Griffin prepares for “business trip”

ADIDAS ROBERT GRIFFIN III AP

The NFL world descends on Indianapolis this week, where the Combine officially starts Wednesday with the arrival of some players. (I arrive late Wednesday night in Florio’s discarded VW bus. He now drives a Rolls Royce.)

Media availability starts Thursday, and the player who may get the biggest crowd of the week is Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Griffin only has to impress a few teams. He hasn’t given up hopes on going No. 1 in the draft. If that doesn’t happen, there are a few teams (Cleveland, Washington) that seem likely to attempt to trade up to the No. 2 pick to get Griffin. The Heisman Trophy winner doesn’t see it as some big competition with presumptive top pick Andrew Luck.

Griffin hasn’t ruled out throwing at the Combine, noting that Cam Newton’s throwing session last year didn’t hurt Newton. It could make a statement if Griffin threw and Luck did not.

“I’m getting ready to go to the only combine of my life,” he says. “Next year there won’t be a Wonderlic test, 40-yard dash or interviews with all the teams. So I want to take in the whole experience.”

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Griffin prepares for “business trip””
  1. kmart0319 says: Feb 22, 2012 10:52 AM

It doesn’t sound like this guy has any downside personally or professionally.

2. rascalmanny says: Feb 22, 2012 10:54 AM

Man, the more he speaks, the more red flags go up.

3. braven4evr says: Feb 22, 2012 10:56 AM

Bring on the haters about his height, not throwing and not playing in a pro style offense!

4. neovenator250 says: Feb 22, 2012 10:56 AM

the kid is going about the whole process the right way I think

5. jbcommonsense says: Feb 22, 2012 10:58 AM

The biggest question mark for RGIII is his throwing ability, so throwing as often as possible for the scouts would be a very good thing.

6. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 22, 2012 10:59 AM

He’s a very impressive young man. I just hope if the Redskins trade up for him, they don’t give up too much in the way of future draft picks. I wanna believe, but there’s so many “Can’t Miss” QB’s that have been over hyped, and come out and missed, I’m skeptical. For every Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, there’s a zillion Akili Smiths, Tim Couches, Heath Shulers, JaMarcus Russells, etc…

7. jmi11er says: Feb 22, 2012 10:59 AM

rascalmanny, sarcasm?

8. pedrovillegas21 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:01 AM

he wont go #2 if the RAMS try to rape teams who inquire about trading up

9. AlanSaysYo says: Feb 22, 2012 11:01 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if your boss drove a Rolls-Royce… as Peter King’s chauffeur.

10. brutus9448 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:02 AM

I’d still take luck over RGIII.

11. soldierofislam says: Feb 22, 2012 11:03 AM

Skins will trade up and get this kid, unfortunately they will completely ruin him and not use him properly and he will never live up to what he can be capable of doing, because the skins front office/coaching staff is THAT BAD.

*sigh*

Another sad year for us skins fans :(

12. godcanfirealdavis says: Feb 22, 2012 11:03 AM

He will be a good WR….. Newton has size.. This guy is little. Good luck with that.

13. waxthat says: Feb 22, 2012 11:03 AM

Stud.

14. irishking says: Feb 22, 2012 11:03 AM

Griffin has a relaxed attitude and I think that is good.

15. nflofficeadmin says: Feb 22, 2012 11:04 AM

More like a job interview.. If you’re the CEO of Griffin Enterprises then you are about to sell the company. Soon you will be an employee and someone else will tell you where to be and when. So long CEO, hello employee!! Still, not a bad deal..

16. godofwine330 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:04 AM

@rascalmanny

Man, the more he speaks, the more red flags go up.

————–

Sounds like a bright kid. You do realize he is a college graduate, right? He is going into this realizing that it is not a game, that is plus #1. Him believing that he is CEO of Griffin Enterprises is exactly right. he is like a businessman selling his product which happens to be himself.

When he said that when we (him and Luck) enter the league they won’t be the #1 & #2 QB’s, but more likely the #31 & #32 QB’s.

There is nothing not to like about this guy. I hope he falls in my Browns’ lap at four, but I doubt it.

17. medtxpack says: Feb 22, 2012 11:08 AM

Man, he sure says all the right things. Sounds intellectually lightyears ahead of Newton…

18. snowpea84 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:13 AM

Does he know he might not come in as a starter?
    Regardless, he seems like he has everything you can ask for.

19. davidjcu says: Feb 22, 2012 11:21 AM

“We’ll be more like No. 31 and No. 32″ Its nice to see this kid has humility. To many times these draft picks listen to the hype and think they will take the league over. The way the media gushes over half these guys is ridiculous, and makes them have a pre-mature bust label, when clearly there is a huge learning curve to adjust to the NFL a la Blaine Gabbert who did have a rough start and because he didn’t pick up as quickly we want to make him a bust. I hope Griffin and Luck find great success. I like Griffin over Luck but I want both to be great.

20. bearsrulepackdrool says: Feb 22, 2012 11:23 AM

I just want to see this man’s socks. In the NFL.

21. 69finfan says: Feb 22, 2012 11:24 AM

He’s a Rook. Just shut up, be humble and do what they tell you to do. He’s talking too much. We’ll see how that works out for him.

22. ebeg420 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:25 AM

Oh really?????
    Your product is THROWING A FOOTBALL, I guess you don’t want anyone to see “your product”?

That’s like a one-legged man going to an ass-kicking contest without his boot. (NO!!!! I will not “LOL” at my own joke)!!!!

Come on, MANNNNN!!!!

23. blutbaddenbill says: Feb 22, 2012 11:25 AM

you ain’t much of a redskins fan if you think that!
    you must have been hit one time too many with the koran !

24. ebeg420 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:26 AM

Gotta admit…..—–^—– was good!!!
    I swear I just came up with that!!!

25. rascalmanny says: Feb 22, 2012 11:26 AM

No, my comment wasn’t sarcasm. I’m not crazy about “big talkers”. So many times they fall on their face.

And it can indicate issues. He’s starting to sound like WR diva’s.

But honestly, his biggest issue would be if he gets picked by the Browns. If I’m him I wouldn’t want to sign with the Browns and waste valuable time there.

26. sj39 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:27 AM

If the Rams do trade that pick I hope it is only to the Browns for their two first rounders.

27. rajbais says: Feb 22, 2012 11:27 AM

I’ve always called these scenarios “business meetings”!!!!

Why is RG3 the first to do so???

28. wda628 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:27 AM

I like this guy & think he’s the real deal. Seems to have a level head and is smart. Not a fan of running quarterbacks but he seems able to adapt to NFL and make the throws.

29. haileli says: Feb 22, 2012 11:27 AM

“This is a business trip. I’m the CEO of Griffin Enterprises. It’s my job to go sell my product.”

Griffin just summed up the combine better than anyone else I’ve ever heard. Not throwing isn’t a big deal; plenty of guys have skipped workouts in the past. What he needs to do is sell the “It” factor and make a team believe that he has the ability to lead a team. I have zero interest in watching drills, but if someone put a camera in those interview rooms, they’d have my undivided attention.

30. thraiderskin says: Feb 22, 2012 11:32 AM

I really don’t want the Skins to sacrifice their future for this one guy, giving up 1 or 2 picks is one thing, 3+, which it will take, is stupid. We need O-line, Wide-Out, Corners, Inside-linebacker… Maybe look at some new tight-end talent.

31. bullcharger says: Feb 22, 2012 11:35 AM

godcanfirealdavis says:Feb 22, 2012 11:03 AM

——————

He’s not 6’5″ but he’s still bigger than Brees and Vick at 6’2″ 220. That’s also the same size as Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo.

He’s big enough.

32. clayton43 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:35 AM

Since my team doesnt get to draft at the top nomrally.. is hard for me to really get into the first 10 picks.. last time we had a really low draft was Big Ben … I was happy the way things worked out because Eli and Rivers were pretty much known to be going the first 2 … I hate overhyped QB’s…Seems like more dont work out as to the hype than do and the decision does truely set your franchise back 5 years if you pick wrong or the QB doesnt really work out as well as his slot taken. I think Luck appears to be a better pick at this point…when hearing of teams trading draft picks to move up it would worry me. Since Clevelandd has two.. I would just sit and see if is there and then take him if that is who they want and can get a OL or WR RB with later 1st round pick or poss even tade out of 4 and move back for more draft picks if a team wants to offer something..I just think when your team is really bad … has no real weapons and you need so much..the more draft picks the better to finally build and get back to winning… not giving up draft picks.

33. riverhorsey says: Feb 22, 2012 11:40 AM

A bit over the top III.

34. edukator4 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:42 AM

hard not to cheer for a guy with this attitude. He is asked the questions, so he answers them.
    size is obviously a large factor with athletes, but there are numerous examples of “undersized” players being great.

35. hendawg21 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:55 AM

Sometimes I read the comments of some posters on here and realize what dumba$$es…who watch a sport but have no idea of what the game is truly about….

The biggest thing that makes or breaks a QB in the NFL is the team they get drafted by and that teams approach to the game that being said Griffin will be fine as long as those building the team around him truly know how to build…of course there have been those QB’s who just didn’t have what it took to be a successful NFL QB…it’s all about systems, chemistry and coaching…and lastly look how many of the so called great QB’s who never won a super bowl and then those who were not so great but serviceable who did…Kelly, Marino, etc., very good QB’s then you have the avg serviceable QB’s who won Griese(Bob), Theismann, Rypien, Williams etc.,

36. nineroutsider says: Feb 22, 2012 12:08 PM

rascalmanny says: Feb 22, 2012 11:26 AM

And it can indicate issues. He’s starting to sound like WR diva’s.

———————————————————-
    You really shouldn’t have answered that question and just left it to the imagination, now we now you’re an idiot.

37. cowboyhater says: Feb 22, 2012 12:18 PM

soldierofislam says: Feb 22, 2012 11:03 AM

*sigh*

Another sad year for us skins fans :(

———————————————————

Us skins fans? You certainly do not seem like a skins fan to me, so speak for yourself. If the skins trade up, they will not ruin him, and this is one of the best front office/coaching staff’s since Dan Snyder purchased the franchise. Shanahan has a great history in mentoring young QB’s, so your statements make absolutely no sense. I’ve got an idea for you, how about watching a different team next year since you have no confidence in what this organization is trying to do. It’s not their fault that they have to dig this organization out of this 20 year mismanagement hole.

38. briang123 says: Feb 22, 2012 12:38 PM

39. awdlmd says: Feb 22, 2012 12:46 PM

The smartest thing Griffin could do would be tank the interviews with the worst organizations, like Cleveland, which will always be a QB graveyard. Washington is dysfunctional in it’s own right but at least they have coaches that have built decent offenses in the past.

40. waltdawg says: Feb 22, 2012 1:31 PM

Love this guy! He will be the asset that Snyder has wanted all along.

41. babyhorsemorgan says: Feb 22, 2012 1:36 PM

Couple months ago no one heard of this guy. Now they’ve heard way more than they want to already. He makes Nearly Normal Newton seem low key and likeable by comparison.

42. rufustfireflyjr says: Feb 22, 2012 1:51 PM

briang123 says:
    Feb 22, 2012 12:38 PM

“We all know that if RGIII were white, he’d be the sure-fire number one pick. However, the Fox News watching Republicans come right out and say you never see black quarterbacks in the Super Bowl (conveniently forgetting McNabb was there 7 years ago, McNair 12 years ago, and Doug Williams 23 years ago) so therefore the Colts have to take the white quarterback. Just look at the comments here, calling him a great WR for example. It is a shame how Mr. Griffin is being treated.”

“We” know nothing of the sort. Far be it from me to underestimate the effects of racism, even in today’s society, but the fact that they let anybody with a computer, a keyboard and an ISP post messages doesn’t mean that there aren’t completely valid reasons for choosing Luck over RGIII. For example, Luck is bigger and may be more ready for the NFL than RGIII because of the pro-style system he played in at Stanford. GMs are evaluated based on how many games they win, not on the race of their QBs. I don’t believe that race will be the deciding factor here.

43. rufustfireflyjr says: Feb 22, 2012 2:03 PM

kmart0319 says:
    Feb 22, 2012 10:52 AM
    It doesn’t sound like this guy has any downside personally or professionally.

rascalmanny says:
    Feb 22, 2012 10:54 AM
    Man, the more he speaks, the more red flags go up.

It never ceases to fascinate me how two people can read the same thing and come away with diametrically opposed interpretations. Me? I’m down with kmart. Perhaps rascal was bothered by the CEO comment and Griffin being in Indy to sell his product, but that’s exactly what’s going on there. The NFL is a business and the players are there to showcase their “product,” i.e., their services, so they can sell them at the highest price possible. Any other approach, it seems to me, is naive.

44. gavriloprincip33 says: Feb 22, 2012 2:13 PM

nineroutsider says:
    Feb 22, 2012 12:08 PM
    rascalmanny says: Feb 22, 2012 11:26 AM

And it can indicate issues. He’s starting to sound like WR diva’s.

———————————————————-

————

^^ This

45. mrslay1 says: Feb 22, 2012 3:03 PM

This kids mouth is his biggest problem. Who ever takes him will inherit that problem. I certainly wouldn’t want his mouth representing my team. Someone said he a college graduate so he MUST be smart. That only shows the education does not breed intelligence. Anyone can get a degree, it takes intelligence to know what to do with it. He my have some ability, but he is already pissing people off that will break him into peices in the big league.

46. themonster49 says: Feb 22, 2012 3:17 PM

“This is a business trip,” Griffin told Jarrett Bell of USA Today. “I’m the CEO of Griffin Enterprises. It’s my job to go sell my product.” That’s not cool. Millions nothing, parents you can’t tell your kids to talk like this, and you can’t let them talk like this either. Red Flag #1. Ok maybe it’s an orange flag, but it’s still a flag that is redish in color!

“When we step into the NFL, we’re not going to be the No. 1 and No. 2 quarterbacks in the league,” Griffin said. “We’ll be more like No. 31 and No. 32. So while there may be a competition there, we’re both going to come in with a lot to learn.” Red Flag #2! Does anyone think Peyton Manning thought of himself as anything but the #1 quarterback in the NFL when he entered the NFL?

Sounds confusing but lay it out in order, Me Me My My $$ $$ that’s a bad attitude to have, selfish, conceited, self-centered, and then Im not the best Im not the best He Isnt the best He Isnt the best that’s also a bad attitude, lack of confidence, lack of integrity, show a weakness in seeing yourself as #31 or #32 out of 32 people, show a weakness in bringing someone else down with you by saying they are also #31 or #32.

Not like there are hundreds of other options, but there has got to be a safer option at QB.