If Dan Patrick were still at ESPN, he’d be able to say on SportsCenter that the scoreboard at Raymond James Stadium is “en fuego.”
Yes, it was mentioned in the Saturday one-liners but nothing merits a post of its own like a burning scoreboard in an NFL stadium. According to the Tampa Tribune, that’s precisely what happened on Saturday morning.
Multiple motorists who noticed that the structure was on fire called 911, and authorities discovered that the speaker system above the north scoreboard was indeed aflame. The fire was extinguished, and it was determined that an electrical problem in the speaker caused the blaze, and not something like a cannonball shot from the in-stadium pirate ship.
If nothing else, the possibility of the spontaneous scoreboard combustion could attract more fans to the facility in 2012, and beyond.
That’s definitely something that you can’t experience by staying home to watch the games.