Robert Griffin III wins the press conference

Robert Griffin III AP

Robert Griffin III stepped up to the podium at the Combine Friday, surveyed the massive throng of reporters getting in position, and whispered under his breath, “It’s really official now.”

With a microphone nearby, even that comment was audible to those in the front few rows. Everything Griffin says and does over the next decade is going to be scrutinized. It’s hard to imagine another young man more ready for the responsibility.

It’s only a press conference, but Griffin couldn’t have been more impressive, comfortable, intelligent, and funny on Friday. Press conferences are part of the gig to being an NFL quarterback. Teams like the Browns, Redskins, and Dolphins have to be excited about trying to make Griffin the face of their franchise.

“I hope somebody falls in love with me — other than my fiancée,” Griffin said when asked about the Browns possibly “falling in love” with him.

Some highlights from the session:

1. Griffin won’t throw at the Combine, just his Pro Day.

2. He wore Ninja Turtle socks Friday. Naturally.

3. On playing a lot of out of the shotgun: “It’s not the traditional spread where we’re playing out of shotgun all the time. Although we are in shotgun a lot. So was Tom Brady and Eli Manning in the Super Bowl, but that’s beside the point.”

4. The Eagles met with Griffin Thursday night. He will meet with the Chiefs and Browns Friday night. He mentioned the Browns and Redskins as West Coast offenses he could fit in. Griffin said it would be “an honor to play the Browns.”

5. On possibly playing for the Colts: “I’ve talked to Peyton a few times. It’d be amazing for him to play out his career here — and to play behind him. . . . It would be an honor to sit back and learn. I’d hold that clipboard with pride.”

6. On suggestions the Baylor offense is simple: “I’d like to sit down with those folks and show how simple it is. It’s not a simple offense. It’s a great offense. It’s a quarterback friendly offense, but simple would not be the word to describe it.”

Permalink 75 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
75 Responses to “Robert Griffin III wins the press conference”
  1. lolb23 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:29 PM

Browns or Redskins is like punch to stomach or kick to nuts

Bright side: Rams already have a QB

2. jhart615 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:30 PM

Contrary to what all those on the hype train will say, he’s still not on Luck’s level.

Lucks supposed to be the next John Elway. RG3 is the next…Michael Vick?

Please….

3. vegaskid21 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:30 PM

WOW!!! So much for Colt McCoy.

4. kmart0319 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:34 PM

Again, I can’t see a downside to this guy…

5. therillest says: Feb 24, 2012 2:36 PM

I love this Kid!

6. supremeomega says: Feb 24, 2012 2:39 PM

Stud!

7. dixon29 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:39 PM

As a Browns fan this is great. I know many people will laugh at his comments because of how bad the Browns have been recently but it is obvious that RGIII would love to be the face of the Browns franchise.

8. norseyapper says: Feb 24, 2012 2:41 PM

This guy went from being “little known” to being the most interesting player in the draft. Who knows if he’ll be a star in the NFL, but you have to like everything about the kid both mentally as well as physically.

9. jayhawk6 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:41 PM

Sounds much like Cam Newton but without the baggage.

10. cardiovascularendurance says: Feb 24, 2012 2:44 PM

Does this mean Andy Reid will be wearing dreadlocks on draft day?!?

11. donterrelli says: Feb 24, 2012 2:45 PM

Why would the Eagles interview him? It’s not like they have a chance of drafting him.

12. capslockkey says: Feb 24, 2012 2:48 PM

“Again, I can’t see a downside to this guy…”

Played in a spread offense and is a one year wonder. Got dinged up a few times in college. Plus the Heisman has been more of a curse than a blessing as far as QBs are concerned at the next level.

That being said, I’d still take the guy in the top 5 if my team needed a QB.

13. beavertonsteve says: Feb 24, 2012 2:49 PM

Griffin said it would be “an honor to play the Browns.”

I’m hoping that’s not what he said… I’m guessing somebody missed a “for” in there.

14. bigzant82 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:50 PM

HE SAID IT WOYLD BE AN HONOR TO PLAY THE BROWNS??

HMM HE TALKED BOUT BROWNS IN THE 2nd-3rd person does that mean somebody will pick him or he those not want to come to cleveland??
    if so hey we dont want ya da same height as McCoy but a better arm and faster umm we’d like 6-4 QB and better with great arm

15. raven410 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:51 PM

I see him going to the Skins. As a Ravens fan..I’m praying he doesn’t go to the Browns.

16. jackm79 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:54 PM

This kid is THE BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. Luck is a good player. He is blown up by the media way to much. RG3 will turn any team into a winner. Yes, even the Browns or Skins.

17. smitty012 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:55 PM

Browns better get this guy…..

18. pmars64 says: Feb 24, 2012 2:56 PM

Screw all the recent Browns talk about Flynn!! Since they are in the best position to draft this guy – by far – passing on him could haunt the franchise for more than a decade. You HAVE to roll the dice, sacrifice some draft picks, and make the move.

19. PriorKnowledge says: Feb 24, 2012 2:58 PM

oh plz shanahan, figure out a way to get this guy

20. fatcamper says: Feb 24, 2012 2:59 PM

I hope there isn’t a closet full of skeletons somewhere for him because so far he seems too good to be true.

21. tommythek says: Feb 24, 2012 3:00 PM

Buddy Ryan and his sons all had great,funny, entertaining press conferences. That really translates well to the scoreboard.

22. vysethelegend says: Feb 24, 2012 3:02 PM

Ninja Turtle socks? I want this man on my team!

23. gutcheck907 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:05 PM

Here we go Brownie shere we go–make the deal already!!

24. TheNaturalMevs says: Feb 24, 2012 3:05 PM

jeff blake ceiling

25. purplecrowe says: Feb 24, 2012 3:05 PM

Teams are gonna line-up for this guy, not that they aren’t already. I wish I was in the Rams position, there’s a Mike Lynn/Ditka born every day…

26. Soulman45 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:06 PM

Will both be great will one be great will both go out like a ball of fire in a rain storm.
    What will the talking heads say when both can’t make it.

27. deegizzle says: Feb 24, 2012 3:10 PM

I love how the media still feels the need to point out when “certain types” of players sound “intelligent and articulate.” Was Griffin in special ed or something?

I wonder if any Andrew Luck articles will highlight how intelligent he sounded at his press conference.

The “Oh he speaks so well” stuff these days is ridiculous.

28. babyhorsemorgan says: Feb 24, 2012 3:14 PM

Doesn’t take much to impress you, obviously. I thought he was transparently phony and self serving. Pandering to the lowest common denominator. Didn’t see any intelligence or “charm” at all. I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder.

29. t2live says: Feb 24, 2012 3:17 PM

I hope the Skins get him but I don’t think they will. The Browns have 2 1st round picks in the draft. Skins only have one. Which means the Skins will sacrifice something greater to get RGIII.

30. seangifford says: Feb 24, 2012 3:19 PM

If press conferences won football games, this would carry a lot of weight…..Luck to the Colts in a landslide.

31. raiderlyfe510 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:20 PM

RG3 is simply the best QB prospect in this draft.

32. footballace says: Feb 24, 2012 3:21 PM

This guy isn’t going to throw because he isn’t familiar with the receivers? Really? If your a competitor you would be out there no matter who the receiver is. Same with Luck. This is a red flag for me. I want ball players who want to compete no matter what the circumstances are.

33. sbad1985 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:23 PM

Most folks think Luck is so much the better QB. It reminds me a little bit of the year people thought Alex Smith was so much better than the lowly Aaron Rogers. Smith was chosen #1 in the draft. Aaron Rodgers, the poor stepchild QB, was chosen later in the 1st round. People who diss RGIII may be surprised. He could be the Aaron Rodgers of this draft.

34. qdog112 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:29 PM

RG3 is one of the top players in Indy and possibly the smartest in the room. Imagine what he will mean to somebody’s locker room if he can reach 70% of the envisioned playmaking ability. He has a real future ahead of him in whatever field he chooses. As a proud father of a daughter – this guy is definitely, son-in-law material. Good luck Senator Griffin.

35. eleventyeight says: Feb 24, 2012 3:31 PM

Apparently RGIII is just a shade better than Luck.

Where was this guy last year when Luck was already a #1 overall? Has he gotten THAT much better in just one year?

We’ll see. Check back here in 3 years, huh?

36. lbmclean says: Feb 24, 2012 3:32 PM

I am a Dolphins fan but I think it would be great for the league if RGIII became a Brown

we could use a RT and a pass rusher just as much as a rookie QB right now

37. cannonballdookie says: Feb 24, 2012 3:33 PM

This guy is a dream come true for the Browns franchise. They need more than anything a superstar player that fans around the league will take notice to. They’ve never had much in terms of a recognizable face in the past few years. Their own fans are always on board, but they need to become relevant around the league again.

38. eleventyeight says: Feb 24, 2012 3:41 PM

I’ll tell you one thing that seperates Luck from RGII- academics.

It takes as much in the brain as in the brawn these days as a QB.

I admit i don’t know either player’s GPA, but i’ll betcha Luck’s is higher…

39. artisan3m says: Feb 24, 2012 3:45 PM

RGIII will excel because he has a sixth sense not found in a lot of quarterbacks. He is more than a “statistical” show pony ( but his stats aren’t that shabby, either). Griffin makes good decisions on the fly ~ its instinct that cannot be taught. And he is intelligent ~ enough to know that he will have to adapt to the NFL and it won’t be the other way around. I just hope he has a chance to develop before having the weight of a franchise dumped on him. That is really unfair for any rookie QB and especially one a full year short in collegiate experience. RGIII simply has to stay healthy ~ and humble ~ to succeed in the NFL.

40. joewilly70 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:47 PM

his footwork is atrocious. If he’s branded as a pass first multi talented quarterback that has GOT to go.

41. hendawg21 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:48 PM

I’ve seen this classic movie “Mr. Griffin goes to Washington”…my only concern is whether he goes to Cleveland or Washington or any other NFL division how well will his body stand up to 16 NFL games the hits in the NFL are far greater than anything he faced at Baylor or for that matter what Luck faced at Stanford…I mean come on even Manning 1&2, Brady, Brees etc., get hit….

42. crack27back says: Feb 24, 2012 3:50 PM

You realize that the Eagles only interviewed him to see what they will be competing against twice a year.

43. hendawg21 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:51 PM

Someone mentioned GPA’s RGIII 3.67 Andrew Luck 3.55

44. hendawg21 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:54 PM

eleventyeight says:
    Feb 24, 2012 3:41 PM
    I’ll tell you one thing that seperates Luck from RGII- academics.

It takes as much in the brain as in the brawn these days as a QB.

I admit i don’t know either player’s GPA, but i’ll betcha Luck’s is higher…

look above you were wrong

45. RexCanCoach says: Feb 24, 2012 3:56 PM

NY Jets PLEASE

46. RexCanCoach says: Feb 24, 2012 3:56 PM

Please trade up NY Jets and grab this guy.

Offer Sanchez and Revis.

47. godofwine330 says: Feb 24, 2012 3:58 PM

I’d like, no, love to have the guy on my team. I just don’t want to have to give up my second first round pick and not get the receiver OR right tackle/guard that we sorely need. Without another receiver, RGIII may as well be Colt McCoy with a stronger arm and better athletic ability. Please fall in our laps (crosses fingers), if only Minnesota had have beaten the Bears the last game of the season we would be picking #3.

48. conjecture101 says: Feb 24, 2012 4:11 PM

I can’t root for this guy if he’s going to be this much of a media darling. I hate the consensus that you are required to be media savvy and a great public speaker to be a great player in the NFL. It’s just not the case.

I much prefer the Randy Moss, Jay Cutler type approach where you simply don’t care.

49. olskool711 says: Feb 24, 2012 4:14 PM

Few things to consider:

If the Rams or Vikes trade with the Redskins they will not get the player they want. They will, in essence, trade out of the prime beef of the draft.

Which leads me to believe that it will take at least 2 firsts and 2 seconds for the Redskins to pull off a trade.

If the Rams or Vikes end up trading with the Browns (not all Brown’s fans think its a good idea to trade up) they will end up with the player they want and …

Hopefully the Browns are smart enough to realize this.

The Browns should offer no more than the 4th and 37th. If not, then just sit and see what happens. Worst case, Trent Richardson (not a bad scenario at all).

50. ytownie says: Feb 24, 2012 4:23 PM

” I’ll tell you one thing that separartes Luck and RGIII is academics. I’ll bet Luck’s GPA is higher.”
    Why would you say that– because he’s black and has dredlocks. For your information RGIII was also recuited to Stanford. He already has a Masters Degree to go along with his Bacholars. And he is planning on going to law school.
    Is that smart enough for you.

51. manzoa says: Feb 24, 2012 4:25 PM

Oh my…let the man-love affair with RG3 begin. Did Colon Cowturd fit him for the yellow jacket yet as he did with Reggie Bush BEFORE Bush ever took a snap in the league? How many talking heads declared RG3 the next Cam Newton? Why don’t we wait to see if he’s the next Cam or the next Vince Young. He is a one-year wonder from essentially a mid-major who played in a spread offense in the college conference most like the arena league…..NO DEFENSE. Time will tell but I know one thing absofrickinlutely…he will NOT be taken before A. Luck…and I got ten fresh hundies to back up that statement.

52. brownsfandrinkingmakersmark says: Feb 24, 2012 4:32 PM

Get him Brownies. Please. Give us fans something… anything… to be optimistic about.

53. briang123 says: Feb 24, 2012 4:39 PM

Why would the Eagles interview him, someone asked? Why not? The Eagles have the 15 pick and should be talking to the top 25 prospects outside of Andrew Luck. What if Fisher called and said for the #1 pick I’ll take your #1, one of your #2′s, a few other picks, and Jason Babin? It won’t happen of course, but let’s say the Rams wanted to talk. You have to be ready and you have to do your diligence on a guy like RGIII. The other way to look at it is that there is a real chance he’ll be a Redskin and the Eagles will be seeing him twice a year for a decade or so. Nothing wrong with getting to know thy future enemy.

54. chocolatebaconbutter says: Feb 24, 2012 4:42 PM

This is the only time of the year when we hear smack talk from Browns and Redskins fans.

55. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 24, 2012 4:51 PM

” The media is desirous of a black QB playing well.” –Rush Limbaugh talking about Donovan McNabb, while rg3 does indeed look great thus far, the media fawning over a 1 year wonder from Baylor is a bit over the top…..makes me wonder if he was a cracker would he get this coverage…or if he was a honkie and Matt Barkley and Landry Jones were coming out, would he even get noticed. Not a statement about him, a statement about media treatment of him….

56. chocolatebaconbutter says: Feb 24, 2012 5:09 PM

Ninja Turtle socks? Weak. I want the guy I’m going to war with wearing He-Man socks.

57. godzilla111111 says: Feb 24, 2012 5:24 PM

I wonder how many times the folks who commented saw him (or Luck) play?

58. jebdamone says: Feb 24, 2012 5:40 PM

can we get a link to the press conference? I would like to see that and can’t find it

59. cloudchamber2992 says: Feb 24, 2012 5:43 PM

eleventyeight says:

I’ll tell you one thing that separates (I took the liberty of correcting your spelling). Luck from RGII- academics.
    It takes as much in the brain as in the brawn these days as a QB.
    I admit i don’t know either player’s GPA, but i’ll betcha Luck’s is higher…
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Robert Griffin III: He graduated with a 3.67 GPA in political science (deans list) / he is pursuing his masters in communication. Andrew Luck: 3.55 GPA as a architectural design major at Stanford. Baylor is ranked 75th out of 262 in academic rankings and Stanford ranks 5th. Not too shabby by both.

Stanford’s a far tougher climb, but that’s not too shabby

60. vipod4ever says: Feb 24, 2012 5:50 PM

Yes, players from “Baylor” due speak intelligent.

61. jckid21 says: Feb 24, 2012 5:56 PM

RGIII or BUST? Nah…..RGIII will be a BUST

62. theghostofjackkentcooke says: Feb 24, 2012 5:57 PM

The skins need to trade up to get this guy. whatever it takes to end the 20 years of futility. Even if he doesnt live up to the hype – and with the hype at this level it would be hard – he will breathe life into the franchise. At this point, there should be no one that is untouchable to ship to the rams with the picks to get it done.

63. laeaglefan says: Feb 24, 2012 6:04 PM

Luck is this year’s Tim Couch. Griffin III is this year’s Donovan McNabb (for whatever that’s worth). That’s why the Eagles and Andy Reid interviewed him. They’re considering trading up to get RG3 and vow to succeed where McNabb failed.

64. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 24, 2012 6:06 PM

Andre Ware, Akili Smith, Heath Schuler, David Klingler, Ryan Leaf…..

65. bodester says: Feb 24, 2012 6:07 PM

My gut tells me Luck will be a bust

66. schlonkie2 says: Feb 24, 2012 6:08 PM

HE SAID IT WOYLD BE AN HONOR TO PLAY THE BROWNS??

————————————————

Great use of CAPS LOCK.

2nd or 3rd? Which one is it?…ill wait for you to mull that over.

Never mind, that whole sentence was mind numbingly incoherent. You can stop mulling.

Im glad you speak for the organization and know what they really want…I think I found a couple guys you would like…Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart. All are over 6’4″ and have good arms…accuracy, leadership? Im not so sure about that but hey, you dont need that anyways right?

67. blackqbwhiterb says: Feb 24, 2012 6:17 PM

Tim Couch, Scott Mitchell, Art Sclichter, JaMarcus Russell…..

68. njsteeler says: Feb 24, 2012 6:22 PM

Lucks supposed to be the next John Elway. RG3 is the next…Michael Vick?

———————————————-

jhart…., do you even watch football? A comment like this makes me wonder. What about Luck reminds you of Elway? Please tell me. Elway was a mobile QB with a friggin cannon for an arm. He was an athletic QB. Now, while Luck does have more mobility than given credit for, he is no where near John Elway in this category. I’m not even going to talk about there arms. On to RGIII. The next Vick? This statement tells me a lot about you. I’d be willing to bet that last year this time, you were on PFT saying that Cam was the next JaMarcus Russell. Come on, you can admit to it! Robert is bigger (So happy that he measured in at 6′ 2.5) than Vick. He is light years ahead of Vick as far as accuracy, and knowledge of the passing game at this time in their careers. Vick was a pure athlete playing QB coming out of college. RGIII is a QB that happens to be athletic. Your comment was ridiculous, but thanks for the comic relief that you have provided today!

69. tombreck says: Feb 24, 2012 6:28 PM

I’m a Brown’s fan but this was misreported. I believe he didn’t say “it would be an honor to play for the Browns”.

He clearly said, “it would be a horror to play for the Browns”.

70. redskinroro says: Feb 24, 2012 6:30 PM

The only reason Eagles met him is to see what thet will be faced with twice a year!!! httr

71. whatswiththehate says: Feb 24, 2012 7:21 PM

hendawg21 says:Feb 24, 2012 3:51 PM

Someone mentioned GPA’s RGIII 3.67 Andrew Luck 3.55
    ———————–
    Thank you.

I had a feeling RGIII had a higher GPA than Andrew. If Andrew’s was higher, the media would have been using it as more grounds to prove that Andrew is a the better QB and deserve to go off the draftboard first. The desire to push this Andrew Luck kid based on nothing more than “we say so,” is simply ridiculous.

Can’t believe those in the media has such a stronghold on the NFL that the old stereotypes about blacks being more inferior than whites intellectually is still being pushed hard and believed automatically.

Also, with the amount of boasting of Luck’s intelligent , I thought his GPA would have been around 4.0. I’m 47 years who went back to college two years ago, and my GPA is almost as high as Luck’s, and would have been higer had I not failed a class that has been my weakness.

Even more reason to ask the question, what really makes Luck more superior to RG III that the number 1 draft posistion is locked down by him?

72. whatswiththehate says: Feb 24, 2012 7:32 PM

manzoa says:Feb 24, 2012 4:25 PM

——————-
    So you have a problem with RGIII being compare to other black QBs but you don’t have a problem with Luck already receiving his crown of glory and predicted to be better than every white successful QB in the NFL. hmmmm….I got your number.

And please spare me with the one year wonder nonsense. That was already played on Cam. Go find another stereotypical script to use on RGIII. I sure u can find one.

73. wickerphil says: Feb 24, 2012 8:30 PM

OK, now the racists are calling a 3 year starter (who would have played 4 were it not for an ACL tear) a 1 year wonder. Well, in 2010, RG3 threw for 3500 yards and 22 TDs against 8 INTs at 67%, when he led Baylor to their first bowl appearance since 1994. RG3 had a better year in 2010 than did #8 overall pick Blaine Gabbert (3200 yards, 16 TDs, 9 INTs, 63%, 127 rating) and #10 overall pick Jake Locker (55% passer, 2300 yards, 17 TDs, 9 INTs, 124 rating) and #15 overall pick Christian Ponder (61.5%, 2044 yards, 20 TDs, 8 INTs, 136 rating). So on merit, RG3 SHOULD have been the #2 QB taken had he come out LAST YEAR!

Calling Baylor a mid-major … since when did the Big 12 become a mid-major? Were they a mid-major when Texas beat USC for the national title in 2005? Or when Oklahoma beat FSU for the 2000 national title? Or when Colorado and Nebraska won 4 national titles in the 90s? When Oklahoma won all those titles in the 80s? And was Baylor a mid-major team when Grant Teaff took them to all those Cotton Bowls? You guys are just making up stuff now.

As far as white QBs getting overlooked for him … how when Andrew Luck is the consensus #1 guy? And Matt Barkley would have been the consensus #2 guy had he come out this year. He will be the consensus #1 guy next year. AND THERE IS NOBODY ELSE. After Luck and RG3, the next QB is Ryan Tannehill, a guy who started like 18 games in his college career after being moved from WR, and led Texas A&M to a 7-6 season this year that got their coach fired after being a preseason #10.

Admit it. You guys don’t want him to succeed because he is black. If too many black QBs are in the NFL, you guys will stop watching. It has nothing to do with character. It has nothing to do with merit. It is because he is black. Period.

74. ayyyeh says: Feb 25, 2012 5:39 AM

There’s too many tells in the press conference.

He is genuine.

But you can have fun and be a nice guy to random strangers, but he’s just saying the right things, the fact he touches his face 10 times in a 3 minute span shows there’s something behind the veil and he’s schmoozing. People forget the presidents we don’t remember were inaugerated because they stood at the podium and spoke like rg3 – do you remember who they were?

75. ayyyeh says: Feb 25, 2012 5:50 AM

It’s called the Attibution Error – see Malcolm Gladwell in the New Yorker on the psychology of first impressions – it’s about how likable people taint unconscious brain mechanisms overvaluing sound reasoning and judgment. The main idea is Rg3 seems like a nice guy – but some of the best quarterbacks were deusch bags and the worst were Saints – He’s got a great smile. It’s also the Warren Harding effect.