Moss could start making visits after Scouting Combine

OB-KS625_110410_E_20101104102129 Getty Images

Receiver Randy Moss reportedly is willing to sign a contract that contains no guaranteed money.  The next step for Moss will be to put his straight cash where his mouth is by showing up at one or more team facilities and proving that he can still run.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that Moss could begin making visits after the Scouting Combine concludes on Tuesday.  Since Moss currently is a free agent, he can sign before the March 13 launch of free agency as to players who finished the 2011 season under contract.

But why would Moss want to sign before knowing more about the composition of the team he’ll be joining?  Free agency and the draft could change circumstances considerably.

Of course, if Moss drags his feet, a team that otherwise would be interested could fill its needs elsewhere.

So Moss has some decisions to make.  The first is whether he’s willing to prove that he can still run the 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds.  If he isn’t, or if he can’t, the rest of the decisions become moot.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Moss could start making visits after Scouting Combine”
  1. babyhorsemorgan says: Feb 26, 2012 10:21 PM

Moss be rolling, stoned, across the country.

2. babyhorsemorgan says: Feb 26, 2012 10:23 PM

“Straight unguaranteed, incentive based, performance wages, homey.”.

3. jbmartindale says: Feb 26, 2012 10:24 PM

What if he runs it in 4.5 seconds?

4. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Feb 26, 2012 10:30 PM

He’ll take the first offer he gets.

5. genno334 says: Feb 26, 2012 10:33 PM

“I don’t care what they say, I’m in love with you..”

Moss, come home to Minnesota. I know there has been drama in the past with you and Childress; but he isn’t here anymore!

You make the Vikings offense three dimensional EVEN if you quit on the play.

6. realnflmaster says: Feb 26, 2012 10:34 PM

Come to the JETS. Let’s start our dynasty.

7. nygdefenserules says: Feb 26, 2012 10:36 PM

Am I the only one who would think it is cool if Peyton Manning and Randy Moss both signed with the same team? A team with little hope, just trying to sell some tickets…….

If I was a hometown fan of a struggling team, and they brought them BOTH in, I will try to go to a couple of games…just so I could say I saw two of the best ever (at their position) play together, even though at least one of them will be well past their prime!

8. dbones750 says: Feb 26, 2012 10:41 PM

If Randy can’t run a 4.3, he’s still relevant. He’s a crafty guy and he knows how to play football. He “gonna play when i wanna play” so if he “wanna play”, let him play.

9. bcknights says: Feb 26, 2012 10:53 PM

MN sign him you have nothing to lose! NOTHING!

10. larrybrown43 says: Feb 26, 2012 10:56 PM

A rotten person. Remember how he treated the people who cooked meals for the Vikings? And he has no talent and now love of the game anymore. He just misses the money and fame. Hasn’t been a factor in three years.

11. gb4mn0 says: Feb 26, 2012 11:02 PM

nygdefenserules says:
    Feb 26, 2012 10:36 PM

———————————————

That idea was tried by the vikequeefs in the 2010 season. Favre and Moss. Moss exposed himself for the prick he is and Favre… well he just exposed his prick.

12. jason1214 says: Feb 26, 2012 11:15 PM

Yeah Moss would be a great fit in Minny, cause that worked out so well last time. Its not 1998-2006 anymore people, stop living in the past.

13. drgreenstreak says: Feb 26, 2012 11:59 PM

Where did you dream the running thing up? You must’ve been affected by something. No veteran receiver is going to run a 40 for anybody. The last time you do that is at the combine.
    Would be fun to watch Mister Lazy-ass run, though. 5.39 would be closer to reality for his forty.

14. num1eaglesfanyo says: Feb 27, 2012 12:00 AM

@gb lol so true well spoken I think moss will make any team better(with the right attitude) if eagles don’t keep d-jack im here with open arms!

15. rickditka says: Feb 27, 2012 12:21 AM

I prefer to remember his work with the Titans. I hope that POS, crybaby stays unemployed.

16. hoodheisman says: Feb 27, 2012 1:14 AM

Moss will always remain one of my all time favorite WRs to watch. However, I’m not counting on seeing him on an NFL team next season. I think it’s less about whether he still physically has it (he more than likely does)…. but more about how much of a distraction and potential cancer will he be…

All this “Moss TV” and media attention grabbing stuff is the kind of thing that teams are looking to avoid… yet Moss is putting it on full blast… The irony is kind of tragic… Instead of running to the media with this non-sense…. perhaps consider playing arena like TO is doing…. and walk the talk…. show you can dominate at a lower level and do it without being a cancer… NFL team will notice…. But if Moss is not willing to do that… then this whole thing is an act….

17. gimmeabruschi says: Feb 27, 2012 2:46 AM

He has already said he doesn’t want to go to Minny.

Face it, there’s only one team he really wants to play for.

18. goldrush36 says: Feb 27, 2012 3:09 AM

nygdefenserules says:
    Feb 26, 2012 10:36 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Montana/Rice……. Fantasy over

19. andyreidisfat says: Feb 27, 2012 7:22 AM

Moss to San fran I think would be a good fit.

20. sj39 says: Feb 27, 2012 8:56 AM

I’ve always heard he is a good locker room guy and indeed does help coach up the young recievers. If that really is the case I don’t see why any team with young recievers would not want him.

21. abninf says: Feb 27, 2012 9:04 AM

I’d rather have TO (not that I’d want either one). At least he doesn’t quit on the football field.

22. Stiller43 says: Feb 27, 2012 10:28 AM

Free agents should have their own combine, or join in the college one, screw it, its all meaningless anyway.

23. ernie ernie says: Feb 27, 2012 10:43 AM

Yes let a Randy Moss gather no stone.

24. hotlinernfl says: Feb 27, 2012 11:45 AM

Just one Question….

has everyone forgot about R.Wayne !?!?!?!?.. sure Moss is out there.. and ready to play (hasn’t in a full NFL Calendar)… Wayne played last year…. has tread and can still play..

How about Manning, Wayne and Moss on a team.. now that would be a great Free Agency hookup…

Never happen tho..

25. j0esixpack says: Feb 27, 2012 12:38 PM

@nflmaster

At 43 years and counting, the Jets already have a Dynasty without Moss. Just not the kind of Dynasty anyone wants.