Washington’s Chris Polk sheds weight for Combine

Chris Polk AP

University of Washington running back Chris Polk generated mixed reviews at January’s Senior Bowl, largely due to a feeling that he was too heavy and lacked explosive burst in practices. Polk measured 5-foot-10 1/2 and 224 pounds in Mobile four weeks ago.

On Saturday at the Combine, Polk measured in at 215. He’s reacted to the criticism and shed pounds, nine to be exact.

“I would definitely say that the Senior Bowl weigh-in was definitely a wake-up call,” Polk said of his weight, according to Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times. “I wasn’t really comfortable with my weight. I didn’t like being that weight. … I’m like, yeah, something’s wrong here. I just wanted to lose weight for me as a personal thing to show GMs and coaches that I’m dedicated and I do care.”

Polk was a highly productive collegiate, averaging 5.07 yards per career carry as a 40-game starter for the Huskies. He was twice a first-team All-Pac 12 pick and did not miss a game from the 2009 season on, showing durability.

Polk’s weight loss should not only allay concerns about his conditioning, it should help him in the forty-yard dash.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Washington’s Chris Polk sheds weight for Combine”
  1. billybone says: Feb 25, 2012 5:57 PM

Whatever team ends up with this young man will not be disappointed. Jake Locker got a lot of attention at Udub and rightfully so, but this guy is a deadly killer who can run it up the gut, outside, screen, and can even go deep.

2. snoqualmieterry says: Feb 25, 2012 8:11 PM

Mark my words, Polp will be a better back then Trent Richardson and he is a good receiving back too. I hope the Hawks draft him in the 2 nd round. He would be a steel in the third.

3. mrslay1 says: Feb 25, 2012 8:42 PM

Better than Richardson…Please. If there is one player in this draft that a gurantee at his position. Polp would be good in the 3rd round which is probably where he will go. And no I’m not a BAMA fan, just telling the truth. This guy is a beast and I am glad to see him out of the SEC!

4. burntorangehorn says: Feb 25, 2012 8:55 PM

Polk’s a really nice all-around back. He’s not really elite in any one area, but very good in almost all. That and his size remind me quite a bit of Shaun Alexander.

5. itsmebobd says: Feb 25, 2012 10:24 PM

Lamar Miller is my first choice, but if Polk OR Miller are available when the bengals pick in the 2nd round, they would be crazy not to draft either of them. Polk is great, but I really think Miller is a tad better with his vision and shiftyness

6. bleed4philly says: Feb 26, 2012 12:31 AM

He’s already had over 750 carries in college, buyer beware.