Bill Sheridan defends track record with Giants

Miami Dolphins 2010 Headshots

The defensive coordinator that preceded Bill Sheridan with the Giants (Steve Spagnuolo) won a Super Bowl and got a head coaching job. The coordinator that came after Sheridan (Perry Fewell) won a Super Bowl and probably will be a head coach some day.

Now Sheridan is the defensive coordinator of the Bucs and was somewhat on the defensive in his introductory news conference, trying to explain his season running the Giants defense. New York gave up the second most amount of points in team history in 2009.

“I took and take full responsibility for the fact that we didn’t play good enough defense at the end of the year when I was coordinating that year,” Sheridan said via Stephen Holder of the Tampa Bay Times. “Because I was put in charge of that, and the bottom line, at the end of the year, we didn’t keep people out of the end zone well enough to be successful.”

Sheridan believes that he simplified the defense too much in New York. Now he takes over a defense that is coming off an awful season, but he understands the Bucs attack won’t be his defense.

“I think our defense, it’s going to be Greg Schiano’s defense because he’s our head coach and I’m coordinating for him,” Sheridan said.

The Bucs will play an attacking defense that is multiple in its 4-3 looks, with Sheridan promising to be more aggressive.

We are still waiting for the first defensive coordinator hire to announce at his introductory press conference that his defense is hoping to play more passive in the coming year.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Bill Sheridan defends track record with Giants”
  1. wlubake says: Feb 21, 2012 1:19 PM

You mean he won’t be blitzing safeties while dropping his All-Pro defensive end into man coverage on a pass-catching tight end? That would be a good start.

2. duanethomas says: Feb 21, 2012 1:23 PM

This guy was awful and now he expects to do more with less? Another retread who failed at one spot, but falls up. Incredible.

3. dohpey28 says: Feb 21, 2012 1:29 PM

It boggled my mind how often he had Tuck or Osi drop into coverage. It never worked. Ever.

4. pixelito says: Feb 21, 2012 1:56 PM

You can defend schemes, but you can’t defend personality… Sheridan was notably disliked by his players.

5. chocolatebaconbutter says: Feb 21, 2012 2:05 PM

Man, that guy was terrible. This gave me flashbacks.

6. rob0527 says: Feb 21, 2012 2:14 PM

Not your defense, way to blame someone else before the season starts.Cant wait to hear excuses from him as season goes on.

7. situsavaisprier says: Feb 21, 2012 2:14 PM

I’m still breaking my head how he had Justin Tuck covering Antonio Gates one on one. SMH. Sheridan also doesn’t look like someone that is interested/into the games. During the season you’ll see what I’m talking about. I’ll put it this way, if the defense has to feed off of him then those guys will really look like they will pass out.

8. realitypolice says: Feb 21, 2012 2:48 PM

Believe me, he’s hardly “falling up”.

He’s the DC on a staff with a defensive minded head coach AND a defensive minded coach who has been an NFL head coach, Butch Davis also on board.

If the defense succeeds, Schiano and Davis will get the credit. If the defense fails, Sheridan will be the fall guy and get poopcanned.

This is why they had such a hard time finding someone to take the job. Not exactly a stepping stone to bigger things.

9. Mr. Wright 212 says: Feb 21, 2012 3:53 PM

He’s joking right? Never in my team’s HISTORY was our defense that bad.

10. clk320cpe says: Feb 21, 2012 4:18 PM

Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Feb 21, 2012 3:53 PM
    He’s joking right? Never in my team’s HISTORY was our defense that bad.
    ——————————————–
    You forget Rod Rust…

Rod Rust was so bad that Pepper Johnson said that the defense was going to free lancing instead of running the called defensive play. Thank Ray Handley for Rod Rust. And Rust was a head coach in NE before the Giant job.

Sheridan was bad but Rust was even worse.

11. jg725 says: Feb 21, 2012 5:34 PM

As a giant fan of 30 years- i can honestly say that it is a toss-up between sheridan, rust, and handley as the worst coaches to ever walk the sideline at giants stadium – aside from some of the jets coaches of course – LOL

12. iamdanabnormal says: Feb 21, 2012 9:58 PM

so when does tim lewis get a call for a dc job?

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Feb 21, 2012 11:22 PM

clk320cpe says:
    Feb 21, 2012 4:18 PM
    Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Feb 21, 2012 3:53 PM
    He’s joking right? Never in my team’s HISTORY was our defense that bad.
    ——————————————–
    You forget Rod Rust…

Sheridan was bad but Rust was even worse.
    ——–

lmao I didn’t forget him. I remember those two seasons vividly (they weren’t THAT bad in his read and react system the first year, ’92 was more about LT being out than anything). But yes, Rust was AWFUL. And if I’m not mistaken, wasn’t he HC with the Patsies when they had that 2-14 season ha?

14. Mr. Wright 212 says: Feb 21, 2012 11:23 PM

iamdanabnormal says:
    Feb 21, 2012 9:58 PM
    so when does tim lewis get a call for a dc job?

———–

lmao I’m dying. Between Rust, Lewis, Lynn and Sheridan, any Giants fan who lived through each of those DCs should be GRATEFUL that we have Fewell and not calling for his head, as many did in 2011.

15. iamdanabnormal says: Feb 22, 2012 12:30 AM