With 4.40, Miami’s Miller runs fastest forty among running backs

Lamar Miller

The official forty-yard dash times for running backs at the Combine are out, and Lamar Miller of Miami paced the field with a 4.40.

Rotoworld’s Josh Norris has more:

LaMichael James of Oregon, Ronnie Hillman of San Diego State, and Chris Rainey of Florida tied for second among running backs with forty-yard dash times of 4.45. Cincinnati’s Isaiah Pead and Cyrus Gray of Texas A&M ran 4.47. Virginia Tech’s David Wilson and Temple’s Bernard Pierce had 4.49s.

The aforementioned were the only running backs to break the 4.4s in Indianapolis. 222-pound Utah State underclassman Robert Turbin did run a 4.5-flat.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “With 4.40, Miami’s Miller runs fastest forty among running backs”
  1. glazerh8er says: Feb 26, 2012 3:46 PM

So much for Chris Rainey having “world class speed”, can’t even beat Dade County’s finest. Typical.

2. acerockefellar says: Feb 26, 2012 3:57 PM

I like this guy but PLEASE cincy dont take him in the first.

3. tking63 says: Feb 26, 2012 3:57 PM

Wait i watched James run 4.37 back to back?

4. pgui88 says: Feb 26, 2012 4:10 PM

Rainey and la James both ran 4.37s. Watch nfln.

5. sportsmeccabi says: Feb 26, 2012 4:10 PM

I had high school teammates run faster than that. We went 0-10, but still…

6. dolfan1 says: Feb 26, 2012 4:12 PM

That doesn’t surprise me the Hurricanes are always the fastest!

7. kmank says: Feb 26, 2012 4:22 PM

THA UUUUUUU

8. onlyonebeerleft says: Feb 26, 2012 4:23 PM

Doesn’t surprise me that people can’t read properly. UNOFFICIAL times were listed live and throughout the workouts. The 4.37’s that were shown were hand timed, not the official electronic times.

9. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Feb 26, 2012 4:23 PM

This kinda shows how the best athletes to play football nowadays are taught how to catch or play defense

10. AlohaMrHand says: Feb 26, 2012 4:29 PM

hear that?Thats Al Davis spinning in his grave trying to dig his way out to draft this guy.

11. reddskeletor says: Feb 26, 2012 4:36 PM

The Hurricanes may be the fastest, but their team still sucks (W&L).

12. 13fitzj says: Feb 26, 2012 4:36 PM

Those 4.37’s were unofficial.

13. detroitrollin22 says: Feb 26, 2012 4:53 PM

Turbin is a beast. Im surprised he can even run with the arms he has

14. itsmebobd says: Feb 26, 2012 5:31 PM

Im thinking if Trent Richardson is gone, its going to be Decastro at guard at 17, Lamar Miller at 21 (or trade down to 31 with the pats, and pick up an extra pick as well as get miller at 31!)
    Hope he comes to cincy we need him, bensons garbage so glad he is gone! This guy has amazing vision and shiftiness, as well as being elusive as heck!

15. cappa662 says: Feb 26, 2012 5:43 PM

The Lions should draft this kid!!!!!! He’s Jahvid Best 2.0

16. shieldsisland37 says: Feb 26, 2012 7:22 PM

I hope the Packers take that Turbin kid. That kind of size and speed is just what we need in the backfield. I wonder if he can block?

17. sabotage2u says: Feb 26, 2012 7:34 PM

Did Jeff Demps not run the 40 at the combine? All of these guys were going to be 2nd to him anyways so fastest time is irrelevant. The kid broke the National 100m record for 18 year olds, I don’t know if he can be an everyday down NFL back but he sure as heck is the fastest RB in this class.

18. jm91rs says: Feb 26, 2012 8:21 PM

Jeff demps didn’t run but he admits both him and Rainey have beaten each other in the 40. Running 100m is very different than 40.

I’m surprised Pead ran that fast. I think some team is going to get a steal with him.

19. CKL says: Feb 27, 2012 12:44 AM

I saw that one kid’s name listed on TV as “I.Pead.” I had a nice overly juvenile moment of laughter. I’m not proud…but there it is.

20. chazzmichaelmichaels says: Feb 27, 2012 12:59 AM

L. James will be the best back to come out of this draft. Watch.

21. asw1028 says: Feb 27, 2012 1:01 AM

I like Turbin a lot. The first time I saw him was this year at the beginning of the season when Utah State played Auburn…that was a heck of a game and Turbin ran with a lot of strength and balance, his style reminded me of Marshawn Lynch. He’s fought through a lot of adversity in his life and I think if he is drafted by a team that uses zone blocking then he could be very productive.
    Mike Martin from Boise also looked good. If you have time, go check out his highlights on YouTube from their game against Georgia this season. His performance is impressive to say the least. Georgia’s defensive line manhandled Boise’s offensive line for most of the game but Martin still gained yards and helped open up the Boise passing game by forcing Georgia’s defense to stay honest against the running threat.

22. asw1028 says: Feb 27, 2012 1:04 AM

Sorry I meant ‘Doug’ Martin from Boise but ironically I also like Mike Martin, DT from Michigan–high motor guy, his play style reminds me of Justin Smith but I don’t know if his ceiling is that high, we shall see…

23. canehouse says: Feb 27, 2012 9:36 AM

Miller also has great vision for the open hole… he see’s it, and it’s bye, bye time. The team that get’s him, will have themselves a game breaker.

24. celly84 says: Feb 27, 2012 10:46 AM

glad to see that L. James official time was a little slower than his official time. maybe that’ll keep him in the 3rd round where we can have a Ducks reunion in the Bucs backfield.