Luck still may throw at Scouting Combine

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl - Stanford v Oklahoma State Getty Images

Over the weekend, Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star reported that Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck was willing to throw at the Scouting Combine, but that he was advised by the Colts to wait until his March 22 Pro Day.  Now, however, there’s evidence to the contrary.

Joe Schad of ESPN.com reports that George Whitfield, who worked with Cam Newton a year ago, says that the question of whether Luck will throw at the Scouting Combine remains up in the air.

Whitfield said he has had three sessions with Luck in Los Angeles and will spend three weeks working out with him in advance of his March 22 backyard pitch-and-catch session.

“There are things he wants to work on, but this is refinement not an installation or a surgery,” Whitfield told Schad.  “It’s about getting reps and he’s really a marvel to watch.  Very sound.  Very consistent.  Physically impressive.  A power guy.  A strong guy which people underestimate.  One thing we’ve been doing is working the throws out on the perimeter — those throws outside the hash marks.”

Newton chose to throw at last year’s Scouting Combine.  Mayock said on Tuesday’s PFT Live that, while it wasn’t pretty, Newton followed it with a strong Pro Day that cemented his status as the first overall pick.

The Colts possibly don’t want Luck to throw at the Scouting Combine because they don’t want a poor showing to create the perception that Robert Griffin III may be an equal if not better choice.  Or maybe Jim Irsay has up his sleeve a plan to keep Peyton Manning and trade Andrew Luck for a maximum slew of picks and/or players.

I just laughed when I read that last sentence.

If Luck works out and if the Colts indeed advised him not to do so, the next question becomes whether Luck will show an even greater streak of independence by pulling an Elway/Eli and telling the Colts he doesn’t want to play for them.

That sentence isn’t nearly as funny.  Especially if you’re a Colts fan.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Luck still may throw at Scouting Combine”
  1. diegiantsdie says: Feb 22, 2012 7:38 AM

I hope luck tells irsay to get fd and wants a trade

2. jayhawk6 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:46 AM

“That sentence isn’t nearly as funny. Especially if you’re a Colts fan.”

Oh, but it is to the rest of us who remember the elder Mr. Irsay sneaking his office furniture out of Baltimore in the dark of the night.

3. indywilson40 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:49 AM

As a Colts fan, I am not worried in the least that Luck will refuse to come here. Andrew Luck will be the starting QB in Indy on opening day next year. Take it to the bank.

4. qdog112 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:55 AM

“One thing we’ve been doing is working the throws out on the perimeter — those throws outside the hash marks.”
    ***********************************
    I’ve said repeatedly that Andrew has a real problem throwing the deep outs. Most of his picks were to his right and to the sideline – deep or down the hash 15-20 yards on the right where LBs lurk. He rarely even tried going to the left sideline unless he rolled that way. Not having the best velocity on your ball invites picks by squatting CBs. To avoid that, I expect Luck to continue to dink and dunk, which earned him my nickname of the “check down king”. By the way, why wouldn’t the Colts wanna see him throw, unless they fear they have to take him due to fan pressure and they really think that maybe RG3 is actually better.

5. hooterdawg says: Feb 22, 2012 8:19 AM

@qdog112: Methinks you should reveal your expert credentials lest you continue to be just another ‘BS king’.

6. Topher says: Feb 22, 2012 8:22 AM

The last time the Colts had the first pick overall, Bill Polian created a competition between Manning and Leaf.

Years later we learned that there was never any competition at all but that the Colts created the appearance of competition for a couple of reasons.

1) to create uncertainty for the other teams so they had to expend energy researching various options

2) to lower the salary demands of Manning.

If Luck were to throw and he is as impressive as everyone says he will be than it will be (even more) obvious he will be the #1 and his salary demands (or in this day and age guarantee money demands) will be higher.

If Luck does not throw the Colts can still claim to be deciding between the two quarterbacks.

Luck throwing smells like Peyton Manning advice to this long time Colts observer.

7. Topher says: Feb 22, 2012 8:24 AM

jayhawk6 says:
    Feb 22, 2012 7:46 AM
    “That sentence isn’t nearly as funny. Especially if you’re a Colts fan.”

**********************

I find it fascinating that people forget the Maryland passed legislation that could potentially make the team State Property at midnight.

If the state says “I’m going to take control of your business tomorrow morning” who among us wouldn’t move tonight?

8. Topher says: Feb 22, 2012 8:26 AM

“It’s about getting reps and he’s really a marvel to watch. Very sound. Very consistent. Physically impressive. A power guy. A strong guy which people underestimate. One thing we’ve been doing is working the throws out on the perimeter — those throws outside the hash marks.”

On the one hand he is a power guy with a howitzer for an arm.

On the other hand he needs work on his outside throws.

If you are going to talk up a client, you need to go back to PR school.

9. billinva says: Feb 22, 2012 8:27 AM

It should be all or nothing at the combine, except if you’re injured.

Either you do all the drills, or some other guy should get the invite.

10. indywilson40 says: Feb 22, 2012 8:29 AM

Qdog112, i’m going to say it repeatedly that you have no idea what your talking about. I watched every Stanford game this year and he threw exactly 1 interception on a deep out. One. Luck “checked down” his way to 37 touchdown passes. Sounds like a guy more interested in winning than making an ESPN highlight. You didn’t see downfield td passes from him because they had injuries and inexperience at the wr position. Scouts have no reservations about his arm strength, and arm strength is way overrated anyway.

11. adantsa says: Feb 22, 2012 8:49 AM

I am not a Colts fan, but I hope he does not pull an Eli. The selfishness and lack of modesty from the move Eli pulled (I was not alive when Elway did it) will stick with me, and hes still one of my least favorite players. The Colts have a great fan base and an awesome stadium, kid should be grateful for being so blessed and go be the new hero of Indianapolis for the next decade.

12. realitypolice says: Feb 22, 2012 9:07 AM

No he won’t. Trust me. He won’t.

13. realitypolice says: Feb 22, 2012 9:13 AM

adantsa says:
    Feb 22, 2012 8:49 AM
    ========================

I don’t know what, if anything, you do for a living. But imagine that you went to school or into training for whatever profession you chose, came out at the top of your class, outshining everyone else, and you reward for that was not getting to pick where you worked.

Meanwhile, others in your class who were far inferior to you and not nearly as accomplished, got to pick the company they worked for based upon where they thought they had the best chance to succeed.

Sound fair? Listen, I understand that these guys go into this with their eyes wide open and know that this is the life they have chosen and the draft is part of that.

But unlike you, I don’t resent people who rebel against conformity. Systems are designed to be worked. If you can work it, more power to you.

Don’t be a lemming.

14. rufustfireflyjr says: Feb 22, 2012 9:14 AM

I’m betting that Luck doesn’t throw at the combine. As the presumptive no. 1 pick, he has nothing to gain and a lot to lose. But if Luck does decide to throw, I’m also betting that RGIII throws, too.

15. istillbelieveinblue says: Feb 22, 2012 9:16 AM

Hey jayhawk6…have you forgotten Art Modell? Jim can’t be held responsible for what his father did almost 30 years ago. Most NFL players were either babies or not even alive when the Colts left Baltimore. Time to move on.

16. istillbelieveinblue says: Feb 22, 2012 9:19 AM

Being a “check down king” has worked all right for Tom Brady. He’s going to Dink and Dunk his way to the Hall of Fame. (damn that hurts to say)

17. rufustfireflyjr says: Feb 22, 2012 9:29 AM

billinva says:
    Feb 22, 2012 8:27 AM
    “It should be all or nothing at the combine, except if you’re injured. Either you do all the drills, or some other guy should get the invite.”

O.K., say the powers that be adopt the rule that you propose. An invitee promises to participate in all of the activities, but when the time comes, he begs off, claiming a “twinge” in his shoulder or a “tweaked” hamstring. What then? The bottom line is that there’s no way to force these guys to work out.

And if you try to do so, guys who are guarranteed to be top picks just won’t go and will wait ’til their respective pro days to work out. That’s not what the teams want. They at least want to interview the guys and weigh and measure them at the combine. Your suggested solution sounds good, but it’s unworkable.

18. shadowgm1 says: Feb 22, 2012 9:42 AM

Crafty Colts. Trying to drive up the price of the #1 overall as a somewhat unknown quantity while Manning is still on roster. Good for Luck to go and show what he can do. This may really give him the separation he needs from that puffed up WR Griffin who throws the ball.

adantsa says:Feb 22, 2012 8:49 AM

———————————————————————

I thought he was a punk at first also, but take a look at how many players have had issues with that idiot Smith as the GM. The Mannings have a lot of connections throughout the NFL and undoubtedly knew of a problem when they asked around. He was drafted a season after John Butler had died. That situation may have been quite different had Butler still been in charge.

19. cclaser says: Feb 22, 2012 9:44 AM

Ah the bitter Baltimore comments… Irsay senior was obviously extremely flawed. However, consistently inept city leadership forced Irsay to bolt. How did the threat by the city to take over the team by eminent domain work out for you? Looking forward to the next great Colts quarterback battling the Browns in future playoff games!

20. rufustfireflyjr says: Feb 22, 2012 9:45 AM

adantsa says:
    Feb 22, 2012 8:49 AM
    “I am not a Colts fan, but I hope he does not pull an Eli. The selfishness and lack of modesty from the move Eli pulled (I was not alive when Elway did it) will stick with me, and hes still one of my least favorite players.”

“Selfishness” implies that Manning had some sort of obligation to play for the team that drafted him; there was no such obligation. He simply wanted to exercise the freedom that most of us have to one extent or another, that of choosing his employer. I don’t have a problem with that. And I’m not sure where a “lack of modesty” came into play, either.

21. emaimo80 says: Feb 22, 2012 9:54 AM

It has taken a long time for me to get over what Eli did in the draft, but people change and I’ve got a newfound respect for him now that he has proven that he is one of the best quarterbacks to play the game. If Irsay releases manning, and Andrew Luck pulls an Eli I will laugh my ass off because Irsay has proved this year that he has no business owning an Nfl team due to his lack of Integrity and trustworthyness!

22. jbcommonsense says: Feb 22, 2012 10:40 AM

It would be so sweet if Andrew Luck chooses to wear burgundy n’ gold next year! HTTR!

23. wipackman1265 says: Feb 22, 2012 10:40 AM

When do compensatory picks get awarded ?

24. sj39 says: Feb 22, 2012 10:40 AM

adantsa, it is common knowledge that someone from within the Chargers told Archi Manning that they were a dysfunctional mess from ownership on down and to under no circumstances let Eli go there. That is why he demanded a trade.

25. torridphenix says: Feb 22, 2012 11:09 AM

People, especially Baltimore fans, need to get their facts straight. If you knew anything about why the Colts left you wouldn’t make blanket statements about what the elder Irsay did. The city of Baltimore had just passed an imminent domain claim over the Colts stadium and thus, over the Colts and their main way of making money. Please remember this is before the massive TV and apparel deals, so ticket sales were a major part of revenue for owners.

If one of your businesses were about to be taken from you for practically pennies on the dollar by the State government, wouldn’t you do all you can to protect your investments? Moving was Irsay’s only option. So please stop bringing it up because every one of you would have done the same.

26. hooterdawg says: Feb 22, 2012 2:21 PM

Actually it was the state legislature of MD who passed the eminent domain provision. Bob Irsay and his Colts packed up and left in the dead of night because he got wind of the immediate siezure of the Colts. Possession in 9/10 of the law, so it was the only way to maintain his ownership. My question has always been: where was the NFL league office in all of this?