Stevie Johnson’s agent optimistic after “very productive” meeting

Stevie Johnson AP

The Bills and receiver Stevie Johnson may be able to make a deal before free agency starts.

Johnson’s agent, C.J. LaBoy, told the Buffalo News that he was pleased after meeting with Bills Senior V.P. of Football Administration Jim Overdorfin at the Scouting Combine.

We had a very productive meeting,” LaBoy said. “I’m very optimistic. I’m looking forward to continue talking.”

LaBoy’s optimism comes a week after a report that the two sides were far apart in contract talks. Another report emerged that the Bills had decided not to place the franchise tag on Johnson, but Bills G.M. Buddy Nix denied that report.

The 25-year-old Johnson became a starter in Buffalo in 2010 and has posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Stevie Johnson’s agent optimistic after “very productive” meeting”
  1. stubbyjones says: Feb 25, 2012 7:01 AM

Get it done OBD!

2. httr73 says: Feb 25, 2012 7:11 AM

Don’t do it Stevie!

3. jacksonjames4 says: Feb 25, 2012 7:12 AM

I honestly liked this guy a lot…up until that last game where he took that penalty against new england. It wasn’t anything he did in the celebration itself. it was just his lack of respect for his team and coaches. I immediately thought that was a completey selfish move.

4. burm61 says: Feb 25, 2012 8:33 AM

Fred Jackson has to be like “WTF I don’t do stupid stuff where’s my contract?”

5. bills56shout says: Feb 25, 2012 8:38 AM

The Bills NEED to keep him. He’s made some dumb mistakes and has had some big drops but he is still a 25 year old, future super star. Buffalo hasn’t had one of those in a very long time. The Bills need him to keep moving forward

6. majbobby says: Feb 25, 2012 8:39 AM

SJ13 will stay in B-Lo

7. jclii says: Feb 25, 2012 8:39 AM

He drops passes and hurts his team with his immaturity. Not sure I would give him tons of money.

8. stanmark says: Feb 25, 2012 8:44 AM

the penalty he took in the last game was completely selfish. i hope when chan sat him for the remainder of the game it woke him up. same thing happened to vernon davis.

9. pabillsfan says: Feb 25, 2012 8:57 AM

Signing him would be a big deal to me. It would show me that maybe for the first time in a long time, they were interested in winning. Would be nice. The only other thing I’d like to see after that would be to make a big splash in FA. Maybe a #1 receiver. GO BILLS.

10. vegasbillzfan42 says: Feb 25, 2012 9:42 AM

At the end of the day SJ13 will be a Bill! After that we can work on getting us a real #2 receiver. Do the Bills have a shot at Jackson or Bowe?

11. majbobby says: Feb 25, 2012 9:48 AM

Fred Jackson has to be like “WTF I don’t do stupid stuff where’s my contract?”
    —————————///—————————

Burm

Fred Jackson is already under contract. Stevie is not.

There should be two other players with higher priorities come camp before Jackson. Levitre and Byrd have 1 year left as well.

12. dtjano says: Feb 25, 2012 1:55 PM

Fred Jackson is at an age when rb’s careers generally end. The Bills have Spiller I also think Levitre and Byrd should be re-signed before Jackson.

13. 49ersgiants4life says: Feb 25, 2012 1:58 PM

Don’t sign him so my niners can get him! Stevie, crab and vd would be a formidable group Stevie just needs to block!

14. dtjano says: Feb 25, 2012 3:57 PM

Reports are they’re meeting again tonight.

15. yanksbills says: Feb 26, 2012 10:08 AM

The Bills will get this one done. Lee Evans, Eric Moulds, the Bills love a great receiver they can lock in for 5+ years while ensuring the kid never sees the playoffs.

Johnson is a goof, but he’s still young. I’d rather have a guy like Stevie who actually likes Buffalo, likes playing in Buffalo, and isn’t an a-hole. Just a guy who doesn’t understand the business side of football, but he’ll get it.

Jackson won’t be signed until after Johnson, and deservingly his contract should be worth more than Johnson’s. After being in a position to lead RBs in rushing yards and total yards last season he’s proven himself, and should be earning at least what his backup is making.

Give Jackson 5 years @ $12 mil
    Give Johnson 6 years @ $10 mil

I should be running this team.