Brandon Weeden: My age is my only red flag

Brandon Weeden AP

Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden had a good senior season and a strong Senior Bowl, and he says NFL teams have told him they’re impressed with everything about him, except the one number that sticks out: 28.

That’s Weeden’s age, and he says plenty of NFL teams are telling him they’re concerned about how much future a rookie that old can have.

“A lot is getting put into my age and rightfully so,” Weeden said at the Scouting Combine. “That’s really the only red flag I really have. And fortunately for me, that’s really the only I have to worry about. And fortunately, it’s a small issue. I’m not worried about it. I don’t’ think a lot of teams are worried about it. It’s a tough question to answer. I feel like with all these great quarterbacks, I belong in the middle with all of them. So if I was a few years younger, you never know, maybe I go a little bit higher. But I don’t think at the end of the day when it comes to draft time, it’s going to be that big of an issue.”

Weeden, who spent five years as a minor league baseball player, is being mentioned in Kansas City as a player who could interest the Chiefs. He’s hoping to sell teams on the idea that plenty of NFL quarterbacks have found success only after becoming NFL starters in their late 20s or early 30s.

“Roger Staubach, you’ve got Kurt Warner, I can go on,” Weeden said. “You’ve got Rich Gannon. Think of it, there’s a lot of guys. You look back at my time at Oklahoma State, I didn’t get hit. My body’s extremely fresh. No injuries. I’m healthy. Everything’s good. I think I’ve got a lot left in my tank. Those guys played into their late 30s. A ten-year career in the NFL is a great career, and I think I’ve got every bit of that. And barring any injury, I think I can play for a long time.”

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Brandon Weeden: My age is my only red flag”
  1. h3min1230 says: Feb 27, 2012 7:15 AM

Well he’s definitley mature enough, just a matter of his football tangibles now.

2. canjura says: Feb 27, 2012 7:21 AM

I personally like Weeden, I think he will be a solid quarterback at the next level. Mark Brunnel is 41 years old and he’s still in the league, you’re telling me a 28 year old rookie can’t become a solid player by the age of 31, then go out and have 6 or 7 solid years? I think he could.

3. pocketsstraight says: Feb 27, 2012 7:32 AM

” My body’s extremely fresh. ”

Not really. look at his pitch count in the Minors. He didn’t quit baseball for football. He was out of baseball because he threw out his arm in 2006.

That would be the biggest red flag for me.

4. jacunn2000 says: Feb 27, 2012 7:35 AM

This guy will be a good nfl QB. I am not a Texan fan, but I could see them going after him as a solid back up Shaub (man of glass).

5. donniebmc says: Feb 27, 2012 7:36 AM

How the heck is he 28 and just now coming out?

6. LoCoSu@%s says: Feb 27, 2012 7:38 AM

He can have a solid 7 – 10 year career in the NFL. Thats a looong time.

7. lombardihero says: Feb 27, 2012 7:39 AM

Yeah when your 2 months older than Aaron Rodgers I guess It could be a red flag.

I wish the kid well I hope he gets a solid chance and does good.

8. cowboysfaninpatriotsland says: Feb 27, 2012 7:43 AM

Capt. Comeback served his country before starting his NFL career. Is this guy just another former baseball player who couldn’t make it to or in the majors that has now decided to try and make a life in football?

Weinke won the Heismen and did nothing in the NFL. How many former baseball players, who didn’t make it in the majors has had success in the NFL. Anyone remember Drew Hensen!

9. lombardihero says: Feb 27, 2012 7:51 AM

To the person asking how he can be 28 coming out.

Weeden enrolled at Oklahoma State in 2007 and redshirted his first year.

In the summer of 2009 he married the former Melanie Meuser.

He has great parents and great character he just went to College a little later than most.

10. sportsmeccabi says: Feb 27, 2012 8:05 AM

That’s funny, because I thought his red flags were that he played in a qb friendly offense and a ton of his production came from his stud receiver making awesome catches. Remember the last okst qb with dez Bryant? Me neither.

11. ajknox88 says: Feb 27, 2012 8:12 AM

@donniebmc

pretty sure that was explained in the actual article maybe you should read that again.

“Weeden, who spent five years as a minor league baseball player…”

12. Automatic Otto says: Feb 27, 2012 8:14 AM

Snag him in the second round and you might get a bargain, Mr. Heckert. Go Browns !

13. puckthefatriots says: Feb 27, 2012 8:15 AM

28 years may be his only red flag but it is a BIG red flag

14. teamgoku says: Feb 27, 2012 8:23 AM

I thought he was decent in college but don’t think he is much more then a career back up in the NFL but could come in and start a few games if the starter goes down

15. sophiethegreatdane says: Feb 27, 2012 8:30 AM

Someone used Mark Brunel as an example above. Are you kidding me? He’s been worthless for a solid ten years! The reality is, by the time a QB has reached the early to mid thirties, his team is usually looking for the next guy, and for good reason.

It takes most good QB’s two or three seasons — and sometimes four to five — to *really* get good a reading coverage’s, and understanding the game. Look at a guy like Brees for an example, or Eli. There are far more comparable QB’s who took four or five years to develop than there are QB’s who were productive into their 40’s.

As I type this another name pops into my head: Terry Bradshaw. Look at his early seasons.

Weeden seems like a good dude and I’m pulling for him. But his age is a huge, massive factor, not a small one. If he goes through a normal learning curve, let’s say three to four seasons, he’ll already be 31-32 years old when he figures things out.

That’s about the time teams start looking for their next QB.

16. wtfru2 says: Feb 27, 2012 8:33 AM

The Vikings need to grab him. They always have some old guy for QB.

17. godofwine330 says: Feb 27, 2012 8:40 AM

If he was a 28 year-old running back then I would have concern. But quarterback is the only position other than punter and kicker (do they even count?) that can play deep into their 30’s and maybe the very early 40’s. With the skirts that they have on qb’s nowadays, qb’s can last about that long. It is safe to say that he could still have a 10 year NFL career and retire before 40.

If I knew more about the guy and liked him I wouldn’t have a problem if I was drafting in the lower half of round 1 on down (which I hear draftniks say is where he would be if judged by his talent instead of his age). Running back at 28-no. Any other position why not?

18. The Buffer Zone says: Feb 27, 2012 8:46 AM

Why is nobody talking about the good aspect of his situation?

From his pursuit of pro baseball, he comes into it with a professional attitude. Unlike the rest of these kids coming out of college, he won’t get blinded by the glitz & glammer.

He’s already been on his own with money in his pocket, so he’s not going to easily get distracted.

He’s also seen first-hand how easily it can all go away. That creates a dedication that can’t be taught but has to be learned.

Outside of Luck & Griffin, that might make him the SAFEST quarterback choice out there.

And if you’re looking for a backup or a guy to be insurance to a young QB that might not pan out (McCoy, Ponder, Locker, etc), he’s a low profile guy who could save the day.

Absolutely worth a 3-5 round pick.

19. cup1981 says: Feb 27, 2012 8:46 AM

Worked well for Chris Weinke lol.

I kid… Seriously, a rookie is a rookie, regardless of his age. Yeah, he took some wear and tear pitching, but that is a different and less natural throw than throwing a football.

That’s why you rarely hear of QBs having the same arm issues as MLB pitchers. Plus, there is no awkward wrist and lower arm movement like there is as an MLB pitcher.

20. jm91rs says: Feb 27, 2012 9:06 AM

Looks like Andy Dalton’s success has opened the door for Ginger QB’s everywhere.

21. 69finfan says: Feb 27, 2012 9:18 AM

Age is not a time of life, it’s a state of mind!

22. chiefsandhawkeyes85 says: Feb 27, 2012 9:46 AM

Aren’t rookie contracts now limited to 4 or at the most 5 years? His probably would have been anyway considering he will probably be at the earliest a 2nd rounder. Assuming he is able to prove himself a star player in that time he will still have a good 5-7 years of playing time left. That’s about the length of contract that the good QBs get anyway. He can still have a good career and make a ton of money.

23. medtxpack says: Feb 27, 2012 9:46 AM

@pocketsstraight

cause he had so much trouble throwing the football now didnt he? if his pitch count was an issue, he would have some issues show up in college. he threw for 50 attempts in the first half against Kansas this year.

24. waltdawg says: Feb 27, 2012 9:55 AM

Dear Skins,

Please DO NOT take this guy or Tanehill…We don’t have anymore time to suck.

Sincerely,

The Fans

25. chiefsandhawkeyes85 says: Feb 27, 2012 10:10 AM

The way I see it, it’s no different than taking a RB that high. Your looking at about a 10 year career for either position, assuming they pan out, and QB is more valued.

26. jjbadd says: Feb 27, 2012 10:34 AM

Im beginning to think that he will be the “steal” of the draft. He is going to end up on my Broncos, and if Tebow dont show major improvement in his passing skills, Weeden will inherit the starting job at mid season. Dont misunderstand me, I beleive in Tebow and want him to succeed, but I also have to remind myself at times that the NFL is a tough buisness and players dont always get the “time” they need. I dont think his age should be a factor, but we will see….

27. ufullpj says: Feb 27, 2012 10:39 AM

I’ve seen him play in high school and in college. The kid can flat-out play. Personally, I’d love for him to drop into the 3-4 round and have GB pick him up to compete with Graham Harrell t0 back-up Rodgers.

28. mattolikesthevikes says: Feb 27, 2012 10:45 AM

I like this guy. Like he said his body is fresh and he is mature. I’d take him.

29. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Feb 27, 2012 11:21 AM

As a current 28yo this makes me depressed.

30. hendawg21 says: Feb 27, 2012 11:28 AM

If he lands in the right spot he’ll be fine 28 is not a death sentence, look at all the young rookies who get drafted by the wrong team and fail. Whether he makes it or not has nothing to do with his age but more his individual talent and that of those around him…

31. pocketsstraight says: Feb 27, 2012 11:42 AM

@medtxpack — sure it works now. but 10 years of throwing onto it. The point is, he’s not a spring chicken. He has wear and tear, he has previous shoulder issues…

Throwing a baseball is harder than throwing a football, but repetitive stress issues are chronic. Old QB, who has had a stress issue is a red flag. Age is not the only one.

32. db105 says: Feb 27, 2012 2:20 PM

Ability is more important than age. Most rookie contracts are for 4 years. He’d be 32 when his rookie contract expires. That’s not old for a QB.