Mike Wallace: I want to stay in Pittsburgh, but it’s a business

Super Bowl XLV Getty Images

Amid increasing talk that he could leave Pittsburgh, soon-to-be free agent receiver Mike Wallace says he wants to remain with the Steelers. But in the next breath, he acknowledges it’s entirely possible he’ll leave.

Wallace said in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio that he’s not sure if it will be possible for the Steelers to keep him.

“[Pittsburgh is] where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle,” Wallace said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do.”

Wallace is a restricted free agent, and the cap-strapped Steelers aren’t expected to use the franchise tag to hold onto him. That means another team can sign Wallace away for the price of a first-round pick. Wallace said the Steelers and his agent, Bus Cook, are working on getting a deal done before the free agency period starts, but that doesn’t sound likely.

“Yeah, we are talking, but I don`t know how far they are going to get right now because of the situation,” Wallace said. “I know that they are working hard trying to take care of it, but I don`t know. We’ll see.”

What we’re likely to see is Wallace testing the market in three weeks, and signing an offer sheet from another team that the Steelers just can’t afford to match.

Permalink 97 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
97 Responses to “Mike Wallace: I want to stay in Pittsburgh, but it’s a business”
  1. ingraven says: Feb 22, 2012 4:46 PM

come on Baltimore….make it happen. Torrey Smith and Mike Wallace on the outside and Anquan Boldin in the slot where he strives….

2. needle379 says: Feb 22, 2012 4:46 PM

Pitt wants to commit all its money on defense this is what is going to happen once u finally get a great offensive skill player that Pitt will badly miss next year…. Get your Mr.Wallace

3. ticalcaldwell says: Feb 22, 2012 4:47 PM

This has got to hurt…The Steelers won as many playoff games last year as the Bengals…and we are a billion dollars under the cap….oh it hurts doesnt it sixburg…..lol

4. cancelsundayticket says: Feb 22, 2012 4:53 PM

No doubt I would love to see Wallace stay with the Steelers, but, if it comes down to him or Antonio Brown…My vote would be to sign Brown to a long term deal.

More dynamic, IMO.

5. kilo0986 says: Feb 22, 2012 4:55 PM

Well, see you later Wallace. Got to say a 1st round pick will be a huge benefit, and this also gives manny sanders a chance to show his potential wich is huge. And for all those haters…

6. citizenstrange says: Feb 22, 2012 4:56 PM

It is a business and Wallace has to take care of himself and his family first.

I would love to see him stay with the Steelers but if he leaves I wish him only the best ….. except when he plays the Steelers of course.

7. drod2408 says: Feb 22, 2012 4:56 PM

Steelers fans say Goodbye to Mike Wallace. He’s gone, any team with a late 1st round pick should “steal” him away from Pittsburgh. He’s a talented receiver who’s already proven himself to be a top WR in the league. It’s a business means “If I get more money somewhere else, I’m gone.”

8. cali49er707 says: Feb 22, 2012 4:57 PM

he would be perfect in RED & GOLD the way he can stretch the field with his speed & turn a quick screen into a 60yard TD but, to give up a 1st round pick & pay him also is just too much

9. RebelKrishna says: Feb 22, 2012 4:57 PM

He would look great in midnight green.

10. wadecounty93 says: Feb 22, 2012 4:58 PM

please come to miami and line up oposite of brandon marshall!!!!!

11. gdeli says: Feb 22, 2012 4:59 PM

mn has more than 60 minutes for him. We would give him the whole show! come to mn, please mike.

12. tallguyme says: Feb 22, 2012 5:00 PM

come catch some passes from Mr. Tom Brady.

13. steelerfan77 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:04 PM

I hate to see Wallace go but this is the way the Steelers do business, I would like to see some things happen on the O’line so that Bir Ben can throw the ball to our speedy receivers.

I would also like to see our running game get better and more effective.

GO STEELERS!!

14. silverandblack052099 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:04 PM

In other words I want to stay in Pittsburgh but they can’t afford me and I want my money.

15. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 22, 2012 5:04 PM

This kid can really play…but I wouldn’t give up a high 1st, maybe like SF or someone late in the 1st maybe…Time will tell

16. LoCoSu@%s says: Feb 22, 2012 5:05 PM

Why do teams wait until after the season and leave themselves very little time to sign their own players?
    This has always puzzled me.

17. mattmillen4president says: Feb 22, 2012 5:06 PM

I’d prefer taking that first rounder over breaking the bank for him. Just hope he doesn’t end up a raven.

18. Mike Tomlin says: Feb 22, 2012 5:08 PM

I’d say its a great problem to have so many 3rd and 6th round draft picks turn to Pro Bowlers before their rookie contract runs up.

Instead of using these facts to realize that the Steelers will easily find a replacement lets all jump at the opprotunity to call this their downfall.

19. drod2408 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:08 PM

@ Cali 49ers The Niners have the 30th pick in the draft and they need a WR. Why wouldn’t they trade their 30 pick and Pay a proven WR the money instead of drafting a WR that you have no idea if they will work out in the NFL.

20. Mike Tomlin says: Feb 22, 2012 5:09 PM

And as soon as he picks his team, especially if its the Steelers, everyone will be “so glad [my] team didn’t sign that one-trick pony who cant do anything but run deep.”

But for now, you can dream.

21. cletusvandam says: Feb 22, 2012 5:10 PM

cali49er707 says:
    Feb 22, 2012 4:57 PM

———-
    Are you serious? The 49ers have the 30th pick in the draft. They need help (lots of it) at wr. There will be no one in the draft at 30 that can help them half as much as Mike Wallace would. Pull the trigger Niners!

22. moderndayjhericurl says: Feb 22, 2012 5:11 PM

Where are all the “Omar Khan is a cap genius” idiots?

23. st1llerz1 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:12 PM

Wallace is a supreme talent, no doubt. That being said, he doesn’t have the body type that lends itself to becoming a dominant receiver anywhere but to the sidelines. He can fly, no doubt.

Although it would be a shame to see him leave Pittsburgh, an extra first round draft choice from the signing team would certainly look nice at the end of April.

Such is life in today’s NFL. Wallace came in the 3rd round, while Brown came in the 6th round. I have faith in the Pittsburgh management team to replace whatever pieces we lose thorugh attrition or being raided by the enemy. The long term track record speaks for itself.

GO STEELERS!

24. shotgunformation5wide says: Feb 22, 2012 5:13 PM

This is the reason the Steelers drafted Keenan Lewis (CB)… you know … your childhood friend…. your highschool team mate? …. we know you eventually played at Ole Miss with your highschool coach, …. but Keenan had already committed to Oregon. Cmon’ Mike ….don’t break up the team just yet!

Although, if a team blows the top off of any offer similar to the way you blow the top off defenses … No one would blame you.

25. tonyugoh says: Feb 22, 2012 5:16 PM

I will LOL if the Browns sign him for 1 of their 1st round picks. Get a better receiver than Julio Jones plus all the extra draft picks.

26. ppc50 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:17 PM

He may go for the money, don’t blame him, but I, at least, suggest he go to a team that has a strong armed QB. It is similar to Steve Johnson with the Bills, different type of WR, but both are familiar with their systems and have QBs who have faith in them and have worked together. There aren’t too many teams that have QBs like Ben, as well as having the willingness to throw in a 1st round pick and pay him what he wants.

27. mudsuckers says: Feb 22, 2012 5:18 PM

I hate to say it, but I see him in New England, stretching the field for the Pats

28. bleedpurplenblack says: Feb 22, 2012 5:18 PM

Wallace would look beautiful in Raven purple…

29. waxthat says: Feb 22, 2012 5:22 PM

@cali49er

Fellow 49ers fan here…I agree with you but he is worth the coin.

He fills a need for sure. Tough to give up that first, but willing and worth it..in my opinion. Most first rounders are busts and Baalke has proven he can make great picks in later rounds. I say..let’s do it.

May be able to trade up into the early second and grab Fleener too. WOW.

30. stairwayto7 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:22 PM

If Wallace leaves he has to go to a team with a great veteran qb who can throw the ball deep and not an average qb and a qb who dumps 10 yard passes..see Balt, San Fran, New England.. Wallace stays in Pitt….

31. nepatsfan4life says: Feb 22, 2012 5:23 PM

He would answer the pats problems on offense. Top 10 reciever and the deep thret we need. Would be great to hVe when Brady’s gone as a building block for the future. Come on bill dump one of those two picks off and make a move!

32. razic3k says: Feb 22, 2012 5:24 PM

can players figure out something else to say other than “it’s a business” ?

33. eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:25 PM

Getting Wallace is the ONLY excuse I’ll accept for not retaining Djax, if we don’t retain Djax.

34. mmmpierogi says: Feb 22, 2012 5:26 PM

I’d love to see him re-signed, but ultimately, if he leaves, he leaves. If Brown and Sanders continue developing along the trajectories they’re on, how realistic is it to think the Steelers could actually sign all three long term? If they could, awesome. I’m not sure how feasible a scenario that is, however, and if it is not feasible, it makes more sense to deal with the adjustments associated with someone leaving now rather than have them all stay on and adjust down the road.

Talented WRs have left the Steelers before when they had equal or less depth at the position than they do now and the world didn’t come crashing down.

35. buzzedlitebeer says: Feb 22, 2012 5:28 PM

He’s not as good as everyone thinks. After all the Steelers were only 21st in scoring. Take the 1st round pick.

36. yogikenobi says: Feb 22, 2012 5:29 PM

Less than 400 yards in the final 8 games. Yeah, I’d take that first round pick I think. On the other hand…take away Hines’ contract and the Steelers have like 14 cents tied up in the position so it can’t be that difficult.

37. rc33 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:30 PM

Might wanna 86 the “Pittsburgh will always be in my heart” thing.
    I’ve found that teams spending tens of millions on you for your services might not wanna hear that.

38. tjacks7 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:32 PM

Twos that come to mind:

Houston: low draft pick.. Schaub throwing to AJ, Daniels, and Wallace, with that run game? Plus the defense playing really well? Could be scary.

New England: could use a guy to stretch the field for Welker, Henandez, and Gronkowski. Would definitely be worth the 31st pick, which I assume theyd give up – not the pick from new Orleans. Heck, it’d be worth either of those picks.

39. rodgers419 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:34 PM

“he would be perfect in RED & GOLD”

What team is that?

40. djaehne says: Feb 22, 2012 5:35 PM

Hey, great insight and now all you have to do is
    figure out how to fit him under the cap once your
    top five qb gets all the cash.

41. flaccounibrow says: Feb 22, 2012 5:35 PM

__________________________________

Wait and see. The bungals will figure a way to screw it up. They are a just sniff ahead of Cleveland in that category. And by the way, how many championships have your orange and black won? I’ll take the Steelers front office any day of the week. And that playoff loss was predicated on injuries. What was yours based on?

42. cali49er707 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:36 PM

i understand he is a good young player but to give up a 1st round pick & pay him considering the draft & how deep the free agency WR class is NO WAY WORTH THE MONEY & DRAFT PICK

43. apcsteel says: Feb 22, 2012 5:36 PM

The steelers still have 3 weeks they will get a deal done goodbye hines, smith, and farroir. Plus they can franchise him

44. hawkforlife says: Feb 22, 2012 5:42 PM

Isn’t it funny that when a player wants $$ it’s a business and they hold out or leave and that’s OK but when the team wants to cut back a salary to keep a guy, cut or trade a player the same players claim it’s awful what these teams do and they show no loyalty.

Ah well, welcome to the off season.

45. rasta74 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:42 PM

Cmonnnnn Dolphins…make it happennnn!!!!

46. jcioffi1485 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:43 PM

AJ Green & Mike Wallace. Oh hell yeah

47. pitt9292 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:43 PM

As a Steeler fan u dont wanna lose Wallace but take a peek at the last 10 yrs and we have let Holmes go for a bagga doughnuts and told Plex where the door was. 2 talented wrs and still went to the Super Bowl. The org will do what is best for the team as they have in the past.

48. steveack says: Feb 22, 2012 5:52 PM

A late first round pick will cost the Steelers 3-4 million less over the contract then what Wallace will make in his first year. There are not many teams that will want to make that investment. Ravens, Pats and SF could all use him but considering the cost they will have to think hard. I would hate to see him go but if the Steelers can solidify the O line or D line, with a second pick in the first round, it might be the wiser decision to let him go. Especially after he disappeared in the second half of the season, it is a business after all.

49. ravensfan313 says: Feb 22, 2012 5:53 PM

Antonio Brown may be more dynamic now, as a #2 receiver. But if Wallace leaves and Brown becomes #1 it wouldn’t be very smart to keep him as KR and PR. Not to mention, Brown will then get the double coverages as well. Wallace makes Brown better.

50. dennychimes says: Feb 22, 2012 5:54 PM

@kilo0986. During the recent Super Bowl The comentators made reference to Records of other teams/players and the possibilty of them being broken. During this reference they used and posted on T.V. the past records set by NFL Champioship teams, and records from the PRE Super Bowl Era were included with Super Bowl ERA teams. Including the past records of PRE S/B teams-players makes your 6 comment a moot point! As other teams have almost twicw as many Championships then your Beloved Steelers. The Packers have won the most titles with 13 and the Chicago Bears are 2nd with 9 titles. The Cleveland Browns are 3rd with 8 total championships counting 4 from AAFL The Giants are 4th with 7 championships and the Steelers have won 6. Just saying……..

51. alldonesmith says: Feb 22, 2012 5:56 PM

See Cliff Avril? THIS is how you handle it.

52. waccoforflacco says: Feb 22, 2012 5:59 PM

It, as always will be Ozzie’s decision, but I would love to steal Wallace from the Stoolers just to piss them off and make their fans hate the Raven Nation all the more.

53. emmac13 says: Feb 22, 2012 6:01 PM

Hope he goes elsewhere.

54. bucks12965 says: Feb 22, 2012 6:03 PM

Although he is a very good player, I don’t think he will get many teams that will be willing to give up a first round pick in addition to the high salary he will undoubtedly demand.

55. legeisyaj says: Feb 22, 2012 6:07 PM

With two 1st rd picks, perhaps the Pats will make. Play for this deep threat. Seems perfect…

56. cannonballdookie says: Feb 22, 2012 6:17 PM

ticalcaldwell says: Feb 22, 2012 4:47 PM

———————————-

Who gives a crap. Cinci didn’t beat a team with a winning record and probably won’t spend the cap money anyways. It will be difficult for them to repeat last year’s success. You’ll take any small victories though I guess when your team doesn’t even compare in the past 10 years.

57. Bubby Brister says: Feb 22, 2012 6:44 PM

I’d bet all 6 Lombardi Trophies that he’ll still be playing for the Steelers next year.

58. sixburghrules says: Feb 22, 2012 6:50 PM

I have faith in Colbert. They will assess, allocate resources where needed and draft pretty well. They are very good at assessing new talent at least in the early rounds and even undrafted players.

I think that they could cut Mendenhall and save some cap space since they have Redman waiting in the wings. Keep Moore at a lower salary this year.

There is still plenty of time to see how Colbert & crew will free up cap space.

No problem if Wallace walks! You win with the players you have on the field. No matter what the standard is the same!

59. sixburghrules says: Feb 22, 2012 6:58 PM

waccoforflacco says: Feb 22, 2012 5:59 PM

————————————————————
    Only so Flacco can overthrow/under throw him.

He was a product of the system and Ben is BETTER than Flacco

60. sixburghrules says: Feb 22, 2012 7:03 PM

The only place it would be scary for him to land is in NE or GB. GB is not a likely candidate cause they already have issues with cap & WR’s. Maybe Houston Johnson & Wallace would be a huge threat but I don’t know how they will be cap wise once they re-sign Mario

61. stinkfist5 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:06 PM

I’d love to see him running routes for Joe Flaccooo, but with they Ravens’ cap situation, I highly doubt they’ll even contact Wallace’s agent.

62. steelerstom says: Feb 22, 2012 7:07 PM

800 yds first 8 games 5 tds
    393 yds last 8 games 3tds
    3 catches 26 yds 0 tds in playoff game
    How much do you really want to spend on him? Don’t get me wrong I love his speed but declining numbers in more important games doesn’t impress me. Also don’t want to hear all the Ben was injured stuff cause Ben wasn’t protected well all year! Keep him for the right $, say goodbye and take the draft pick if he wants to much. Take those second half numbers and double them, thats a pretty mediocre season so don’t over pay the jury is still out on him . Let all the knee jerk reaction teams overpay, the Steelers rarely if ever do thank God.

63. discosucs2005 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:10 PM

They should and probably will let him go. He’s a great player, but speed is replaceable (especially if your Pittsburgh and all of your WRs are apparently like lighting.) They will get a first rounder for him, and the back end of their WR core can pick up the slack.

64. kilo0986 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:21 PM

65. agc99 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:22 PM

He drops too many passes and doesn’t catch the ball with his hands. Let him go. Look how successful Nate Washington has been since he left steelers.

66. stevincinci says: Feb 22, 2012 7:29 PM

————————————————————-

The Bengals still made the playoffs with a rookie qb and wr. That’s better than the 10 other teams in the AFC that didn’t make it can say. You play who you are scheduled. Blame the NFL for their scheduling, Cannonballgoofie! And, they have to spend the cap money if you read the new CBA.

67. eddiemeredith says: Feb 22, 2012 7:31 PM

It would be an incredible move for any team that needs a receiver but can’t get one of the top 3 in the draft. In earnest comparison he is probably about the same as Kendall wright who is expected to go top 15 but a couple years older, but also a proven commodity. There are a number of teams for who this would be a great pick. the pats, the 49ers, the texans… hell anyone who needs a receiver and has some cap room

68. qtraven says: Feb 22, 2012 7:33 PM

Don’t think the Ravens will have the cap space to offer a deal. Wouldn’t mind giving up the 28th pick overall. Would definitely be addition by subtraction for us.

69. cliffordc05 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:48 PM

Wallace would be a great fit in NE and they have the draft picks and a recent history of not knowing what to do with them.

70. radrntn says: Feb 22, 2012 7:49 PM

i would think the niners would be all over this

71. sixburghrules says: Feb 22, 2012 7:58 PM

eddiemeredith says: Feb 22, 2012 7:31 PM

——————————————
    There are plenty of receivers that are

72. sixburghrules says: Feb 22, 2012 8:03 PM

To complete my post that the spacebar made. There are an abundance of them I think Steelers wil be fine even if Wallace walks! If he doe it will be some lower tier team but they won’t have the QB or the supporting staff

73. ballboy48 says: Feb 22, 2012 8:18 PM

It would crazy if Cleveland goes after Wallace, and drafts Griffin III. Talk about stretching the field.

74. raqaiw says: Feb 22, 2012 8:41 PM

kilo0986 says: Feb 22, 2012 7:21 PM

Dennychimes, thanks for the history lesson but only a small percentage of people care or acknowledge pre superbowl era championships when there was about 10 teams in the league. My point is not moot, only 1 team has won 6 superbowls and thats the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    ______________________________________
    If that’s the case then the Steelers first 4 SBs don’t count since they happened 35-40 years ago. You can’t have it both ways, ignoring history for them and remembering it for you.
    This is just one of many reasons people hate Steelers fans. Most don’t really care about the team, it’s the front-runner fans people detest.

75. dan55moore says: Feb 22, 2012 8:45 PM

All i hear is how the ravens will get him definetly not you have a qb expecting top 5 money and a rb expecting AP money and there almsot in the same position the steelers are cap wise the Bengals,49ers,Texans,Pats are all in the best possible postions to give up there 1st round pick

76. northsidesteel says: Feb 22, 2012 8:51 PM

I love Wallace, and would love to see the Steelers keep him, but the bottom line is that Mike’s job is to make as much money as he can. The Steeler’s job is to field the best possible team they can under the constraints of the cap. I don’t see both happening with Mike staying in Pittsburgh. I wish Mike well in every regard until his future team plays Pittsburgh, but I also have great confidence in the Steeler front office find his replacement. They are the ones that found Mike, and they will find another diamond in the rough to take his place.

77. jrich4210 says: Feb 22, 2012 9:08 PM

He will be signed with another team for the 21st pick in round 1

78. steelersarewhatfootballisabout says: Feb 22, 2012 9:14 PM

Oh good God, people are gonna talk about the Packer’s and Cleveland Browns having more championships than the Steelers? Really? It’s easier to tout that stat around when the NFL had less teams, no salary cap, a much less detailed draft process, much less detailed scouting process, etc etc etc.
    They have their championships from past eras fair and square, but let’s be careful about comparing that to what Pittsburgh’s had to adapt to over the last 40 years. The Pack just won one in the new era, so good for them. But they had a loooong drought until Favre came along.
    It’s like those goddamn pissant Yankees fans that tout their World Series championships. It’s a hell of a lot easier to rack up the titles when the league was first starting out and they wanted the Yankees to be their Cadillac to showcase the league.

79. jimmer2372 says: Feb 22, 2012 9:21 PM

Gotta love how so many posters(especially Ravens fans) love to talk about how scummy the Steelers are and they get their chance to steal one away and they get all excited.

80. chiefs006 says: Feb 22, 2012 9:22 PM

Chiefs!!

81. reed20ravens says: Feb 22, 2012 9:22 PM

yeah send him to the miami marlins… or the anaheim angels

82. steelersarewhatfootballisabout says: Feb 22, 2012 9:26 PM

And the last I checked, if people wanna throw around their weight about past titles, did the Packers or the Browns win 4 titles in what was it for the 70’s Steelers, 6 or 7 years? I looked on Wikipedia, and it looks like the Packers might have if I have the records right. But again, they’re rackin’ em up when the league was much, much different, and wasn’t the top sport in the country.

83. steeltuff says: Feb 22, 2012 9:30 PM

I would like for the team to keep him, but a #1 draft choice sounds great too. They also have Hines and Jericho Cotchery in the mix too, although I don’t see them keeping Ward. In order to sign Antonio Brown and Emmanual Sanders next year, this divorce from the “60-Minute Man” might be in order. His speed is exceptional, but overall he is not as good a receiver as Brown and Sanders are.

84. ispysomething7 says: Feb 22, 2012 10:05 PM

Maybe the Steelers shouldn’t have overpaid 2 injury proned players as Troy and Ben. Maybe then they would have more money to sign key free agents. One of the reasons Brown was so good was because of Wallace. Good luck next year. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass!

85. cannonballdookie says: Feb 22, 2012 11:00 PM

I’m a youngish Steelers fan and my rule has always been you have the right to brag about any championship you were alive for. I don’t go around boasting my team has 6 rings, and it’s even worse hearing fans boast about what their team did pre-Super Bowl era. The past is the past.

With that said, I just thought it was funny seeing a Bengals fan trying to say their team was better because they made it to the playoffs with a lower salary, like that really means anything. Pittsburgh had the better record and won both games vs them, they were the better team.

86. kevinb73 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:26 PM

Welcome to Tampa Bay Mike!!

Go Bucs!!!

87. gator2006 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:28 PM

go catch bombs from newton

88. polo550 says: Feb 22, 2012 11:57 PM

dejahne says:

Hey, great insight and now all you have to do is
    figure out how to fit him under the cap once your
    top five qb gets all the cash.
    ———————————-

I love your insight into the Ravens cap situation. The Ravens have way more flexibility with their cap than the Steelers have. They don’t have to do Flacco’s contract this year, they choose to. We’ve incorporated young talent on both offense and defense to go along with the vets. It’s nobody’s fault but your front office that you have a ton of money tied up in a bunch of dudes that are ready for Shady Pines retirement home. We don’t need Wallace. As a matter of fact you can keep him. He only runs one pattern anyway. I’m more afraid of the Bengals at this point.

89. bobhk says: Feb 23, 2012 3:34 AM

steelersarewhatfootballisabout says:
    Feb 22, 2012 9:26 PM
    And the last I checked, if people wanna throw around their weight about past titles, did the Packers or the Browns win 4 titles in what was it for the 70′s Steelers, 6 or 7 years? I looked on Wikipedia, and it looks like the Packers might have if I have the records right. But again, they’re rackin’ em up when the league was much, much different, and wasn’t the top sport in the country.
    ——–
    This is a bunch of crap. They are all called NFL title and the old ones are not viewed any less than the one won this year.
    It’s stating the obvious by saying the league was different in the earlier years than now. But that is true also when the steelers were dominating in the 1970s. I could name many but how about 14 game schedule. Then we can say what the pats have done recently is better than what the steelers have done. Is that right? I don’t think so.

However when we measure the success of a franchise we measure it by the number of championships. In that regard packers, giants, etc are better than the steelers.

90. wldkat says: Feb 23, 2012 5:06 AM

I like Mike, but even if the Steelers had room under the cap, he still isn’t worth Larry Fitzgerald money. Let Baltimore take him. They still don’t have a QB who can get the ball to him.

91. bospat says: Feb 23, 2012 6:10 AM

Make it happen Bill, Pats have extra 1st rounder that you would waste on trading down or getting another useless CB…weaken the enemy at the same time – perfect…

92. ninersforlife15 says: Feb 23, 2012 6:17 AM

As a HUGE 49ers fan, I would love to see Wallace as a 49er. He would be that dynamic piece we need on offense. Plus, he would def. take the heat off Crabtree and you would also have two really explosive deep threats in Davis and Wallace. The price of a 1st rounder isn’t that bad either for a realitivley young player. However, as much as I would like to see this happen, I don’t think it will because the 49ers very rarely trade draft picks, they build through the draft every year. Also, if the Eagles are going to franchise DeSean Jackson then you might as well see their asking price is as far as picks go (assuming the 49ers are interested in giving up a first rounder for Wallace) because he is both a speedster and a probowl receiver who also returns kicks and punts. Meaning you can let Ginn walk and kill two birds with one stone.

93. sudz28 says: Feb 23, 2012 6:20 AM

How refreshing to hear an athlete sound so mature and professional – I agree with everything he says. I would HATE to see him leave the Steelers of course, but I also understand he’s got to go where he’s going to get fully compensated. He also acknowledges what the Steelers have done for him and meant to him instead of throwing them under the bus or complaining as a way of trying to gain leverage like so many NFL players do when contracts dome due. I hope he gets every dime he deserves, I just hope it’s still with the Black and Gold. If not, best of luck Mike and thanks for several great seasons!

94. quittsburghstoolers says: Feb 23, 2012 6:34 AM

Sure, he wants to stay but he wants to get paid, too.

He ain’t gonna accept what little the team can afford.

He’s a goner ‘cuz the team can’t manage
    their salary cap properly…

95. quittsburghstoolers says: Feb 23, 2012 6:55 AM

@ bobhk:

Please don’t confuse Steeler fans with the facts…

96. dumbaseinstien says: Feb 24, 2012 2:21 AM

2 things:

1) Virtually every player who left Pittsburgh for money regretted it. They don’t get the bonus checks associated with winning title & playoff games. They don’t get the endorsement dollars because their names just melt into the past! Great teams make players great…not the other way around. The league is full of great players on failing teams!

2) Pittsburgh is the breeding ground of skilled players…when one drops off, they retool!

97. dlmcc1010 says: Feb 25, 2012 6:52 PM

First round pick is more than worth it for a young WR who can dominate like this kid can