Robert Griffin III stepped up to the podium at the Combine Friday, surveyed the massive throng of reporters getting in position, and whispered under his breath, “It’s really official now.”
With a microphone nearby, even that comment was audible to those in the front few rows. Everything Griffin says and does over the next decade is going to be scrutinized. It’s hard to imagine another young man more ready for the responsibility.
It’s only a press conference, but Griffin couldn’t have been more impressive, comfortable, intelligent, and funny on Friday. Press conferences are part of the gig to being an NFL quarterback. Teams like the Browns, Redskins, and Dolphins have to be excited about trying to make Griffin the face of their franchise.
“I hope somebody falls in love with me — other than my fiancée,” Griffin said when asked about the Browns possibly “falling in love” with him.
Some highlights from the session:
1. Griffin won’t throw at the Combine, just his Pro Day.
2. He wore Ninja Turtle socks Friday. Naturally.
3. On playing a lot of out of the shotgun: “It’s not the traditional spread where we’re playing out of shotgun all the time. Although we are in shotgun a lot. So was Tom Brady and Eli Manning in the Super Bowl, but that’s beside the point.”
4. The Eagles met with Griffin Thursday night. He will meet with the Chiefs and Browns Friday night. He mentioned the Browns and Redskins as West Coast offenses he could fit in. Griffin said it would be “an honor to play the Browns.”
5. On possibly playing for the Colts: “I’ve talked to Peyton a few times. It’d be amazing for him to play out his career here — and to play behind him. . . . It would be an honor to sit back and learn. I’d hold that clipboard with pride.”
6. On suggestions the Baylor offense is simple: “I’d like to sit down with those folks and show how simple it is. It’s not a simple offense. It’s a great offense. It’s a quarterback friendly offense, but simple would not be the word to describe it.”