Cal’s Mychal Kendricks has a big day at the Combine

Marc Tyler, Mychal Kendricks AP

Few players have helped themselves more at the Scouting Combine than Cal linebacker Mychal Kendricks, who had an outstanding day on Monday afternoon.

Kendricks was the fastest linebacker at the Combine, finishing the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds. That even beat the official time put up by North Carolina’s Zach Brown, a college track star who had an impressive showing and was officially timed at 4.50 seconds.

Kendricks also had the best vertical jump among all linebackers at the Combine, at 39.5 inches, and the best broad jump, at 10 feet, 7 inches. And he looked very impressive in the linebacker on-field drills.

The Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year Award winner last year, Kendricks said he models himself after 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis.

“Willis, that’s who I look up to. I feel like I can move the same way. Very fast, very quick, cat-like, that’s my style of play. I look at him and it’d be nice to be fraction of what he is,” Kendricks said. “I’m a hard worker, tough, I want to win. . . . I’m a competitor. I’ve been a competitor and I think my character will show for itself once I get picked up. I’m not going to sit here and harp on my character, but I mean, they can ask around and they can see I’m a good guy. I don’t get in much trouble, keep to myself, and just I just take care of business.”

He certainly took care of business today.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Cal’s Mychal Kendricks has a big day at the Combine”
  1. peelmybatwings says: Feb 27, 2012 4:11 PM

Well, he’s too big, too fast, and won too many awards for Philly to consider drafting him!

2. detroitrollin22 says: Feb 27, 2012 4:11 PM

He’s a very underrated prospect. Hard hitter, athletic, and smart. He will be a steal for the team that drafts him.

If he doesnt make it in the NFL as a starter, I can see him being one of the best Special Teams Players in the League.

3. rc33 says: Feb 27, 2012 4:18 PM

…they can ask around and they can see I’m a good guy.

————————————-

Seems he’s definitely trying to separate himself from another Pac-12 LB who’s been getting less-than-favorable reviews all week long.

4. paleandpasty says: Feb 27, 2012 4:18 PM

Where is he projected to go? I guess I have to google this.

5. chocolatebaconbutter says: Feb 27, 2012 4:18 PM

This just in: Dontari Poe just ate Mychal Kendricks. And Vontaze Burfict punched him in the face and blamed the guy clocking the 40.

6. homelanddefense says: Feb 27, 2012 4:19 PM

Im not very familiar with him as a player….but I had to chuckle at “I dont get into MUCH trouble”

7. cdjones34 says: Feb 27, 2012 4:26 PM

5’11” 239 is hardly too big for philly lol but i get your pt and I think he is a
    3rd rd grade

8. bearsstillsuck says: Feb 27, 2012 4:44 PM

Cat like? We need more dogs.

9. We'reFineThere says: Feb 27, 2012 4:49 PM

cdjones, the Eagles drafted 5’9″ 230 brian rolle last year and he probably ended up being the best on the team. casey matthews was also 230. 239 is a dream that is out of reach.

10. heyguru1969 says: Feb 27, 2012 5:03 PM

Silver and blue, Jerry. Silver and blue. Look what Von Miller did for the Mile High Club.

11. Broncofanatic7 says: Feb 27, 2012 5:21 PM

Will this guy be around at the 25th pick?? lol please!!
    Dontari Poe had a big day as well. Would love to see either of them in Blue and Orange. But I doubt they will be around.

12. cincyorangenblack says: Feb 27, 2012 5:25 PM

seems like cowboy fans want Jerrah to draft every player that gets a few paragraphs on here…i know they have a large following, but you’d think a few of their fans would have an idea of who they’ll actually target….

13. babyhorsemorgan says: Feb 27, 2012 5:27 PM

How about Luke Kuechly though? Kuechly is bigger, smarter, a whole lot more productive, and put up numbers close to Kendricks across the board. He is going to be scary good. Top 10 talent, although inside linebackers don’t generally get drafted that high.

14. fanfair says: Feb 27, 2012 8:42 PM

Welcome to the Texans organization, son. You’ll love it here on Kirby Drive. And during the season, we have a Parade every week.