Peterson plans to be back in Week One

Adrian Peterson AP

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson recently told KFAN that he plans to start running next week.  On Tuesday, he told Dan Patrick that the objective remains suiting up in Week One.

“Right now my goal is to be back for the first regular-season game,” Peterson said.

Peterson reiterated that he’ll start “running and testing it out” on February 28.

When he returns, Peterson will have some new teammates.  Barring a trade, one will be the third overall selection in the draft.  And he’s not picky about whom they pick.

“We’re hurting in so many areas, offensively and defensive, we can’t go wrong,” Peterson said.

Hooray?

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Peterson plans to be back in Week One”
  1. duanethomas says: Feb 21, 2012 3:07 PM

Way to soon, he will only suffer setbacks that will affect him for the rest of his career. If he wants longevity he should not rush it.

2. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Feb 21, 2012 3:19 PM

I have the utmost faith that the viks leadership will screw it up somehow….

3. puckdafackers says: Feb 21, 2012 3:26 PM

duanethomas says:
    Feb 21, 2012 3:07 PM

Du-du-du-duane do you know who AP is? you are a clown, why would AP not run the 28th if the DOCTORS (not you) are the one instructing him to do it??

4. stavreafavre says: Feb 21, 2012 3:49 PM

Seeing all of these stories on PFT about the Vikings is sort of like watching a swimsuit special where they spend a lot of time with Rosie O’Donnell.

5. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Feb 21, 2012 3:50 PM

duanethomas says:
    Feb 21, 2012 3:07 PM
    ___________

Thanks, doctor. I’m sure he doesn’t have a team of people making sure he does everything exactly right in his rehabilitation because the Vikings don’t care about their $100 million man.

6. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Feb 21, 2012 3:52 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Feb 21, 2012 3:19 PM

I have the utmost faith that the viks leadership will screw it up somehow….
    _______

When you say “faith,” what I hear is “hope,” because I know you’re scared to death of where each of our teams is going to be three years from now. Enjoy the freefall, we’ll wave as we pass you.

7. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Feb 21, 2012 3:53 PM

I think he probably wouldn’t mind getting that left tackle in here.

8. tqaztec says: Feb 21, 2012 4:00 PM

AP better learn to block and catch better. Running the ball is not that important anymore.

9. contra74 says: Feb 21, 2012 4:00 PM

I love his commitment to return and play but Im worried he is rushing this too soon. I played football all the way up to the NCAA level and have seen the setback that ACL tears have on any athlete. I know Peterson is a beast and his physical fitness will accelerate his healing process and that doctors will evaluate him to make sure its ok BUT if he rushes it and tears that ACL again then his career might be over. I would prefer he doesnt rush it and give it the time it needs in order to have him back 100%. Then again, he is a beast and might be able to pull it off.

10. lbpackfan says: Feb 21, 2012 4:00 PM

Back week one…hmmm, is it worth playing him then since Vikes will be out of contention???

11. contra74 says: Feb 21, 2012 4:28 PM

lbpackfan says:
    Feb 21, 2012 4:00 PM
    ——–
    Let me guess, you paper champs already won the next 3 Super Bowls just like you did this last past one right?

12. lnfinite says: Feb 21, 2012 4:38 PM

If this was a subject about Rodgers coming back from injury would Viking fans be making such juvenile comments about him as Packer fans do about AP?

Be classy folks.

If AP or any player could come back from such an injury so soon and still shine, I applaud them.

13. ninefingers9 says: Feb 21, 2012 4:40 PM

Wonder what odds Vegas is giving one a week one acl tear? ~ Not that I want it to happen~

14. numberoneinthehoodg says: Feb 21, 2012 4:53 PM

I’m pretty disturbed by the thought process of some of you. This gentlemen has been the reason we compare stats from one decade to another. He plays with passion. He plays with desire. He wants nothing more than to be the best at what he does. For those of you that don’t have faith in AD just watch! He has a 300 yard day in front of him. God willing (thanks T-bow) he’ll get a ring as well.

15. shadowgm1 says: Feb 21, 2012 4:54 PM

Goal is week one. Reality will be week seven or after. That is, if they want him to play longer than another two seasons.

In other news, Zygi is scrambling to find the next desperate press release to start selling tickets. No confidence in Toby Girlfart?

16. lbpackfan says: Feb 21, 2012 4:59 PM

contra74 –

Relax…reeeeelaaaax….I am just messing around.

AP seems like a classy guy and he is one heck of a beast at RB….hope to a speedy recovery.

As far as paper champs, yeah we crapped the bed this year. Oh well…still have 2010 to be happy and thankful for. I can’t imagine going 50+ years without a title…oh how horrible that would be!

Already looking forward to 2012…can’t wait to go to my stadium and watch my team I co-own and see those 2 new beautiful video boards I helped purchase!!

17. rhau12 says: Feb 21, 2012 5:52 PM

Packfan-

A team you co-own?… so you get to help make football decisons, go onto the field during games and even the locker room after games? the only thing you own a piece of paper that says you payed the packers even more money because to watch them play. Packer fans are all the same “we won the super bowl”. You didnt win anything, you sat on your couch and watched the team you choose to cheer for win…congrats.

18. gb4mn0 says: Feb 21, 2012 6:16 PM

contra74 says:
    Feb 21, 2012 4:00 PM

————————————————-

You say you “played football ALL the way up to the NCAA level” hey. So you played High School football and that allows you to prop yourself up on a pedestal and pronounce yourself as the self-proclaimed expert on all things football. WOW!

I’m guessing you flunked out of your 1st semester at community college and can be found living in your mother’s basement since.

19. rubberinnertube says: Feb 21, 2012 9:53 PM

gb4mn0
    uncalled for. you may want to seek anger management help…and lay off the caffeine…

20. vikesfansteve says: Feb 21, 2012 10:46 PM

Peterson hurt his knee in his rookie season & was back 2 weeks later. He is going to be back by week 1. Rod Woodson came back the same season from an ACL tear. Maybe this injury will be a bleesing in disguise for Peterson & get him to stop doing those sudden cutbacks for no reason after he his past the line.

The Vikings main problem is getting a safety & a shutdown corner. Their offense can score enough & should be even better for Musgrave this season. They get a good D backfield & the wins will come and if they don’t the Vikings can fire Fraizer & Spielman. It’s a win/win.

21. ugk612 says: Feb 21, 2012 11:05 PM

I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again all the way up to the draft, I would REALLY like to see them rebuild that defense from the back going forward!
    Morris Claiborne!

22. cornersss says: Mar 10, 2012 11:20 PM

I love the guy, but week 1 is way too fast. Its not worth it. AP is better off coming back 4 or 6 weeks or even half way past the season then to rush it.

No reason to rush it, most make it worse. Look at TO,but theres much better class players then TO that have tried to rush back only to make it worse and suffer successive knee failures