I also see him possibly replacing Jeff Saturday in Indianapolis.

5. jrfrom508 says: Feb 17, 2012 5:40 PM

I hate to say it because I respect the guy so much… That said, bro if you try to get more than your worth from BB he will replace you so fast your head will spin. And when I say replace I mean they will find someone for chump change in the draft to do your job just as good as you. Dante Scarneccia can develope a center with his eyes closed.

Keep it real though Dan. Much respect.

6. bozosforall says: Feb 17, 2012 6:06 PM

jrfrom508 says:
    Feb 17, 2012 5:40 PM

Keep it real though Dan. Much respect.

__
    You mean like Bill “replaced” Richard Seymour? Wish all you want to, but Bill’s draft record is spotty at best. The more likely move by Bill will be to find some free agent to replace Koppen, as that is where his track record is a bit better (Haynesworth and Ocho Cinco, notwithstanding).

7. faulkana says: Feb 17, 2012 6:14 PM

I never knew that that is how you spelled, “skedaddling”. Thank you.
    Now, if I knew who Louis C.K. was, I’d be ahead of my learning quota for the day.

8. PFTiswhatitis says: Feb 17, 2012 6:25 PM

Last season was proof enough that Dan Koppen can be replaced. I hope they do sign him though. He is a tough motha.

9. billybatty says: Feb 17, 2012 6:26 PM

“Hello Mr Koppen?, Jeff Fisher here…………..”

10. kelvinmchale says: Feb 17, 2012 6:58 PM

Bozo again living up to his name. You obviously don’t follow the Patriots very closely.

As for Koppen, I don’t see him coming back to the Pats on a rebuilt ankle at his age.

11. backindasaddle says: Feb 17, 2012 7:39 PM

They’ll let him test the market and then decide if they want to match/beat the offer. Solid guy, smart, experienced….but not irreplaceable.

12. jrfrom508 says: Feb 17, 2012 7:42 PM

Bozo- Fascinating to see you took the time to copy/paste my post but didn’t take the time to read it.

Offensive line is one thing, Scar takes scraps and turns them into perennial pro bowlers.

Defense is an entirely different topic altogether.

And not to meander to your horrible and irrelevant point but…. Tom Brady, Logan mankins, Aaron hernando, rob gronk, deion branch, Vince wilfork, jerod mayo, devin mccourty, Nate solder, Marcus cannon, Stephen goskowski, Zoltan mesko, Brandon spikes….. That’s just off the top of my head of CURRENT players most who haven’t even played during the super bowl dynasty who BB DRAFTED.

You and all the other spygate morons can keep saying BB doesn’t draft well because your hate blinds your ability to think critically.

The pats will make the playoffs again this year, I’m certain, more certain than 31 other fanbases.

13. fu7ur3pr00f says: Feb 17, 2012 7:58 PM

@faulkana,

Don’t know who Louis C.K. is !?!?

Been asleep for the last decade?

He directed Pootie Tang. ‘Nuff said

14. 6ball says: Feb 17, 2012 8:09 PM

@bozotheclown

“Bill’s draft record is spotty at best ”

There’s 32 teams . How many of them have better draft records? How about your Jets? Goldsten, that was a good choice with the 6th overall pick. Kyle Wilson, Duicasse, and McKnight are future hall of famers, right?

If Belichick goes 13-3 this year and his draft record is spotty, what adjective would you use to describe the Jets record ……santonio – like .

Pay more attention to your own 8-8 club, chuckles.

15. jimboonie says: Feb 17, 2012 8:33 PM

Didn’t Dan Koppen brake his shoulder half way through the 2005 season, and was put on IR? He has missed more than 1 game.

16. jimboonie says: Feb 17, 2012 8:34 PM

Nevermind. You said 1 game in the last 5 seasons.

17. thom4msu says: Feb 17, 2012 11:33 PM

5th round. 3 million. Wow. More to come. Can I go back in time & trade in my masters? Played pretty good ball.

18. ezmoover says: Feb 18, 2012 12:17 AM

Very wordy. Koppen could have just said…

“This will be my last significant contract as an NFL player, so I want to sign with the team that will pay me the most stinkin’ money I can get my paws on”.

See? That wasn’t so hard, now was it?

19. micker716 says: Feb 18, 2012 12:36 AM

Just a guy. The Checkmeister can replace him with a kid on the cheap.

20. nfl1818 says: Feb 18, 2012 12:51 AM

I’ll take his alleged draft inadequacies and 13 wins any day. And it’s a bit ironic that we are questioning bill in a story about a fifth round pick who has owned the position for a long time. Seems he was a good value ?

I agree with the poster on mankins. He really was the weak point vs the giants.

21. gotcaughtcheating says: Feb 18, 2012 2:02 AM

“More importantly, did anyone notice that the real weak link on the team in the Super Bowl was Logan Mankins? He got owned several times in that game and was directly responsible for many hurried and thus inaccurate throws by Brady. Same thing happened in 2008 game. But at least you got paid, right Logan?”

The real “weak link” on the team is a glorified fantasy football QB who can’t evade pressure or make accurate throws down the middle of the field with the game on the line.

But don’t worry, NEXT year will be different.

22. pondbridge says: Feb 18, 2012 4:57 AM

Can’t pay everyone, Koppen is average. Would rather see Pats ensure that Cannon has a regular place to play. If Marcus moved to RG, then Waters could play center, which he has done before.

23. patsfiend says: Feb 18, 2012 5:19 PM

Connolly is younger and bigger, and by my eyes did a fine job this season holding down the fort (and keeping Brady intact.) The $$ is going to Welker and others (BJGE, Carter or Anderson) … by the sounds of Koppen’s comments I think we’ll be posting “Thanks for the years of service, Dan, and good luck with the Cowboys” in a few weeks.