Quarterback guru Tom Martinez dies at 66

120131-BradyMartinez-hmed-6p.photoblog600

Tom Martinez, a long-time quarterback coach best known for serving as Tom Brady’s personal mentor, has died of a heart attack suffered during a dialysis session, according to WVCB in Boston.

Martinez was 66.

He was awaiting a kidney transplant, and Brady had been personally trying to help the effort.  “He’s a great friend of mine for a very long time and taught me how to throw a football at a very young age,” Brady told ABC News in January.  “He’s been looking for a kidney for quite a while.”  At one point, Brady attempted via his Facebook page to find a potential living donor for Martinez.

Before the 2011 season started, Brady visited with Martinez for a tune up.

”He asked me to come out, right before the season started.  Labor Day weekend,” Martinez told Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald last year.  “He said he was off.  His throwing was off.  So I went out there Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.  We went through the film.  Then all of a sudden, everything else fell into place.  Within about an hour, he was back to the old Tom Brady.  Then he had that 517-yard game. . . .  I guess what we did worked.”

It definitely did, from the time Brady first attended a clinic put on by Martinez at age 13.

We extend our condolences to Martinez’s family, friends, and colleagues.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
47 Responses to “Quarterback guru Tom Martinez dies at 66”
  1. tdotbronco says: Feb 21, 2012 9:49 PM

R.I.P Mr Martinez. Que Dios lo bendiga (God bless you)

2. aceboogie57 says: Feb 21, 2012 9:52 PM

Man that sucks. I’ve been waiting for a kidney for 3 years, & it’s not fun. I know Brady is hurt, they were pretty close.

3. subzero2401 says: Feb 21, 2012 9:58 PM

Terrible news. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

4. harrisbd99 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:01 PM

I remember watching a special on him on ESPN not too long ago. Seemed like a great guy and really did a great job teaching and mentoring one of the greatest to ever play the game. RIP.

5. benmci says: Feb 21, 2012 10:01 PM

Very good QB coach who made a good impact with Tom Brady. He is a short line of QB coaches along with Zeke Bratkowski, Babe Parelli, and Mike Martz who could find that gleam in players.

6. unodosochocinco says: Feb 21, 2012 10:03 PM

That’s really sad. I just saw a special on those two and it seems they had real chemistry. RIP

7. jrfrom508 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:14 PM

RIP… He was a great and inspiring human being.

8. spellingcops says: Feb 21, 2012 10:15 PM

RIP Mr. Martinez. I’m sure this is going to be very hard on Brady. I feel for him.

9. southyank7 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:18 PM

can’t stand Tom Bieber Brady but 66 is still too young RIP

10. catman72 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:24 PM

RIP

11. mrslay1 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:27 PM

Prayers and condolences to the family and friends.

12. johnnycash19 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:28 PM

Sad Stuff, R.I.P

13. cytofed says: Feb 21, 2012 10:30 PM

R.I.P coach. Thank you for your body of work in this life time. May you continue your success with Coach Davis and Coach Paterno somewhere in heaven.

14. burm61 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:31 PM

Is this the guy they ran that Brady story on around Thanksgiving? Very sad though RIP.

15. dd2189 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:32 PM

Condolences to Martinez’s family, tom brady gonna come out swingin next season.

16. unbreakable02215 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:34 PM

Rest in Peace Mr. Martinez. Condolences to his
    family. You had one heck of a pupil Man.

17. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Feb 21, 2012 10:44 PM

Hopefully Brady will be good enough to pass along what Martinez taught him.

18. prideandpoise says: Feb 21, 2012 10:54 PM

Sad news for sure. As if Tom Brady didn’t have enough motivation going into 2012.

19. adsbad28 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:56 PM

People like Tom are the unsung heros of all professional sports. They are the guys behind the curtain who deserve so much credit for sculpting these athletes to what they become. What a great coach but even a better person, will be sadly missed.

20. mikemc89 says: Feb 21, 2012 10:56 PM

RIP

21. omegaichiban says: Feb 21, 2012 11:06 PM

RIP Mr Martinez

22. armchairqb says: Feb 21, 2012 11:15 PM

RIP. Thanks for helping to create one of the most exciting players of ours or any other generation.

23. gmenmunny says: Feb 21, 2012 11:17 PM

RIP to a great man

24. Andre's Johnson says: Feb 21, 2012 11:23 PM

I know very little about Tom Martinez, I’m not a Patriots/Tom Brady fan, but I do know this: it sucks when people die.

25. gadgetdawg says: Feb 21, 2012 11:34 PM

My condolences to Martinez’s family. Everything I have read tells me he was a great guy. We will be a poorer people for having lost him. Requiescat in pace Mr Martinez.

26. pats54 says: Feb 21, 2012 11:44 PM

RIP Mr. Martinez, thank you for coaching football and helping so many people reach their potential.

27. dmadras says: Feb 21, 2012 11:59 PM

Love people who PROVE teaching mechanics the proper way actually works.

Lots of work and effort go into getting others better, which is why I respect this man so much. He devoted so much of HIS life to help OTHERS succeed….the ultimate act of selflessness. It is his quest of selflessness that will be forever immortal due to the constant forwarding of his research and studies of the throwing mechanics, whom many will try to emulate forever!

R.I.P. to a great educator and even better person.

28. moderndayjhericurl says: Feb 22, 2012 12:00 AM

I don’t know this guy but R.I.P. regardless

29. descendency says: Feb 22, 2012 12:51 AM

He’s done a lot of great things for a lot of young men. Tom Brady may be the reason why the “common public” knows his name, but there are a lot of people that owe their gratitude to him for making them great.

May he rest in peace. My thoughts go out to his family.

30. giselleisasucubus says: Feb 22, 2012 1:12 AM

thats too bad, he had a lot of other issues too…. hey aceboogie, good luck. I hope you find a donor.

31. madisonave99 says: Feb 22, 2012 1:50 AM

R.I.P Coach Martinez and my prayers are with his family as well as Tom. I know this is incredibly hard for him as well

32. raiderstotheship says: Feb 22, 2012 6:15 AM

As a Raider fan I hate the Pats and Tom Brady, but my sincere condolences go out to the martinez family and everyone associated with them.

33. thesaint257 says: Feb 22, 2012 6:16 AM

R.I.P. Tom Martinez………….Life is about more than wins and losses….It accounts for more than just Superbowl rings. But I can promise you this. If you don’t think Brady isn’t motivated and focused to win now, you better watch out. I honestly believe. Brady is going to have one of the best seasons ever. Maybe not 07′. Brady wins his fourth this year

34. joetoronto says: Feb 22, 2012 6:33 AM

I’m sorry to hear about this, all the best to the family, he seemed like a truly great man.

35. quittsburghstoolers says: Feb 22, 2012 7:00 AM

Rest in Peace.

Sadly, his is only one story out of thousands of similar ones.

People need to sign organ donor cards. Many
    people are dying before their time due to the lack
    of donated organs… and it’s not just kidneys, either…

36. bostonhasrealhockey says: Feb 22, 2012 7:06 AM

RIP Mr. Martinez

37. thetruth1313 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:17 AM

R.I.P Tom Martinez

I find it interesting that all the thumbs down on the comments are probably the same people who bring up karma, spygate and the Pats losing the last 2 superbowls.

38. painkiller20 says: Feb 22, 2012 8:05 AM

RIP comments getting thumbs down??????Perfect example of why 90% of the time i don’t read the comments at the bottom.

39. ballboy48 says: Feb 22, 2012 8:12 AM

RIP Mr. Martinez! Condolences go out to his family and friends, as well as Tom Brady! Football is a game, but sometimes it’s those that lead us in the sport, are those that also have a tremendous impact on our lives!

40. jae121704 says: Feb 22, 2012 8:29 AM

If one more person clicks “Thumbs Down” on a comment, I will find you. People have no sympathy. This guy died at 66 years old. I would love to see how you asswipes would feel if this happened to someone you love. RIP Mr. Martinez , and my thoughts are with your family and friends.

41. tigerlilac says: Feb 22, 2012 8:30 AM

It says something about both men that they shared this great intergenerational friendship for most of Brady’s life. It is a message that I would hope all young men and women take to heart. There is much to learn from the wisdom of those that have lived life and are willing to mentor us. That goes beyond facts and skills. It speaks to the human connection we all share.

42. packattack1967 says: Feb 22, 2012 8:59 AM

Heck of a resume he leaves behind. Doing the three step drop for the big guy now.

43. CKL says: Feb 22, 2012 10:45 AM

aceboogie57 says:
    Feb 21, 2012 9:52 PM
    ____________________________________
    3 years? Wow, you’re a fighter ace, good luck to you! :)

I think TB’s dad summed it up best when he said that without Coach Martinez, there is no TB, QB of the Pats. RIP coach and condolences to the family.

44. tdotbronco says: Feb 22, 2012 11:31 AM

aceboogie57 says:
    Feb 21, 2012 9:52 PM

——————————————————

Hey Ace I know exactly what your going threw. Just keep positive and be strong I’ve been there too. I know it sucks but you must believe the one day no more dialysis. Keep strong buddy.

45. khuxford says: Feb 22, 2012 1:54 PM

My heartfelt condolences to Mr. Martinez and everyone that held him dear. He was on ESPN’s Football Today podcast several times that I listened to. His knowledge and love for the game was always evident. He never pulled punches about any of the players he evaluated. Of course, he never had to pull any punches about Brady because there were none to throw: a great QB who treated any instruction he got from Mr. Martinez as the gospel.

I’m not a Pats fan or a Brady fan, but I don’t wish the sort of pain that Tom (or Mr. Martinez’s family) is going through on anyone.

46. gavriloprincip33 says: Feb 22, 2012 2:11 PM

I can’t believe that you people are hitting the Thumbs Down on some of these comments…

Best of luck Ace!

47. patsfiend says: Feb 23, 2012 12:49 AM

Those of us on the Pats board know who the “thumbs down” guys are. Nice guys.

Pretty cool that Brady went back to him this last season, too. I bet he’s glad he had that time with him. Rest in peace, TM.