250 fans will attend Scouting Combine

2011 NFL Scouting Combine - Day 4 Getty Images

Less than a month after 7,300 fans plunked down $25 each to mill about the upper reaches of Lucas Oil Stadium during the annual Media Day festivities, a much smaller group will be allowed to witness in person the underwear Olympics more commonly known as the Scouting Combine.

According to Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star, applications can be submitted at 1iota.com.  The process includes an explanation of why the person should be picked (a 350-word maximum) and the attachment of a photo.

Why is a photo needed?  Because they’ll want to be sure that the person who applies for admission and the person who shows up for the event is the same person.  (It’s yet another potential scam opportunity for any identical twins in the crowd.)

And it’s the latest evidence of the growth in popularity of the annual pre-draft event, which features guys running in a straight line and jumping straight up and doing all sorts of things that they’ll rarely do on a football field — especially since they don’t wear pads.

I’ll have plenty of time to point out over the next week that there’s no real correlation between the Scouting Combine and football, that the measurements often are used not to select or weed out prospects but to justify interest or lack thereof in a given player, and that the only way to ever know whether a guy who played college football at a high level can survive and/or thrive in the NFL is to put him on a field with other NFL players and see what he does, or he doesn’t.

What’s that?  I shouldn’t pull the sheet back because PFT benefits from the traffic generated by the cottage industry spawned by the draft process?  We’ll still pay attention to it, but I’ll always share with the audience my confusion regarding the disconnect between the fact that there’s an obsession with 300 or so players from February through late April and the reality that, after the draft, we only continue to pay close attention to a handful of them, at most.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “250 fans will attend Scouting Combine”
  1. savocabol1 says: Feb 18, 2012 11:25 AM

The combine will continue to be a joke until they start having guys do these drills in full pads.

2. EJ says: Feb 18, 2012 11:39 AM

The NFL is trying to make the scouting combine part of their regular scheduled big time events. There is much money to be made and Rodger Goodell will find a way to get it. The combine used to be a tiny blimp on the screen, those days are over.

3. seaner44 says: Feb 18, 2012 11:47 AM

Mike doesnt like the combine. We get it. Let it go.

4. themonster49 says: Feb 18, 2012 11:48 AM

Underwear Olympics… Im going to use that forever now.

But that is just it, it’s the NFL’s olympics, granted it is for draftees and they are representing themselves at the underwear Olympics, but it’s still the closest thing to the NFL’s olympics.

I like the scouting combine.

5. Soulman45 says: Feb 18, 2012 11:48 AM

Some people have nothing to do and some really are football fans if I was their I would try to go.

6. duanethomas says: Feb 18, 2012 12:06 PM

Gosh, if they had this in the past they could have seen Vernon Gholston look like a beast. Jason Smith standout and Taylor Mays run a 4.2. Aaron Curry look like the next L.T. All in their tight workout gear.

7. jimr10 says: Feb 18, 2012 12:12 PM

To me, the scouting combine is a waste of time since they go to the players home fields and do that same thing. Most quarterbacks now do not throw at the combine and wait to do that on their pro-days. It is also a good way for sports writers to fleece their employers for a nice week long vacation at their expense.

8. CKL says: Feb 18, 2012 12:28 PM

I think it’s one of the few things this regime has doe that I like, letting fans buy tickets to this and to media day. Sure it makes money. So what? That doesn’t mean it isn’t good for the fans AND the NFL’s coffers.

9. jcdurden88 says: Feb 18, 2012 12:29 PM

250 bored people

10. wtfchiefs says: Feb 18, 2012 12:38 PM

If you’re one of the 250 you’re either a tremendous loser, or you enjoy watching men in tights. Why the heck would anyone want to watch this? It’s a snoozefest!

11. backindasaddle says: Feb 18, 2012 1:23 PM

Submit an “application”? Are you kidding me? What are we doing here, applying for membership in some exclusive, pompous snob club? What exactly do you say as to why you should be permitted to enter the event?:

* “My dad is the Mayor”? Well OK then!… stamp his hand and let him in!

* “I just love football and I want to see my teams potential draft picks”. Rejected!….go away! Security, keep an eye on him.

How ludicrous.

12. ravenution says: Feb 18, 2012 3:16 PM

The scouting combine is a great event. I could see some added drills but there’s nothing wrong with the event.

13. therebelknight says: Feb 18, 2012 5:33 PM

People who say the Fans that will be attending the combine will be bored …( I was Picked BTW ) must not realize the popularity of anyhting NFL related.

5.2 million viewers of the NFL combine. WHich is only on the NFL network..That number would be alot higher if it was on ESPN…

I cant wait for this oppertunity…

14. rollerino1 says: Feb 18, 2012 5:46 PM

wtfchiefs says:
    Feb 18, 2012 12:38 PM
    ===================================
    That’s why I watch…. :-) .