Mayhew says Burleson, Williams won’t be cut

Getty Images

Last week on PFT Live, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press suggested that the Lions could cut receiver Nate Burleson and defensive lineman Corey Williams in order to free up cap space.

On Friday, Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew was clear:  Both men will be back in 2012, at their current salaries.  According to Tim Twentyman of the team’s official website, Mayhew said neither man will be cut, and their contracts won’t be restructured.

Per NFLPA records, Burleson is due to earn a base salary of $4 million in 2012.  Williams will make $4.9 million in base salary this season.

And so, if the Lions plan to keep both men and also sign some of their free agents and maybe pick up a free agent or two, they’ll need to extend receiver Calvin Johnson’s contract, in order to knock down that cap number of $21 million.