Mayock presses Griffin on not throwing at Scouting Combine

2012 NFL Combine Getty Images

On Saturday, NFL Network’s Mike Mayock looked into the camera and pleaded with Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Justin Blackmon to fully participate in the Scouting Combine workouts on Sunday.

On Sunday, Griffin visited the main NFLN set at Lucas Oil Stadium, and Mayock pressed the Heisman winner on his decision not to throw passes to the assembled receivers.

“I thought it was in my best interests not to come and throw to guys I haven’t thrown to before, running a game plan I’m not familiar with, and in an environment that I’m not prepared for,” Griffin said in response to a question from host Rich Eisen regarding the decision not to show off a multi-million-dollar arm.  “So I’ll do it at my Pro Day, it kind of helps out the guys at Baylor that are coming out, they can get more scouts there and watch us do our thing.”

(Actually, Griffin could have thrown at the Combine and at his Pro Day.)

Mayock then pressed Griffin a bit, pointing out that Griffin said “I’m a competitor” in audio that played before the interview.  “Don’t your juices get going a little bit when all the boys are throwing out there and you’re standing there in sweats?” Mayock said.  “Every decision maker in the league is here.  Don’t you just want to get there and rip it?”

“I really did,” Griffin said.  “I kept inching forward.  The Cleveland coach was telling me he could see it in me.  He saw that I wanted to be out there throwing.”

The question of the team for which Griffin will be throwing come September remains wide open.  Griffin said that his Combine interviews included sit-downs with the Browns, Dolphins, Redskins, and Chiefs.

But not the Seahawks.

“Ah, that’s the team that’s gonna move up and take him!” Mayock said, pointing out that the Broncos and former coach Mike Shanahan showed no interest whatsoever in Jay Cutler before trading up with, coincidentally, the Rams to draft Cutler in 2006.

Though Griffin’s decision not to throw won’t affect his draft stock, it would have made the Sunday afternoon games of the underwear Olympiad slightly more interesting.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Mayock presses Griffin on not throwing at Scouting Combine”
  1. melikefootball says: Feb 26, 2012 1:15 PM

Don’t gret it. The NFL should require these guys to throw, run , kick, catch, tackle, whatever at the combine. These draft choices expect to be paid and get drafted but don’t want to show what they have. What kind of bull is not wanting to throw to someone they don’t know. What happens when they go to a NFL team, do they bring all their receiver buddies?

2. raideralex99 says: Feb 26, 2012 1:18 PM

It figures … he’s thinks he’s a superstar already … “I don’t have to prove anything.”
    Unless the Colts signed him already … why have the combines?

3. xLith says: Feb 26, 2012 1:18 PM

I agree with Griffin. Throwing to random players you’re not used to is a stupid idea right before the draft… If people want to see him throw, watch some Baylor games… Otherwise we’ll be seeing it next season I’m sure.

4. worldwidebleater says: Feb 26, 2012 1:20 PM

I like Mayock, but he needs to leave this kid alone. Griffin has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

5. peopletrains says: Feb 26, 2012 1:22 PM

I am pretty sure that scouts and GMs know that these players are throwing to players that they are unfamiliar with… i.e. its a lame excuse. Be a competitor and throw the damn ball.

6. lastl00 says: Feb 26, 2012 1:22 PM

The Rams are not trading a pick/franchise QB to a division rival. No Way.

7. jusjamn says: Feb 26, 2012 1:23 PM

Seahawks won’t take him. Too afraid to throw, too afraid to lead. To afraid to tell his advisers to stick it. Seahawks should get DeCastro or big DE and get Moore later.

8. badrad1532 says: Feb 26, 2012 1:24 PM

Makes sense! its his money that he is either making or losing! Wouldnt it be great if he fell to #4 and we(browns) still had #22 from the Falcons, Thats the good life

9. ticalcaldwell says: Feb 26, 2012 1:25 PM

I would love to see him throw too…what if he just has a bad day…could lose millions….I wouldnt throw either…and neither would you

10. annes22 says: Feb 26, 2012 1:26 PM

raideralex99 what are you talking about? The Colts are probably signing Luck. This is about Griffin in case you didn’t read above.

11. pudgalvin says: Feb 26, 2012 1:26 PM

I get what Mayock is doing, but in reality these guys have nothing to gain by doing this. Anyone really think Tannenhill is going to leapfrog Griffin because of a combine showing? He’s already assured himself of going number 2 already, no need to give GM’s reason for pause.

12. eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 26, 2012 1:28 PM

I agree with griffin, because it’s system that allows you to makw that kind of business decision, not because I think it’s not stupid for qb’s to be at a scouting combine and not throw. A system that rewards that is what we have though, so smart by him. Throwing can only hurt your status if you are a consensus top 5 pick, so why throw?

Again, I understand why they aren’t throwing, but I think it sucks all the same, and I’d look down upon a QB I’m thinking of drafting, as a GM, for not throwing. Personally.

13. eaglesnoles05 says: Feb 26, 2012 1:31 PM

Peopletrains – EXACTLY. I see a guy who puts his money as a top 5 or top 15 pick before football. Whether that’s smart or not, only the player can say cuz it’s his life and his money. But if I’m looking for a football player, it’s a con if he healthy-scratches him self from the “throwing” drill at the combine as a QB. Goes towards character and leadership and team first mentality.

14. dlmcc1010 says: Feb 26, 2012 1:32 PM

He’s going to be drafted either second or third overall right now. He can come out there and throw like Joe Montana and it wont get him to #1. But if he comes out there and throws like Rex Grossman he may slip. There is absolutely no reason for him to risk anything

15. theinfiltrator says: Feb 26, 2012 1:42 PM

The reason Mayock wants him to throw is to improve the TV ratings for the NFL network. Combines help late first through 4th round guys move up. It does nothing for the elites at the top.

16. wickerphil says: Feb 26, 2012 1:50 PM

Had Luck thrown, RG3 would have also. But since Luck didn’t throw, RG3 had no chance to beat him out. Instead, it would have been RG3 versus Foles/Tannehill/Osweiler and a bunch of workout wonders from Taxidermy Tech.

Mayock works for the NFL, and represents the NFL’s position. The NFL wants the combine to be this “made for TV event”; they wanted RG3 and Luck to throw so everyone would watch on the NFL Network. Well, let the NFL promote their own combine, and Luck and RG3 promote their own careers.

Yes, Cam Newton threw last year. But Newton was an option QB with 1 year of college ball under his belt. The BCS title game was the only one where Newton threw more than 30 attempts. So he needed to give scouts and GMs as many chances to see him throw as possible.

Not so with Luck and RG3. Those guys were 3 year starters in passing offenses. Luck threw for 3500 yards last year; RG3 for 4300. If you want to scout them, pop in a tape and watch their games this year (or last year or the year before), there is plenty to look at until their pro days in 3-4 weeks.

17. dryzzt23 says: Feb 26, 2012 2:00 PM

If RG3 is THAT damn good then he should throw. His reluctance to throw tells me that there are weaknesses that he’d rather not have exposed, and that in itself it a weakness

18. clayton43 says: Feb 26, 2012 2:00 PM

Mayock should just shut the hell up and shame on them for letting him prode him like that …. His agents are the ones telling him not to do it and how it will cost him if he does badly …Who the hell is Mayock to be telling a kid what to do or anyone else that has no stake in his future at all…

That being said…I think the system and rules should be changed..You come to the combine and do Everything or you just dont come at all…Let the focus be on the players who do everything and if a player chooses to wait until a pro day or whatever then let them just wait till then. I also think that the reasons for not throwing to a familiar person, a familiar setting, routes ect ect.. is complete bullcrap. Either show what ya got or get the hell out of the way so the focus can be on the players who want to.. but either way, no reason for Mayock to be calling someone out.

19. couchfandotcom says: Feb 26, 2012 2:03 PM

The NFL is going to put an end to all this… they will not allow the combine to be obsolete. If you don’t throw/workout at combine then they’ll be no interviews, etc…

20. slobberknockered says: Feb 26, 2012 2:04 PM

Hmmmmm, They call out RGBII but not The great Mr. Luck, hmmmmmm. I wonder why. Hmmmmmmmm…

21. rexachss says: Feb 26, 2012 2:07 PM

I’m sure he has insurance, but why take a chance…besides…he not the 1st College player not to fully participate @ the combine & wont be the last. Kiper & Mayock get paid to run their mouths.

22. jckid21 says: Feb 26, 2012 2:08 PM

Why would a wide reciever throw at a combine anyway?

Makes no sense…..RGIII = EPIC BUST!

23. 1liondriven says: Feb 26, 2012 2:11 PM

As a man…Mayock is a steaming pile of crap.

24. supremeomega says: Feb 26, 2012 2:11 PM

Let’s just cut to the chase.

This is all because he is an African American…

Both Luck an RG3 are incredible prospects. Both should be good in the NFL. Neither are sure bets. Luck is a better prospect. Many People hate on Griffin because he is Black.

Some are smart enough to see that he didn’t play in a pro style and tore an ACL. Those are valid concerns. The rest duck as intelligence, run first etc. are because of prejudice

25. gacoltfan says: Feb 26, 2012 2:12 PM

He’s not get downgraded by any GM for not throwing. It’s the correct decision. Not having timing with his receivers would just make him look inaccurate. Better to wait for his pro day. Also doubt anyone that matters is questioning his competitiveness just because he doesn’t throw at the combine.

The comment about bringing his receivers to whatever pro team he goes to is just silly. QB’s and receivers spend hours and hours in the offseason and training camp running routes and throwing to develop timing.

26. wickerphil says: Feb 26, 2012 2:20 PM

supremeomega:

Psi Phi I presume?

27. wickerphil says: Feb 26, 2012 2:20 PM

Yep. Mayock is showing his true colors by pressing RG3 to throw but not Luck. Now I think that Luck is better too, but that is dirty pool.

28. jeff061 says: Feb 26, 2012 2:23 PM

Re: the Seahawks, unfortunetly, with the Rams, in the same division, with the #2 pick, and the Seahawks with the #12 pick – no way the Rams trade in-division and let the Hawks go from T-Jack to RGIII

I wish….but no chance.

29. cliffordc05 says: Feb 26, 2012 2:24 PM

Very simply the decision has been made between Griffin and his advisers. There is nothing to be gained by throwing at the combine. Who the hell is Mayock to question the decision except some clown who would like to pump his network’s television ratings.

I enjoy Mayock’s analysis but in this case he is beating a dead horse. And then shooting it.

30. rtk23 says: Feb 26, 2012 2:27 PM

Who the hell is Mayock? What rhymes with Mayock?

31. jckid21 says: Feb 26, 2012 2:27 PM

supremeomega,

You couldn’t be farther from the truth….This is based on the fact that RGIII played in a conference where the Top 5 High School Teams in the country could put 21 points up against the defenses.

This has nothing to do with race or prejudice….If anything Luck should feel like race is working against him. Outside of one great year in a sub par conference what has RGIII done. Nothing. If anything Luck should feel like he is getting screwed.

I mean this guy has shown over 3 years that he is clearly the best QB in the draft by far. Then RGIII comes along with gaudy numbers agianst teams who rank in one of the worst defense conferences in the nation. Please…..Luck is so superior it isn’t even close. For 2 years Luck has went up agianst teams whose only purpose was to stop him….That didn’t work out to well for the opposition, whereas RGIII only hit the radar this year and played agianst teams whose defense where even worse than what Luck faced week in and week out.

I know some people hate on the favorite, but in this instance it aint about race it is about who is better and Luck is better by so much that some people need to resort to race to bridge the gap!

32. brewcrewfan54 says: Feb 26, 2012 2:28 PM

It’s his choice leave him alone. If teams don’t like it then they can choose not to draft him. Guys in Griffin and Luck’s position stand to gain nothing by throwing at thhe combine.

33. Deb says: Feb 26, 2012 2:36 PM

Just turned on my DVR of today’s coverage and haven’t seen this interview yet, but Mayock’s right. I love RGIII and can’t wait to see what he brings to the league. But the purpose of the Combine is to run drills for your position. Linemen, receivers, etc., run their drills. I’m tired of QBs playing divas and insisting they can only drill in the perfectly controlled environment of their school’s pro day. Either participate in all the drills (unless there’s a medical exemption) or don’t come to the Combine. And this is not unique to RGIII. More QBs have refused to throw in the last couple of years than have participated.

34. themonster49 says: Feb 26, 2012 2:40 PM

Whether his Agent or someone else told him not to throw or not, it was a bad idea to begin with. Just throw. Too late now.

35. gacoltfan says: Feb 26, 2012 2:42 PM

Those of you who are trying to bring race into Mayocks comments. See the post from yesterday…
    ——————————————————————-
    “Andrew Luck.  C’mon,” Mayock said.  “I watched you the last couple years at the Manning Passing Academy, you got nothing to hide.

“Robert Griffin, I have loved watching you throw the football.  You have absolutely nothing to hide.  Come on out here tomorrow, let it rip.  Cam Newton did last year.  Didn’t hurt him.  Let’s have some fun.
    ———————————————————————-

I disagree with Mayock, but claim he is being racist is ridiculous.

36. wickerphil says: Feb 26, 2012 2:53 PM

jckid21:

“If anything Luck should feel like race is working against him.”

So, another SBPDL reader I see.

“This is based on the fact that RGIII played in a conference where the Top 5 High School Teams in the country could put 21 points up against the defenses.”

And yet the teams from RG3′s conference hammered the teams from Luck’s conference during the regular season and bowl season.

“Outside of one great year in a sub par conference what has RGIII done. Nothing.”

Again with the lies. Not only was the Big 12 incontrovertibly than the Pac-12 last year (and the year before) but RG3 had more passing yards in 2010 than Luck did. RG3 had only 17 fewer passing yards in 2010 than Luck did in 2011. RG3 led Baylor to their first bowl game in 15 years in 2010, and had to come back from a catastrophic ACL tear in 2009 to do it. Otherwise, Baylor would have had a winning season in 2009 also.

“That didn’t work out to well for the opposition, whereas RGIII only hit the radar this year and played agianst teams whose defense where even worse than what Luck faced week in and week out.”

Wrong. RG3 was a preseason Heisman candidate this year based on his 3500 passing yards and 22 TDs in 2010. And in TCU, Baylor played a better defense than Luck and Stanford played all year long. The truth is that Stanford didn’t play against a single elite defense the entire 3 years that Luck was there. And here’s another thing: Luck had the much better team. Stanford will produce 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick this year, and will have even more next year when all the guys from their defense (and the rest of that great OL) comes out. Meanwhile, at Baylor it was just RG3, Wright and a bunch of guys, and Wright only emerged this season. Where Stanford had a top 25 defense, Baylor’s defense was ranked 109 out of 120, and gave up 35 points a game.

And this has everything to do with race. Why else is RG3 being compared to Akili Smith, Michael Vick and JaMarcus Russell, guys who have NOTHING IN COMMON WITH RG3 BUT THEIR RACE? No one denies that Luck is the #1 prospect. It is people like you that are just angry that RG3 is even being compared to him.

For the “he had one good year” liars like you, compare RG3′s numbers last year to those of Jake Locker, who went 8 overall, Blaine Gabbert, who went 10 overall, and Christian Ponder, who went 15 overall: it isn’t close. Gabbert was the only one of the 3 to even win more starts than RG3 last year, and none of them came close to RG3′s stats. Ugh …

37. harrcwwh says: Feb 26, 2012 2:57 PM

Skins to offer Rams their #1 (6) , #2 (39) , #3 (70) this year and at least their #1 next year for RG3

For Browns to make a better offer, they would have to offer Rams their 2 #1 picks (4, 22), #2 (36) and probably their 3rd and or 4th rounder.

As a Browns fan, I think it is imperative the Browns do whatever it takes to get RG3 but I do not believe the Browns would match or better the crazed offer made by Dan Snyder, especially since this report indicates they are willing to go much further to get him.

38. trojan33sc says: Feb 26, 2012 3:01 PM

Why should RGIII bother? The Colt owner’s have ONLY commented on drafting Luck and have stated that “they don’t care if RGIII flies as they’re taking Luck” so why concern themselves with pressuring him to throw. It’s a joke and the best to come out of the situation is to be drafted second behind Luck. Ridiculous……………………………Mayock is only trying to create more drama. Move along nothing to see here.

39. therealjr says: Feb 26, 2012 3:01 PM

I agree with the general sentiment on here. Come and participate or don’t come. Unless you have a valid medical excuse, there should be no exceptions.

40. jckid21 says: Feb 26, 2012 3:11 PM

RGIII=BUST….Live with it! You will see!

41. santolonius says: Feb 26, 2012 3:23 PM

if none of this was going to be on television or chopped up and shown in recap stories ad nauseum, i would concede mayock his point. but it seems to me the tv crowd is just trying to guilt trip the players into adding value to their bogus programming, not adding value to the players’ draft stock.

42. Spencer says: Feb 26, 2012 3:27 PM

Why was RG3 being pressured to throw? Luck didn’t throw and no one is calling him out about it. A lot of quarterbacks have skipped throwing at the combine. Why is it only an issue for RG3?

43. hatesycophants says: Feb 26, 2012 3:36 PM

Hey jckid21,

Why do you appear to want Griffin to be a bust?

44. wickerphil says: Feb 26, 2012 3:44 PM

jckid21:

Can’t deny anything that I say. Again, you are just another SBPDL reader who doesn’t want ANY black QBs in the NFL. Period.

gacoltfan:

Regarding MAYOCK, I never said that it was racial. Mayock LOVES Griffin III. (It is the other KKKers on here, especially the ones who compare him to Mike Vick, JaMarcus Russell and Akili Smith … don’t get confused).

I just pointed out that it was dirty pool for Mayock to make a major spectacle, a direct confrontation before the cameras, of RG3 not throwing and not do the same to Luck. I suspect STRONGLY that it is because Luck is the #1 guy, the new face of the NFL (replacing Manning) and Mayock doesn’t want to generate bad PR. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mayock got instructions from the NFL not to embarrass Luck. But RG3 on the other hand was fair game …

45. tachyeon says: Feb 26, 2012 3:48 PM

LUCK = SUCK live with it jckid21

46. macker1283 says: Feb 26, 2012 4:02 PM

Theres no reason for him to throw. It could only hurt his stock. What do people not get about this? Why does the media have to bring this subject up every year?

47. kinggw says: Feb 26, 2012 4:25 PM

I find it comical that some of you equate a meaningless exercise like throwing at a combine with leadership.

48. zn0rseman says: Feb 26, 2012 5:20 PM

One reason and one reason alone that the Seahawks won’t get Griffin, even if they desperately wanted to.

They simply can’t.

The Rams won’t trade with them because they are a hated division rival. The Vikings won’t trade with them either, because the Bikings and Seahawks have been at each others throats since the Vikings used the poison pill option to pry Steve Hutchenson away from Seattle. Since then the Seahawks used the poison pill to get Nate Burleson out of Minnesota, and they also drastically overpaid for both Sidney Rice and Tavaris “TJoke” Jackson. So, I highly doubt the Seahawks would seek to do a deal with the Vikings to get RG3.

49. oldbyrd says: Feb 26, 2012 5:39 PM

Eagles will move up to take him. Heck Reid knows everything. He doesn’t have to do anything. Just look at his old picks. Brandon Grahm, K Kolb, Jerome McDougal, Nate Allen , Broderick Bun kly. on and on and on

50. Topher says: Feb 26, 2012 5:58 PM

“I’m not running because my agent told me not to.”

Instantly you have answered the question and deflected further questions to someone else. You’ve also shown yourself to be a team player willing to toe the company line (while you are being greedy and flaunting it in the companies face)

its kind of a no-brain win-win response. Surely I’m not the first person to think of this.

51. citiciti says: Feb 26, 2012 6:18 PM

Show me the Money!

52. usmutts says: Feb 26, 2012 6:42 PM

These prospects are invited to the Combine to showcase their talents. If a QB prospect says he’s not going to throw, or a receiver or running back says he’s not going to run, just because he’s not on his favorite field or working out with his favorite guys, then he should be dis-invited completely and barred from making an appearance altogether.

Besides, if he doesn’t have the intestinal fortitude for the Combine, working out in shorts with no opposition, why would you expect him to have any when he has to face real defenders running real defenses with malice a forethought?

53. o0omorriso0o says: Feb 26, 2012 7:01 PM

OK that was a pretty lame excuse on Griffens part. What do you think is going to happen in your rookie year? Your going to be having new receivers, new game plans, and your going to be going to other teams stadiums in hostile places. Its called being a NFL football player. He may be a total bust or be the next great thing. But horrible reasoning behind not throwing…

54. grandpoopah says: Feb 26, 2012 7:09 PM

Why wouldn’t Griffin throw at the combine? Because (1) this is a business and (2) he has everything to lose and nearly nothing to gain by doing so. He’s a virtual lock to go in the top 3 overall (probably 2nd or 3rd) without throwing at the combine. If he did throw and put on the greatest passing display of all time, then he would still be a top 3 pick but probably still 2nd or 3rd. (I doubt the Colts would change their mind on Luck at this point regardless of what Griffin does or doesn’t do.) If he threw and had an off day, he could send his stock plummeting into the teens or twenties. Griffin would be a fool to throw at the combine.

55. randy91 says: Feb 26, 2012 7:18 PM

The NFL Network wants them to throw, because they are televising it. Top qbs have declined throwing at the combine for years. They realize that it doesn’t mean anything. Cam threw last year. It did him no good. It just gave his critics (Mayock) additional stupid things to talk about like his completion percentage at the combine. And all he did was have what some considered one of the best rookie seasons of all time. Qbs will never throw after what happened to Cam Newton. And I don’t blame them.

56. arnoldziffel says: Feb 26, 2012 7:19 PM

Interesting …

Quarterbacks unwilling or perhaps afraid to throw an actual football to actual receivers in front of talent evaluators … yet more than likely expecting to sign NFL contracts that will pay them millions before the next NFL regular season kicks off …

Seriously? Something about that just doesn’t seem right.

I’m not sure I’d have a lot of confidence in having that guy as my starting quarterback this coming season.

57. leftyjsf says: Feb 26, 2012 7:34 PM

From a Cleveland perspective, starting to hear the race card come out when fans talk about not selling the farm on picks to get RGIII here. I am white but I own a jersey of the face of the franchise…Josh Cribbs. Not a race issue here in my opinion.

Things that turn me off about RGIII – although he didn’t have to throw much in Bowl game, I thought the Huskies qb outplayed him. He also showed a “Tebow” type quality of moving in the pocket way to early and giving up on pocket protection. The Browns would also have to make changes to the “north coast” offence to accommodate his talents. Not sure the brain trust is ready to change and I fear this would hinder RGIII.

I can’t fathom matching the alleged Skins offer. The risk is too high.

58. jason1214 says: Feb 26, 2012 10:00 PM

I think RGIII is going to end up being a bust personally, but he really won’t help his stock by throwing at the combine, he could actually hurt it. Seems like a smart, well rounded young man though

59. CKL says: Feb 27, 2012 1:41 AM

randy91 says:
    Feb 26, 2012 7:18 PM
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    Wait…what?????
    If anything that should have the opposite effect. Newton had the guts to throw at the Combine and I will always respect that even though he really didn’t have much to gain. He didn’t do well…and fell all the way down to…the #1 pick.
    I will bet you that the Panthers’ staff was favorably impressed with his willingness to throw.

As for Mayock being a stool pigeon in the ratings game as is the accusation of many here, I can’t agree. Say what you will about the man but he says pretty much what he thinks, not what the network wants him to. Anyone remember his epic on air fight with Schefter when Schefter was still with NFLN and kept wanting to talk about the Pats trade for Moss on the second day of the draft in 07? Anyone hear Mayock asked by Eisen to give a shout out to the fans who were at the Combine and Mayock said “JUST GO HOME”. He doesn’t care about all the frilly stuff.

What the NFLN needs to do is make sure Dukes gets put in a shipping container and sent to Abu Dabi. He’s intolerable, and has been ever since I first heard his “mouth that roared” way back when he was doing radio in Atl.

60. dhillca says: Feb 27, 2012 10:33 PM

Washington will draft him….poor bugger
    Ryan Leaf III