Weinke: It’s “proven” Manning can return from injury

Jerome Bettis, John Schnatter, Peyton Manning AP

Former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke doesn’t question whether Peyton Manning will return to football.

Weinke, after all, recovered just fine from a similar spinal fusion surgery in 1998. Weinke spoke to Manning early in the recovery process to pass along his experience.

“My gut feeling: It’s not a question of if he can get back healthy because it’s already been proven it can happen because I went through it,” Weinke told Jim Corbett of USA Today.

The situations aren’t exactly the same because Weinke went through the ordeal at a much younger age. He also didn’t need four procedures in a two-year span like Manning. Weinke did go through the same issues with nerve regeneration in his damaged arm.

“I lost everything, full atrophy in my throwing arm, the nerves that control my right arm were damaged,” Weinke said. “My head was awkward and I got involved in a head-on collision. I had total nerve regeneration. So I had to in essence re-teach myself to throw.”

Manning is currently in the process of re-teaching himself how to throw. There remains some questions about whether he can get his old arm strength back.

If that happens sooner than later, the bidding war to sign Manning will get crazy sooner than later.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Weinke: It’s “proven” Manning can return from injury”
  1. cardmagnet says: Feb 17, 2012 9:37 AM

Didn’t Peyton also get baby juice injections to help out? I don’t believe Weinke had the luxury of stem cells at the time.

2. dolphindad says: Feb 17, 2012 9:47 AM

Irsay is a punk. he’s trying to drag this out as long as possible in order to sell as many season tickets as possible. thats also why they hid Manning mysterious surgery last year. didn’t announce manning wouldn’t be playing until very eve of season despite knowing more. Irsay is going to run the Colts back into the ground. he got lucky he was able to draft manning and didn’t have to put any other pieces in place.

3. golonger says: Feb 17, 2012 10:01 AM

this is hilarious. What did Weinke do AFTER he “got better”?….more bs! But,even if Weike had the EXACT same injury and surguries, it doesn’t mean recovery is the same. Manning is done!

4. baron30 says: Feb 17, 2012 10:05 AM

yes weinke went through this procedure at a much younger age, BUT you failed to mention the counter to that. Specifically, Weinke went through the procedure in 1998, and anyone can imagine the leaps that the medical community has made in regards to these types of surgeries in the past 15 years–both surgery and rehab techniques.

5. kahnsbushymustache says: Feb 17, 2012 10:21 AM

“Weinke said. ‘My head was awkward’…”

Well, there’s something else he and Peyton have in common…

6. baron30 says: Feb 17, 2012 10:22 AM

@golonger…….im pretty sure weinke won a national championship, the Heisman trophy post surgery, and went on to have a 8 year NFL career….but other than that nothing

7. thenaturalmevs says: Feb 17, 2012 11:31 AM

It’s Chris Weinke. The only way he gets to be pals with Peyton Manning is by being a source of support for the gimp-necked QB. If Weinke comes out like a radical and says Peyton will never play again, Peyton wouldn’t know he existed and Weinke wouldn’t be in the headlines. Every situation is different.

8. bozosforall says: Feb 17, 2012 11:31 AM

baron30 says:
    Feb 17, 2012 10:22 AM

__

9. ernie ernie says: Feb 17, 2012 11:44 AM

Weinke didn’t have four surgeries. They don’t do four unless there is underlying problems they can’t talk about.
    I know this from my wife being a neuro nurse for 24 years, all spine surgeries are different and people recover differently. Some return to normal and others never do. Same surgery, different people.

10. CKL says: Feb 17, 2012 12:03 PM

golonger is a Ravens fan, as anyone who pays attention and who also has no agenda would know. Those requirements leave certain people who are manningfans out of the equation of course.

ernie ernie,
    That seems like an obvious point but it’s a good one. I’ve heard a lot of players say that many guys have returned to play after having this surgery but they’ve never mentioned if it was just one procedure or several surgeries including this type.

11. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 17, 2012 12:12 PM

Well there’s some good news Peyton.

If you work really really hard, you can work your way back to being as good as Chris Weinke.

But you gotta really want it.

12. brianbosworthisstonecold says: Feb 17, 2012 12:59 PM

He should have better posture while eating that slice.

13. jjrs89 says: Feb 17, 2012 1:07 PM

__ golonger is nothing more than a Peyton-hating idiot Pats fan, who has been and always will be jealous that Peyton is a better QB than Brady.

Im sure brady’s 3 rings and 5 superbowl appearances would make a case for argument on jealousy. Manning is lucky he has one. He should be the biggest Rex Grossman fan in the world

14. bullcharger says: Feb 17, 2012 1:14 PM

Obviously Weinker… The reason Manning had the procedure is becuase it gave him the best chance to get back to playing.

But like it says above, Peyton is older and has already had several complications. What happened to Wenke doesn’t mean anything.

15. mrslay1 says: Feb 17, 2012 8:17 PM

Manning has nothing to be jealous about. I remember a guy named Marino who didn’t have any rings. I don’t think he has to lower his head to Brady or anyone else. Manning is one of the greatest QB’s to ever play the game. I would think any fan of football would know this. I don’t even like the Colts but love watching him play. And he is not through yet!